• Published 4th Aug 2015
  • 2,141 Views, 37 Comments

Dark Paradise 2: The Twiluna prompt tag collab - Majora



A collection of short, adorkable Twiluna fics

  • ...
9
 37
 2,141

Above the clouds by SongCoyote

Author's Note:

SongCoyote

With an exhilarated whoop, Twilight Sparkle flew further up, toward the thick blanket of clouds that hung over most of Equestria. Idly she wondered what Celestia would think when morning came and the view of her Sun was still blocked; the thought startled her, and she felt a hitch in her breath as she realized that, at least this once, she didn't care in the least.

The reason for this cavalier attitude flew behind her, watching her antics with a bemused grin. Luna could easily overtake Twilight if she wished, as the younger alicorn was not a skilled flier, but she was quite content simply to follow.

"Come on!" Twilight called back over her shoulder, unconsciously echoing Luna’s thoughts. "I know you're faster than me!"

"Fly on, Twilight! We are..." Luna sighed and shook her head ruefully. "I am right behind you."

"Alrighty!" The first wisps of cloud were curling around Twilight as she continued to climb, feeling the burn in her wings as she started to disappear into the fluffy bank.

Inside the cloud it was a bit disorienting - everything was a uniform, cold gray, and it seemed for a moment as if she would never find her way out. The pull of gravity helped her keep track, though, and before long she could feel the cloying dampness start to fade as the clouds thinned.

"Almost there...." A frown of concentration creased Twilight’s forehead as she fought for the last few feet of altitude... and then she was through! Threads of cloud clung to her legs as she slowed to a hover, eyes wide at the spectacle above her: the bright Moon surrounded by uncountable stars, the thick layer beneath her keeping any artificial light from interfering with her view.

Her mouth hung open, her mind stunned into uncharacteristic silence. So grand was the spectacle, so pure the sight of the unfettered sky, that she didn't seem to notice Luna flying up beside her, a smile on her face.

"I am pleased you accepted my invitation tonight."

Twilight tore her gaze from the sky and turned it on her favorite princess. "How could I not, especially after..." Her voice trailed off, her cheeks flushing pink even in the cool night air.

"I am honored that you asked, and have given it much thought." Luna gestured toward a seemingly uninteresting section of the sky. "I believe you will find the answer you seek there."

Turning in the air, Twilight followed the line of Luna's foreleg, blinking as she saw that it led to a set of faint stars. As she watched they seemed to shimmer, almost as if they were forming letters.

Twilight's breath caught. Had Luna altered the span of the stars just to send her a message? Her rapt gaze stayed on the pattern of distant lights as they resolved into a faint outline that soon became a short word.

Y - E - S.

Her squeal of delight as she dove into Luna's hooves might well have reached Canterlot if they hadn't been so high, taking the first steps into a new life together, their hooves above the clouds.