• Published 8th Aug 2015
  • 920 Views, 24 Comments

Friendship's New Flight: Rough Skies - Masterob



Rumble finds himself in an uneasy alliance with Lightning Dust.

  • ...
6
 24
 920

Different Rivalries

The Pegusai flew back to Ponyville, Trixie riding on Lightning Dust's back, much to the amusement of the others.

"Why is Trixie riding on you?" Rainbow asked.

"She can't fly, she's not a Pegasus", Lightning plainly stated.

"Still, isn't it weird?" Rainbow asked.

"Not like she's heavy", Lightning said.

"Didn't ask if she was, I asked if you feel-"

"Just...! Drop it, ok? If your farmer friend, pink lunatic or that drama queen needed to be flown somewhere I'm sure you would do it, so quit making a big deal out of this!" Lightning shouted.

"I personally still think it's weird", Cloudchaser stated.

Lightning Dust growled, "You know what!?"

"Lightning, forget about it, don't give in to their ridicule, you're better than that", Trixie said.

Lightning huffed and kept flying, "So we going back to one of your houses?"

"No, first we're going to Sweet Apple Acres to talk with Applejack, after that we can talk training", Rainbow said.

"Is there like a motel or something I can stay at?" Lightning asked.

"We'll figure out your living arrangements for you and Trixie", Rainbow said.

"Lightning when we settle, we need to send a letter to Suri to let her know you're in this competition, and that you'll be in Ponyville", Trixie said.

"Noted", Lightning said.

They all arrived at Sweet Apple Acres and Rainbow Dash knocked on the door. Applejack had answered.

"Howdy Rainbow Dash, welcome back, did ya sign up? Did ya get to meet Spitfire?" Applejack asked.

"Yeah we're signed up, it's basically teams of two, I'm flying with Thunderlane, Flitter and Cloudchaser will make a second team".

"That's great, what about Rumble? He had no partner, then again he's pretty young, probably won't let him fly".

Rainbow shook her head, "No, Spitfire let him"

"Really? Who's his partner? Did Fluttershy offer?" Applejack asked.

"No, he got another partner", Rainbow said, showing a little uncertainty in her voice.

"That's nice, somepony we know?"

"That's an understatement" Rainbow pointed to Lightning Dust.

"Sup", she said plainly.

Applejack looked shocked and surprised, "Lightning Dust? As in 'The Tornado Queen' herself?"

"Like I'm gonna be judged by a mare that threatens small colts", Lightning pointed out.

Applejack glared, "Say that again...Ah dare yah!"

Fluttershy stepped in, "Come on everypony, lets not start picking fights"

"Rainbow Dash this is crazy! Lightning Dust is a very reckless pony! You said so yourself she does crazy things and we've seen it first hand lately, she's a maniac in the sky!" Applejack shouted.

"I know, but it was her or no one for Rumble", Rainbow said.

"Why Rumble though? Couldn't she team with one of you and Rumble can team with another?" Applejack pointed out.

"Truth be told, Rumble's probably the only one that can probably stand her company, but if she proves too much she's history, I already had a small chat with Spitfire about this before we left", Rainbow said.

"Good, don't want her endangering Rumble", Applejack said, still not quite convinced though.

"Like you did at Canterlot?" Lighting once again provoked.

"Listen you little-!" Cloudchaser had kept Applejack back, "Don't let her get to you! Be better than that!"

Applejack huffed while glaring at Lightning, but she managed to calm herself down.

Rumble looked a bit nervous, "Maybe you all need a little time to chat, I'm gonna go find the Crusaders", Rumble then left hastily.

"Great, you both scared him off", Rainbow said.

"Who's side are you on?" Applejack asked.

"Not the point, listen I'll keep an eye on Lightning Dust, she's gonna be training with me and the others, if she tries anything, I'll handle her", Rainbow said.

Lightning rolled her eyes, "Great, just what I need, a foalsitter"

Rainbow got annoyed herself, Trixie decided to step in, "Lightning, please calm your temper, this is a big moment for you and I won't let you blow it"

Lighting grumbled a bit while Trixie spoke to the others, "Rest assure that The Great and Powerful Trixie has her good friend The Fast and Furious Lighting Dust under control".

