• Published 24th Jul 2015
  • 338 Views, 19 Comments

Shattered Harmony Part 1 - The Call - Phazon_Corrupted_Unicorn



The world of Equestria hangs in the balance. An ancient foe will return. The Elements need to be ready. But first they'll have to accept the help of an entire empire, an empire of Changelings

  • ...
2
 19
 338

Chapter 5 - Honesty

Amant woke up to the slight crack of sunlight that shone through his half closed curtains. He rolled out of bed, strode out his door, and headed for the construction site. He got there after a bit to see Apple Bloom and the crewlings already at work, digging out the foundation and preparing cement to be poured. He spied Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle sitting by the edge, careful not to get in the way of any of the workers. Amant sat down next to them and watched the clearing buzz with activity. He glanced over at Scootaloo. “Scootaloo?” he asked and she looked at him.

“You could call me Scoot, all my friends do,” she said.

“Yes, well,” he said as he cleared his throat, “I don’t plan on staying here long, especially not long enough to make friends.”

The two mares stared at him in surprise. “Not make friends?” Scootaloo said, “but anypony can. It’s not that hard, and it takes almost no time at all. In fact, I’d say that you’ve already made friends with Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and I. Maybe even Rainbow, Applejack, and Rarity by association.”

“Perhaps, but the end goal does not depend on me making friends,” Amant retorted.

“That’s what Princess Twilight said when she first came to Ponyville,” Sweetie Belle piped in, “but then when she and her friends defeated Nightmare Moon, she realized how important friends are.”

Amant perked up his ears at that. “So,” he said slowly, “who are her friends?”

“Well, everypony in town is, really,” Scootaloo said, “but her five best friends are Rainbow, Rarity, and Applejack, who all met you yesterday, as well as Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy. They’re the six mares that Ponyville has to thank for dealing with all the disasters and such, like with Discord or the Changeling Queen.”

Amant almost choked on his breath. “Wait,” he asked, “you know who the Changelings are?”

“Yeah, ever since five years ago when they crashed Princess Cadence’s wedding,” Sweetie Belle, “Ponies don’t really like it when other ponies impersonate royalty, especially to invade Canterlot.”

“But what do you all think about them?” Amant asked.

“I think they’re cool!” Scootaloo said, “imagine being able to transform into anypony you want! I could look like Rainbow Dash and fly as fast as she does! It would be amazing!”

“True,” Sweetie Belle stated, “but it could also be dangerous. What if you ran into somepony that you looked like, then you would have to explain why you look like them.”

“Yeah, but if you stayed away from their town, you wouldn’t have to worry about it,” Scootaloo replied.

“But if somepony saw you, then saw the other pony, they would wonder what was going on.”

“That’s why it’s tricky with illusion magic,” Amant piped in, “Unicorns have to be careful not to imitate anypony that would be easily recognizable. I think the same goes for Changelings.”

“Yeah, but it would be cool. Imagine all the pranks I could play!” Scootaloo said, a smile on her face and a far off look in her eyes as she daydreamed of the possibilities.

Amant watched her for a second, then turned his attention back to the reason he’d come over. “So, tell me,” he said, drawing their attention back to him, “these five friends of Princess Twilight, were they there when she picked up the Elements of Harmony?”

“Were they there!?” Scootaloo broke out of her revere to gape at him, “they were the ones that were chosen by the Elements of Harmony to help Twilight!”

“Wait, are you saying that you’re not the Element Bearers?” Amant stared at the two of them, mouth open.

Scootaloo shook her head. “Nope, though it would be cool to be one. Rainbow’s the Element of Loyalty, and I’m trying to be like her every day. That’s why friends are so important to me.”

“And my sister Rarity is the Element of Generosity,” Sweetie Belle replied, “that’s why her shop does so well, even though she doesn’t sell many dresses. She does touch ups and fixes for free, and many ponies like her work so she gets referrals all the time. She’s worked on several lines of dresses for many of the nobles in Canterlot, like Fancy Pants and his wife, along with Sapphire Shores. She’s even hosted a few fashion shows attended by Hoity Toity, and traveled to Manehattan for competitions.”

