• Published 4th Jul 2015
  • 1,251 Views, 61 Comments

Project: Transcendence - Bluecatcinema



Discord goes looking for love... and stumbles upon an evil plot.

  • ...
5
 61
 1,251

Death Comes To Dinner

The group stood in horror, utterly mortified at the titanic beast above them. Shine's terror was mixed with a twinge of awe, while Daring had the explorer's curiosity going for her, being just as much intrigued by the creature as scared. Caboose, on the other hoof, was just plain scared. He wanted to run, but couldn't.

'Stupid legs!' He berated himself. 'Work already!'

Big Red glanced at his boys. Despite his fear, he was ready to protect them. Eclipse, not wanting his fear to betray him, flared his wings in a display of fortitude. Globe and Huckleberry, however, were practically frozen in fright.

"I wanna go home..." Globe whispered. "I wanna go home..."

Discord was just as scared as the others, as the memory of his first meeting with the creature flashed into his mind.

Flashback...

One afternoon, several weeks after meeting Isis, Discord was lounging in his own personal hot chocolate spring.

"Ah..." He sighed. "Nothing like a little milk chocolate after a hard day's chaos..."

As he lay back in the frothy brown liquid, Discord's thoughts turned to Isis. He hadn't seen her in a couple of days, though this was hardly new; She was always going off somewhere, often giving him some hasty excuse. Discord didn't think much of it, though. He had no interest in Isis' private life, only in having fun with her. Still, he couldn't help but wonder.

"Isis, where are you right now?" He mused, laying back in the spring. "Wherever it is, I hope you're enjoying yourself as much as I am..."

Suddenly the sky darkened.

"That's a big cloud." Discord frowned, looking up to see something blocking out the sun.

The "cloud" suddenly lunged forward, faster than any cloud could.

"What in the...?" Discord frowned.

The object that was clearly not a cloud dived downwards, straight toward Discord. As it drew nearer, it became clear how just how large it was.

"Sweet chaos!" Discord yelped, jumping out of the spring.

The creature, as large then as it was in the present, curved its body around the area, ringing Discord.

"Nice snaky?" Discord gulped. For the first time, the Spirit of Chaos felt true fear. The beast was unlike anything he had ever encountered before. He could feel the malice radiating off it, feel the cold running up his spine. Some kind of deep-seated instinct told him that this was a being beyond even his power, and that shook him to the core. He was too paralyzed with fright to even think of flashing away.

The creature's head tilted down towards Discord.

"Discord..." It snarled.

"You... know me?" Discord asked.

"You sound surprised." It declared. "You do have a certain reputation, you know."

"Well, I don't like to brag..." Discord smirked nervously.

"Silence!" The creature roared, making Discord squeak a bit. "I have not come here to stroke your ego."

"Th-then why are you here?" Discord asked.

"I would like to have words with you, little Chaos Spirit, regarding a certain white serpent you had been speaking with..." The creature growled. "And if I don't like what I hear, your day will turn very bad, very quickly..."

Still seized by the unfamiliar grip of fear, Discord swallowed, the lump in his throat dropping down to his stomach like a cannonball. He had a bad feeling their little 'talk' wouldn't be a pleasant one...

The present...

At that moment, Discord felt the same twinge of fear, not just for himself, but for the others. Though as a Spirit of Chaos, he was practically indestructible, his friends weren't, and he couldn't stand the idea of them suffering for what he had done.

'Why did I have to drag them all into this?' He thought. 'If anything happens to them because of me, I'll never forgive myself!'

Meanwhile, Isis was standing on the sidelines, wearing a look of boredom.

"Pitiful trespassers..." The serpent growled. "You had made a grievious error, intruding this sacred sanctuary... and I possess zero tolerance for intruders."

"We, ah, didn't mean any disrespect." Shine cringed.

"Please don't take this personally." Daring added.

"And please don't eat us." Globe quivered.

"Especially not before we've eaten." Caboose added. "I'd hate to die on an empty stomach."

"Yeah, because that'd be the worst part about today." Eclipse frowned.

"The worse part about being eaten is that my handsome face will get torn apart." Huckleberry sighed. "I won't even leave a good-looking corpse behind..."

"Ya kin eat me if ya want, but leave mah kids alone!" Big Red said boldly.