"Fast and Furious? Sersiously?" Cloudchaser said with a slight snicker.

"Yes seriously", Trixie said, "She deserves a cool nickname".

"She better have things under control, I don't want my brother getting hurt from Lightning's stupid stunts", Thunderlane warned.

"My stunts aren't stupid! They're radical", Lightning argued.

Applejack stepped up to her, "Regardless, I'm just gonna let you know right now, if you do anything, anything at all to hurt Rumble, and you're never gonna fly again, cause ah will personally rip your wings off your back, ah will smash your face in, ah will break every miserable bone in your body! You hear me missy?"

All the ponies stood back in shock, they knew that Applejack wasn't a pony they wanted to make angry, even Lighting Dust was taken back a bit but that son was replaced with rage.

"Who in the hell are you to say that to me!?"

Applejack then grabbed Lighting with the intent of hitting her but Trixie grabbed her with her magic and levitated Applejack away.

"Trixie won't let you hurt Lightning Dust!", Trixie turned to Lightning Dust, "Come on Lighting, it's not safe around here right now"

Both ponies left but not before Lighting shot a 'revenge' glare at Applejack.

Applejack was released from the magic and creaked her neck a bit, "Damn Trixie, Rainbow please assure me you know what yer doing with them nuts".

"Maybe we shouldn't do this, I don't want my brother in danger", Thunderlane said.

"We give her one day, like I said, if she screws up at all, she's history", Rainbow said.

"But-" Rainbow hushed Thunderlane, "Look this is pretty important to Rumble, maybe Lighting will lighten up hopefully, but he at least deserves a chance, though with any luck, Spitfire will let us know if there's another Pegasus willing".

Thunderlane nodded, "I can trust you, you haven't let me down before, I know how much you love my brother so I know you would never put him in danger".

Rainbow nodded, "Damn straight, you're my favorite stallion, but he's my favorite colt, and I love the both of you".

Thunderlane blushed a bit and kissed Rainbow, "You're my favorite mare, I love you too".

This got some 'Aws' from the others, though Rainboiw's glare shut them up.

"Well I need to head home, Applejack, is Babs doing ok so far? Will she be able to stay?" Fluttershy asked.

"She's fine, though maybe later ah can send her back to yah, do this little by little", Applejack said.

"Fine with me, I do love having her around, so it's no trouble", Fluttershy started making her way home but Flitter caught up to her for a moment.

"Listen, I have a huge favor to ask from you".

"Sure Flitter, what is it?"

"If things go bad with Lighting Dust and Rainbow or Thunder boot her, any chance you can fill in for her as Rumble's partner?" Flitter asked.

Fluttershy's eyes grew a bit then looked to the side, "Flitter I'm not a good flyer, you know that".

"I know but this is really important to all of us, including Rumble, and I'm really worried about Lighting Dust possibly hurting him. But our dream would be to get into The Wonderbolts together, it would mean a lot if Rumble was able to do this, and after the whole Tornado Day thing, I'm sure you can hold your own in a team with Rumble, and I trust you to take care of him. He likes you just as much as he likes all your friends, in fact he would love to get to know you a lot better, so it won't be any trouble".

Fluttershy thought a bit, still a bit unsure.

"Please at least consider it Fluttershy, I love Rumble, and if there's a chance we can avoid any mess I'll be able to rest easier at night", Flitter pleaded.

Fluttershy nodded, "Ok, I'll be his partner...only if you really need me".

Flitter smiled largely in excitement and hugged Fluttershy, "Oh thank you Fluttershy, you're the best friend a mare can have!" she then gave Fluttershy a big kiss on the cheek and left, "See ya".

Fluttershy looked dumbfounded, "What just happened?" she then went home still confused.

Meanwhile with The Crusaders, before Rumble had arrived in the room.

"Wow, it sounds really cool living with Fluttershy", Scootaloo said.

"Hell yeah it's cool, she's really nice and she's a great cook, she even tucks me in and sings a nice lullaby. Kinda sappy but I appreciate the kindness", Babs said. The Crusaders have been talking with Babs a bit about her time in Fluttershy's house.

