• Published 18th Jul 2015
  • 1,168 Views, 24 Comments

The Guard And His Sword - Himntor



The son of a Canterlot noble, forced into becoming a Royal Guard by his strict father, strives to live up to the family legacy. He finds himself, despite his powerful magic sword, only living up to a legacy of failure. He intends to change that.

  • ...
1
 24
 1,168

PreviousChapters Next
Expectations

The funny thing with expecting something is that if you can’t wait, it feels like it takes forever to happen, and if you really don’t want it to happen, it rushes up and punches you in the face. That was this morning. I slowly sat up in my bunk and looked around. The other guards were already up and putting on their armor.

Most guards had homes of their own, or families to stay with, but some chose to live in the bunkroom for whatever personal reasons. Mine was to keep away from my father, but now I had to go see him. Might as well get it over with.

I got out of my bunk with a sigh and began strapping on my armor. The others were bantering with each other about their accomplishments, whether on duty or in paperwork. It was one of the only things us guards usually had to talk about.

“Hey, Officer Shield, congrats on the promotion,” one of them said to me as I finished putting on my helmet. Swift Wishes was one of the few guards who’d taken the time to talk with me every now and then, being one of those strange white-coated, blue-mane-and-tailed earth pony clones. Really I think he was just part of a quintuplet birth, or something like that. I couldn’t recall how many of them I’ve seen at a single time. They could’ve been some magic experiment gone wrong for all I knew.

“Thanks,” I said. “I still don’t know if I deserve it, but I won’t complain. Except about the paperwork.”

Swift snorted. “Are you kidding? You blaze through paperwork faster than anypony I’ve ever seen. I’d say you’re lucky.”

“I may know how to write fast and organize, but that doesn’t mean I have to like it.”

“Fair enough. You off to your post?”

I sighed. “No, got an assignment to deal with this morning, and not one I’m looking forward to. Wish me luck.”

He gave a salute. “Good luck.”

I returned the salute and trotted out of the barracks, making my way to my parent’s home and passing Shining Armor on the way, who gave me a reassuring nod. Not that I was feeling very assured.

I zig-zagged down Canterlot’s busying streets, having to avoid waves of ponies going to work. I made it to the door of my home, and I anxiously raised my hoof to knock, when it opened with my father, Steadfast, standing in the doorway, staring at me in surprise.

“Hey, Dad,” I said nervously, turning the hoof I was almost about to hit him with into a wave. I put it down and cleared my throat. “How have you been?”

“Fine,” he grumbled. “I was just coming to see if today’s paper had come yet.”

I looked down at the ground and spotted the paper. I levitated it up to him and he took it into his own magic with a nod. “Thank you. We were about to have breakfast, do you care to join us?”

I nodded. “Sure. There’s something I’d like to talk to you about too.”

He grunted and stepped aside. “I’m sure. Come on in.”

I gave a weak smile and walked inside, making my way to the dining room and being greeted by my mom. We all sat down at the table and I took off my helmet. Breakfast was oats, milk and honey.

“So,” I began, taking a deep breath. “There’s been some things I need to talk to you about.”

Steadfast snorted and opened the morning paper. “I should expect so, I haven’t heard from you in ages. A little disappointing. How goes it in the Royal Guard? I suspect you are at least living up to their standards?”

Mom glared at him. “Steadfast, let him continue. He’s been very busy.”

I cleared my throat. I bet it was more than a little disappointing for him. “Thanks, Mom. Things have been good. I was promoted to Officer yesterday for my actions during Princess Celestia’s disappearance.”

Mom beamed at that. “Oh, congratulations! We had heard the Princess was attacked and couldn’t raise the sun, but we didn’t know she had disappeared. Terrible thing, but I’m glad everything’s okay now.”

I nervously scratched behind my ear. “Right, about that—her disappearance I mean—I was on guard for Celestia when it happened. Rather, I was supposed to be.”

Steadfast looked up from his paper. “What do you mean supposed to be?”

I sighed. “I was guarding the door to the dressing room in Ponyville’s Town Hall, where Princess Celestia was preparing for the Summer Sun Celebration. I got distracted for a minute and left it, and that’s when she was attacked. It was my fault that she was defeated and taken away, but I was determined to get her back.”

I continued to tell about my search for Nightmare Moon, my discovery of the Elements of Harmony, and tracking down Twilight through Ponyville and the Everfree Forest to find she did what I could not. My mother seemed to be listening intently, nodding in understanding at why I had done what I did, but my father remained stern and unreadable, seemingly more interested in finishing breakfast than my story. When I finished, he slowly stood up and walked to the door and opened it.

“I’m off to work,” he said, walking out and the door slamming behind him.

My mother and I stared at the door for a few moments in silence.

“I’m sorry about your father,” Mom said, “he’s just been in a bad mood lately.”

I shrugged. “I guess that’s my fault?”