"Eat you?" The serpent lowered his enormous head, showing it's fangs, which were terrifying to say the least, as each was the size of a small tree, their points sharper than any sword, with lakes of spittle running down them. "Why would I eat you? You ponies are so small, barely a snack. Not to mention you're so terribly chewy, you would all get stuck between my teeth." He let out a dark chuckle, "No, the simple way to dispose of you all would be to expel you from the island... it's only a twenty thousand mile drop to the cold ground below..."

"Uh-oh, he knows numbers." Caboose frowned.

"Hey, some of us can fly, you know." Eclipse retorted.

"Not with your wings blown off, you won't." The serpent sneered. "I can make them disappear without even a blink..."

"He's bluffing." A miniature Discord whispered in Eclipse's ear. "That kind of trick is more up my alley..."

"Not really looking to out that to the test." Eclipse hissed.

"Look, we didn't mean any harm coming here." Daring declared. "We were just looking for somepony."

"And you found me." Osiris snarled. "Such a pity... for you!"

"Okay, that's enough." Isis stepped forward, an annoyed look on her face. "You've had your fun, Osiris. Now back off!"

"Mind your tone, sister." The serpent that was apparently named 'Osiris' glared. "Don't think I didn't notice you cavorting with these outsiders."

"'Cavorting'?" Isis snorted. "Is that what we were doing? Didn't look like it to me. Maybe you should take your head out of the clouds more often, get a little perspective."

"This is no time for levity." Osiris snarled, "This sanctuary is hidden for a reason. If these mortals found it, then who knows how many could follow in their stead?"

"Always so paranoid, aren't you, brother." Isis scowled. "They didn't come here to expose us."

"How can you be so sure?" Osiris asked. "Have you looked into their hearts and minds? Do you know what is running through their mortal heads? Of course not."

"It's called giving them a benefit of the doubt, brother." Isis retorted.

"Which is something that we cannot afford to give." Osiris snarled. "This island is sacred. It was never meant for their kind! They spit on our very honor just by setting hoof on it! That alone demands their immediate expulsion!"

"Well, I see you haven't changed." Discord said boldly.

Osiris paused, as he glared deeply at Discord, prompting the draconequus to quiver a bit.

"Discord..." Osiris seethed. "I thought I smelled a rat..."

"Technically, he's a Draconequus." Caboose pointed out. "But he can turn into a rat. Can't you, big D?"

"Yes, but I doubt that would help much in this situation." Discord declared. "Look, Osiris, this isn't what you think-"

"I will admit, it must have taken all of your courage for you to come here." Osiris chuckled darkly. "Then again, sooner or later, lambs are led to slaughter..."

"Osiris, that's enough." Isis frowned, "Must you be this way with all my friends?"

"Indeed, if said friend is this abomination." Osiris growled. "When he disappeared for a millennia, I had hoped that Discord had finally moved on... apparently, I was wrong."

"Well, my 'disappearance' was hardly by choice." Discord scowled. "There were outside... outside factors that forced my claw..."

"Let's not waste time reflecting on the past." Osiris cut Discord off. "Let us focus on the present. Specifically, on all the mortal intruders on this island." The said 'mortals' cringed under his hateful gaze.

"Wait, they're only here because of me." Discord admitted. "I brought them along on my search for this sanctuary. I needed their help to find this place."

"Oh, did you now?" Osiris frowned, "Good to know that our home's magic was enough to repel pests... though we may have to invest in a bug zapper for our little mortals here..."

"Nice to see you're still as tolerant as ever." Discord frowned. "Look, do what you want to me, but leave my friends alone. They have no qualms with you."

"Friends?" Osiris sneered. "The Spirit of Chaos has made friends? And with his toys? And actually sounding selfless? Wow, looks like somepony finally grew up."

"Yes, yes, we've already been through all that." Discord said impatiently.

"Nonetheless, they violated the sanctity of our sanctuary." Osiris said coldly. "And you knowingly led them to do that. You will all face judgment for these crimes."

"Oh, knock it off!" Isis snarled. "Seriously, quit playing the 'big bad Serpent Deity of Death' thing! Come down here and talk like a civilized Deity."

"Ohh... fine." Osiris snarled. "I'm getting tired of craning my neck like this, anyway..."

Like Isis before him, Osiris shrunk down to a less imposing size, punctuated by silvery glow and his demonic roar. But even at that diminished height, he still towered over them, being twice the size of Discord.

"Happy now?" He scowled.

"Getting there." Isis said humorlessly. "I'd be a lot more happy if you just left our visitors alone."

"But they have violated our solitude! Our peace!" Osiris snarled. "Such an affront cannot be ignored!"

