• Published 8th Aug 2015
  • 920 Views, 24 Comments

Friendship's New Flight: Rough Skies - Masterob



Rumble finds himself in an uneasy alliance with Lightning Dust.

  • ...
6
 24
 920

Training and Bonding

The next day, Rainbow Dash gathered her competition friends and went to a park to practice their flying techniques.

"Ok team, get into position, Thunderlane come to my side, Flitter go to Cloudchaser, Rumble go to...hey where's Lightning Dust?" Rainbow asked.

"She should be here, she and Trixie camped here last night", Rumble said.

"Wait I see them, over there", Flitter pointed to the oncoming Lightning Dust & Trixie.

"We're coming!" Trixie said while rushing over with Lightning.

Both mares arrived to the training group.

"Good you made it, ok get with Rumble Lightning", Rainbow said.

"Yeah, yeah, for the record, I'm the lead pony in this duo" Lightning said.

"Drop the attitude or you'll be in a worse standing than wing pony", Rainbow warned.

Lightning huffed and rolled her eyes while Rainbow spoke.

"Now then, we have a little under a week to be ready so everyday as early as possible we need to meet here and start training, we train for hours at a time, we need to be ready and treat this as our last opportunity, cause it very well may be, so treat everyday like it's the last day of training and put all your effort into it!" Rainbow said.

The Pegusai sans Lightning saluted, "Ma'am, yes ma'am"

"But...while it's good to push yourself, don't over do it, don't strain your body too much and don't do anything to endanger yourself, your wing pony or any other ponies nearby", Rainbow eyed Lightning on that note, "Everypony get that?"

"Ma'am, Yes ma'am"

Lightning grumbled, Yeah whatever".

"Remember training is good but your health comes first", Rainbow said.

Lightning rolled her eyes again, "You've grown really soft Rainbow Dash".

"If by soft you mean I care about the well being of my friends then yes, I am soft, now deal with it", Rainbow said.

"Whatever Dash", Lightning said.

"Ok we'll all do whatever routine works for us alongside our partners, lets go Thunder", Rainbow said and hit the skies with Thunderlane.

"Come on Flitter", Cloudchaser said and went to the skies.

Lightning sighed, "Ok kid, you're good at following commands right?"

Rumble nodded, "I practice with Rainbow Dash a lot, as well as my brother, Flitter & Cloudchaser"

"Fine then, just follow me, I mainly wanna get a feel for how you fly", Lightning said.

Rumble nodded and went to the skies with Lighting.

Meanwhile Trixie is simply watching, then she is joined by Twilight Sparkle and Spike.

"Hello Trixie", Twilight said.

Trixie smiled wide, "It's great to see you Princess Twilight Sparkle".

"You can just call me Twilight Trixie, you don't need to be formal", Twilight said.

"Thank you Princ-er I mean Twilight".

"What about me?" Spike asked.

"Yes you too Dragon", Trixie said, not as interested.

"Dragon? I have a name you know", Spike said.

"Trixie never really remembered your name".

"It's Spike!"

"Oh right, Spike, nice to know", Trixie still didn't care.

Spike groaned, "Man how come everypony forgets about me? I saved a whole empire!"

Twilight rolled her eyes at Spike's behavior, then looked to the skies, "Looks like everypony is getting ready, so far Lightning Dust seems under control".

"Yeah, ponies think she's all tough and really mean, she's actually not so bad once you get to know her, maybe I am just a little biased since I know what she goes though, to have ponies hold a grudge against you for simple misunderstandings. I didn't expect an Ursa Major, or Minor as you said, to come to town yet most ponies blamed me, though I didn't really help with my attitude, Lightning Dust got blamed for certain things, I understand she almost got you and your friends killed".

"Yeah, she almost did", Twilight said.

"She understands it was bad, she just refuses to admit it was entirely her fault, she says you never should have been there, it was a restricted area, from what I understand your hyper pink friend was the reason you went there correct?" Trixie asked.

Twilight looked slightly annoyed, "Her name is Pinkie Pie and yes it was her idea, she really missed Rainbow and couldn't wait for the mail".

