• Published 10th Aug 2015
  • 3,344 Views, 148 Comments

Lost in the Mirror of Worlds - Meadow_Dawn



Four legs and magic. What kind of mess have I gotten myself into? I only wanted a full length mirror for home, and now I'm in a strange world with no friends or family. Who's this dark horse in my reflections and why is it blocking my trip home?

  • ...
11
 148
 3,344

Cuteseaneras, Curses, and Crimson Lillies

I woke up early the next morning, yawns coming out repeatedly just as the sun started to rise. I looked around and half jumped when I saw Starlight still visible. He was sleeping on the bed, curled up much like a dog would with his head resting on his legs, side rising and falling with each breath.

I slowly got up and walked up to him as intense curiosity came over me before a grin could be spotted on his face, his one eye opened quickly to stare me in the face.

“Morning to you too!” He chuckled, seeming not to mind my curiosity.

I was about to ask Starlight how or if he slept, when a knock on the door rang out in the room, pulling our attentions away from each other and toward the door. I reached out with my magic to open the door, already expecting it to be Stalwart like usual, in spite of the bruises he must still have.

“Good morning Dawn.” Stalwart’s voice rang as he stepped inside, a smile apparent on his face.

“Hi Stalwart. Feeling any better?” I asked.

“Oh yeah.” He smirked, “a whole day and night of resting can do a pony wonders. My bruises are a lot smaller already. So today’s the big day for that little colt, any idea where the cuteseanera is gonna be?”

I smiled at first, only to looked at him in a dazed confusion before remembering the events before the tournament. Glint had given us the tickets to see the play, then we saw the play, and then he did mention something about a cuteseanera. For the life of me I couldn’t remember what was said about it though, let alone where such a thing would be held.

“Sorry, I have no idea…” I hesitated, trying to think of who might know. Suddenly, it hit me exactly who might and with a stamp on the ground, I replied, “maybe Lemon Bloom would know!”

Stalwart smirked in reply, but stood by the door, as if waiting for me to take the lead.

I stepped outside, expecting to hear Stalwart following me when I heard him call back from my room, “Where are you going?”

“School. Where else?” I explained, thinking it’d be obvious that’s where she could be found.

“Why?” He asked, sounding half confused and half leading to a point.

“Because Lemon Bloom teaches there…” I said hesitantly. Something was up, but I didn’t know what. Lemon Bloom still taught at the school, didn’t she?

“And you remember what day of the week it is?” He asked with a broad smile.

“I…” I faltered, trying to think about it. We saw the play, we attended the Demonstration on Friday, which was yesterday. I stared open eyed as the dots connected, and I realized it was the weekend “Oh.”

“Finally put it together huh?” Stalwart chuckled as I walked back into the room embarrassed, “So, what now?”

“I don’t know.” I replied quietly, feeling a bit lost. I didn’t know where Lemon Bloom or Glint lived, and I didn’t know anything about how to celebrate a cuteseanera. “Is there anything special that should be done for a cuteseanera?”

“Just visit and be supportive of them.” Stalwart said, shaking his head. “I know it doesn’t sound like much, but their biggest present was getting their cutie mark. We’re there to congratulate them, lend them our support, and wish them well or give them a present related to what they realized about themselves.”

“Well, that doesn’t sound so bad.” I smiled. “Maybe we can stay until the presents are unwrapped then? It just seems rude to me if we don’t cheer him on without seeing his reactions to the presents then.”

“Sounds like a plan,” Stalwart said as he turned toward the bed, looking at Starlight, “so, what’s brought you around here?”

“Oh,” I started, trying to remember what details from the talk last night related to Starlight, “Celestia wants me to practice keeping him out and about more. Something to do with deepening our bond and figuring out why we’re separate.”

“I see.” He said, looking between the two of us thoughtfully. “Well, it’s good to see you Starlight.”

“Sup.” Starlight yawned before stretching on the bed as a smaller set of hooves echoed through the halls toward us.

“Hey Dawn! Sir!” Glint smiled as he came into view of our room, the door still open. His body seemed to be almost quivering with energy already.

“Morning Glint.” I replied cheerfully, a wave of relief crashing over me. He probably was going to take us to his celebration!

“Morning squirt.” Stalwart smiled teasingly toward him.

“They said I should go play for a while so they could get everything ready, so here I am!” He said, looking between us and spotting Starlight, “Oh hey, you’re here too!”

“Nice to see you too. Kids leaving you alone?” Starlight replied, stepping down off the bed.

I couldn’t help but chuckle. Here I was, worried we wouldn’t have a way of getting to the event, and here Glint was, almost exactly on time!

“Yeah!” He replied eagerly, a grin apparent on his face, “Thanks for your help, that was really cool, how you faded in and out… What’s your name? You didn’t tell me before.”

“Starlight Dusk.” He replied, a gentle smirk on his face as he feigned tolerating the foal.

“Whoah….” He replied in awe, “That’s a cool name…”

I tried so very hard not to laugh. The scene was too adorable, and yet, it was nice to have Glint warm up so readily. It was hard to imagine that he was a shy little colt when I first met him at school, sharing some of my music with him.

“Can you come to the Cuteseanera too?” he asked eagerly.

“I’m not sure Glint,” He replied quickly, his eyes darted around the room for a split second as he tried to come up with an excuse, “Celestia gave me some homework to work on today, but I’ll see what I can do.”

Glint smiled brightly as he jumped almost as high as Starlight’s head height, before hopping around the room in eagerness.

