• Published 9th Jan 2016
  • 1,045 Views, 27 Comments

Equestrian scrolls II: Return To Nirn - Sanguine Eyes



Impatience still doesn't pay off for Twilight sparkle. Trying to force the Obsidian Mirror to take her back lands her and Equestria in more trouble.

  • ...
6
 27
 1,045

Chapter 2: Royal Decree

“Exactly how different are we talking here?”

Shining Armor stared across the table from Celestia and Luna, who as well showed great interest and some concern.

“Well if what she says is true, then it all makes sense. She spent just under a decade in a war torn world, with everything under the sun trying to kill her. I don’t quite know all the details, but Twilight has certainly changed. I don’t know if it is for the best either.”

“Sister I am certain she is fine. We spent more than our fair share of time in war and battles.” Luna pulled a tall glass of wine closer, as she tried to imagine Twilight fighting wars and killing other ponies. She could not really seem to visualize Twilight actually killing somepony else. Much less actually fighting in the sense that Luna and Celestia had once done over a thousand years ago.

“She has some strange new magic… and not just one, but several whole new skillsets of magic unseen in Equestria before. Even the sound of her voice has changed, the look in her eyes. Oh and she drinks now”

Both Luna and Shining Armor coughed and sputtered. “What?!.... Twilight? Are you sure you are not just pulling my leg your majesty?”

Silent on the subject, Luna found it almost harder to see Twilight drinking than killing somepony. Setting her glass down, she leveled her eyes across the table at Celestia “Sister… these other beings, what these dragonborn…. Does she imply how trustworthy they are?”

Celestia flopped the report on the table. But instead of gesturing towards it, she spoke. “I have heard her speak of them for hours. She trusts them with her life. And I would venture to guess she would give her own life to protect them.” She cleared her throat and grumbled a little. “According to her report, these three lead several entire nations and armies into our world solely to save it from Tyranny.” She glanced over at Shining Armor, who had only received the very light version of what happened during Twilight’s adventure.

He was almost certain that with whatever confusion that thing happened, he had died in it. He did not quite understand everything that happened. Other than the bit with time travel made it all better and now he was ‘not’ dead. “Surely she just hit her head or something on the other side of the mirror. I mean… yeah this is really detailed but honestly, come on let’s just get a good doctor to examine her and we can go from there.”

Celestia forced her hoof down and stared, not aggressively but firmly. “Shining Armor, we know she is your sister. But you have to stop doubting facts. Nopony just leaves through a portal for ten seconds and comes back out, with decades worth of knowledge and power, not to mention the things she brought back with her…” Celestia levitated the small lock box to the table and opened it. The red and black swirling sphere of power before them pulsated with dark power. “THIS!!! Did not come from Equestria or Twilight’s imagination…There is another world out there and she WON'T stop until she gets back into it. I won’t claim I know if this is good or bad for Equestria. But I will say that I doubt we could stop her without greatly harming her, either mentally or physically. This world of theirs is part of her now. Whether we like it or not. Change is coming and it's up to us to make sure it's good change and not bad”


----------------


Fluttershy barfed, making what was possibly the loudest noise she ever had made before. Rarity was busy stumbling around, struggling to close all the shutters to keep the morning light out. Applejack and Rainbow Dash were almost alright, groggy and sluggish. The only two up and fine was Twilight and Iron stomach Pinkie.

“Just a little longer girls… I almost have the medicine ready…”

“Why in the hay does anypony even drink?” Applejack shivered, pulling the bucket closer, though she had only puked once.
Twilight chuckled as she and likely, the rest of ponyville, heard Fluttershy let loose again. “You get used to it… “ She watched carefully as the last of the potion dropped into place. She had a full alchemy set for a long time but this one was rushed together to perfectly mimic the effects of Tamriel alchemy. The ingredients she had to work with were a little shady. But after a few samples she was sure she had a good hangover juice. Giving it a little extra restoration work from her horn. She handed out one for everypony but herself and Pinkie.

“I prefer candy and cake… but wheeee! That stuff had some kick to it.” Pinkie giggled, poking through the other various things they did and made last night. Twilight shared the oh so simple and yet very enjoyable sweet rolls. Which she learned from Baldir of all people. She still laughed every time she remembered him getting bored. And actually telling her that he knew how to bake. She was so sure that the old nord was only good if you wanted a door broken down or a dragon dead.