“Yep, and Applejack’s the Element of Honesty, so good luck trying to lie to her,” Scootaloo smiled, “Apple Bloom works hard to live up to her sister’s image.”

“All of us do,” Sweetie Belle stated, “the Elements of Harmony are less of an old mare’s tale and more of a reality for us. We live alongside the Bearers and we see how they live their life. We can only try to do the same.”

“And the other two are Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy, each one represents an Element of Harmony,” Scootaloo remarked.

“Together with Princess Twilight, they all form the Elements of Harmony. But since giving the Elements back to the Tree of Harmony we don’t know what’s going to happen. I mean, they still have the cool ability to shoot a rainbow at anypony who stands against them, but how can they do that without using the Elements?” Scootaloo asked.

“So what can you tell me about Rainbow Dash?” Amant asked. Scootaloo smiled widely.

“Boy could I tell you anything you want!” she yelped with joy, “I’m part of her fan club and love to watch her.”

“How does she show Loyalty?”

Scootaloo thought for a few minutes, then said, “she’s always there when you need her. She’s willing to set aside her own troubles and difficulties to help anypony out. She was there to encourage Fluttershy when she was scared to help out lifting water to Cloudsdale. She gave me courage when I was depressed that I couldn’t fly for our flag carrying at the Equestrian Games. She saved Rarity when she fell during the Best Young Fliers Competition in Cloudsdale instead of going on with her routine.”

“But let’s not forget that she’s also prideful, stubborn, boastful and headstrong,” Sweetie Belle piped in.

“Well, yeah, she is those things. But when it comes to Loyalty, she’s the pony you’d be glad to have on your side when the going gets tough,” Scootaloo defended.

Amant thought for a second. “Do you know where I might find her?” he asked, “I’d like to ask her how she views Loyalty.”

“Well, since it’s the morning she might be sleeping in the orchards at Sweet Apple Acres,” Scootaloo said, “or she could be practicing her stunts. Though that’s easy enough to figure out if she’s doing that or sleeping.” She pointed up at the sky and Amant nodded, then he stood and left the clearing.

He walked toward the apple farm, hoping to find Rainbow Dash. He searched among the trees, gazing up into the branches. He was so busy looking up that he didn’t bother looking straight ahead, thus plowing into the side of a wagon that decided it wanted to say hello to him. He tumbled to the ground and shook his head, only to find his view filled with the sight of a familiar farmpony staring down at him in concern.

“Ya’ll alrigh’?” Applejack asked, helping him up, “Ah guess Ah was too busy workin’ that Ah didn’t even see ya.”

“No problem,” Amant said, dusting off his fur, “do you know where I might find Rainbow Dash in this forest of apple trees?”

“Rainbow?” Applejack asked, “well, she’s prob’ly sleepin’, Celestia knows she loves ta do it when Ah’m workin’.”

“Thanks,” Amant replied and started to trot off down the rows before a thought struck him and he turned back to chase after the wagon. He ran around a tree and almost slammed into the back of the wagon. He dug his heels into the ground to stop him inches from the wooden wagon. “Applejack?” he asked, poking his head around the wooden obstacle to see the farmpony dragging out buckets large enough for her to sleep in from the wagon and setting them around a tree filled with apples. She set down a bucket and turned to look at him.

“Yes?” she asked, fishing out another bucket.

“Do you mind if I spent the day with you?” he asked, “I’ve got a few questions I need to ask you.”

“Sure,” she replied, “as long as ya’ll don’t mind workin’. Too many things ta do on the farm to stop for a chat, unless yer Granny.”

“Great! What do I do?” Amant asked.

“Take these here baskets and set ‘em around the trunk of these trees,” Applejack pointed out several trees close to the wagon, “then when they’re all there, buck the trunk as hard as ya can. Don’t worry about hurtin’ ‘em, they’re good ‘n strong.”

Amant lit his horn and pulled a basket from the wagon. He grunted in effort as he hefted the heavy basket the dozen or so hooves to the foot of a tree then he dropped it, letting it slam into the ground as he huffed. He turned back to the wagon only to see Applejack watching him.

“What?” he said, still a little out of breath.

“It’s just ya’ll don’t use yer magic very often, do ya?” she asked.

