• Published 4th Aug 2015
  • 2,142 Views, 37 Comments

Dark Paradise 2: The Twiluna prompt tag collab - Majora



A collection of short, adorkable Twiluna fics

  • ...
9
 37
 2,142

Frailty, thy name is by GoG ToXiC

frail…

She is so…

inside…

broken…

frail…

Twilight’s features twisted into a grimace as the stars pulsed in erratic non-sequence, eldritch magics more ancient than Equus itself bombarding her without rest. The waves dispersed harmlessly against her own ethereal shroud, itself conjured in the astral planes and reinforced with the purest of raw magics from the heart of Celestia’s sun, but she could still feel the evil prying at her skin.

frail…

Her mind…

broken…

fail…

YOU WILL

She almost staggered under the weight of the command. Almost. Instead she held her head aloft and glared into the perforated blackness, eyes fixated on the tiniest pinprick of red light, flickering a hundred thousand lifetime’s journeys off in the distance. “No.” Her muzzle did not open, but her thoughts projected power, resonating to the furthest reaches of the great aether. “I will not.”

The stars held no power of their own - not in the true sense of the word. They shaped reality through mortals, attacking minds with subliminal suggestions, deceitful urgings, and insidious ideas, compelling the weak-willed or vulnerable to act out their biddings. Even now their fragmented words and messages grasped at her mind, telepathic claws skittering and searching for the slightest breach in her defenses to be exploited. They would not find it; thousands of lifetimes of experience and research had gone towards making her mind akin to a fortress - impenetrable. It stood as a testament to the effectiveness of the stars’ infectious presence then, that even so the allure of promises and temptations tugged at her will. She wondered briefly if committing her essence fully to the aether had been the right course after all.

Fake…

Your power…

flawed…

unreal…

IN BLOOD

paid for…

Their words shook her, but they did not stop her, and she projected her thoughts outwards once more. “Your words are faker than my wings.” Her tone was acid, and space and time shivered with the stars’ cold rage. “Give her to me, or I will snuff out every. Last. One of you.

LIES!

ours…

She is…

Always…

eternal…

with us…

one…

YOU CANNOT HAVE HER

The universe shook violently, as though reality itself was collapsing under the wrath of the stars’ hatred. Twilight grinned. Her will extended, reaching out across the fathomless, infinite depth. Non-corporeal as her grip was, she could still feel the compression of reality as the universe ebbed and flowed about her.

“That’s good,” Twilight said, almost serenely. A distant light winked out and space gave off an almost imperceptible shiver. “To some-” another light flickered out - “what I am about to do might be labelled genocide.” Two more switched off. “I prefer to think of it as cleansing myself.” A whole cluster was stifled. “You claim to be infinite-” a thin slice of space went dark - “But i have spent a thousand hundred lifetimes developing the craft of magic beyond perfection.” A vast swath of twinkling space gave way to blackness. “I have become infinite, and in my game of infinites, you are frail.”

No!

we are…

you cannot…

Eternal……

You-

“And you are infinite no longer.” With a tormented scream, the universe went dark, but for the faint flickering of a distant red light at the furthest edge of reality. Twilight’s gaze had never broken away from it. “Countless more lifetimes it might take me,” she whispered to the malevolent spark, “but I will find her, and I will kill you. And the moon will be slave to the stars no longer.”

The universe shook with insidious laughter. “You will try, and you will die. And I will make her watch. I who has looked upon the universe since before time itself am more than all reality put together. Frailty, thy name is Twilight Sparkle. I need not stars to break you.”

It could’ve been several hours or several years before she responded; time had long since lost its meaning. But when she did, it was with collected and measured confidence. Her eyes had still yet to break from the flickering crimson glow.

“We will see.”

Author's Note:

GoG ToXiC