She sighed. “Yes and no. There’s a lot that’s been weighing on him, especially work. Fancy Pants has been giving him a hard time. You haven’t been visiting much either, and it’s been bothering him. He’s wanted to hear from you for a while now, especially after hearing about your sword.”

My mouth hung open for a moment. I didn’t think my absence would bother him. “Oh… I didn’t know. I’ve just been too nervous to face him. I was afraid I would disappoint him, and I guess I have.” I sighed and put my helmet back on. “I suppose I should report back to the Captain now. He’s the one who ordered me to come here to speak with Dad in the first place.”

Mom frowned. “Don’t be so hard on yourself. I’m sure your father is proud of you, he just doesn’t know how to show it yet and needs some time to cool off. Please come back soon to see him again, I’m sure he’d be glad.”

I stood up and nodded. “I’ll try, but I can’t promise anything. Work and all.”

“I know.” She stood up and gave me a quick hug. “I hope I’ll see you soon though. Again, congratulations on the promotion.”

I smiled. “Thanks. See you.”

I left and began heading back for the barracks. The streets were even more crowded than before, and on the way I accidentally ran into somepony. An azure-coated unicorn mare, wearing a cape and a big magician’s hat.

“Who dares bump into the Great and Powerful Trixie!?” she roared, glaring angrily at me.

I took a step back. “Sorry, my mistake, I should’ve been paying attention. I’ll be on my way.”

I moved to walk around her, but she continued to block the path. “Trixie does not take kindly to being interrupted,” she said, stomping her hoof. “Don’t you know who you’re dealing with? Trixie is the most powerful unicorn in all of Equestria!”

Oh dear, it was one of these kind of unicorns. I rolled my eyes. “I’m sure she is, but if you’ll excuse me, I must get back to the barracks.”

“Is that a hint of doubt in your voice? The Great and Powerful Trixie is sure she can do anything a pathetic Royal Guard like you can do, and better!

You’ve got to be kidding me. I growled and stared her in the eye. “Yeah? Well I doubt you can do anything like this!” In one quick motion I magically brought out my sword, shaped it into a surfboard, and jumped on. The moment my hoof touched the surface I channeled a burst of magic into it, shooting straight upward, leaving the All Powerful Trixie in the dust. I spotted the barracks and dived towards it, quickly touching down and jumping off the sword with a tumble.

Some ponies just can’t take that slice of humble pie, can they?

“That was quite the entrance,” Shining Armor said, staring at me with a wry smile from the barracks entrance. “Something happen?”

I shook my head with annoyance. “Just some stuck up unicorn refusing to get out of my way. Forced me to fly over her, probably making her head spin.”

He chuckled. “I see. What of your assignment?”

“I spoke with my parents, told them everything that happened. My mom took it fine, but my dad… not so much, I think. I’m pretty sure he’s disappointed, but there’s nothing I can do about that. That’s all I’ve to report, Captain.”

He nodded with satisfaction. “Good. I need you back in the castle at Cadance’s door.”

I gave a salute. “Yes, Sir, I’ll get to it right away.”

I made my way to Cadance’s room and met with two pegasus guards who were standing there, apparently discussing archery practice. I listened for a moment before butting in.

“How in the world do you use a bow and arrow anyway?” I asked. “At least unicorns have magic to help them, but with hooves or wings… how do you do it?”

“Well it is a cartoon, Sir,” one of them said.

I blinked confusedly. “What?”

The guards looked between each other. “Uh, nevermind.”

I raised an eyebrow. “Right. I’m relieving you. Report back to the barracks.”

They saluted and said, “Yes, Sir!” before trotting off.

“I heard about your assignment,” Cadance said, her voice muffled by the door. It magically opened and she stepped out, smiling as ever. “How did it go?”

I smiled back and shrugged. “It was alright. Better than I expected, worse than I could’ve hoped.”

“I’m glad. Facing your fears is a hard thing to do, but I knew you had it in you.”

I snorted. “I guess. It was definitely the hardest part. I just feel like it’s easier avoiding my dad instead of confronting him.”

Cadance frowned. “That’s not a good way to live at all. He is your father, and your relationship with him is important. You should try to talk with him more.”

I sighed. Not really what I wanted to hear. “He’s not very easy to talk to. But I’ll try.”

“Good. I need your help with something real quick.” Cadance went back inside her room and pulled out two different dresses. “I’m going out with Shining Armor tonight and can’t decide between these. Which one do you think he’d like better?”

I blinked and felt my cheeks grow hotter. “Um… I’m not really familiar with—”

She rolled her eyes. “Just point to the one you think looks better.”

I looked between the dresses and pointed to the one on the right. “I think the white and purple one would look better on you. Plus, Shining Armor likes white and purple.”

She gave a satisfied nod and put away the dresses. “That’s what I thought. Thanks!”

“Sure thing. Anway, I’ll just get to my post now.”