“Why do you say that?” he grunted as he hefted another basket out of the wagon.

“Cause Ah’ve seen Twilight levitate hundreds of apples off their trees and into baskets. Ah’ve even seen ‘er carry several, full baskets at one time. Ya’ll are outta breath after one, empty basket.

“Well,” he said, thinking back to his time in the Empire, “I didn’t really have need to use my magic.”

“A Unicorn that doesn’t use their magic fer everythin’? Now Ah’ve heard o’ everythin’!” He watched Applejack chuckle as she pulled out a stack of buckets, then set them down next to a tree. She studied the tree, then spun around and slammed her hind legs into the trunk. Amant winced at the force behind the blow, but it was swallowed up in shock and surprise as he heard the sound of dozens of apples falling off the tree and landing in the baskets. He watched the buckets fill with apples, then Applejack turn and heft a bucket onto her back, finally placing it in the wagon. She did that for the other full buckets, turning to look at him as she placed the last bucket down.

“How do you do that?” he asked.

“Applebuck?” she replied, “simple, Ah line up mah shot and take it. These trees are hardy, they’ve been through a lot. Cold winters, long, hot summers, even Parasprite infestations. There’s not much they can’t handle. Now, didn’t ya’ll have some questions fer me?”

Amant blinked, then nodded, remembering the reason he’d offered to spend the day with the farmpony. “Yes, what is Honesty to you?”

“Honesty?” Applejack grunted, slamming her hind hooves into the next tree and listening to the apples land in the bucket, “Honesty is doin’ the right thing. Tellin’ the truth, no matter what happens.”

He nodded at that answer, then continued, “how do you emulate it?”

“Emu-what now?”

“Show it, I mean.”

“Well, that’s an easy one. Ah sell these here apples at a fair price. Ah only bring the best ones to market. Ah even give the occasional apple away, good fer business.” Applejack stopped and thought for a bit, then continued, “Ah also try ta only tell the truth. Ah know it might hurt other ponies when Ah do it, but it’s mah duty as the Element of Honesty to say the hard things. Ah didn’t tell the truth one time, and Granny almost got hurt because of it. Since then, Ah’ve alway tried to tell the truth, no matter what. Why so curious about it?”

Amant waved a hoof as if to ward off a fly. “I’m just curious, that’s all,” he deflected.

Applejack stared hard at him. “One other thing Ah’m gifted with,” she said, a cold edge to her voice, “is the ability ta tell if anypony’s lyin’ or not tellin’ the whole truth. And Ah can tell that you ain’t saying the whole truth.”

Amant gulped as her emerald eyes drilled into his. “I-I can’t tell you,” he stammered. It was almost like she was skinning him, pulling back layers upon layers, trying to see the very core of his being, “if I tell you, it will change the future.”

“Not tellin’ the whole truth.” The air seemed to drop a few degrees, her voice was so cold.

“Fine!” he said, “just stop looking at me!” Applejack blinked, breaking the grasp she had on him and he continued after taking a few breaths, “something big is coming.”

“Nuthin’ we can’t handle,” Applejack said, leaning against a tree trunk.

“You can’t handle this,” he replied, “it’s something larger than anything you’ve ever faced.”

“Larger than a Changeling invasion?” Applejack laughed. She didn’t catch his flinch at the mention of the invasion.

“Much larger,” he stated, “He will make the Empire look like an ant hill in comparison.”

“Who is he?”

A chill rushed through the row, ruffling their coats and sending shivers up Amant’s spine.

“Odium,” he said in a fearful whisper, “the Shardbreaker. He’s the one responsible for everything bad in this world. He’s the reason for Harmony being in as many pieces as it is.”

“But the Elements can’t be destroyed,” Applejack whispered, her eyes wide.

“He made them that way. They used to be one, now they are eight. It’s because he came to this world, but was defeated before he could complete his work.”

“How do you know this?”

“Studies, long and hard studies,” Amant replied, “I’ve been around for a long time, long enough to see patterns. I have seen the rise and fall of kingdoms, the growth and receding of nations. I am almost as immortal as the Princesses themselves.”

“How?” Applejack asked.