Trixie rubbed her temple, "This Pinkie Pie pony has some bad history when it comes to those associated with Rainbow Dash, a few days ago we encountered a griffon who said that she encountered your friend Pinkie when she was trying to speak with Rainbow Dash, Pinkie interrupted them constantly, not letting her catch up with a friend she hasn't seen in so long, then she was essentially run out of town".

"Right, I remember her, it was shortly before we met you, what had happened was she had a really bad attitude. Pinkie said she stole an apple, scared Applejack's grandmother and made Fluttershy cry, she seemed to blow her top at the party, but we didn't run her out of town, she left on her own accord", Twilight said.

"Sounds to me like she was frustrated cause Pinkie wouldn't just give them some time alone to catch up, suppose you wanted to see an old friend and no one gave you time to catch up", Trixie pointed out.

Twilight sighed a bit, "I wasn't really good with friends before I came to Ponyville, but I guess I would feel this was if I wanted to talk to my big brother and never got the chance".

"You have a brother?"

"Yeah, Prince Shining Armor"

"Oh right, I heard about the whole Canterlot Wedding and Crystal Empire thing, I forgot that he was your brother", Trixie said.

"Yeah, I think I can understand her frustrations. But I'm glad you and Lighting are such good friends, maybe that's what you both need, you seem to really care about her".

"Yeah, to a fault maybe, after all I did attack your friends in Manehatten, but that was mostly to protect Lighting Dust, I'm really sorry about that by the way, I don't really care for most of your friends, in fact you and Fluttershy are the only ones I don't hate, but maybe getting into a fight wasn't a good idea", Trixie admitted.

"Yeah we had some fight issues here too, Rumble himself got bullied and beat up at one point, I've been trying to put an end to that", Twilight said.

Trixie gasped. "Oh my, the poor thing, who did that?"

"You know those fillies that were with us at Manehatten? One was Rarity's sister, one was Applejack's sister, one was her cousin and one was Rainbow Dash's fan?"

"Yeah? Wait those little girls beat him up, well I'm not surprised about the one with the bow", Trixie said.

Twilight nodded, "Well Applejack's sister actually didn't, but yeah the others did, they all made up though, after Cloudchaser, the pony up there with the big mane, threatened to break one of their arms, and Rainbow threatened to punch another. I had a nice long chat with them about that though, they should not have stooped to their level, plus their young foals, I don't like any type of violence".

"Right, I'm sure you don't", Trixie said.

"But by the way, how come you hate my friends, you don't seem to hate me anymore even though you said I ruined your career", Twilight said.

"Well...I did realize you weren't so bad and I actually goaded you into doing the stuff you did, and looking back, you never meant harm, you were actually pretty nice to me, even if I didn't deserve it. Fluttershy I have no issues with because she never gave me a reason to hate her, she's such a sweetheart too, but Pinkie Pie talks too damn much and I hate her family's rock farm, have you ever met her sister?"

"You mean Maud? Yeah I have", Twilight said.

"She's so weird, all she talks about are rocks".

"She's not so bad, try getting to know her, I think you'll like her, she's a very caring sister"

"I guess so, I will give her this, she's very proud of what she does, but there's Applejack, she was one of the few that tried to make a fool of me, then Rarity being pompous, finally Rainbow who was the worse, she calls me boastful and says the same about Lightning Dust, then acts like if she were related to Princess Celestia herself with how high on a mountain she puts herself on".

"Well if you give them a second chance, I think you'll like them, I'd love to have you as a friend Trixie, and Lightning too", Twilight said.

"I hope so, I really want what's best for Lightning Dust, I care so much about her, I hope that little colt can help her"

Twilight nodded, "I'm sure he can, he really helped Applejack, and he made friends with the girls that hated him once, they even have a crush on him now".

"Wow, luckly colt, but yeah so far he's holding his own with Lightning Dust", Trixie said.

They looked up as Lighting did some crazy but safe enough tricks, Rumble was able to follow her movements, Lightning looking a bit impressed at Rumble's progress.