‘Good thing he came along to visit.’ I said to Starlight as Glint chattered with Stalwart, ‘I had no idea how we would follow through on that promise otherwise.’

‘Luck once again, or perhaps your natural clueless charm.’ He replied with a smirk before answering a sudden question from Glint.

When he finally calmed down, we engaged in a little small talk before we followed Glint out the castle. Starlight stayed in the room, only fading out after the door had closed, so as to maintain the illusion. Glint probably wouldn’t understand why Starlight couldn’t be out in public. Admittedly I know we could have come up with a reasonably good excuse to cover up why Starlight was semi-transparent and usually not solid, but Celestia said to leave him put away in public, and that’s what we’d do.

We walked along through the various streets of Canterlot before arriving at a larger grey brown brick building. A lot of activity could be heard through a couple of the open windows, and Glint eagerly stepped inside.

The first floor was madness. Children were everywhere, with a few adults scattered around. A couple snacks had already been spilled on the floor, not that anyone seemed to mind, and confetti was strewn about, as if someone had popped or thrown them all out too early.

“Welcome, welcome, sorry about the mess, here for Glint’s cuteseanera?” A blue mare asked as she approached, minding a pair of foals running in front of her.

“Y-yeah, yes we are.” I nodded, surprised at the level of activity and trying my best not to feel intimidated despite the chaotic environment.

“Good good, we’re all so very happy for him.” She nodded, looking down at Glint, “Go on Glint, say hi to everypony here.”

“Okay!” He said, and with a small sprint chased after some of the other foals to play with them.

“Kids…” I chuckled, shaking my head.

“Only a couple of those here. Were you two looking to adopt as well?”

“Oh no, sorry, I’m used to calling all kinds of children ‘kids’, that’s all.” I quickly replied, very much daunted at the idea of being a parent. I already had concerns about being a parent, and I'm sure i'd be even more clueless trying to raise one that wasn't human!

“Perhaps one day though.” Stalwart said, seeming to shoot a mischievous smile in my direction.

I turned to him, trying to smile, yet giving a look that was half ‘wait, just what are you implying?’ and half, ‘did you really just say that?’

Undecided if I wanted to sigh or laugh at the implication, the loveseat nearby was empty and felt comfortable enough as we climbed on. Another set of adults who were laying across the couch with all four legs up off the floor, I tucked my legs to my underside as I leaned against the tall armrest. Stalwart joined at my side, sitting upright.

Glint was all over the place, mostly with his peers, but occasionally saying hi to a few of the adults. He was running himself ragged so often and having a good time. It was hard to keep track of him while talking with the occasional adult about what Glint planned for the future already.

After a couple slices of cake that had been passed around, many of the foals choosing to just dig their faces into the cake while some of us with magic used utensils, presents were given to Glint. His gifts included a couple sets of performance ready clothes for him that appeared to be slightly too big, but would let him grow into it, and a couple of instruments for him to try his hand at.



After lunchtime I climbed down off the couch. Truth be told, it felt like I was just wasting time, being so clueless about this. We gave our support, it was after the present opening, and I had no idea how to strike up any conversation with the other ponies. My nervousness grew throughout from not knowing how to react and I didn’t want to be a nuisance. Glint seemed to notice almost immediately and rushed up to us by the time we both had stepped onto the floor.

“You’re gonna leave already?” he asked, somehow only slightly out of breath.

“I’m afraid so, I have some things that need to be done back at the castle. Starlight probably is finishing up his homework and I still have mine to do too.” I said, hoping that would suffice. Starlight was just itching to be out and about on his own again, which might not have helped my nervousness, and letting him be with us was technically homework…

“We’ll be back though; I’ll make sure she does.” Stalwart reassured.

“Promise you’ll come to all my shows!” he said, half pleading, half excited.

“I promise to come to all of the ones I can Glint.” I replied, smiling and giving him a light noogie to the head, to which he grinned broadly before rushing off to play with his friends some more.

We left the orphanage, and headed toward the castle, mostly quiet, but my nervous energy from the social anxiety started to dissipate as I slowly relaxed. By the time we were on the hill toward the castle, I was feeling much better, Stalwart turned toward me as Starlight started to form behind us, walking along now that the town was behind.

“Feeling better?” Stalwart asked.

“Yeah,” I replied, feeling a sense of calm similar to settling back down after a storm, “you?”

“Pretty good. Bruises are healing nicely too.”

“Good.” I said quietly, suddenly remembering that he even had any bruises. He didn’t act like he had them at all since he arrived at my room.

“They said it should all clear up in a few more days, which is really nice timing. I was expecting to have them for nearly a week!”

“Why is that?” I asked

“Well,” He paused, as if trying to figure out how to explain, “feel like making a trip?”

“Why do you ask?” I asked hesitantly, wondering why he would ask that question and how it would relate to his bruises.

“Well, I got a message from the guard this morning that I’m required to take a vacation for a full week as my ‘prize’ for competing. I’ve been thinking of visiting my family the next chance I got,” he said, starting to fidget as we walked, “and my family told me in their last letter they wouldn’t mind meeting you if you decided to come along the next chance I got.”

“Wait… your parents asked about me?”

“I may have brought you up in a couple of my letters here and there.” He chuckled sheepishly.

“Oh.” I replied quietly as I thought this through, already walking into the palace and through the halls on autopilot.

I didn’t expect to be asked to meet someone’s family, and my mind instantly wondered why they wanted me to visit as well. My family never had a huge interest in who my friends were, so if they were at all similar, it couldn’t be for that. My mind rushed to find an answer, wondering if the family was going to judge me as a friend or more if he was going to seek approval from them before making his move. My heart started to pound as I worried about what to do or say. I knew I was worried about what the expectation was, but it was also just as likely I was worrying over nothing like so many times before.

