• Published 6th Oct 2015
  • 771 Views, 23 Comments

Being Different Isn't So Bad - Dr Equinox



I am having some trouble adapting to this weird world. It's nothing like my old one. I' kind of glad though, since back there it was full of horrible monsters. I'm no so sure this world is much different. Might as well get used to it.

  • ...
2
 23
 771

Chapter One: Revamp.

Hello Internet, this is Dr.Equinox. This is going to be a little 'revamp' ,I guess you could say, of the original chapters. I'm doing this because I feel I have strayed WAY too far from my original goal. I had this whole thing planned out, it was gonna be amazing! Then, as I went through chapter after chapter, I didn't get any of that feeling. So, I'm redoing it. Hopefully this time I can get it right.

Copyright claims go to Hasbro and whoever else might have ownership of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. I own Jorge T. Milus, as well as any other Original Characters I come up with. There you go. Now, let's get started.


You know, now that I look back on it, I am completely bamboozled that we survived.

We were on a world that was literally out to get us. We lived on a mountain on the border of Alaska somewhere, I think, In a nice little cabin. Well, not little, that thing was huge, but whatever. There was a whole Damm sheet of snow anywhere you looked, which made it hard to hunt and gather supplies, which were already limited thanks to the harsh environment, but you know what? We survived. My friends and I survived atop a snow covered mountain in a cabin, where, everyday, two people would go out and hunt.

We did that same routine for about two years, until something extraordinary happened.

Someone knocked on our door.

Now, when you live in a world where there are hardly any people left, especially when you live on a fucking mountain, something so mundane as knocking stops being normal. So, we approached the door, each of us with our own weapons, and swung open the door. That wasn't too hard since it was particularly windy today. It was expected.

What wasn't expected was a naked woman fainting on our floor.

We later came to learn that her name was "Fluttershy". A little strange, I admit but hey, she was a nice lady and honestly, we were just happy to know that we weren't the last people on Earth. She did keep mentioning a place called "Equestria" and how she needed to get back to there. So, I promised I'd help her, not thinking for a second about the consequences of my actions.

Skip to about three months later and I find myself standing between my dear friend and a monster, staring down the massive abomination. It wasn't natural. Even nature wasn't that cruel. We were down in an abandoned town, just me and her, as along the way everyone else had died. Behind me was a glowing circle as bright as the sun, rippling with energy beyond comprehension. That was our goal.

We were so close. So close to getting away from this dammed planet, but this thing had stopped us. We maneuvered around it, somehow, and as she ran behind me, I was frozen. I gazed into the eyes of the beast and I saw everything. The pain that was its existence, the unyielding hunger, the furious visor it saw life through.

This thing did not want to be alive, but it was.

"Jorge, run!"

I could faintly hear a call for my name, the sound snapping me out of my trance. I did a 180 and booked it, the backpack I had looted years ago feeling like it weighed thousands of pounds as I ran. By the time I had even approached the... thing, the girl I had fought long and hard for was already through. All I needed to do now was...

Jump.

And I did. I jumped straight into that Damm thing with such force I surprised myself. I had to close my eyes as It was insanely bright. Passing through the thing felt strange, like when you get a shiver up your spine in the middle of the day and don't know why it happened.

It was warmer here. There were sounds, like yelling, joining the ringing in my ears. I could hardly make out the different voices. There was one I knew, but it was lost in the sea of noise. Then, I felt the bright light fade away from my eyelids. I think that's when the 'portal' or whatever it was closed.

And then I finally hit the floor and promptly passed out.


I awoke before my eyes opened. Honestly, I don't know how long I stayed there, listening to the various beeps around me. It may was well have been hours before I attempted to open my eyes. After mentally exchanging a few words with the brightest sun alive, my vision cleared enough for me to make out my surroundings.

All around me was white.

White walls, white ceiling, white floor. Even the damn bed was white. So much white. I get the fact that I'm probably in hospital, but geez. As I continued to look around, noticing the machines connected to me, I began to get feeling back in my body. Boy, did that feel great or what?

