• Published 6th Oct 2015
  • 772 Views, 23 Comments

Being Different Isn't So Bad - Dr Equinox



I am having some trouble adapting to this weird world. It's nothing like my old one. I' kind of glad though, since back there it was full of horrible monsters. I'm no so sure this world is much different. Might as well get used to it.

  • ...
2
 23
 772

Chapter 3: Revamp

Another chapter, continuing my revision of the story. Here you go.


It was cold.

That much was easy to remember. Then the came the ground, the sky, the trees, the ... the people. It took a second but it was all there. Every fucking detail.

It was our last day on planet Earth. Our special guest had somehow communicated with her people, through a dream or a vision, I don't know. Whatever it was, it proved to be more than enough of a clue to tell her where to go. By this time, having spent months in isolation with her and the crew, I had already hit it off with Fluttershy. She saw past my stiff demeanor and into my heart and I saw through her meek nature to find the courage she never believed she had. She helped fix me.

'That's why you're so important to me darlin'. You fixed me.

Not every member of our party agreed to just trot down the mountain and into the town. No, the danger was clear and the odds of survival were low. Even I understood that, being the love-struck idiot I was. However, she insisted that we go as that was the only time it could happen. We would never be able to send her back if we didn't leave then. Unfortunately, that didn't matter to some.

We fought over it. We argued, yelled, and even punched each other over it. After the action was over, a line was drawn. A decision was made. Who would stay and who would go. My side was obvious. In a moments passing, so were others. It came down to one who would stay, the rest following me down the mountain. He couldn't believe his eyes when he saw us leave. I suppose he realized that the less of us down there the higher chance we would be killed, because some time after, he joined us. So at last we were together.

It didn't last long.

'I could have done something...'

It came out of nowhere.

'Reacted faster...'

It was massive. Easily bigger than a bear, but deformed and grotesque.

'I should have recovered faster, should have snapped out of it...'

A...

"Monster."

It charged at us and then-


"GAH!"

I gasped, sitting straight up. I held my hands on my head, my ears ringing. I closed my eyes tight, but it wouldn't go away. I shook my head like a madman but it did nothing. Fed up, I threw the blankets covering me into the air, slamming my feet down and standing up unsteadily. I made my way to a wall, grasping it like it was my only hope of surviving. Maybe it was.

I followed along the wall to the nearest door, the ringing still haunting my ears. I didn't bother to even turn the doorknob, instead slamming my whole body against it, stumbling through the entrance. I put my hands onto the first this I could find, which was a sink. Forcing my eyes open I turned on the faucet, splashing my face with water. When my eyes cleared I looked towards my hands...

Blood.

I could feel my breathing increasing, my muscles spazzing. The world around me was erased, replaced by nothingness. The only thing I could see was the blood on my hands.

'Fine, if you want to get yourselves killed, be my guest!'

no...

'For christs sake, it's only water!'

No...

'He was only a kid!'

NO

My eyes opened. No blood. I looked up.

Only tears.

My morning fucking sucked.


"Ah, Jorge! I'm glad you could join us."

Any other time, I would have been glad to hear her say that. I would have been glad to arrive at a big ass table for breakfast, being served on hand and foot. Hell, any other time I would have plopped by ass down and asked 'what's cookin' shuga' tits?'. However, this was not one of those times. So instead, I sat my self down and responded with a simple;

"Eh."

I probably didn't look to happy. This was, of course, tied into my little nightmare I had, which turned out to wake me up at practically four in the fucking morning! Anyway, after my tantrum I stayed up until about now, feeling generally unrested and irritable. I feel bad for the folks who would eventually come to the room and find all the broken shit. Remember the wall I was clinging on to? Yeah, that shit's gonna get replaced. Along with some of the flooring and the counter for the sink.

Damm. I'm gonna have to apologize to them for that. Eh, I'll do it later.

As I sat down I noticed Luna was here as well, on the other side of the table with her sister. The thing is, they were literally all the way on the other side of the, I dunno', like fifteen foot table? As I processed how to deal with this, Celestia tried to strike up conversation.

"So, Jorge, did you have a-"

I help up my finger, issuing my supreme reign over conversation. I also made her stop talking.

As she was about to begin again, I stoop up. Then, grabbing it with one hand, I hefted the chair I sat upon up and walked all the way to their side, until I was right next to them. Then, as ceremoniously as I could, I dropped the chair and sat down.