“Is there anything I should bring or know or do?” I asked, trying not to sound as nervous as I felt.

“No, no.” He said, shaking his head, “I just thought you’d want a chance to be with good company, and there’s plenty of study you could do there if you wanted. Knowing pops though, he’ll probably insist you listen to one of his old war stories, fair warning.”

“I’m sure I’ll be fine. I’ve talked to colonels a lot before and even a general a couple times,” I smirked, continuing my confident charade, “It helps when you remember that they’re still just a person in the end like everyone else.”

“I see.” He replied, being a bit quieter and thoughtful.

“Are you sure your family won’t mind? I’d hate to intrude…” I asked, half hoping that I could still back out.

“You wouldn’t be intruding, they said they would like to meet you too, remember?”

“Oh yeah…” I replied abashed. “Ok, I’ll go.”

“You really do have a goldfish memory don’t you?” He smirked, getting back to his usual self.

“Only sometimes, but it’s never on purpose.”

“I’m sure it’s not.” He said as we arrived at my room. “I’ll go buy the tickets. We can leave after dinner tonight, so we can arrive there about midday tomorrow. If that’s ok.”

“Sure?” I replied as he left, stunned as to how that progressed and trying not to feel overwhelmed by my own worries. Starlight chuckled as we walked into my room and I glared at him, “What’s so funny?”

“You.” Starlight replied continuing to laugh. “Getting so worked up over this. At best he’s gauging how his family would react to you so he can get his dad’s blessing or something.”

“Help me pack…” I rolled my eyes in reply as I turned away from him and toward my bed.

“Pack what? You haven’t touched that saddlebag Princess Twilight gave you since last night, and you don’t have any clothes to worry about.” He smirked.

“Smartass.” I mumbled, shaking my head, heading toward the bed anyway to climb up on it. I didn’t have any need to sleep, but I was definitely feeling overwhelmed and wanted to relax a bit more before dinner.


----------


“Daaaaaaaaawn.” Stalwart’s voice rang out quietly.

I opened my eyes slowly. It had barely been any time at all since I climbed into bed, he couldn’t be back already. I started to move to stretch but found my legs tucked under me much like Starlight had been this morning, and the air started to feel slightly chilly when I moved until I realized the sun was beating down on my fur, keeping me warm.

“That tired?” Stalwart chuckled, “You’ll be able to rest on the train too you know. Did you pack your things?”

“I did that while she slept, not that she had much other than the books she was given.” Starlight’s voice called out from somewhere behind me. “She always wears that bracelet after all.”

Despite how comfortable I was, I raised my head and fumbled my limbs to get them in place to step down off the bed.

“Have you had dinner yet?” Stalwart asked.

I shook my head, suddenly hearing my stomach growl in comedic response. Aside from the cake at lunch, I hadn’t had anything to eat today. It was a minor discomfort but food would be very welcome. Stalwart chuckled and motioned for us to follow.

Starlight followed behind us, and I could feel his enjoyment of being able to walk the halls freely without looking. Stalwart led us to the kitchen, and there we ate.

Starlight sat nearby, looking around at all the stares he got from the other guardsponies. They didn’t seem to confront him, but it was clear that they were a bit uncomfortable, even suspicious of him.

“Friendly group you got here.” He mumbled to Stalwart.

“Give ‘em time, not too many dark furred ponies around here. With the way your mane is moving, I’d say you’re related to Nightmare Moon if I didn’t know better.”

“That’s,” I hesitated while we picked up our food, trying to remember who that was in the lessons, “that one pony with the thousand year curse right?”

“You could say that.” Stalwart nodded.

“Isn’t that an old wives’ tale though?” Starlight asked. “Like that didn’t ‘actually’ happen, right?”

The room grew very quiet as many of the nearby guards stared openly as Starlight and I shifted in our seats. The tension was so thick it was oppressive.

“I’m guessing I shouldn’t start breaking out into an evil laugh then.” Starlight said loudly, trying to feign confidence to evoke a laugh

The room started to move again, but slowly and with considerably more attentiveness in Starlight’s direction. He shrugged and turned his attention almost exclusively toward Stalwart, his leg starting to tap the floor silently as a nervous tick pulsed between us.



“Hey, let’s go ahead and get some air.” Stalwart said after our silent meal, getting up and heading toward the exit.

I nodded, getting up to follow in silence. Starlight sighed and grumbled under his breath at the surrounding members of the guard, taking long deliberate steps.

“If there’s no objections, I’d like to head to our room.” Starlight said as we stepped into the hall, gaze still turned back toward the dining hall. There was a nod from Stalwart and silence for another minute as we walked before Starlight sighed and continued. “You know, if they weren’t going to take it so seriously I actually think I might have stayed in there. A bit of evil laughter while rubbing my hooves together. Problem is, I doubt they’d be able to take a joke.”

“Yeah… probably best that you didn’t.” Stalwart said, his face barely smiling.

“What do you mean? Did the Nightmare Moon character do that too?” I asked, half intending to tease.

“You… don’t know?” He asked, glancing back at us with obvious confusion as we walked onward, “Didn’t they teach you about it in kindergarten, or on any of your Nightmare Nights?”

“Well yeah,” I hesitated, looking at him with some concern, “but that’s got to be an allegory, right? Or… are you saying that magic can literally change you from one person into another?”