At that moment Derpy arrived with Dinky, "Hi Trixie, I sent that letter to your friends".

"They're not friends, they're business partners, and thank you Miss Hooves", Trixie said.

"You can call me Derpy".

"Uhhh, I'd rather not, it sounds...too...informal", Trixie said.

"It's fine, I know it's a weird name, but I don't care, though some ponies actually call me Muffins, since I love muffins", Derpy said.

"That sounds like a nicer name...so who's this little filly? Is she your daughter?" Trixie asked

"Who Dinky?" Derpy asked, turning to Dinky, "No I'm her foalsitter, but I love her so much I might as well be her mother, or at least her big sister".

Dinky nodded, "Derpy's the best foalsitter, I love her a lot"

Derpy hugged Dinky, "I love you too my little muffin".

"You two have the sweetest relationship, just like Apple Bloom and Applejack, or Rumble and his foalsitters", Twilight said.

Spike spoke up, "Speaking of which, here comes the gang".

At that moment, the Cutie Mark Crusaders arrived with Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Rarity & Fluttershy.

"Hey there Twilight...hello Trixie" Applejack had a clear dislike tone in her voice on the last part.

"Hi girls, I was just talking with Trixie, she's really nice once you get to know her", Twilight said.

"Is that a fact?" Applejack asked, glaring at Trixie a bit.

"Lets be nice, I know we all had our differences but lets put all that behind us, start fresh", Twilight said.

"I'd love to make friends with all of you", Trixie said.

Fluttershy stepped forward, "Well I for one wouldn't mind having Trixie as a friend".

Pinkie Pie stepped up, "Same here! Even if she did say not so nice things about my family's rock farm".

"Sorry about that, I was just frustrated working there", Trixie said.

"Don't worry, I get that, I wasn't happy there either for a long time, it's not for every pony", Pinkie said.

Applejack sighed, "Well after the whole Thunderlane thing, ah guess I probably should start giving ponies more chances, you do seem reasonable these days Trixie".

Rarity spoke, "Yes, you've come a long way darling".

Trixie beamed with joy, "Trixie is so happy to hear that!"

"And it's back to the 3rd person", Spike muttered.

Apple Bloom looked up, "Wow, Rumble's doing well up there"

"Yeah, he seems to be working with Lighting Dust pretty well", Sweetie Belle said.

Scootaloo pouted a bit, "How come I can't fly like that?"

Babs smiled as she watched Rumble, "He's really somethin'"

Lighting and Rumble continued flying, he managed to follow her formations to a tee, "Wow kid, you're better than I thought".

Rumble smiled, "Thanks Lightning Dust".

"Lets kick it up a notch!" Lightning then picked up speed.

"Oh no, this won't end well", Rumble said to himself.

Lightning started moving and doing her formations faster, Rumble kicked it up to match her but he had a hard time keeping up with her, it's not so much her speed, it's her crazy turns and her spins, it was an uncontrolled frenzy and Rumble was starting to tire from it.

Applejack looked suspiciously at Lightning, "What's she doing? She's being awful reckless"

"Oh no, I hope she's not getting one of her major adrenaline rushes", Trixie said.

Lightning then dive bombed and moved like she was gonna hit the ground, she was getting dangerously close.

"Lightning, this is dangerous, pull up, you're gonna hurt yourself!" Rumble said.

"No way, this is awesome, this is freaken exciting!" Lightning shouted.

As she got close to the ground she moved 90 degrees at the last minute and went horizontal over the ground, Rumble had actually stopped well before, he wasn't gonna risk hurting himself, but he knows if he does that at the try outs it could result in disqualification, he can only hope Lighting doesn't try this stunt then.

Rainbow Dash noticed the reckless flying, "Aw dammit Lightning, you're gonna hurt Rumble and I'm gonna be totally pissed, and I know I won't be alone!"

Cloudchaser also noticed, "I swear if she does something stupid that gets Rumble hurt, I will snap her wings off!"

Lightning continued her flight and flew above a pond, causing a small wave as she flew, with Rumble behind her.

"Lightning Dust, slow down, you're getting carried away!" Rumble said.