"Well you got off easier than me and Scootaloo did after that incident with Rumble. Rarity was pretty mad, so were my parents, they took my toys away and told me if I ever hit someone again I would be sent to Military School, that's so harsh!" Sweetie Belle complained.

"I got that threat too, plus I lost my Scooter Privileges" Scootaloo said.

"Wasn't it enough that Apple Bloom beat me though?" Sweetie said.

"Ah...didn't...beat ya, ah just smacked you around a bit", Apple Bloom said.

"You made my face swollen", Sweetie pointed out.

"Ah gave you ice, ah took care of you. You know I love you Sweetie, but ah had to be tough, plus you knew ah liked Rumble, so you crossed a line. Yer just lucky he forgives all of ya".

"Yeah he's really nice to do that, I've been thinking that maybe I should do something nice for him like a peace offering", Babs said.

"I'm with you there Babs, I basically screwed the kid over and broke his heart, I need to make it up", Scootaloo said.

"Same here, I still can't believe I put my hooves on him, he's so cute too, I actually don't even know why I hated him in the first place", Sweetie said.

Scootaloo answered, "Too hesitant, shoehorned, being a colt-ah!" Apple Bloom had punched her side, "I'm telling!"

"Wuss".

"Knock it off! Lets be serious here, what can we do for him?" Babs asked.

"I know what I can do for my little Rumbley", Sweetie said and fluffed up her hair.

Apple Bloom glared, "Don't even think about it"

"Hey until he choses it's fair game!" Sweetie said.

"Why you!" Apple Bloom heard a knock, "Come in!"

Rumble opened the door, "Hi girls"

"Rumble!" Sweetie got up and hugged him hard, "I'm so happy to see you" she then left a big kiss on his cheek.

Rumble blushed a bit, "Great to see you too".

Apple Bloom growled and walked over to Rumble, "I'm happy to see you as well", she gave Rumble a kiss of her own.

Sweetie growled and spoke in a urban tone, "Don't make me go medieval on you".

Apple Bloom raised her eyebrow, "That was weird Sweetie Belle".

Babs chuckled, "I usually hear that talk in Manehatten"

Rumble broke away from the girls, "Come on, don't fight over me, I came here to get away from the bickering".

"What are the others bickering about?" Apple Bloom asked.

"You know how me, my brother, my foalsitters and Rainbow Dash went to Cloudsdale for a Wonderbolts Tryout Thing?"

"Yeah", they said.

"Well it's teams of two, Rainbow and Thunderlane make one team, Flitter & Cloudchaser make another, my partner ended up being Lightning Dust".

The fillies were shocked to hear that.

"Lightning Dust? You mean that whackjob Pegasus!?" Apple Bloom asked.

"The one who nearly got Twilight and her friends killed?" Scootaloo asked.

"Yeah, that's the one", Rumble said.

"She hit you really hard in Manehatten, you think you'll be able to properly work with her?" Sweetie asked.

"I can try to make it work, won't be easy though, who knows, maybe she'll end up liking me and then she and Trixie will be our friends", Rumble said.

"Trixie's here too?" Apple Bloom asked.

"Yeah, she's Lighting's Manager or something", Rumble explained.

"Ah thought Suri was?" Apple Bloom asked.

"Maybe they both are, I don't know, but I do need to try to make this work, maybe she has good in her", Rumble said.

"Well Rumble if anypony can turn jerks into friends, it's you", Scootaloo said.

"Come on, don't put yourself down, I'm not mad at any of you anymore, even if you did physically hurt me, nopony's perfect, not even me, you can ask Thunderlane about that. Though I will say that Lightning will be harder since she has more of an attitude problem, you girls were always sweethearts, you just make bad choices"

The fillies blushed a bit.

"I told you to stop being so nice! You could be a tiny bit mean to us you know, we are friends now so most mean things you say can be brushed off as childish behavior", Sweetie said.

"I'll say something mean when I think of it, but you need to stop being so adorable first", Rumble said, with a sly grin.

Sweetie looked at Rumble suspiciously, "Hey, are you being nice so you guilt us?"