"Mornin'."

*CRUNCH*

"Did you just eating a whole fucking pineapple?"

"Yes."

"Ok."

A moment of silence began. In front of me sat... nothing. To my left was a large basket of fruit. So, doing my very best not to get out of the chair, I reached and dragged it over, grabbing the first fuit I saw, which was a banana. I unpeeled it and ate silently, staring off into the distance. I didn't hear someone calling my name until a few seconds later.

"Huh?" I mumbled, turning to view the concerned faces of the Princess's. Well, one of them. The other looked just how I felt, which was like shit.

"I was asking if you were all right?" Asked Celestia, holding a piece of a pancake in her magical aura.

"No." I replied bluntly.

"Whatever is the matter?"

"Nothin' ya need to be concerned about."

"Nightmare?" Asked Luna, glancing briefly at me before levitating over more pineapples.

Why the fuck does she keep eating pineapples? Can horses even eat pineapples?

"Mmn." I grunted.

"Hmm." She hummed back. Celestia looked back between us and sighed.

"Not one for the mornings?"

"No."

We continued to eat in awkward silence, until a loud bang had startled us. Slowly turning my gaze towards the door, where I could hear slowly increasing voices. Turning back, I raised a brow in question, but before I could ask anything the doors on the other side of the room burst open, the voices from before now annoyingly close and loud. Grimacing, I took one look at the newcomers before rolling my eyes and reaching for another apple.

Oh good. Stuck up jackasses. Great way to start the day.

"I'm off to take care of my duties sister." Spoke Luna, glancing briefly at me before leaving the room.

"Very well. The best of luck to you sister."

"To you as well."

Then we were alone, the group of ponies that slammed open the door earlier still standing by it and arguing over something. Honestly, they hadn't even moved from their spot. It seemed to be one noble looking pony in particular that was arguing with everyone else. Grimacing at the volume of their conversation, I squinted at them, trying to figure out how to handle the situation.

Maturity is a boon... but I'm gettin' a headache.

"Hey Celestia?" I asked, not turning around to face her.

"Yes, Jorge?" She responded, a forced smile probably on her face.

"What's that guy in the middle's name?"

"That would Prince Blueblood, my nephew."

"Nephew?"

"Not blood related."

"Hmm. K." I responded, standing up and stretching my arms.

"Jorge, please-" Celestia pleaded, though she didn't sound very into it.

"I'm not gonna hurt him." I told her as I stride towards the group, having been unnoticed until I was close enough.

"... and what happened in the guest room? Did we house a dragon or something? Why do you have such ridiculous looks upon your faces?" Spoke 'Blueblood', an air of arrogance and superiority emanating off of him.

"You housed a human." I said, standing behind him with my arms crossed. The others around him, resembling maids and butlers of sorts, had noticed me earlier and widened their eyes at my appearance.

"A what?" Asked Blueblood incredulously, words dying in his throat upon noticing me behind him.

I narrowed my eyes, sizing up this pony before me. A practically sparkling white coat and blond mane, wearing a suit for some reason, and having a both a disgusted and terrified look upon his face led to one conclusion about this guy; he was either gonna be a pain in my ass, or too much of a pansy too bother me. I sincerely hoped it was the former.

Hell, I could use the outlet.

"W-Well" He sputtered, recovering from his brief absence of thought. "If that was you, then I hope you have quite the explanation! Broken floor tiles, cracks in the wall, not to mention the sink! How do you plan to answer for these- these damages?!"

Taking a deep breath, I responded.

"Imma tell you two things." I said, looking him dead in the eye." One; I got a headache that feels like a million a' you fucks are runnin' around and beating the fuck outta my brain with your whining voices. Two; Y'all are either gonna leave or shut the fuck up, 'cause I am not in the mood right now." I finished, rubbing my forehead with a grimace.

"Wha- How dare you?!" He said, stomping his hooves.

"Ah-ah, no." I said, grabbing his mouth with one hand and wagging a finger with the other. "No talkin'. Cause you loud. Real loud."

"Mmmnnhhmmmhm!" Blueblood mumbled, his hooves flailing around in exasperation.

"Ok. You're not gettin' the message." I said, releasing his mouth. He shook his head before returning his glare at me.