Stalwart slowed as we approached my room, though hesitating to open the door at first. He opened it and gestured for us to go inside. I followed into the room nervously, confused about what the problem was, and fearing the response already. It was not unlike the feeling of preparing for a lecture by my parents, only this time, I wasn’t about to be spanked for misbehaving.

“I heard you met with Princess Twilight Sparkle, yes?” He asked, sitting upright on the floor by the door.

“Briefly, yes.” I nodded, wondering where this would head.

“Did you realize she’s the one who faced Nightmare Moon and broke her curse, turning her back into Princess Luna?”

“No, they never told me anything like that.” I said, surprised at this news of both the princesses.

“Yeah.” Stalwart said solemnly as he opened the door. "You remember our friends Stang and Sable right? Together, we three were chosen to reinforce the guard in Ponyville for the raising of the sun event when Nightmare Moon showed up and attacked. Celestia was taken, and even though we tried our best to protect Ponyville, we were no match for her. It was Princess Twilight and her friends that eventually stopped Nightmare Moon and broke the curse, returning Princess Luna and Celestia both to us again."

“Oh.” I replied quietly. I almost wanted to ask something about how many would know this, or how much others outside of Equestria would know about it, but I couldn’t. Perhaps I could excuse it on the ‘not being from Equestria’ that I’ve used before. My mind wandered to the rest of that lesson, “So, I’ve heard some ponies claim that the Princesses are a thousand years old or older… is that true?”

“Yeah, of course.” Stalwart said, sounding absolutely certain of what he just said.

“Do… do ponies usually live that long?”

“Oh no,” He said, waving a hoof in my direction, “Just the princesses.”

“Oh, so does that mean that Twilight is like, 200 years old or something?”

“No, no.” Stalwart laughed, his big grin returning, “She only became a Princess a few years ago!”

“Wait, became a princess? So she wasn’t an Alicorn before?”

“No…” He said, his laughter starting to fade, “did they not cover that in your lessons?”

“Afraid not.” I said, shaking my head. I couldn’t remember a lesson covering how a pony could become a princess. Admittedly, it was an intriguing idea, and if it allowed for a longer lifespan, perhaps something worth pursuing.

“Well, nothing to worry about. Just goes to show when you said you weren’t from Equestria, you really meant it!” He smiled.

An awkward silence ensued as I gathered the saddlebag and pulled it over my head onto my body with a little help from Starlight. I learned a great deal just then, and I could feel Starlight’s eagerness beside me at the prospects of what this world had to offer. Magic, long life, not to mention some very easily made friends. It was something I felt like I lacked back home, though I probably had more than I realized and took them for granted.

“How much time do we have before we need to be on the train?” I asked with a smile, realizing in a different way how grateful I was to have Stalwart around.

“Not very much time at all.” He smirked, “Come on you two, let’s get moving. We’re going to be late at this rate!”

I smirked and followed him along at a brisk trot as we made our way toward the train station, pleased that he seemed to so readily excuse the slipup earlier.

‘And to think, if I hadn’t told him I wasn’t from Equestria I would have been stared at and ostracized by everyone too…’ I thought, rather pleased with myself.

‘Gee, is that supposed to make me feel better?’ Starlight mumbled quietly in my ear.

‘Sorry… At least Stalwart understands, even likes having you around it seems like.’

‘We’ll see.’ He said, going silent as we continued our trot to the outskirts of town.


We arrived rather quickly at the train station, watching the prior ponies just leaving the train as the cleaning crew entered the cabins and started their work. We stood around, allowing me to take a second to catch my breath.

‘Note to self,’ I thought to Starlight, ‘asthma still sucks.’

‘At least you’re only somewhat out of breath. Back home you would have been breathing hard after about twenty paces.’ He teased in response as the cleaning ponies left the cabins, nodding to us with a smile on their faces.

Stalwart handed our tickets in to the conductor and we boarded the train soon after, heading to one of the private cabins. I closed the door behind us, and Starlight faded into view, walking up onto the booth seat to lay across the cushion.

I climbed up onto the opposite seat, where Stalwart had already laid down, and settled myself at his side, not bothering to take off the saddlebags. They didn’t really hurt my back at all to keep on, and they were being supported by the seat-cushions anyway.

“So Dawn, I’m curious, and you’ve never given me a clear answer,” Stalwart started, causing my body to tense. If I hadn’t given an answer, it was probably related to my past. “I have to ask, just where were you on that night of the midsummer’s festival? It was only a few years ago, and I know there was an eclipse the whole day, do you remember that?”

I bit my lip, trying to think of what I could say. I could tell the truth, but I have no idea how well it’d be received. I could lie, but he’d catch it eventually I was certain. Perhaps just enough truth would be enough to satisfy him like it had before…

“Well…” I thought hard, now trying to remember where I was in the summer a few years ago. I was homeless, and if it was daytime, it would have been at a local café for internet access, probably playing games where I should have been applying for jobs. I spent far too much time trying to relieve stress, though there were only so many applications one could do.

“Yes?” He asked, appearing to still be waiting on me.

“I’m sorry…” I apologized, giving up on that train of thought as I looked down at the floor. “I don’t know if I can tell you.”

“What do you mean?” He asked quietly.

“We made a promise to Princess Celestia on something related that subject,” Starlight cut in, taking away the spotlight. “It’s not that she doesn’t want to tell, it’s that we’re not allowed to at the moment.”

“I see.” Stalwart nodded, appearing to consider what he was told further.

“I’m sorry.” I repeated quietly to him as guilt clenched at my heart, laying down as the train whistle blew and the wheels grinded against the tracks until we began to move.