The days began passing by quickly, with little excitement to speak of besides the occasional blink from a Royal Guard at his post. I hadn’t gotten another visit to my parents in yet, and I kept putting it off with whatever excuse I could come up with. One afternoon, though, I received a letter from the castle. Inside was an invitation and ticket to the Grand Galloping Gala, a gift on behalf of my promotion and actions in the Royal Guard. I’d never been to the Gala before. My father had been there a few times and only had good things to say about it, but he was far more social with the upper class than I was.

The Gala wasn’t for some time though, so I put the ticket and invitation away in my locker for now. I supposed I’d have to get a suit when the time came, which shouldn’t be too difficult. My stash of bits was growing a bit large, not having much to spend it on besides food. Maybe it was almost time to get a home of my own.

Days turned into weeks. I was stuck guarding walls or doors while I heard about things like a dragon sleeping in some mountain in Equestria that needed to be removed, or a strange infestation in Ponyville and Fillydelphia, or another hydra spotted in a bog near Ponyville, or a battle between ponies and buffalo in Appleloosa. Even searching for Princess Celestia’s pet bird that one day would’ve been more interesting. But no, apparently at the end of all those ropes, Twilight and her friends were taking care of everything. Maybe we should’ve recruited them.

Eventually Shining Armor noticed how much I had been putting off on a visit to my parents and ordered me to visit, again. I reluctantly headed for their house, and strangely there was a chariot filled with boxes standing outside of it. And I certainly wasn’t expecting Cadance to answer the door, carrying a load of boxes with her magic.

“Cadance, what are you doing here?” I asked confusedly.

My mother pushed her out of the doorway before she could speak, also carrying a few more boxes in her magic. “She’s helping us with moving, of course!” she said, moving to the chariot and setting the boxes down neatly. Cadance followed.

My eyes shot wide open and I gaped, hardly able to speak. “M-Moving? What do you mean moving?”

“Well you see, Fancy Pants bumped up Steadfast’s position and he needs him over in the city of Manehattan. We have to be out of here by tomorrow morning. Dear Cadance here saw me packing up and generously offered to lend a hoof.”

“It’s nothing, really, I’m glad to help,” Cadance said. “I’m really sorry to see you leaving Canterlot.”

Mom gave a long sigh and looked around the street and to the many towers of Canterlot. “Yes, I am rather sad to be leaving myself. I will dearly miss this place and all the friends I made at the hospital, but I’m excited to meet new faces at the one in Manehattan.”

I shook my head, still trying to process everything. “What about me? You’re just going to leave me here in Canterlot?” I didn’t exactly want to be left alone in a city without a fast way to reach my family.

Mom walked up to me and put a sympathetic hoof on my neck. “I’m sorry, sweetie. I wish I didn’t have to leave, but we don’t have much of a choice. And you still have your duties in the Royal Guard, don’t you?”

I reluctantly nodded. “Yeah… I guess I’ll be fine. Just be safe, okay?”

Her eyes widened. “Us be safe? We’re more worried about you! It’s already hard enough for us to leave you by yourself, especially if you keep running into more villains like you have recently.”

I blinked. “Mom, that was over a month ago.”

She sighed. “I know. I’m just concerned about you. Hearing about that dragon, or the recent conflict in Appleloosa, I’m worried you might get sent to deal with something like that and it being too much for you to handle.”

“Mom, I’ll be fine. I’m better at taking care of myself than you think.”

“I know, I know. It’ll just be hard to get used to the idea that you’ll be out here on your own. Well, your cousin Stone is still in the Royal Guard, isn’t he?”

“Stonehenge? No, he was discharged months ago. I think he’s somewhere in Fillydelphia now.” It was surprising that she mentioned him. Truthfully, I had no idea where he was or why he had been let go, or rather, kicked out. Rumor within the 'Guard said something about illegal substances, but that didn't sound like him.

“Oh. That’s sad to hear. Well, was there anything you came by for? I’ve got some of your old books packed up if you’d like to have them.”

“That’s okay, you can keep them. I did want to talk to Dad though, is he around?”

Mom frowned and glanced back to the house. “No, I’m afraid he’s already in Manehattan talking with your Uncle Stock for a place to stay while we get settled. Is there anything specific you wanted to tell him?”

I sighed. “Not really, I just wanted to talk. I did get an invitation to the Grand Galloping Gala though.”

Her eyes brightened at that. “Oh really? That sounds like fun. Will you be taking anypony?”

I shrugged. “Don’t know, probably not. I don’t exactly have a wide social circle.”

“I could always find somepony for you to take,” Cadance said with a smile.

I glanced at Cadance nervously. “Uhh, thanks, but no thanks. Anyway, I wish I could help with your move, but I gotta get back to my duties. I’ll see you later Cadance. Hope you have a safe trip, Mom.”

Mom gave me a hug. “Thanks. You stay safe now, too.”

“I will, I will.”

PreviousChapters Next