"Do you have any idea who I am? What I can do? Because I can make your life-"

"A living hell? I've already done it. Besides, you can't do jack shit. Especially since your aunt is right over there." I gestured towards the still seated Celestia, who was now reading a newspaper. She noticed her name being called and lazily raised her eyes, a piece of cake levitating in her grasp. It seemed she accepted the situation.

"Good Morning Blueblood." She called out, flashing him a small smile.

"Aunty! Thank goodness you're here! Could you please-" He said, but was interrupted by a raised hoof and a sigh from Celestia.

"My dear nephew, as much as I would love to hear about the status of the guest rooms, I have too many plans today for this morning to be wasted. If you could, please, give Jorge and I the rest of this breakfast alone." She said, giving a him a look indicating that it wasn't an offer.

"Well- I-...Very well aunty. If you would excuse me." He said, patting down his little suit and raising his head into the air, leaving along with his entourage , giving me one last glare before going through the double doors. Once he was gone I heard yet another sigh.

"Jorge-"

"Yeah, yeah, I know. He's not that bad once you get to know him, right?" I asked sarcastically, returning to my seat next to Celestia.

"Unfortunately, he's that bad all the time. That much can't be changed." She said, continuing to read the newspaper. "I meant to speak on your methods on dealing with him."

"You want me to be less intense?"

"Less physical, please. Ponies don't take well to being handled aggressively in such a way, especially Blueblood."

"Ahkay. Say, any chance you got someplace I can walk around? Someplace quiet?"

"Hmm. Perhaps you can traverse the gardens. Just... don't touch the statues." She warned, eyes narrowing.

"O-kay?" I responded, my eyebrow raised.

"Okay! Have one of the guards by the door escort you there. " She said, smiling.

"Alrighty then."

"Oh, and be sure to return within the hour! We have much to discuss."

"Yeah, whatever."

I left the room, telling the nearest guard of my desire. He nodded and gestured for me to follow him, which I did. As we traveled through the castle, a comfortable silence between us. I got to see the architecture of the ponies, which seemed familiar to either Greek or Roman times. Nice and smooth, with emphasis on gold and white, sometimes with more vibrant colors. Overall, not terrible to look at, but I bet it could get very boring fast.

As I let my eyes roam over the hall they landed on the guard escorting me. He had a white coat, with a mostly covered golden mane and tail. The golden armor he was wearing seemed very thin and utterly useless, but hey, this is magic pony land. His demeanor was impressively stoic, or perhaps maybe he wasn't a morning person either? Who knows?

Oh Jiminy Christmas, I just noticed he's wearing little golden horseshoes.

"Say, fella..." I spoke, catching the guards attention. "What's your name?"

"My name is Lightning Targe, sir." He replied, his head turned at an angle towards me.

"Lightning Targe? Wow. That's one hell of a name you got there buddy."

"Thank you, sir."

...

"So!" I started, causing him to jump the tiniest amount. "Since, you know, you work here and everything, I feel its fair to assume you know the layout pretty well?"

"Yes sir. Like the back of my hoof."

"Oh yeah? You've been working here long then?"

"I'm nearing on two years now, sir."

"Wow, Impressive ... shit, I didn't mean to sound sarcastic about that." I corrected myself, giving him a case of the chuckles.

"It's quite alright sir."

After my horrendous attempt at small talk turned into something decent we walked in silence. A comfortable silence, thankfully. Normally, I wouldn't give a rats ass about social activity or related, but this was one of the few new people I had met and I was trying my best to be nice and conversative again. Conversative. Hmm.

I don't think that's a word.

Once we reached the garden, which was rather impressive in itself, I stopped at the entrance, my escort following my action. I breathed in the cool air and noticed the scent of various flowers tickling my nose, some recognizable. My eyes scanned the foreyard and noticed many familiar plants, many of which I hadn't seen in months, years even. I clenched my fist gently, closing my eyes as memories shot past my thoughts.

"Hey, Targe." I asked, not opening my eyes.

"Yes sir?" I heard him respond.

"Could I be alone for a bit?"

"Unfortunately sir, I do have to keep watch over you. I can watch you at a distance however."

Opening my eyes and sighing, I said "Fine. I'll be going to that bench over there. Do me a favor and don't disturb me."

"Absolutely, sir."