"Where the hell am I?" I attempted to say, only to immediately cough. My voice was scratchy and my throat was very dry.

As my hands went to massage my throat I sat up and stretched my arms out, feelings dozens of satisfying pops. After checking to see if anything was inside me, and finding out there was none, I did something stupid and disconnected the various wires and the like attached to me. I could care less about the alarms sounding as I did so. I just needed to get out of there. I needed to know what happened.

As I tore away the prying machinery from my body I noticed some movement just on the edge of my peripherals. I froze, only slightly turning my head to see what exactly this mystery movement was. As my eyes moved in practically slow motion I could make out details.

It was very yellow, that much was obvious.

Wait... yellow? Yellow? Yellow!

I tried to voice my excitement, but all that came out was some real nasty coughs. Regardless, it caught her attention.

"Huh..." She lifted her head up, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes... with hooves. Hooves?

"Hooves..." My voice was barely a whisper, but she heard it and turned towards the source. Her eyes widened upon seeing my figure.

"Jorge! Your awake!" She leapt into my arms immediately, though I hardly registered it.

Why are you so different? I mean, I knew you talked about it all the time but... I don't think I ever wanted it to be real.

She noticed my stillness and lack of response. When she raised her head to gaze into mine, she did not find the warmth and affection I suspect she wanted. I looked at her with confusion and awe. I honestly didn't know how to react. I mean, what was I looking at? I was used to her being human. A little short, but still human.

But here she was, an even shorter yellow horse-thing with pink hair. She had pink hair before, but I just assumed she dyed it or something. No hands, just hooves, oh and also, fucking wings! Did I mention that? I don't think I did. Yeah, she has two wings jutting out of her back, and she doesn't seem the least bit concerned.

"Jorge? Are you ok?" Her voice snapped me out of my trance.

"I'm, uh, I'm fine. Things are just a bit different right now. Its hard to focus." She brought her head down, still hugging me tightly.

"Is this going to be fine? Everything being as different as it is?"

Was it? Everything being so different... its strange. Kind of humbling in a way. Now its not just humans anymore is it? I mean, the living proof is right in front of me. Is this going to be ok?

"You know... I'm not the kind of guy to skirt around things. I'm very straight forward. So, I have to tell you, I don't know. I don't know if everything is going to be fine. That'd be extremely optimistic of me to say and I lean towards being a pessimist."

"Oh..."

"But you know what?" I lifted her head to face mine, staring into those beautiful blue eyes of hers. "Why not give it a try? I mean, I'm not dead, so I must be here for a reason. Besides following you that is."

"Ok. "

"Ok."

Then we just sat there, enjoying the others company for whoever knows how long. It was nice. To be able to pretend for a moment that everything was the same. That I was back on Earth. That she was human again. Alas, it was not meant to last.

"Hey, where are we? I know we're in a hospital but like, in what town?"

"Oh, we're in Canterlot right now. It's the center of Equestria. That's the country by the way."

"Yeah, I thought that sounded familiar. Say, how long was I out for?" She became forlorn at my question.

"Three days. I didn't know if you were ever going to wake up. I was so worried, I just couldn't bear to leave your side, even for a minute!" I quelled her fears by initiating another hug.

"Well I'm fine now. Say, is there anything I should know?" She tilted her head at my question.

"Like what?"

"Like, is there some big political thing going on right now, or if I might do something really offensive? Stuff like that."

"Oh, well, the princesses wanted to speak to you as soon as possible. Actually, I should inform a doctor that your awake."

"You know, you probably should do that, but there's also the option of staying here and letting someone fine us?"

"Jorge, I'm going to get a doctor. Please, stay here while I do that."

*Sigh*

"Ok, fine. I'll stay here." She surprised me by giving me a peck on the cheek, causing me to blush.

"Thank you." Then, she left.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever." I grumbled, though with a smile on my face.