“Still aint like a party up at Jorrvaskr… heh, no one got their nose broken” Spike laughed biting into one of the few remaining sweet rolls.

“Or at the college. Goodness when Onmund broke out the good mead… Just too many people getting turned into frogs.” She chuckled, but shook it off. She was here now, no matter how much she wanted that portal open again. She needed to wait until Celestia at least had an opinion of it. She could never just let go of Equestria. But if she never made it back to Nirn, just thinking about it made her feel dead inside. She owed them too much to just resign to the idea that she would never see them again.

“Well goodness me Twilight, this skyrim place of yours sounds… well amazing… yet kinda frightening.” Applejack put on her best smile still a bit woozy.

“It’s…. Well it is, I won’t lie and tell you it’s paradise but, in such an imperfect and dangerous world, people turn out different. They have a deeper love of life and their lives generally are fuller…” She hesitated a moment before adding the sad truth. “If not on average, shorter.”

“It actually sounds kinda cool.” Rainbow smiled taking very well to the medicine. She only felt a little off but was already taking to the air happily. “If you do go back, take me with you, I would totally love to fight off a bunch of bad guys and hang out with all those warriors.” It was unclear if she was genuinely interested, or was trying to make Twilight feel better with her usual bravado.

“Well really there is a lot of things you all would love… I’ll bet Fluttershy will make friends with the spriggans in no time at all. They watch over all the wild animals and protect them from people who would harm them. Rarity will be glued to Solitude’s shopping district. I’ll get you introduced to the owner of Radiant Raiment. They make such beautiful dresses there. Apparently, they even once caught the eyes of Queen Elisif the fair while she was still ruling Solitude after her husband’s death.” Both Rarity and Fluttershy seemed to beam with an unsure hope at the thought of such a thing. Even while still battling the hangover. “Oh and Applejack, I can get you in touch with some of the best farmers in Skyrim, perhaps you could swap some secrets. And pinkie… hrmm I guess I can put you in touch with the bard’s college, and you guys can plan parties.”

“They have party ponies over there too?”

“Um … no honestly we will be the only … um talking ponies over there… oh that reminds me.” Twilight ducked back to her makeshift enchanter. She had no soul gems and dared not to just kill something or someone for the power to enchant. Luckily all the Gemstones here in Equestria had very similar power. She could enchant some low level stuff with what she had. “Here…. When we go over we will all need to be wearing something and these pins will disguise you as a human….”

“A what now?” Applejack looked over at Twilight a little unsure.

“Here I’ll show you just let me get a blanket… trust me. You’ll really want clothes when you use this thing.” She wrapped herself in a blanket and fixed the pin on before activating the power. It sputtered and she warped about half way there. Her tail and muzzle remained. Just like the first time she had transformed. She pushed a little extra magic of her own into it and she poofed to full blown human. Everypony gasped in awe. “See here. I'll need to do a little extra work on them before they are ready as you can see but they should help you keep your form. Just don’t lose them.” She flicked the pin off and shrank back down. Happily being able to drop the blanket.

“Ha! I remember back in the college when you first found out why clothes were so important”

A thick blush covered Twilight's face and she threw one of the bottles at spike, who easily ducked under it, making a face at Twilight. It was normal for them. But even aside from all the new from Twilight, the others were shocked. Twilight even if jokingly, was acting out in violence against spike. It was not something completely appalling. But it furthered their fears that the Twilight they once knew was gone. Though, the smile on her face while spending time with them. The sound of her laughter.The tears she shed in pure joy that they were together again. That deep bond was still there. She was still Twilight. And it brought comfort to them all, knowing she was still there for them, even if she was had changed so much.

Suddenly there was an ungodly loud gurgle, and spike belched out a letter hard enough to ricochet off Rarity’s face, making a solid ‘thwack’ before landing in front of Twilight. Levitating it up as she simultaneously applied a small damp cloth she quickly hit with some cold magic to Rarity’s face. The letter opened and her eyes panned back and forth.

“oh… Celestia and Luna want me up in Canterlot. They have a few questions before their final decision. You girls want to come along?”
Rainbow dash and pinkie gave a whoop “You bet! I want to be there for the whole thing!”

Fluttershy just whimpered and Applejack smiled. “We will stay here, at least until Fluttershy is doing better.”

Twilight nodded. She did not mean to cause so much harm with some casual drinking. But she knew it would pass, turning to Rainbow she smiled. “I might as well make somepony happy… Hey rainbow… wanna race to Canterlot?”