“I understand.” He replied in kind, shifting in his seat next to me, his shoulder bumping against mine.

I blushed a little while the train continued moving onward, feeling comforted that his opinion of me had not altered so much that he didn’t trust me. I only realized it after I finally calmed but I realized just how much I was terrified of his rejection if I didn’t meet his expectations.


“You said your family lives in Vancouver, right Stalwart?” I asked after the sun set, watching Luna raise the moon to its spot in the sky.

“It’s Van Hoover Dawn.” He chuckled.

“Oh, right.” I forgot he told me earlier, but it’s so similar to the other city name I couldn’t help myself. So many similarities, and yet so many differences littered this world. The map in Lemon Bloom’s class wasn’t terribly descriptive, but other city names like Manehattan crossed my mind and made me chuckle on the inside.

“Is there a city similar to Peoria perhaps?” I asked, trying to make it sound like idle conversation.

“You mean Peonia? Yeah, we’ll be passing through there in about half an hour. Why?”

“Interesting…” I thought, wondering if it’s at all similar to the hometown I grew up in.

“Why do you ask?” Stalwart asked, letting out a yawn and yet somehow looking interested in the process.

“I may have been to a place like it on a few occasions.” I worded cautiously, so I could still be truthful. I kept a smile on my face though, so he would think I was still being playful as always.

“Oh? I thought you had never been to Equestria before. You haven’t snuck out of the castle without me noticing have you?” He teased before adding, “Maybe you can show me around then?”

“S-sure?” I nodded, trying not to let my heartrate skyrocket as I realized it was entirely possible that nothing about the town would be the same. On top of that he reminded me that I said I had never been to Equestria before. Worry started to cross my mind as the illusion of my being a slightly eccentric citizen of this world was so close to unravelling.

“I look forward to it.” He said quietly, yawning a second time before laying his head down while still appearing to have a satisfied smile on his face.

I nodded, feeling much too awake for sleep just yet, but nothing was really viewable outside, and the lights inside were dimmed down so I couldn’t read. With nothing better to do than worry, I laid down to sleep beside him.


Sooner than I expected, it was morning, scenery still passing by outside the window. Stalwart already had woken up and as I awoke, I realized my head was nestled on the base of his neck by his shoulders. Surprised, I pulled my head back and started rubbing my wrists against my eyes to help myself wake.

“Well, somepony certainly slept in! I hope my back was comfortable.” He chuckled, rumbling my side with his deep tones. “Waking up just before sunrise was also a nice way to start this vacation too I suppose.”

“Y-yeah.” I mumbled, still slightly embarrassed at how I had used him as a pillow during my sleep.

Starlight’s chuckle rang from the other side of the cabin, his form curled up but his head still alert. It looked like he slept in as much as I had. I was about to ask him what he did in his spare time when a loud yet muted whistle blew around the train.

I looked out the window, and watched as a mountain pass coming up ahead, with various other mountains surrounding us, many of which still have snow on them despite the time of the year.

“That’s the one hour left whistle I think, either that or they wanted to warn whatever was up ahead to get off the tracks.” He sighed before adding, “It’s been a while since I’ve gotten to see my family. We only get a vacation about once or twice a year, and usually around Hearth’s Warming Eve and Nightmare Night, and even then, some guards don’t get to have Nightmare Night off, needing to be on patrol and everything.”

“That’s no fun… so do you just miss out on celebrating it?”

“Of course not.” He smirked, “While it’s not quite the same, we have a basement room or three in the palace set up by some of the townsponies and get our turn to be scared by some of their tricks.”

“Well, it’s good that you get a chance to celebrate it.” I replied, still waking up.

“What, you don’t like being scared?” Stalwart asked.

“No, very much no.” I said, shaking my head for emphasis. “I don’t mind the idea of the costumes or even the games I’ve heard of, but getting scared? I try to avoid that. The less heart attacks I get the longer I’ll live.”

“Oh really?” He smirked, wheels in his head obviously turning as I looked on with uncertainty, “I’ll have to test that someday.”

The train whistle blew again, right as we entered the dark tunnel to cross the mountain pass. My mind flashed to the map of home compared to this world and chuckled, thinking we probably would have passed Spokane a while ago then, or something similar, maybe Boise.

Starlight vanished almost instantly when we heard hoofsteps walk along the hall of our cabin. His fear of being caught and being asked for a ticket flooded to my mind while my heart started to race alongside Starlight’s. The conductor walked along the hall, waved to us as if nothing was amiss and went on his way.

“Yeah, might be a good idea to stay out of sight there Starlight.” I said out loud.

“Agreed.” His voice rang out from my horn, “I just couldn’t help it. Think I could be out while with your family Stalwart?”

“Probably a bad idea.” Stalwart shook his head, “You know it’s okay around me, but I know you’re a part of Dawn. I’m not so sure my father would be so pleased to see you, and I didn’t tell them about you much at all either.”

“Okay, I see how it is.” Starlight teased, adding in, “That was sarcasm by the way.”

“I know. You and Dawn aren’t that different.” He smirked.

“Heyyy! I resemble that remark!” Starlight protested, eliciting a laugh from all of us.

I got off the seat to stretch, my back starting to ache as I remembered I hadn’t take off my saddlebag at all. The weight was still supported by the seat I was on, but it was probably not a good idea to have slept with it on.



It seemed like only minutes later we were standing at the doors to walk out on the platform. My heart raced as I stood as close to Stalwart as possible without touching him. He knew the people and the area, so I shouldn’t get lost easily if I stuck by his side.