"Don't be a wuss kid", Lightning said.

Lighting continued flying recklessly, making Rumble very nervous.

"Lightning, remember what Rainbow Dash said", Rumble said.

"Rainbow Dash is just a big wuss, do you wanna be a big wuss? Or do you wanna be cool like me?"

"I don't really know", Rumble admitted.

"Hey this is your only shot in The Wonderbolts, when your in The Wonderbolts, you gotta out on a show" she started zig zagging through the sky, with Rumble desperately following.

Thunderlane started getting nervous, "Rainbow she's gonna get my brother hurt, we gotta stop her!"

"You're right", Rainbow called out, "Yo Lightning! Simmer down!"

This fell on deaf ears, Lightning continued on.

"Damn she can't hear me, Yo Lightning! Cool it!" Rainbow shouted louder.

Lightning started flying through some trees, Rumble following but careful not to hit any trees.

Rainbow got annoyed and started following them.

As Lightning flew her adrenaline rush started to spike high, she started flying through clouds, causing lighting to shoot out each time.

"Wow, she really lives up the Lightning part of her name, unfortunately I'm in the Dust part", Rumble said.

While going though the clouds, one piece of lightning actually hit Rumble in the face and caused him to fall back.

"Ah! Mayday! Mayday! I'm falling!"

Luckily for Rumble, Rainbow caught up enough to catch him.

"Rumble! Oh no, say something!" Rainbow said.

Rumble rubbed his head, "Don't worry, I'm fine, but my head burns".

Rainbow hugged Rumble tightly, "Oh thank goodness, if something bad happened to you I would lose it!"

"Rainbow I'm fine, but your crushing me", Rumble said.

Rainbow loosened up, "Sorry, you know I love you kid, you mean so much to me, I never want anything bad to happen to you", she kissed his forehead, "By the way, don't tell anyone I'm acting like this", Rainbow said, last part with a serious face.

"I know how much you value your tough girl rep, I won't say anything", Rumble said.

"That's my little buddy", Rumble said and hugged him again.

Lightning went back to them, "Hey kid, what gives, if this happened at the try-outs you would get us disqualified!"

Rainbow got in Lighting's face, "We warned you not to hurt Rumble! You hit him in the face with a lightning bolt!"

"He's fine though", Lightning said.

"That's it! On the ground, now!" Rainbow shouted.

The pegusai went to the ground and gathered around the gang, Thunderlane and the mares noticed the burn on Rumble's forehead.

"Rumble!" Applejack pulled him into a hug, "My poor little Rumble, does it hurt a lot?"

Rumble returned the hug, "No, but I appreciate the hug...though please loosen your grip a bit, you're hurting me".

Applejack nodded, "Sorry, don't know mah own strength sometimes".

The other mares went to him, "Don't worry, I can fix that wound", Fluttershy said.

"You're a tough little guy Rumble", Cloudchaser said.

"Better treat that fast, those burns can hurt a lot and leave a bad scar", Twilight said.

"I wanna kiss it", Sweetie Belle said.

"Move over ah wanna kiss it", Apple Bloom said.

"Sorry girls, I get first dibs", Flitter said and kissed Rumble's head.

Lightning couldn't believe this, "Geez you're all a bunch of softies".

Thunderlane got in Lightning's face, "You could have really hurt my brother, what do you have to say for yourself!?"

"...He's fine?"

Flitter got angry, "That's it, plan B, Fluttershy, will you take Rumble as your partner now?"

"Wait what? what's going on?" Lightning asked.

"I asked Fluttershy if she could be Rumble's partner if you screwed up, looks like you got that out the way", Flitter said.

"Wait, you can't just replace me! That one can barely fly!" Lightning shouted.

Trixie looked concerned, she didn't wanna see Lightning Dust's chances go up in flames again.

"Fluttershy isn't much of a flyer, but I do like Flitter's idea, Fluttershy would actually take good care of Rumble", Rainbow said.

"I second that", Babs said.

"Aw thanks Babs", Fluttershy said.