I slowly walked over to a wooden bench near the center of the garden, my movements feeling sluggish. Sitting down, I could hear the creaking of the wood as my weight pressed against it. Once I was seated I stared at the ground, my eyes unfocused. More and more memories kept popping up, leading me to close my eyes and put my head in my hands.

"Fuck." I spoke softly, venting to myself. "What am I gonna do guys? I miss you. Fuck, I really miss you. It feels like every second I'm here there's something weird going on, or there's just this feeling I get... I can't help it. I want you back. I need you back."

As I spoke I found it harder and harder to restrain myself from crying. Now that I had time alone, everything flooded in. All the pain, all the loss, all just because of one girl. For a very brief moment, a flicker of anger sparked in me, but I quickly dismissed it. None of this was her fault. None of it was anyone's fault. This was a truth I knew all along, and still know now, but there was something else...

I know it's true... It's no one's fault shit happened the way it did, but if that's the case...

"Then why does it feel like all this shit happened because of me?"

I couldn't tell you how long I sat there, or how many tears escaped my clenched eyes. All I can recall is feeling a light tapping on my shoulder, causing my head to snap up at my attacker... only to find out it was Lightning Targe. He seemed concerned about something, and I could see his lips moving but there was no sound. Wiping my wet eyes I blinked away any residual water and shook my head.

"Huh?" I croaked out, my voice scratchy.

"I asked if you were all right, sir?" Asked Lightning, leading my me to notice that only now, with my sitting down and hunching over, were we at equal height.

"I'm fine." I said, sniffing as I stood to my full height, taking a deep breath and releasing a shuddering sigh.

"If you'd like to spend some more time, I'm sure I could-"

"I'm fine, Targe. End of story." I said coldly, giving him a glare.

"... very well sir. We should head back to Princess Celestia soon, as our hour is almost up." He replied, allowing only a brief absence of though interrupt his duties.

"Let's do that."

We walked back along our way, a noticeable silence between us. I never was good when dealing with my emotions, often going into corners and brooding when I was younger. I had, at some point in my life, decided to transfer that anger into exercise and had actually gotten in good shape. The only problem was that the emotions were always there. There was always some easy way to piss me off, some thing that could light the match and start a whole forest fire of pure anger. My maturing helped me learn to control it, but I knew from the days I discovered my pit of hatred that I would never escape it.

As my thoughts drifted away from the past and into the present, I discovered that we were nearly there, the large double doors of the dining room becoming more recognizable. As we neared the room I began to recount my actions towards my escort. I debated within myself whether or not I should apologize, which when concerning my stubborn nature, was a difficult battle. Ultimately, however, I remembered that burning bridges early helps no one.

"Hey, Targe..." I started rubbing my neck awkwardly.

"Yes, sir?" He responded, slowing his trot while turning his head to look at me.

"I, uh... I need to apologize for back there. I didn't meant to act like that. It was unnecessary and I'm sorry."

"Though there's no need to apologize sir, I appreciate it and accept it." He said, facing forward again.

"Thanks. Do me favor and don't tell anyone about that scene you caught me in, alright?" I asked.

"I swear on my life, sir." He said, raising a foreleg to his chest.

"I'm being serious." I warned, narrowing my eyes.

"So am I." He replied, in full confidence.

A small smile came to my face, disappearing as we met the guards at the entrance of the dining hall. We stood there for a moment, turning to face each other. I offered my hand to the stallion, whom graciously accepted it.

"It was nice meeting you, Lightning Targe." I said, shaking arm with leg.

"As it was meeting you, Jorge." He replied, giving me a smile.

"Huh.. I don't recall telling you my name." I said, raising a brow.

"Oh, I overheard your conversation with the Princess."

"Oh. Alrighty then. See you later."

"Until then."

After our conversation was finished I headed inside, where Celestia was patiently waiting with a folded newspaper. She broke out a smile upon seeing me and stood out of her chair, her full height much more impressive than any other pony.

"Ah, Jorge, your back! Excellent. If you're ready, we should be heading to my room to discuss our many, many topics." She said, her smile brokering a similar one across my face, though it was subdued.

"Sure, let's get going."

"Then we shall be on our way!"

We headed off into the hallway, her leading the way. She seemed very happy today, a kick to her every step. It was kind of weird, to be honest.