"Excuse me, could you please stop talking about us like we're not even here?" Daring asked.

"Yeah, just because you're immortal doesn't mean you get to be rude!" Eclipse added.

"You see that?" Osiris told Isis. "More impudence! It's like they don't even know who I am!"

"Well... we kinda don't." Caboose shrugged.

"That's true." Big Red admitted. "We heard about Isis, but didn't hear nuthin' about you."

"Well, I believe I did read something about a 'Serpent Deity of Death'." Daring admitted. "But it was barely a footnote. I never thought we'd actually see one."

"Well, you thought wrong." Osiris smirked. "Foolish mortals. Your ignorance was always your greatest failing..." He then gives a small shrug. "But I'm feeling merciful. You have one hour to leave this island and go back to wherever it is you came from. If you're still here after that hour has elapsed, well... I can't be held responsible for what happens."

"Sounds good to me." Globe shivered. "Shall we go?"

"I'm with you." Huckleberry gulped. "Let's get while the gettin's good!"

"Seriously, Osiris, just stop!" Isis yelled. "There's no harm in them being here!"

"No harm?" Osiris sneered. "This sanctuary is hidden for a reason, sister! The power we wield is far too great to be advertised and demonstrated in front of their mortal eyes! If the mortals knew where we are, they would come to our island, barraging us with sycophantic requests, begging us to use those powers for their simple needs. Or worse, we could face those unscrupulous fiends who wish to steal our powers and wreak havoc on this world!"

"Your paranoia does not become you, brother." Isis declared. "These mortals have already given me their word that they will not share the sanctuary's location with the outside world. Isn't that right, everypony?"

"Darn tootin'." Big Red nodded.

"Right." Globe nodded.

"Our lips are sealed." Huckleberry nodded.

"I can keep a secret." Eclipse smiled.

"Some things are best left unknown." Daring admitted.

"I barely even know where we are right now." Caboose smiled. "So how could I tell anypony?"

"I give you my word as a Prince." Shine bowed. "Nopony outside of ourselves shall ever know of this place."

"There, see?" Isis turned to Osiris. "That's good enough for me, and it should be good enough for you."

"If only it were that simple." Osiris growled.

"I trust them." Isis said firmly. "And so should you."

"How 'trustworthy' can they be, considering the... company they keep?" Osiris glared at Discord.

"Well, that's just rude." Discord huffed.

"Discord has never lied to me." Isis retorted. "And it's not like he'd have anything to gain from telling the world about us."

"Oh, and that stopped Discord before?" Osiris raised a brow, "Discord might not have lied to you, but he has lied to many others. It is in his nature after all, as the spirit of Chaos."

"But his nature has changed." Isis declared. "The Discord of old would not make friends with mortals. There is a new side to him now, one that I find most... endearing."

"You may have a point there..." Osiris admitted grudgingly.

"And these mortals are good ponies." Isis continued. "One is even a Prince. And if you can't trust the word of royalty, who can you trust?"

"He doesn't look very regal to me..." Osiris muttered, staring disdainfully at Shine. "More like one of those country bumpkins..."

"Ooh, burn..." Eclipse said under his breath.

"Just let them stay for a couple of days." Isis urged. "There's no harm in that, is there? It's not like a clawful of ponies can cause that much trouble, right?"

"...I suppose not." Osiris capitulated. "Very well, they can stay. But only for a couple of days, understand?"

"Thank you, brother." Isis smiled.

"And I expect you'll be able to keep an eye on them?" Osiris asked.

"Of course." Isis nodded. "Discord and I do have some catching up to do, you know."

"Yes, I know." Osiris said tersely, as he glared at Discord. "I know..."

"Now, how about formally introducing yourself to them?" Isis suggested.

"You must be joking..." Osiris grimaced.

"Nope." Isis shook her head. "It's the polite thing to do. Especially considering you threatened to eat them."

"Very well." Osiris rolled his purple eyes. "Greetings, mortals. I am Osiris, Serpent Deity of Death."

"It's an honor to make your acquaintance." Shine said respectfully. "I am Prince Shine Paladin of Equestria."

"It's something, alright." Daring muttered. "Daring Do, here."

"Hi, I'm Caboose!" Caboose said cheerfully.

"How do, yer... deathness." Big Red declared. "Ah'm Big Red, and these are mah boys: Eclipse, Huckleberry and Globe."

Globe and Huckleberry smiled weakly, while Eclipse just glared.

"There, now we all know each other." Osiris sneered.

