• Published 7th Aug 2015
  • 1,471 Views, 26 Comments

No Sun-Queen Shall Rend Asunder - Plough and Stars Pony



An anthology of stories derived from Bad Seed 72's tale "What Hath Joined Together" with her permission. The title is the second half of the Biblical quotation re-worked for the pony universe.

  • ...
20
 26
 1,471

"N.S.Q.S.R.A." Chapter One Night Train A

Steel Wind cantered down the corridor after the rest of the Royal Guard. The few pegasi and many unicorns in charge of Canterlot’s weather had blessed the Avalon-lofted Capitol a mild cloudy day with spells of sunshine. The sunshine gleamed through the windows, against the opulent tapestries and the bland ugly stone.

It had, he mused, been four weeks exactly since Flash had to go with Princess Twilight Sparkle up to the Crystal Empire for a research trip. Flash had been so lucky. Ordinary Royal Guards would never get that amount of free time racked up. Maybe being a personal bodyguard to one of Equestria’s Princesses granted privileges…

Steel broke trot and skidded – horseshoes squealing and screeching on the rough flags. Steel blinked, certain he had missed something, a little obvious something. He cast back his mind: Flash…bodyguard…same grey stone, bright blue and gold blur bobbing past the corner of his eye --- yes!

Steel swung his head to the right to a draperied colonnade, as the orange blur slipped behind a marble column. Past the other side, Steel saw the bright blue crop of mane, and the square muzzle and orange coat of one of his best friends, Flash Sentry.
Hardly registering his wings snapping out from his sides in excitement and pleasure, Steel’s brain snapped on and in to overdrive. Steel, entirely for-going considering the consequences of the next action, sucked in a massive breath and blew it out in one:

“FLASH!” Steel bellowed.

The few Royal guards in the Hall flinched at the noise, and glared at him. Even the fires in the lanterns and torches and braziers shivered.

Flash jumped and spun round in the air, his landing a loud clank. His eyes darted everywhere, ears flicked back: textbook fight-or-flight.

Flash saw Steel waving, or rather, a stallion doing his hardest to lob his fore-hoof off. Flash meekly returned a wave of his own, a self-conscious grin on is muzzle as a side-dish.

Steel looked round at the hostile glares of the surrounding Guards and mouthed “See you later at dinner” to Flash. Steel went on his way to his post, muttering obsequious apologies to other passing Guards.

Flash trotted up the stairs and cross the gallery, chuckling: “Oh that Steel Wind, just like him to give me a welcome like that.”

“Sir Flash Sentry,” a peremptory command barked in his ear.

The said Royal Guard failed to hide his surprise as he turned to face the Captain of the Royal Guard, Iron Hoof. Iron Hoof still wore the purple armour with gold trim, polished always to a vanity-flattering luster. It, however, contrasted with is cold-grey coat and colder-grey unshorn hoofs and mane. Iron Hoof’s usual disapproving expression broke in a little and swiftly-murdered smirk.

Flash recovered his composure, and straightened; before bowing deep to the floor, pushing his eyes to the floor. He had been humiliated, just for a moment, by his superior officer and his greatest enemy.

“Flash,” the Captain repeated, pinning Flash with a quelling look. “I see that Princess Twilight Sparkle and you have returned from her research trip. I trust the Princess was able to find the answers to her questions?” Flash, throat vibrant with response, opened his mouth.

“No matter,” Iron Hoof cut him off, curtly. “Report to my office to give a full account after dinner this evening.” He walked past Flash before remarking, “And who was making that Galaxia-dammed noise like a mud-pony mare in the height of heat?”

Flash crushed a detesting shudder shimmering through him, before replying in the most level and respectful of tones, “I do not know, sir, I did not recognise him, sir.”

Iron Hoof grunted dismissively, continuing to clop on his way. Flash picked up his route again. Oh Steel Wind is in for a Tartarus of a time if Iron Hoof ever finds out.