• Published 12th Aug 2015
  • 1,289 Views, 30 Comments

I am Machine - FoxyAndPip



After an...accident causes Rainbow Dash to lose most of her body, it being replaced with robotic parts and artificial intelligence, Rainbow and her friends must get used to her new life.

  • ...
10
 30
 1,289

Chapter 3

I stretched my legs and wings. “Ah, it feels good to be out of that hospital.”

“I thought you couldn’t feel? You’re a robot,” Twilight said, choking up at that last word. I wished I could help her. But I can’t. I’m just a heartless machine, right?

“Yes, but the doctors managed to make artificial nerves so I kept my sense of touch,” I explained.

“Oh. That makes sense. Science really has progressed these past few years, hasn’t it?” she said trying to make conversation.

“I wouldn’t know…”

“Oh. Right.”

The doctors said I shouldn’t live on my own for a while yet, not until I regained at least quite a large portion of my memories. Twilight volunteered to look after me. She just got this look in her eyes when the doctor brought it up. A look others might interpret as depression, or even insanity. Me? I saw pure determination.

We walked through the town Twilight told me was called Ponyville. I saw quite a few ponies give me weird looks as we walked past, but some seemed relieved to see I was OK. A few, however, seemed angry or disappointed. I diverted my attention to the sidewalk I was walking on.

“Rainbow Dash! Is that you?” I looked up to see a small orange pegasus filly running up to me with wide eyes.

“Um, yeah, kind of,” I replied hesitantly.

“Um, Scootaloo? Can we talk?” Twilight intervened.

“Um OK?”

Twilight told me to stay where I was as she and the filly, presumably called Scootaloo, walked a few feet away and began muttering. Scootaloo looked back to me for a second worried and looked back.

They walked back over, Scootaloo looking a lot less excited to see me than before.

“Sorry about that Rainbow Dash, I didn’t know,” she said sadly.

“It’s OK. Do you want to tell me who you are?” I asked, hoping it would jog my memory. Not just because I wanted my memories back, but because that might provide me with the metaphorical keys needed to unlock my emotions and personality.

“OK. I’m Scootaloo, your number 1 fan and adoptive sister.”

“What do you mean?” I asked, curious.

Scootaloo told me all about how we became ‘sisters’, as well as the other adventures we’d had together. I smiled as she told me story.

“I sound like a great sister,” I said.

“You are. But, Rainbow? I have a question.”

“yes?”

“I thought you lost your emotions.”

“Oh,” my gaze dropped. “Well, technically I have, but I’ve been programmed with artificial emotions. It feels like I have emotions, and seems like I do on the outside, but when I think about it properly…it’s all a lie…”

“Oh…sorry I asked,” Scootaloo said.

I looked back up and put on a brave face. “It’s OK. You couldn’t have known. We’ll talk later, Scootaloo,” I said.

“OK!” she said, running off excitedly.

“Well, she was…active,” I said to Twilight as we continued our walk towards Twilight’s home.

“You were too…”

Author's Note:

Pip: Poor Twilight. She seems to be having a hard time, huh?
Foxy: *holding a bunch of torture devices* Oh we haven't even started yet!
Pip: Foxy!
Foxy: Kidding, kidding...*pulls out pen and paper* THIS IS ME REAL TORTURE DEVICE!!!!