"Well aren't you a perky piper today?"

"Me? Why, I don't know what the cause is, but this morning feels particularly special! It's as if nothing can go wrong!" She declared, a cheery smile on her face. She seemed to be spreading her happiness to others, as I noticed guards and maids alike gaining similar perky attitudes as she walked by.

"Well now you're just asking for a disaster."

"Jorge! Don't be so grim, my friend! The day had only just begun!" She said, lightly smacking me with her wing.

"Alright, now you're starting to freak me out. I'm gonna need you to stop."

"Stop being happy? What a silly notion Jorge!"

"Celestia." I said sternly, grabbing her shoulder.

As my hand grasped her shoulder she stumbled. Thanks to quick reflex's, I managed to catch her In a hug, holding her front in my eyes. She looked dazed and confused, her eyes blinking rapidly as she tried to focus her thoughts.

"J... J-Jorge? W-What..."

"Are you alright Celestia?" I asked, noticing a few guards rapidly making their way towards us.

"Y-Yes, I'm fine. Could you help me stand please?"

"Princess, are you alright?!" One of the many guards that now surrounded us asked.

"Yes, yes, I'm fine, thank you. I suppose I may have gotten a little carried away there." She said, attempting a smile.

"Are you sure Celestia?" I asked her directly, noticing a few guards making faces at me.

"I'm certain. I think I may need a bit more rest than I thought." She replied, standing fully on her own and smiling down at her subjects.

"We can escort you to your room your highness." One of the guards offered, earning many agreeing mumbles.

"No, that wont be necessary. I'm sure I can handle it on my own."

"Very well Princess." One guard said, leading to them dispersing.

"Wow. You've got them nibbling at your feet don't ya?" I asked with eyebrows raised in disbelief.

"Jorge!" She quickly replied, fixing me with a glare. "I understand your stances our system may be negative, but I will not stand for talk of my ponies like that in my presence! Do I make myself clear?"

We stared at each other, both eyes narrowed and glaring. I stood with my arms cross as she stood to her full height, with neither of us giving the other a chance to look away. We stayed like that for a good moment, a scowl beginning to form on my face.

"Oh, I think were plenty clear right now." I said, my scowl coming in full force.

Instead of responding, she took in a deep breath and released it, closing her eyes as she did so. When she opened them again she match my angered face with a neutral one.

"Jorge." She started, speaking clearly and precisely. "I understand that we are having a disagreement, and I wish to correct it. I would like the both of us to apologize to the other so we can continue on our day."

"Humph. " I grunted in response.

"I will go first then. Jorge, I would like to apologize for my anger towards you. It was not the appropriate response to your remarks and I am sorry It happened. However, the point of my anger Is not negotiable. While I realize that you will not stand for being treated as anything other than an equal, you must understand that I rule over these citizens everyday, and I watch their lives intently. They are like my children, and I will not stand by as one criticizes or demeans them. No matter the individual." She finished her little speech with a steely stare into my eyes. Not a glare, but a stare. Just to let me know she's serious.

"I'm glad you realize where I stand." I responded, watching her gaze at me with a nearly unreadable face.

"Jorge, please. All I ask is a simple apology." She pleaded, giving a small break in her stony façade.

"All right, fine. Whatever. I'm sorry, okay?" I asked, sarcastically, nearly snorting at the end of it.

She approached me slowly, her stone-faced fixture turning to concern.

"Jorge, is everything alright?"

"... you amaze me Celestia. With how fast you just changed. It was almost instantaneous."

"You're not answering my question Jorge."

"Of course I'm not fucking alright!" I shouted at her, causing her to jump.

"Alright then. Let's take this inside shall we?" She said, gesturing to the entrance of her room, the large door having a massive sun on it.

I didn't even notice we arrived

Agreeing begrudgingly, I followed her into the room. The room itself was huge, with dozens of different type of furnishing littering the room. Celestia trotted all the way to a large circular bed, where upon she climbed up and laid down, gesturing for me to do the same with a chair nearby. Rollin my eyes I went and sat in the chair, noticing it was actually quite comfortable.

"So, Jorge..." Celestia started, magically summoning dozens of papers and a couple of pens and pencils.

"Let's talk."

Author's Note:

Hope you guys like this revamped chapter. Any problems, concerns, or questions, feel free to ask them.





K bye