We stepped off the train as soon as it allowed, several other ponies starting to get in with machines on their backs, presumably to clean the train before it was boarded again. No sooner than we had walked ten steps Stalwart slowed, and when I looked at his face, he had a broad smile.

“Welcome home son!” a lady’s voice sounded from in front of us and before I knew it, an off-white pony was hugging Stalwart.

“Thanks Mom.” He said quietly, though clearly very happy about seeing her, “It’s been too long.”

“It has, it has.” She nodded, turning to face me, “So you must be Miss Meadow Dawn.”

“Yes ma’am.” I said, bowing to greet her.

“Oh please, you’re going to make me feel like an old mare. Just call me Trickshot.”

“It’s nice to meet you.” I replied, bobbing my head politely.

“Come, we’ll get you home in time for some tea, and then you can settle in, and we’ll have a wonderful dinner together.”

“Mom, you really don’t have to-” Stalwart interjected, only to be interrupted.

“Ah ah ah, you know how it is when guests arrive, your father expects nothing less.” She said, cutting him off and walking away from the platform.

“Good ol’ Mom.” He chuckled, a smile broad on his face, “Come on Dawn, let’s go.”

I nodded, following them across busy streets and ignoring the loud bustling of those around us. I lost track of how we were getting anywhere quickly, and kept my focus on Stalwart and his mother. Eventually, things quieted and there were foals playing in schoolyard as we approached the residences.



When we finally arrived, I stood in front of a brick built two story home, with a well-kept lawn and a flower garden in front of the windows, a couple evergreen bushes dotted symmetrically and well maintained.

“Welcome to our home Meadow, I know it’s not much, but we do what we can.” Stalwart’s mother said happily.

“Please, it looks lovely.” I said, recognizing she could be looking for the praise, but wanting to play it safe and validate her effort.

“Thank you dear. Still, we couldn’t get anything exotic this year.” She turned to face stalwart with a smirk, “Your father is still trying to get me to plant some crimson lilies in the back yard!” She laughed heartily at the idea.

Stalwart smirked as he walked toward the building after his mother, who was still chuckling but standing at the now open door.

I followed him inside, mindful to wipe my hooves on the welcome mat. The bristles tickled, and looking around, it seemed like a very nice upper middle class home. To the left was a wide area that looked like a small library with wide windows to let a lot of light into the room, several comfortable wide chairs in an almost circle between the shelves. To the right was a dining room and just beyond was a sparkling kitchen. It seemed like they were either very serious about cleanliness, or had gotten wind of our arrival.

“Stalwart Shield, report!” a sharp deep voice called out from the top of some stairs that sounded like they were behind the reading-living room.

Starlight walked to the living room and stood to attention rigidly as a white stallion came into view, his hoofsteps silent on the thick light brown carpeting.

“Nothing to report at this time sir.” He said calmly, appearing to wait for something.

“Nothing to report eh? Not going to introduce me to your guest in my home?” the stallion smirked.

“Sir, this is Meadow Dawn, a mare of Canterlot castle, guest to Princess Celestia. Permission to introduce?”

“At ease son… Welcome home.” He said, getting much less gruff and giving him a hug, their limbs wrapping each other’s necks before starting to get into an impromptu wrestling match.

I stood there, chuckling quietly at the scene. I suspected it was all a show or some kind of ritual as it ended pretty quickly, the father being the victor.

“What do you even call that?” He said gruffly, “You getting soft up at that castle boy?”

“No sir,” Stalwart groaned, “Still sore from the demonstration, Bruises haven’t healed either.”

“Don’t tell me you lost the match,” He sighed, before adding “We’ll talk about it later.” He turned and started to stride toward me, “You must be this Dawn my son keeps talking about eh?”

“Yes sir.” I said crisply, starting to stand more at attention myself.

“I’m Stone Wall, retired captain of the royal guard.” He said, introducing himself as he added, “You’re not in the guard like my boy, right?”

“No sir.”

“So what do you do for your living then?” he asked, walking toward the living room.

“I’m studying magic so I can fix an old magical relic for a friend.” I said, walking at his pace toward the living room before coming to a stop at attention by Stalwart’s side.

“Oh? Dangerous business I hear.” Stone Wall commented quietly.

“Yes sir.” I replied, figuring I’d keep it simple. He seemed to be the type of military that was more formal and to the point. I worked with plenty of those before, but I couldn’t help but think back to my old job at the same time.

“And you’re still going to try?”

“Yes sir.” I said quietly, in the most determined voice I could muster.

There was a small moment of silence before he smirked quietly, “Meadow, if you stand much more at attention you’re going to put my son to shame. Are you wanting to wrestle too?”

“No sir.” I said, trying to will my body into relaxing, yet not feeling it budge an inch.

“You sure you’re not a guardspony?” Stone Wall asked, eyeing me over again as Stalwart stood nearby.

“No sir, I’ve just worked with the military in the past.”

“Oh, so you’re like Trish then!” He exclaimed, “Medical field pony like her then?”

“No sir. Insurance.”

“Ah.” He said, his apparent interest waning almost immediately, “Well, it’s good to meet you Meadow, welcome to our home.”

“Thank you sir.” I said. Thinking to the interaction Stalwart had just a minute ago with a slight smile, I added, “Permission to relax sir?”

“Permission granted.” Stone Wall laughed, heading toward the dining room, leaving Stalwart and myself alone as Trickshot prepared the tea.

“Well, color me impressed. He really likes you,” Stalwart said, turning around to head toward the dining room, “You never told me about any of that before though.”