Lightning went to Rumble, "Hey kid, surely you're not gonna let a little incident separate this team?"

"Lighting, I'm sorry but you're too reckless and dangerous, I don't wanna get hurt, and I don't wanna see you get hurt", Rumble said.

Trixie panicked, she really wanted this for Lightning, she didn't wanna see her heart-broken, then she got an idea. She primed her horn for a spell and aimed at Rumble & Lightning Dust.

"Come on kid, I'll...get you an ice cream", Lightning offered.

"No thanks, Pinkie gets me ice creams", Rumble said.

"I'll...buy you some comics".

"I have Cloudchaser for that".

"I'll...take you to the movies".

"There's nothing out I wanna see".

Lightning got desperate, "I'll date you".

"Excuse me!?" Rumble shouted.

"Hey back off, I'm dating him!" Babs said.

"Excuse me!? Since when?" Apple Bloom asked.

"I asked him", Babs answered.

Apple Bloom glared, "Babs you know ah like Rumble!"

"Well I like him too, besides he's not my boyfriend, you wanna date him go ahead, but I got first dibs, and chances are you probably won't even get a chance after I'm done with him tonight", Babs said.

"We'll see about that", Apple Bloom stated sternly.

"I want to date him too!" Sweetie said.

Rainbow looked confused, "How did we go from the issue with Lightning to this?" Rainbow asked.

"There's nothing more to discuss, Lighting you're history", Flitter said.

At that moment Trixie shot a spell at Rumble and Lightning Dust, though neither noticed. Twilight however sensed some magic and seemed curious.

"Come on Rumble lets go", Rainbow said and gestured Rumble away.

"Fine, who need's you! I'll find another partner then!" Lightning said and tried to leave, but both Rumble and Lightning suddenly stopped.

"Huh?" Lightning walked forward and Rumble went back.

"Hey!" Rumble went forwards while Lightning felt a tug.

Both then attempted to fly away from each other but couldn't move away from each other.

"What's going on!?" Lightning asked.

"I...I sensed some magic", Twilight said and turned to Trixie, "Trixie did you cast a spell?"

Trixie nodded, "Yes I did"

Twlight looked deadpanned, "...Trixie"

"Yes Twilight Sparkle?"

"WHY!?"

Trixie was taken back by the outburst.

"Well I had to do something, I didn't want Lightning to lose her chance at this", Trixie said.

"So you bonded them together!? Are you insane Trixie!?" Twilight asked.

"She's always been insane Twilight, but this time she's gone to far!" Rainbow shouted.

"Yeah you can't bind my brother to this psychopath!" Thunderlane shouted.

"Fix this Trixie...now!" Twilight said.

"Sorry, no can do", Trixie said.

Twilight glared, "And why not Trixie?"

"Because...I don't remember the counter spell", Trixie said, then did a nervous smile.

"...So you learned a spell, yet didn't learn the counter?" Twilight asked.

"Hey in all fairness this was originally to sabotage Rainbow Dash-"

"Trixie!" Lightning shouted, then Trixie realized her tongue slip.

Rainbow looked like she was gonna lose it, "You were gonna do WHAT!?"

"Hey I don't like you remember!? And I want Lightning Dust to succeed!"

"Why you!" Rainbow was gonna attack Trixie but Lightning Dust stood in front of her, "Don't you DARE hurt Trixie!"

Rainbow growled, "First you hurt Rumble, then you have the nerve to tell me not to hurt Trixie!"

"Trixie means the world to me, I won't allow you to hurt her", Lightning said.

Trixie blushed, "You're the sweetest Lightning Dust"

Twilight stepped forward, "Rainbow, remember what I told you and Cloudchaser, no more fighting"

Rainbow growled, "OK Twilight, what do you suppose we do then?"

"I'll figure this out with Trixie, for now it seems like Rumble and Lightning Dust will have to endure each other's company", Twilight said.

Rumble and Lightning stared at each other.

"This is gonna be a pain", Lightning said.

"Tell me about it", Rumble said.

Author's Note:

This will be a pain, Rumble & Trixie will be even more acquainted.