• Published 23rd May 2012
  • 955 Views, 18 Comments

Ponies of the Night - Kage no Brony



The Ponies of the Night made a deal with the sun once. Now, the secret is coming to light.

  • ...
1
 18
 955

Chapter 3

Cheerilee dragged Zephyr around, introducing him to various members of the community. Their names and faces flew by as the duo hopped from group to group. A couple ponies seemed rather interesting. It was a shame he'd only be able to interact with them sparingly.



He was beginning to get a little tired, when they arrived by the rainbow maned pegasus who'd been so insistent on his being at this party.



“Hey, Rainbow, come meet Zephyr!” Cheerilee called, waving the pegasus down.



“I've already seen him!” The pegasus complained, “When he came into town.”



“Yeah, but you didn't introduce yourself, did you?” Cheerilee grinned, “I was watching when you crashed into him, you know.”



Rainbow looked apologetic and embarrassed. “Oh yeah, heh heh...” She turned to Zephyr, “Hi, i'm Rainbow Dash, the fastest flier in Equestria!” Her embarrassment didn't last long, Zephyr noted.



“I'm Zephyr, and I'm new to town.” He replied, in all honesty somewhat lamely. But that tended to happen when you didn't really care and you couldn't brag about your true nature.



“Nice to meet ya!” Dash said, before taking flight to catch up with other partygoers.



Sighing, Zephyr turned to look at Cheerilee, noticing she was talking to a pony he hadn't seen before. The pony she was speaking to had an orange coat, and what appeared to be a cowboy hat on her head. She turned and looked at him, her eyes glinting in the artificial light of Sugarcube Corner. “Howdy, pardner! I'm mighty glad ta meetcha!” Stretching a hoof out, she waited for him to hoof-shake.



Yeah, you wouldn't be if you knew the truth. He thought darkly, before accepting her shake. Big mistake on his part – it felt like she was going to tear his arm off and beat him with it, from how vigorously she was shaking it. Worst of all, that slight thrill of fear still resonated along his spine.



“Now what's yer name?” The pony asked, her shaking done. Zephyr's hoof continued to bob on it's own for a bit before Cheerilee stepped in and held it down.



“Zephyr, and yours?”



“I'm Applejack, I run th' farm just southwest a town!” Her eyes shone as she talked about her farm. “We have the best apples in Equestria, an' we make some darn tootin' good baked treats as well! Our cider is famous, even in Canterlot!”



Genuinely interested for once, Zephyr responded. “I'll have to try some of that, then.”



“Cider Season is starting soon, so just stop on by mah farm in a week or so.” Applejack said, “I'm gonna see who else's around. I'll see ya later, Zephyr!” She proceeded to head into the crowd.



Well, that wasn't too bad. Zephyr mused, maybe I have a chance here after all.



Cheerilee dragged him over to the refreshments, where two ponies he hadn't met yet were talking. One was a gorgeous white unicorn, with a blue colored mane styled impeccably. The other was a yellow pegasus, hiding her eyes under her pink mane which barely reached her snout.



“Fluttershy, darling, you really should be a little more social.” The unicorn said, looking worriedly at the pegasus.



“Oh, but I never know what to say...” Fluttershy responded, her voice almost a whisper, “I'm always worried that they won't like me.”



“Nonsense, darling! They'll like you just fine!” Rarity said, “You're always so sweet and caring, I'm sure there isn't a pony alive who could dislike you!”



“Oh, Rarity, you're just saying that...” Fluttershy stated, seeming to shrink into the floor.



“No, of course not!” Rarity's voice became a little louder with the passion she put behind the words. “I honestly believe you are the kindest mare I've met yet!”



“But...” Fluttershy flinched, as though struck by something. “Gilda didn't like me...”



“She also wasn't a pony, darling.” Rarity cooed back, before noticing the duo standing nearby. “Oh, there's the newcomer!”



Fluttershy just shrank some more, staring at Zephyr through her mane.



“Oh, um... hi?” Zephyr said, looking first at Rarity, then at Fluttershy.



“Hello, darling! I'm Rarity, and this is Fluttershy!” The white unicorn said, “And welcome to Ponyville, our humble abode!”



Zephyr couldn't help but inwardly chuckle at her overdramatic welcome.



“It's a decent town, all right.” Zephyr said, “The townsfolk are decent enough as well.”