“I… probably shouldn’t have in hindsight,” I admitted, realizing just how much more I slipped up due to my old world’s training. “Still, now you know?”

“Yes,” He chuckled, “but not everything. Maybe you’ll tell me one of these days?”

“I hope I can.” I said quietly, slipping off the saddlebag and tucking it alongside a chair on my way out to the dining room.

“So Stalwart, how did the tournament go?” Trickshot asked as she used her mouth to hold a teapot by the handle and poured cups for everyone. Once she finished serving tea, she offered cookies from a small platter, which we moved onto plates with our hooves.

“It went pretty well. My bruises are starting to heal, but it was rough. Silver Wing’s fighting style is just so strange. He stands on his hind legs and uses his hooves to move attacks around him, and gives some pretty powerful hits if you’re left open.”

“Wait, is this the same Silver that Breezy’s training to fly??” Stone Wall asked. “The one who knocked Black Mane out on his first day?”

“Yes sir.” Stalwart nodded, though with a confused look on his face.

"Huh," He said looking more thoughtfully, "Breezy's been telling me about his progress, and how he's even managed to make friends with his daughter. He's got some talent." He cleared his throat and looked at Stalwart more seriously. "Still, you're a trained guard stationed within the heart of the royal palace. You could be a throne room personal guard if you wanted to be. The fact that you lost to an untrained Pegasus that only just learned how to fly, means only one thing. You were sloppy."

“No sir, you taught me better than that.” Stalwart protested, “His karate isn’t like anything I’ve seen.”

“That’s because it isn’t karate.” I added, intending to clarify

“Then what is it?” his father asked, taking a drink from the tea, adding quietly as he looked at his wife, “Wonderful as always Trish.”

“I don’t know what it’s called, but Silver and I know of a lot of varieties of hand to hand combat exist where we’re from. It could be any one of those martial arts.”

“Nonsense, there isn’t any other kind of fighting without weapons.” Stone wall protested

“With all due respect sir,” I stated abruptly, not wanting that misconception to continue, “that was the only reason Stalwart lost. Even then, he was always the last one standing, and did a remarkable job from what everyone has said. He even got Luna standing up and excited from what I’ve heard from his friends.”

“Is that true son?”

“I have no idea, but that’s what they tell me.”

“So, how did it go then?”

I listened as Stalwart recounted the matches as best as he was able. I took the chance to glance around the room and watch his parents interact. They seemed quite pleasant. The dad was clearly pleased to have their son home, and while at first the mother was serving everyone, she was sitting down next to her husband and leaning in to the conversation or on him throughout the talks.

Stalwart continued to tell them about various things, his duties, the play, even the cuteseanera, before they excused themselves to the living room. I stayed behind, noticing Trickshot was cleaning up after everyone.

“Would you like any help ma’am?” I offered.

“Oh no, thank you darling but I’ve got it. Go visit with Stalwart if you want.”

I smiled appreciatively, bowing my head in thanks before walking into the living room. Stalwart was sitting on one of the wide chairs, taking up a little less than half of it, sitting upright and talking with his father about various barracks gossip that we had already talked about before and I generally didn’t care for a great deal. Seeing there was enough room, I climbed up onto his chair and laid down on it beside him, tucking my legs under me, though my hooves leaned out in front of the seat. It was almost a strange feeling as I instinctually wanted to grab the fabric, yet had no fingers to.

“So, how was it you met my son, Miss Dawn?” He asked as he reclined into his chair comfortably, his legs under his frame much like I was seated.

“Well, I arrived at Canterlot late at night, was wandering around a bit lost, and he was one of the first guards I saw there I think. I do know that when I woke, he was the one who came to my room to get me up that morning for breakfast with Princess Celestia, only to get told off for taking the initiative.” I said, smirking in his direction. “Still, he went above and beyond to make me feel comfortable in Equestria, and I’m quite pleased at where it’s gone so far.”

“And what brought you to Canterlot?”

“Well,” I hesitated, looking briefly at Stalwart, wondering what I could say. “it wasn’t intentional at first, but I was there to study magic and learn what I could.”

“Is that why you’ve been getting your magic lessons from Lemon Bloom?”

“You know her?” I gasped in surprise.

“Of course! She and her husband Breezy are old friends of mine!” He chuckled, “So how is it that a unicorn your age hasn’t earned her horn yet, hm?”

“I… don’t follow.” I said hesitantly. I had never heard anyone refer to a phrase like ‘earned her horn’ to date, and while I could try to infer what that meant, I didn’t think I had a good enough context to guess.

“Oh hush you old fool,” Trickshot chuckled, “Leave the girl be, she had a long trip here after all.”

“No really, it’s ok, I don’t mind.” I shook my head, feeling Stalwart’s fur brush against my own and trying not to blush, “I’m just a bit nervous is all.”

“No reason for that, just striking up conversation.” Stone Wall said dismissively. “You said at one point you hope to fix magical things?”

“Yes sir.” I nodded.

“No need to ‘sir’ me lass. Just call me Stone Wall, or maybe Wally… nah, still doesn’t feel right after all these years.”

“Yes sir- Stone.” I hesitated, “I’ve already fixed one, a telekinesis bracelet.”

“Oh really?” he asked.

“It’s the one I’m wearing. I hardly ever take it off anymore, though I really like having it up high than dangling down low.” I said, motioning to my forelimb, where it stayed about a hoof-print down from my main body. “Would you like to see it?”

“No no, that’s fine. Never been one for magic. I’ll leave that to the unicorns and princesses.” Stone Wall firmly declined.