Rainbow was both happy and a little shocked. But eager. “You sure you wanna embarrass yourself when I win?”

Twilight chuckled. “It's something I have been wanting to see for a long time…oh pinkie head for the train… we will meet you there.”

Rainbow happily laughed. “You are serious? Awesome let’s see how fast you got since you went off to Nin or whatever…Skyland”

“Nirn… and its Skyrim” She smiled and gestured, but Rainbow shook her head.

“Nah, why don’t you get a head start… give me a good challenge.”

Twilight smirked and nodded stretching out her wings and getting a good position. In truth she was not entirely faster at all from when she left Equestria. But she was a whole lot sturdier of a flier and being the number one way to get around in Skyrim without having bandit trouble. She got quite used to it and built up a good amount of stamina. Especially when she had to learn how to avoid the occasional dragon looking for a bite sized purple snack. Though the main reason she felt confident is because she had something she never had before. And even if she failed it would be fun for both her and Rainbow Dash.

“Ready….” Her wings extended and rainbow let out a chuckled as she yawned pretending to be only vaguely interested. “Seeeeeetttt…” There was an off glow. Twilight’s horn flared green and then white as runes appeared under her hooves and in the air in front of her. This of course caught rainbow’s eyes. “GO!!” With a single flap of her wings Twilight was launched forward, her runes blasted her at impressive speeds, impressive even to Rainbow Dash.

Very quickly Rainbow dropped to ready position and took off after her at top speeds. “You little trickster Twilight!” She laughed happily blasting off after her. She could see Pinkie on the train, watching with a smile on her face as Rainbow slowly began catching up. Looking back for just a moment, Twilight flared up more alteration magic to reduce drag and air pressure as Taara taught her ‘tricked physics’. She increased her speed again with only having to hold her breath as a side effect. Picking up the pace even faster. Rainbow caught up just as Twilight had to take a breath.

“Holy mackerel Twilight… you weren’t kidding… I would call using magic kinda cheating but hey… you are fast, I like that. Come on!!” Rainbow bolted ahead, and Twilight renewed her spells taking in a deep breath. While she was projecting herself along so quickly, the air was being drawn away from her body so only her wings met any resistance. Effectively placing herself in a vacuum so she didn’t need to fight any air currents. Unfortunately it was not quite enough to win against Rainbow Dash. But again she smiled remembering that winning was not the goal. She finally could be a part of this piece of Rainbow’s world. She could bond even closer to her friends because of her misadventure on Nirn. Pausing for a breath she renewed her spells and added another motion acceleration rune which She still had a great deal of trouble placing on thin air.

By the time Pinkie’s train came up Rainbow dash was flying in circles laughing and whipping about like crazy as Twilight gasped for air. “That was AMAZING! Twilight, you have got to teach me how you did that”

She laughed and coughed still trying to catch her breath as Pinkie shot out of the train like a bullet and skidded to a stop. “TWILIGHT!!!!! THAT WAS AMAZING… LIKE TOTALLY AMAZING TWILIGHT!!!”

Still gasping and coughing Twilight smiled. “Hey… I was just what… two minutes late… “

They shared a laugh happily and when Twilight recovered, they started into Canterlot. Pinkie and Rainbow still happily buzzing about Twilight’s new skills. Though they fell silent when they noticed three princesses waiting for them in front of the palace.

“You two please stay here; we just need to talk to Twilight in private…” Cadence’s tone was too obvious; she was terrible at hiding her concern. Rainbow was about to voice an objection but Twilight shook her head shooting down the notion.

“Don’t worry Rainbow… It’s fine. You know nothing will happen here.” Rainbow and Pinkie gave a soft look of concern, which Twilight had gotten used to at this point, but they did not follow as Twilight went inside with them.

The main room had been hastily cleared out and clearly, they had rigged up something for the meeting. A spell circle was at the center and above it, there was a large hourglass with no bottom. “Twilight, please step into the circle.”

Cautiously she obeyed but kept her cool watching everything, even as the large hourglass fell to cover her and the circle. Magic flared and energy harmlessly flowed up through the circle and her into the upper bubble of the hourglass.

“So… this is the world you so badly want to see?” Twilight flinched and looked up. On display above, she could see the fires of Oblivion. It blurred and she could see the college again the mages and the trade caravans. But it all looked too familiar. It was not being viewed as it was. She was seeing this for the second time.