“Oh, the townsfolk are absolute dears!” Rarity exclaimed, “They'd give you their right horseshoes if you asked kindly enough!” She gave a dramatic spin, before settling down, “But I'm sure you realized that, when Pinkie threw you this amazing party.”



“Yes, it is amazing. And to think she got this much decoration in such a relatively short time.” Zephyr said, “I'd like to know how she managed to pull it off, myself.”



“Oh, I believe the answer is quite simple, my dear.” Rarity commented, “She's Pinkie. She does all kinds of zany things, and that's the only explanation we have.”



“Hey, are you guys talking about me!?” A pink head popped out from under one of the refreshment tables, before the mare herself emerged.



“How'd she know?” Zephyr asked, confused. Last he'd seen her, she was across the room.



“My nose itched, and my right ear twitched.” Pinkie said, as though that explained everything.



“What...?” Zephyr asked, only becoming more confused.



“She has the strangest ability to tell what's going on around her...” Rarity said, “In short, she's Pinkie.”



Zephyr pondered this. It sounded like one of the skills of a Vampire Family, but Pinkie hadn't caused a reaction earlier. He could still feel the pulsing sensation in his spine, however. How strange, he hadn't ever heard of a non-vampire acquiring a trait from a Family.



He pondered over what he knew about Families. They were descendants of important or well known Vampires in history. Each Family had their own unique trait, associated with that historical figure. His ancestor, a general in the chaotic fighting after the banishment of Nightmare Moon, had been a master of disguise. How ironic, then, that he couldn't keep hidden.



His mind was snapped back as a pony sneezed, and he observed Pinkie's right ear shake before she ducked back under the table with an “Excuse me!”



“Is everything alright, dear?” Rarity asked, concern edging her voice. Zephyr realized he must have quite the expression on his face.



“Yes, everything's fine.” He replied, looking sheepish. “I was just trying to figure out how she did that.” He pointed with a hoof toward where Pinkie had popped out.



Rarity chuckled, “You remind me of Twilight when she found out about Pinkie Sense. Although, you're not quite as obsessed.”



“Is that a good thing?” Zephyr asked, cautiously.



“Yes, yes, of course.” Rarity said, “Well, I should be getting back to my boutique, it was a pleasure to meet you, Zephyr.”



“It was a pleasure to meet you, as well.” Zephyr gave a slight bow, smiling as she giggled while she left.



Fluttershy attempted to slip by Zephyr, apparently trying to get away now that her friend wasn't between them.



“Hey, wait.” Zephyr called, stepping into her path. “We haven't talked yet, and I was looking forward to meeting everypony.” Or rather, identifying the other vampire before they can take a chunk outta me.



“Oh, um...” She muttered, looking around helplessly. “I really should go feed my animal friends... if that's alright...”



Zephyr tilted his head, looking at her closely. “I think they'll be fine for a bit. Besides, I'd really like to get to know you a bit. You look like a nice mare.”



“I... is that so?” She stammered, pawing at the ground in embarrassment.



She's actually pretty cute when she's embarrassed. Zephyr nodded, “Yeah, I think so.”



“Well, do... do you like animals?” Fluttershy asked, quietly. She looked at him through her pink bangs with sparkling blue eyes.



Actually, that's pretty cute, too. “Yeah, they're alright. Can't say I've really paid much attention to them before, though.” Zephyr responded, “I've always been pretty busy.”



“Oh, that's too bad...” She looked away.



“You really care for animals, huh?” Zephyr asked, stepping aside. “I'm sorry if I caused any trouble.”



“Oh, no, not at all.” Fluttershy said, stepping by him. “The animals might be a little cranky, but it's nothing I haven't handled before.”



“I see. Well, good luck!” Zephyr wished, watching her go.



“You really took to her, huh?” Cheerilee asked, causing Zephyr to jump. She chuckled.



“Oh, I forgot you were here.” Zephyr said, calming himself down. He glanced over at the door, but Fluttershy had already left. He thought for a second. There was something bothering him, something that wasn't quite right.



No, it wasn't even that everything wasn't quite right... everything was perfect, and that's what bothered him. He'd been too wrapped up in his conversation with Fluttershy to notice if his spine had stopped reacting after Rarity left; And now, it wasn't reacting at all.