Rumble brushed his mane back a bit, "Oh silly Sweetie, what makes you say that?"

Sweetie glared a bit, "You're messing with me, aren't you?"

"Whatever you say Cutie Belle", Rumble said.

Sweetie blushed madly and held her face in a pillow.

"Just a moment ago she was flirting with him, now he flirts back and she can't handle it", Babs said.

"Maybe she's just surprised he actually flirted back", Scootaloo said.

Sweetie stuck her head out the pillow, "It's not that...he's just so cute and sweet I can't handle it".

Rumble figured it's time to go in for the kill, he then planted a kiss on Sweetie's cheek, causing her to faint in love.

"Wow, nice moves Rumble", Scootaloo said.

Rumble rubbed his head a little, "It's nothing...", Rumble then had an evil grin, "By the way, you're looking very pretty today Scootaloo".

Now it's Scootaloo's turn to blush.

"Don't try that crap with me!" Scootaloo warned.

Rumble approached her with a sly smile, "Try what? I'm just being honest...Cute-aloo".

Scootaloo blushed more, "Sh...shut your mouth or I'll shut it for you!"

Rumble stepped before her with an evil look and cocky grin.

"Rumble I swear if you even THINK about..." Rumble then kissed her cheek, causing Scootaloo to angrily blush and run out the room.

Apple Bloom looked surprised, "Wow Rumble, that was...something".

"They wanted less nice, so I became a little cruel", Rumble said.

"So when are ya gonna be cruel with me?" Apple Bloom asked slyly.

"When you're naughty".

"Ah can do naughty" Apple Bloom gave a seductive smile.

"This is getting weird", Babs said.

Fluttershy then knocked on the door, Apple Bloom opened.

"Hello little ones, just saying I'm going home, Babs you can come back later tonight, I'm gonna make you a nice dinner".

"Thanks Flutters", Babs said.

Fluttershy left and Apple Bloom spoke up, "So who wants to do a little crusading?"

"What do you have in mind?" Rumble asked.

After an afternoon of crusading it was time for the foals to go home, Sweetie left with Scootaloo and then Babs started making her way out.

"Um Rumble, weird question but any chance you can walk me back to Fluttershy's?" Babs asked.

Apple Bloom looked a bit suspicions, "Babs, what are you doing?"

"I just wanna chat with him a bit", Babs stated.

Apple Bloom still looked unsure, "Fine but don't try anything stupid"

"I'm not gonna hurt him".

"That ain't what I meant".

It took Babs a moment to understand what she meant, "Right then, nothing 'stupid' will happen", she then approached, "So anyway would you?"

Rumble nodded "Sure lets go"

As they walked out Applejack went to them, "You both be safe now, don't wander off, it's late and ah don't want either of you getting hurt".

Rumble took her hoof in both his hooves, "Don't worry my fair maiden, I shall escort Babs home safely, then I myself shall brave the evening skies of Ponyville"

Applejack chuckled, "Ok young knight I shall entrust you with Babs, take this as my payment", she gave him a kiss on the cheek, causing him to blush madly, "Thank you fair maiden".

Babs found this hilarious, "See ya cuz".

"Take care Babs, love yah".

"You too".

Both foals left, Apple Bloom still suspicious.

As the foals walked, Babs spoke, "Kid, I owe you a massive explanation on my actions lately"

"I'm listening", Rumble said.

"You see back in Manehatten I had to deal with a lot of scumbags, be it fillies like Diamond Tiara who spread nasty rumors or colts who only cared for one thing, this goes beyond Cutie Mark teasing too. These other ponies were cruel and like Diamond Tiara they barely got in trouble due to some bullshit or another, they always put on a nice kid persona so they got away with a lot of crap, so when I first saw you I got a bit suspicious since you seemed so nice. I also saw how much Sweetie Belle didn't like ya, and I may have made things worse by encouraging her behavior, so part of me was concerned for my friends and especially my cousin since she has that little crush on you, I thought you would hurt her or misuse her. Now I still think her crush is a silly phase but I now believe that you would never hurt her, the moment you forgave me for how I acted, and how genuine you seemed, even with everypony else super mad, I knew you were the real deal, and for that please know I'm truly sorry for hurting you the way I have been".