“You are reading my memories?” She was not angry but she was a little shocked that they felt they needed to make so sure. On the inside she cringed. She had held back details, she felt like a fool thinking that Celestia would not have noticed She wanted the whole truth.

“This is the world you want to open Equestria to?” the images flashed over the battles she had lived through the bandits and finally the one point she wanted no one to see not even herself.

He was so friendly, so helpful, New at the college. It was coming close to the end of Twilight’s first year on Nirn, in the college. The young mage’s name was Evanwor. His golden skin always reminded her of the proud magical heritage he always droned on about. And inspired her to learn all she could here. His skill was utterly amazing. He taught her so much in exchange for knowledge of Equestria’s magic. But then that night when it happened. Tears perked up in her eyes as she stood looking out at Luna Celestia and Cadence as they watched. The strike was from behind knocking her to the ground and quickly he had put wards over her preventing her from using her Equestrian magic, binding her hands firmly. She had only just barely started to get the hang of other magics so any real defense was out of the question. She was so frightened she could barely hear his voice. He looked her dead in the eyes with that same charming smile and told her he was going to sell her. She was more valuable as a study subject than a teacher or friend. But the moment his back turned to open the door so he could carry her out. Her bound hands came together forming a long icicle and she plunged it into the back of his neck. He gave such a sad sudden gasp when he fell tot he floor dead. His blood coated her hands as she went into shock. It was an hour before Brelyna found them. She untied her and Taara was notified. Everything was cleared up but Twilight would NEVER forget the pain of the first time she had to kill another being. Tears streaked down her face as Celestia continued to stare at the display. It was not the last time she had killed. Whether in self defense or defense of the college or others the images popped up one after another.

“Is this truly the world you want to thrust yourself back into?.... Twilight….LOOK AT IT! This world is full of death, it's full of dangers that Equestria could never handle on its own. Just look at it. There is a thousand things here that could utterly destroy Equestria.” The images changed to the war showing ponies fighting each other alongside the men and mer. As the Crystal Empire was made into a bloodbath. “I have no choice here Twilight… I am destroying the mirror…” Celestia raised a hoof but was met with a savage shout.

“NO!” The glass cracked and the image blurred as Twilight's body lit up with magical power. Her voice was clear. She was not begging she was demanding it. “YOU LOOK!” Her hoof pointed up at the screen showing Taara’s smile and flashing of their final battle with Melody. “THEY DIDN’T HAVE TO DO ANYTHING FOR ME. They took me in when there was no benefit to it. It was outright dangerous to trust me and yet they risked their lives just to accept me and her…. RIGHT THERE DO YOU SEE IT CELESTIA?....that woman she helped me avenge you… They all did… Melody MURDERED YOU!... and the whole world was under her control. Forced slavery, genocide, what little there was that was left had to hide in fear of the one who really ruled the world.” The images flashed over Celestia’s tomb, a broken and defeated Equestria. The horribly injured Luna, fighting alongside Twilight, against Melody, with the lives of all ponykind in the balance. “These three… they moved mountains… for me, for all of equestria.” The image flashed to Taara’s death, her warm smile sending Twilight back, reverting all of time at the cost of her own life. Torn and burned to nothing. Stripped of all her power and eaten away by time just to save the one soul she made a promise to.

“When Equestria could do NOTHING to save itself or to avenge you… They were willing to give EVERYTHING to do it for us. Celestia… I'm not asking you … I am telling you. By my own right as royalty… I am making this choice. We owe them everything and then some. You always told me to listen to my heart, to take note of what I have learned. And now I am!” Twilight stepped forward and the glass shattered as she looked up at her old teacher who was utterly shocked. “Because of Taara and the others, we have a second chance. Because of them, we are alive and well. Nopony is enslaved and nothing is destroyed. They saved us and you want to just outright abandon them! I WON'T let you spit on their efforts and their love.”

Luna and Cadence both wide eyed Celestia too was shocked but a wry smile spread over her face. “Twilight… you really have grown up… very well. But make no mistake I will NOT put Equestria in danger. If ANYTHING happens I'm shutting that gate forever…. Now you come with me… I want the REAL report of what happened”

Author's Note:

Aye, wrote this while on no sleep at all XD pretty long for one of my chapters but still. Here it is, Ill fix up anything wrong I find with it later. For now just enjoy the story I wrote it for you guys. Ill make it pretty in a bit XD