• Published 7th Aug 2015
  • 1,484 Views, 26 Comments

No Sun-Queen Shall Rend Asunder - Plough and Stars Pony



An anthology of stories derived from Bad Seed 72's tale "What Hath Joined Together" with her permission. The title is the second half of the Biblical quotation re-worked for the pony universe.

  • ...
20
 26
 1,484

Guess Who is Seen Together?

One month after their first kiss, and soon after the Grand Galloping Gala, our young heroes draw near the borders of the open part of the policies. Ahead of them, lay the shaded pathways on the terrace. Two wide stairways sweep up from the lawn to a landing, crossing to sweep up again to meet the lip of the terrace.

Nopony, especially Guardsponies, were in sight.

Our heroes feel they can talk freely while still out in the open.

"I can make my way from here, Flash," the lavender alicorn says.

"Of course, Twilight," her tangerine gold stallion replies.

They know that there are certain times they could be seen together. They were not many. Only time remained until they felt confident enough to go public to the rest of the Palace.

"Again, thank you for another wonderful evening."

"The pleasure is all mine to give, it makes you happy."

Aawwww, Flash. You are one of the best friends for me."

"Thank you, love."

A surreptitious glance around.

His mare's smile is sweet.

"I give you my hoof to kiss, Sir Flash Sentry," she says grandly, holding out her forearm and hoof.

Flash bows like the courtly gentlecolt, and the honoured Knight he is expected to play. He cups the Princess's hoof in his frog, he bends his head forward, gently pressing his lips to the lavender nap just above the boundary of the keratin.

Once the courtly kiss is performed, it is customary for the one honoured to withdraw their head. However, Flash does not do this. He lowers his head further to nuzzle her arm.

Twilight chuckles.

With her other hoof she strokes it through his stiff blue mane.

Flash never wasted any opportunities to demonstrate his affection for her, did he?

The seconds drag by, the last of what the special someponies could eke out of each of their meetings.

Finally, Twilight decides it was time to end it.

Stopping her mane-stroking, she whispers:

"Hey, Flash, could I have my hoof back, please?"

"Heh, yeah. Here you are." The Knight raises his head from the appendage.

"How say we pick this up next time?"

"Ha, great idea, Twilight. Are we going out or staying in next time?"

"Hmm, I wouldn't mind staying in this time, Flash."

"Okay, then, it's a date!"

The old joke between them. See-ing each other for simply, innocent, friendly dates, but not calling them as such, knowing they were an excuse for two ponies in love to take time out of their day to see and catch up.

"It's a date!"

Mare and stallion, Princess and Knight separate on their individual ways in to the Palace. Ready to meet up the next time.

Under the shadowed walks on the terrace, a lone Guardspony stand unseen. He had seen everything. But not heard anything clearly.

Pharos had ended his shift a few hours ago. He had been taking a walk in the policies on a cool early summer evening.

Pharos liked being in a tunnel of leaves and flowers, sloughing in the slightest wind, especially with the view over the topiary, and lawns of the grounds.

He had been standing there when he had saw two ponies emerge from the hedges and pause near the foot of the staircase. Their coat-colours indistinct and their cutie-marks blotches in the darkness. But he had seen the wings of one and the horn and wings of the other.

Pharos had seen the Pegasus with a upright stiff mane turn to the alicorn. The unicorn with the long indigo bangs had raised one hoof, the Pegasus had bent his head down to it that could mean only one pony.

The Pegasus kissed the Princess's hoof, but had not immediately raised his head and had kept it down...what?

Pharos saw the Princess look down at the Pegasus...and begin stroking his mane? Pharos finds himself staring at the two, unable or unwilling to look away; breathing out loud, but unheard by the Princess and...her friend? Her favourite? Her...coltfriend? Shock and unease twists and bubbles in his stomach and lungs.

The Princess stops stroking the stallion's mane, and a moment later, he lifts his head from her arm and steps away from her...who? His Sovereign? His friend? His marefriend?

Pharos sees the dazzling enamel-white glint of toothy smiles.

The Pegasus stallion turns away to climb the stairs. The Princess takes to her wings and shoots up and over the terrace towards the Palace. The unknown stallion briefly looks up at her flying form.

Pharos turns way, and whole barrel tensed and hunching on hooftips, hurries away. The intimate sight is branded on to eyes and brain, playing over and over. Who had that Pegasus been? Pharos was sure he should be able to recognise him in the daytime.

And just what was that he had seen? Flirting? An overly-extravagant acceptance of a Princess's favour? Close friendship?