Rumble nodded, "Thanks Babs, you're really sweet and I honestly do forgive you, Flitter has always told me never to hold a grudge, especially if you know the pony in question is truly regretful of their actions".

"So that's why you're so nice, that Flitter girl's the reason, she does remind me a little of Fluttershy", Babs said.

"They're both sweethearts, and deep down under that Manehatten toughness, I'm sure you are too", Rumble admitted.

Babs blushed a bit as she blew her hair out of her eye, "You really know how to charm a filly".

"Cloudchaser says I have natural talent for that".

"Maybe that can be your cutie mark"

Rumble chuckled, "Wow, imagine that".

Both chuckled then eventually ended up at Fluttershy's place.

"Bye Babs, see you tomorrow", Rumble said.

"Bye Rumble, good luck with that Lightning Dust chick, if anypony can change a bad attitude its you", Babs encouraged.

"Thanks, I'll try".

Before he left Babs, called again, "Listen, just throwing it out there, you wanna do something together? Just us two?"

"Just us two? Like a date?" Rumble asked.

Babs blushed, "Yeah, like a date".

"Sounds fun, but what about Apple Bloom? She has a crush on me and you said you didn't want her to get hurt", Rumble said.

"Don't worry about her, you two aren't a couple yet, so its fair game, if you want you can try dating her til you make up your mind, hell date Sweetie & Scoots, I just want my name in the hat, so you in?" Babs asked.

Rumble nodded, "Yeah I'm in, tomorrow after my practice with Lightning Dust we can go wherever".

Babs nodded, "Sounds awesome, see ya"

She went in and Rumble made his way home.

Babs went inside with a smile, "Wow, it actually worked, I have a chance at this kid", she then realized, "Gotta talk to Fluttershy!'

She went inside and encountered Fluttershy in the kitchen, "Hey Fluttershy, I'm here".

Fluttershy gave her a friendly smile, "So good to see you Babs, I got some food ready for you".

"Thanks", Babs said, then tapped her hooves nervously, "I need to ask ya something, it's a bit awkward for me, but I could really use yer insight. Any chance you know a thing or two about dating?"

That caught Fluttershy by surprise, then offered a smile, "I'll do my best".

Babs smiled and then the two had a nice chat over dinner.

Meanwhile Rumble is making his way home, "Wow, I have a date, so cool, though this means I'll have 3 apples to choose from", something occurred to him, "Though there's also Sweetie & Scoots, more tough choices".

As he walked he saw Trixie & Lightning set up camp in the park.

"Damn, no place to sleep in this town, where's your trailer anyway?" Lightning asked.

"Back with Suri, Trixie thought we could have a motel or something", Trixie admitted.

"Well obviously that's not the case with this damn village", Lightning complained, kicking a rock angrily.

"Just get some sleep, you have training tomorrow", Trixie reassured.

Rumble decided to approach them.

"Hey there Miss Trixie and Miss Lightning Dust", Rumble said.

Lightning Dust groaned, "What is it kid?"

"I just wanna say that I think we can make a great team, I hope we can even be friends afterwards", Rumble said.

"Whatever kid, now buzz off, I'm going to sleep" Lightning Dust entered the tent.

"Don't worry about her, she's just a little grouchy, we'll see you tomorrow" Trixie said.

"Ok Miss Trixie, see you tomorrow" Rumble then made his way home.

Trixie couldn't help but smile, Rumble seems like a nice boy.

"You coming Trixie?" Lightning asked from within the tent.

"Yeah, I am", Trixie went into the tent.

Inside the tent, Lighting is laying down, still in a bad mood, so Trixie decided to comfort her, "Listen, I know you're concerned, but think of it like this, if you can make this work, you'll prove to be the best flyer".

Lightning groaned, "Yeah, fine, whatever you say".

Trixie nuzzled Lighting a bit, "I won't let anything blow your chances, I'm here for you".

Lightning smiled and nuzzled back, "Thanks Trixie, glad I can count at you at least".

The two mares then went to sleep, ready for the next day, hopefully at least.

Author's Note:

Sorry for deviating from the plot, the story will kick in next chapter.