“I can’t tell you that,” he said and Applejack glared at him, “I can’t! It’s part of my mission. I can’t reveal who I am or everything I have worked for, everything I will work for will be for naught.”

Applejack glared at him, he could feel himself melting under her stare. Then she cleared her throat. “Ah guess this is somethin’ Twilight migh’ want ta know,” she said and Amant’s eyes grew wide and fearful.

“No!” he shouted, “you can’t tell anypony! The future is already off balance because I’ve told you, you can’t even tell your friends! Promise me you won’t tell anypony!”

“Now hold on there, stallion,” Applejack said, raising her hooves in a defensive gesture, “why even tell me?”

“Because you asked, and you’re Honesty. I can’t lie to you, even if I wanted,” Amant said, hanging his head.

Applejack thought about it, the wind blowing through the trees and tossing strands of her mane around, then she nodded. “If it’s important enough to tell me, but nopony else, Ah guess it’s good enough fer me. Ah promise Ah won’t breath a word to anypony. Ah won’t tell anypony, not until ya’ll tell ‘em.”

Amant nodded, relief showing on his face as he slumped to the ground. “Thank you,” he sighed.

Applejack gazed up at the row of trees, many of them still holding apples in their leafy grasp. “If ya’ll don’t mind,” she said, standing up, “Ah’ve got quite a bit o’ work ahead of me. Ready for more?”

Amant nodded, then lit his horn and grunted as he hefted the buckets around another tree. They worked in silence for a while then they took a short break and Applejack pulled several apples from the buckets while he took a seat underneath one of the empty trees. He turned to look at Applejack as she slumped down on the ground, her hat falling into her lap and sweat dripping off her nose.

“What do you think of the other Elements?” he asked and Applejack looked at him, surprised.

“Well, Rainbow and Ah have a competitive streak when we git together, but she’s a great pony. Rarity’s a bit dramatic, but good to have around when it comes ta talkin’ to the fancy folk.”

“No, what I mean is what do you think about the other aspects of Harmony? Loyalty, Kindness, Generosity, Laughter, and Friendship?” he said, stopping her before she went on.

Applejack sat back and thought for a bit. “Well now, that’s a question Ah ain’t been asked before,” she said, her voice faint while she thought. “Loyalty,” she said slowly, “is standin’ by mah friends, no matter what. Kindness is bein’ nice ta ponies, even if they ain’t nice ta you. Generosity is givin’ stuff away without havin’ ponies pay fer it. Laughter is keepin’ a smile on yer face, and helpin’ others smile. Friendship, now that’s a tricky one. Friendship is just bein’ there fer ponies.”

Amant nodded as he absorbed what she’d said, rolling it over in his mind. He popped another apple into his mouth and chewed thoughtfully. “And what of Tolerance?” he asked.

Applejack glanced at him. “Ain’t no Element of Harmony named that,” she said, “at least, none that Ah’ve heard. But Tolerance means dealing with other ponies and their attitudes all the time and not gettin’ angry.”

“And Love?”

“Now that righ’ there’s somethin’ Ah know about,” Applejack laughed, “Love is carin’ fer yer kin. Relatives and all, helpin’ them when they need it.”

Amant smiled, then hoisted himself back onto his hooves. He reached down and helped Applejack up, dusting off her coat. “Well, with that out of the way, what say you to me helping the rest of the day? You’ve given me a few things to think about, now I’d better help you out.”

Applejack nodded, sliding her hat back on her head and tugging it down slightly. “Ah reckon we’d better git a move on then, the sun ain’t gonna stop for nopony.”

---------

A few hours later, when the sun was setting behind the trees, Amant wandered home, a bag of fresh apples in his magical grasp and a smile on his face. That was one Element out of six that he needed to talk to, to find out their grasp on both their element as well as the others. Things were moving forward in a steady motion, he thought as he dropped the bag by his bed and flopped down into it, things were definitely moving forward. And with that thought, he fell asleep, dreams of achieving his mission playing through his sleep the entire night.

Author's Note:

Alright, it's been a long time, but I've got a few more chapters done.

As for this chapter, we see Amant talking with Applejack and we finally have a name for our enemy. But what is he? And how powerful is he really?