Minutes passed by as I took in my surroundings. Overall, pretty bland hospital. White everything, standard machinery, though surprisingly no heart monitor. Weird. I would have definitely had a heart monitor on an unconscious alien. Maybe they took it off? Holy shit, have I gotten so bored as to talk about heart monitors and the possibilities of them? Jeez.

By the time I heard the doors reopen thirty minutes must have passed by. Or perhaps ten. Time gets really slow when you have nothing to do. Regardless, they opened and I heard voices. Only one I recognized. There was at least ten.

Oh boy, get ready Jorge. Here comes the cavalry.

I straightened by back, crossed my arms and legs (which were still sore), and gathered a cautious and stern face. I never was good with crowds and one of the easiest ways to get someone to back off is to show them just how uncomfortable you are. As one large mass of bodies entered my field of view, I started to analyze them.

Five were 'normal' sized. I assumed they were friends of Fluttershy's because she certainly felt comfortable around them. They practically had a rainbow theme going- oh wait, one of them had an actual rainbow for hair. Never mind then. Said rainbow character had wings like Flutters. Two others, purple and white, had horns of all things, and the last two, pink and orange, had nothing, thankfully. Then I noticed the two elephants in the room.

Wow. Actual horses. No way around it, theses guys were seriously horses. If not, then they share a very remarkable resemblance to them. One was pure white, had a horn and wings, along with rainbow hair. Ok. The other was almost-black-but-not-there-yet blue. She also had a horn and wings.

Now that I look at it, they all have tattoos on their rears as well. Oh please don't tell me this is a cult type of thing. I will seriously be miffed.

The first to speak was my dearest.

"Jorge, these are my friends: Rainbow dash (wonder which one that is), Pinkie Pie (pink one), Twilight (purple), Rarity (white), and Applejack (orange). And these are Princess Celestia (pure white) and Princess Luna (the blue one)."

"Yo." I gave them a small wave while still looking for... something. It's been a while since I've seen so many friendly faces. I think my mind might be playing tricks on me.

"Well, now that everyone has been introduced, I'd like to start discussions." Said one of the princesses. Celestia I believe.

"About what exactly?"

"Your intentions, for one." This time it was Princess Luna.

"Luna!"

"Say what you will sister, this being, a human, is completely unknown to us. Personally, I cannot rely on a single account of his actions to properly judge him for who he is. Not to mention his apparent immunity to magic."

"Luna, I understand your caution but there is a proper way to handle things like this."

"Does that include talking to said 'thing'?" They both turned towards me to find an unamused frown upon my face.

"Look, I understand why you may not trust me. After all, as you so eloquently said earlier, the only reassurance that I'm not some horrible beast waiting to eat you all or something is the words of a single individual. However, let me assure you personally that I am not here for any nefarious dealing or stuff like that. You don't have to like that I exist, hell you don't even have to trust me, but the least you could do is give me the benefit of the doubt."

...

...

*sigh*

"Okay, since it's obvious we're all uncomfortable here, why not start over? Hi, I'm Jorge. It's nice to meet you." I leaned forward and extended my hand, waiting for Luna to shake it.

Hesitantly the Princess raised her foreleg to grasp my outstretched hand, initiating a shake. Her previously stone-like features melted away to form an embarrassed smile.

"Hello Jorge. I am Princess Luna, Co-ruler of Equestria. It is a pleasure."

"See, not so bad. So, if I may, I have a question. Where are my clothes? It's kinda just bare essentials down here."

"Oh, the doctors had to take them off to make sure your body hadn't suffered any injuries on the way." Said purple. I think that one was Twilight. Yeah, that sounds right.

"Oh. Well, can someone go get them? I'm feelin' a breeze here and its not comfortable." Cue the blush.

"I'll go get them."

"Thank you sweetheart."

...

"So, anyone got a question?"

I should not have asked that.

Author's Note:

So this is chapter one of my attempt to redo the story. I'm trying to make it better in general, but mostly cause I have been noticing some inconsistancies in the original and I don't like that.

Sorry if you were really into the original version, but I just can't stand it. That being said, I am still super lazy, so no promises on when the next chapter is happening.