• Published 7th Aug 2015
  • 1,486 Views, 26 Comments

No Sun-Queen Shall Rend Asunder - Plough and Stars Pony



An anthology of stories derived from Bad Seed 72's tale "What Hath Joined Together" with her permission. The title is the second half of the Biblical quotation re-worked for the pony universe.

  • ...
20
 26
 1,486

A Longing Look

A warm starry night for the Grand Galloping Gala. No clouds to hide a single constellation.

That meant that many of the nobles and celebrities (including many ponies that knew how bone-poundingly dull the Gala was, but could not avoid going; and those who were putting up with it) were outside under a marquee drifting, talking, grazing the buffet, or admiring the light music provided. More walked the bounds of the Gardens coruscating by small multi-coloured fairy-lights. There was those V.I. ponies who were wondering what would go wrong this year, remembering with a shudder the animal rampage and a bored pink Earth pony mare.

Celestia, freed from the endless line of ponies to shake hoofs with, serenely walks through the high-ceilinged glittering ball-room and the thinly-scattered crowds. As she passes she nods to first one group, then another. She could not see Twilight and her friends anywhere in here. They must be outside. The Solar alicorn changes her path to a balcony overlooking the gardens. Once there, she sees the warmly-lit paths around the marquee surrounded by the deeper dimness of the wider policies. Singles, couples, and larger groups wandering here and there. Plates of snacks and glasses of either wine or cider floating in scintillating auras.

Unicorn, unicorn, unicorn, unicorn, Wonderbolt, unicorn, unicorn, Applejack, unicorn, one pink alicorn - Cadance - ... now then, that was something, her little niece had been awfully keen to have a long chat with Twilight on their own with the other Element-Bearers the last two nights, after the preparations for the Gala were completed. Why Cadance wanted an extra-long time like that with Twilight, when Twilight had taken the time to visit her in the Crystal Empire twice in the last several weeks, baffled her. And there had been the ponyhoof number of times, that she had seen most of the Element -Bearers snickering, smirking, glancing at Twilight, and nudging her conspiratorially.

And Celestia had been meaning to ask Cadance the question that she had been discussing with Luna the same seven-or-so weeks concerning Twilight's odd behaviour since she had come back from her second holiday to the Empire. Celestia and Luna had well-founded suspicions stemming from long, long experience of knowing ponies. They had both confirmed what they suspected with each other. Luna had wanted to let Twilight know, but Celestia had wanted to wait to let Cadance in to their circle. Celestia had idly wondered that Cadance would be thrilled to learn what her two aunts had seen in the young lavender mare. She sighed. That could wait for to-morrow. It was too late at the moment to broach the subject.

Celestia decides to go down and inquire of Applejack if she knew where her other friends were.

Twilight had shaken Iron Hoof off with a plea of taking her closest dearest multiple Equestria-saving damsels of friends a walk round the fairy-lanternlit paths of the policies to catch up on things. She knew Iron Hoof couldn't bring himself to object to that, and he had allowed her to. And they had done that. Most of the time had been excited whisperings and giggles focussing on her deep feelings for, and young relationship with a certain golden-yellow Pegasus Royal Guard. They had gladly expressed their deep pride in her, bringing hot blushes to her face. To the point that she ducked her head down to the ground, hiding under her midnight-blue bangs, grin so wide in her face it was starting to hurt, her lavender cheeks boiling with heat, eyes swirling in moisture threatening to overspill.

Twilight had told them of the juiciest occasions of what she and Flash, her friend - her lover, her colt - had got up to in both the policies and in her chambers since she had seen them last, in Ponyville. Her friends had gasped, tittered and roared, slapping her withers with hoofs and wings, causing curious glances from the unicorn nobles nearest them. Twilight grinned along with them, see-ing again the moment, she and Flash in their special moment of claimed eternity in mind's eye. Again her nerves blaze, pink lips tingle, heart jangles faster, four hoofs itch - a desire to dance. Eyes close to the mantra sounding inside, the three-word mantra that was now greater than the need for food and drink, the three words she thought every day now, the words she would never tire of hearing...

In time, they draw near the marquee once more. Ten or so unicorn and others cluster round one of the fountains, talking of boring stuff. Ducking inside, Rainbow zipping off once she sees the other Wonderbolts, Twilight stacks up a plate of sweet and savoury snacks from the buffet as her ears tip to the adagio out of the grey Earth pony mare's cello on stage, Octavia glaring at Pinkie, who remained oblivious to her. The lavender alicorn spots the gambogee Applejack outside through the transparent side of the marquee.

Plate and snacks floating in her magic, Twilight snags a cup of fizzy wine or juice and heads out. Blue Blood trudges in right then, right there. Customary rose in lapel of solitary tie and collar, forelock drooping down his bored sneering face, the spotlights shining on the white poll between his down-turned ears. Just like that he barges past her. Twilight hops back, snatching plate and drink back out of his path just in time. "Hey!" she protests under her breath, annoyed.

"Oh good, look at that, food," the prince drones in a murmur, not seeing her. "Food that isn't prepared by a lowly dirty peasant pony," his eyes flick to Applejack, who meets his eyes a moment through the plastic wall. He didn't see that Rarity is also glaring at him, teeth threatening to grind like a lathe, Fluttershy patting her shoulder to comfort and to distract. The white unicorn turns on the buffet table. "I'm hungry," Blue Blood says. He walks over to pick up a plate in one hoof and the other hoof reaches for the plastic pair of tongs plunged in one of the salad bowls.

Twilight is not looking at him anymore.

Her eyes had been rivetted to the Royal Guardspony behind him, plodding resigned in the spoilt Prince's wake. The stallion who was once, and would evermore be her Guardspony. Twilight sees him, at once, brighter than should be possible from the fairy-lights available. Flash shone, his gold armour gleaming, fur and feathers brushed and groomed almost to a shimmer.

Flash sees her.

His arms and legs straighten at once, his shoulders rolling back. A corner of his mouth twitches and curls for a second. He couldn't risk a full smile at her, let alone a friendly grin, not here, not now. Twilight also couldn't risk a smile for long, even though she did want to ask him how his evening was faring. Instead, she too smiles for an instant. "Flash Sentry," she says in a voice of neutral remark.

Flash looks at Blue Blood heaping his plate and talking to a blue unicorn stallion with a wavy mane who had come over; his gaze holds for a long pause. Flash glances to the mare who would always be his Princess. Looking in to her purple-ringed pupils for a heartbeat. Iron Hoof had arranged so they would be separate for the whole event. Yet here they were, close enough to acknowledge each other, yet not close enough for him to feel the heat of her barrel and flanks. The Pegasus indicates with his eyes Blue Blood, now stepping away from the table heading to a quartet of stallions and mares led by the blue unicorn. He quietly sighs, breath rushing out of him, his pose sagging. Twilight nods once, rolling her eyes.

Flash looks at her once more. His eyes hold her gaze a heartbeat...two heartbeats...three heartbeats. Flash sighs a second time, looking searchingly in to her eyes. As if to say I want you. I want to be alone with you. Just the two of us here, now.

Twilight sees, she reads the unspoken wish. Now it's her turn to sigh sadly. I know Twilight mouthes to him. Twilight shrugs. Just wait, Flash Twilight mouthes. Just wait.

Flash nods once. He steps forward to catch up to Blue Blood.

Twilight watches him go, not-at-all-admiring his legs and thighs framed by the armour he wore. it was just one evening, then it would be over.