“Well then, Stalwart, would you like to give your father a demonstration?” I asked.

“Why not? It’ll show them how far you’ve come since you started learning magic a few moons ago.” Stalwart agreed, stepping down off the seat as I watched his mother slip quietly into the room and take the seat next to her husband.

I slipped off the bracelet from its position and smiled gently at watching those two together. Something just clicked as a very relaxing sight to spot his parents getting along so nicely and close together, though the way he gave her a kiss on the neck certainly didn’t hurt. I blinked a few times and turned my gaze more fully to the bracelet which I finally slid off my limb and handed to Stalwart, who slid it on.

“Ok pops, point out an object and I’ll grab it from where I’m standing.” He said before quietly mumbling in my direction, “I hope I still remember how to do this.”

“How about the newspaper in the bin?” Stone Wall grudgingly stated.

Stalwart looked in that direction, and with a look of pained concentration, started to lift the whole bin. He stopped, set the bin down and refined his focused lift to just the newspaper stored inside. Slowly, he started levitating it over to his father, who watched with a stoic face that made me think he was very impressed and just hiding it. He accepted the paper and looked over the title for a few seconds before nodding.

"That'll do son," he said, then looked back to me, "That's quite the trinket. Especially for a unicorn that only just learned to use her magic recently, according to Lemon Bloom anyway."

“Thank you, I’m quite happy with it.” I nodded toward him with an embarassed smile.

Stalwart nodded and took the bracelet off, handing it back to me. I placed it back at its usual place on my forelimb as I heard Stone Wall clear his throat.

“How come you didn’t use any of it growing up?" Stone Wall asked, "Seems to me you could have made a name for yourself if you had started earlier. Something happen?”

“You… could say that. Yes.” I admitted. I wanted to say more, that it was because it wasn’t an option, that it was taboo or evil, something. Despite my desire, I had to resist, because once I start explaining, it’s difficult to stop.

“Shame. What happened?” he asked, seeming genuinely interested, well, as interested as he could be with his arm around his wife.

“I…” I hesitated, not sure what to say. I don’t want to lie, not to Stalwart’s family for the same reason I don’t want to lie to him, but as I looked at his expectant face, I realized I once again would have to settle for partial truth. ‘So much for holding back.’ I thought to myself before speaking again. “I grew up being taught that magic, along with a lot of other normal things, was wrong. Combine this with my education never touching on magical studies and then some survival concerns, I wasn’t exactly in the best of positions to be learning about magic.”

“Hm. Things are better now though yes?” Stone Wall asked quietly

“Quite a bit better mostly. Though I still miss my family a bit, truth be told they likely won’t have realized I’m gone, though my old workplace has probably long since fired me for my disappearance.” I chuckled, “Still, less worry for my friends or family to have, eh?”

“What do you mean?” Trickshot asked quietly.

“Let me put it this way. Even when I was within reach of family, I only saw my brothers rarely. My dad passed away about seven years ago, and my mom,” I hesitated, wondering how to put it, thinking of all the time I spent homeless or went hungry, “she wasn’t ok with who and what I am.”

“I see. Stalwart suggested you’ve had it rough, but we didn’t think it would be quite like that.” She said kindly.

“It’s ok. I’ve learned to make the most of what I’ve been given, I’m even glad for some of my experience. I’ve learned that people aren’t nearly as bad as my parents or their beliefs suggested, and did a fair bit of travelling more than others my age. I think that’s the main reason I have my cutie mark, because despite any hardship, I mostly kept looking for the good side of things, or hoping for a better outcome in the end.”

“Yes, well,” Stone Wall started to speak, seeming to give some consideration, “shame about the family situation, I’d think any parent would be proud of you.”

“Thanks…” I said quietly, not sure how to take the compliment, thinking about my family back home.

“You really have done well Dawn.” Stalwarts voice stated next to me as he leaned against me with a hoof rubbing my back briefly

“Thanks Stalwart.” I blushed, realizing he was doing that in full view of his parents.

“You both must be tired from your travels. Stalwart, your room is ready. Dawn, the guest room is just across from his.” Trickshot smiled gently at us.

“Thanks Mom” Stalwart nodded with a smile before stepping down off the furniture before heading toward the stairs in the back.

“Thank you.” I echoed, following him up the stairs, our steps echoing against the wall.

Stalwart turned at the top of the stairs, following the hall back toward the front of the house and stopped just past a pair of doors.

“Here we are Dawn, this is your room here then.” He gestured to the room on the left.

“Trying to be a guard even at home eh?” I smirked, opening the door.

“Pops expects nothing less.” He chuckled.

The room was simple, with matching endtables and a reasonably sized bed, with a dresser and a mirror just above it at head height.

“Very quaint, I like it.” I smiled, wiggling my hooves at the carpet and enjoying the feeling. It was almost as satisfying as being barefoot. “I may just spend a little bit of time on my own here if that’s ok.”

“That should be fine. Lunch is in an hour though. I’ll be by to check on you then.” Stalwart said, closing the door behind him as he left.

I smiled and walked over to the bed, climbing up on the spring mattress and stretched.

‘Well, that felt like it took forever.’ I sighed out loud, smiling as if Starlight were laying on the bed in front of me.

‘In a way it did. Still, at least we have a room to call our own and escape when we need to.’ He replied wearily, though with some optimism at the end.

‘Aye, I’ve had more than enough talking for now though, let’s just enjoy the quiet while we can.’ I said, closing my eyes and letting my breathing slow. I already slept plenty, but taking a moment to rest after the tension of being in a new place and meeting new people was more than welcome.