"Great. Now, our guests have invited me to share dinner with them." Isis declared. "Perhaps you'd like to join us?"

"What?!" Discord gulped.

"What?!" Osiris growled.

"...Is there an echo out here?" Caboose asked.

"Sure, why not?" Isis asked.

"For what purpose would this 'dinner' serve?" Osiris sneered.

"Oh, no purpose, really." Discord shrugged. "It's a little something friends do." He then frowned, "Though I think it might be something you wouldn't like..."

"You thought correctly..." Osiris agreed with a grunt. "I have more important matters to attend to than attending some frivolous dinner."

"Like what?" Isis snorted. "Flying around, being all menacing and scary? I think you can take a short break from all that to socialize a little."

"Doubtful." Osiris said stubbornly.

"Come on, Osiris." Isis pleaded. "When's last time we had guests on this island? Never."

"Which was just the way I liked it." Osiris huffed.

"Well, I didn't." Isis retorted. "We finally have a little company, and I want us to make the most of it. So let's act like gracious hosts and join them in their meal. I'd really like for my new friends to get to know my brother"

"But Isis-" Osiris started.

"In all our years, have I ever once asked you for something?" Isis inquired.

"Well..." Osiris trailed off.

"Well, I'm asking now." Isis declared, putting on a pouty face. "Come on, Osiris. Just this once, can you try to be sociable? For me, your dear sister?"

"Alright, I'll do it." Osiris sighed. "Just stop looking at me like that."

"You've made the right choice." Isis grinned.

"Guess we've gotta set another place at the table." Big Red shrugged.

"I'm not sitting next to him." Globe shook his head. "No way."

"You think I want to?" Huckleberry asked. "No thanks. I choose 'life'!"

"No kidding." Eclipse snorted. "I'd rather perform dentistry on a cactus coyote!"

"Boys, I'm sure Osiris is a reasonable... Deity." Shine declared.

"Oh, sure." Daring said sarcastically. "We probably just caught him on an off day..."

"I had one of those, once." Caboose admitted. "Everything seemed to go wrong. Even the ponies I ran into gave me a raw deal, all because of my bad luck."

"I think it was more down to you trying to launch yourself to work out of a cannon." Daring reminded him. "Those were all ponies whose houses you'd wrecked from misfiring."

"Oh, yeah..." Caboose mused. "Eh, my point still stands."

"I'm sorry to say, this is what Osiris is usually like." Discord frowned. "He's always been a stiff, stubborn old mule of a Serpent Deity. He made even the old me look sociable!"

"And how would you know?" Shine asked. "He did mention meeting you before, so what happened?"

"A story for another day." Discord said bluntly. "But for now, I suggest we just try to get through this dinner, and try not to make Osiris angry enough to eat us... or worse."

"Words to live by..." Globe shivered.

Before long, they had returned to the S.S. Cherryblossom. Since Osiris couldn't really fit inside, they brought a table outside, and raided the kitchen to make a feast fit for a couple of Deities. They all gathered around the table, ready to eat. Osiris sat on the far side, while Isis sat next to Discord (earning the Spirit of Chaos some dirty looks from her brother). The sun was starting to set behind them. As they ate, they struck up idle conversation.

"Ah hope ya like the food, ma'am." Big Red told Isis.

"Oh, yes." Isis nodded. "I don't really need to eat, but I enjoy the sensation. All the different tastes and flavors... such a treat."

"My thoughts, exactly." Discord grinned. "And Big Red is quite the decent chef. That's assuming you like cherries..."

"And I do." Isis grinned.

"Honestly, and literally, I can live without this 'food' of yours." Osiris snorted, his own plate untouched.

"You gonna eat that?" Caboose asked.

"No." Osiris pushed the plate over to Caboose with his tail.

"Great!" Caboose dug into the food.

"Hey, Isis?" Daring inquired. "Mind if I ask kind of a personal question?"

"Sure, what is it?" Isis asked.

"I read somewhere that it was your powers that fed the Golden Phoenix of Immortality." Daring remarked. "Why did you do that, anyway?"

"The Golden Phoenix?" Osiris growled. "You ponies know of it?"

"Know of it?" Caboose chuckled. "Some of us have used it!"

"Caboose, maybe you shouldn't-" Shine started.

"Shine here did!" Caboose continued. "Him and his fellow Prince, Gothic! Both of 'em used its powers to become immortal!"

"You what?!" Osiris roared. "How did you even learn of its existence in the first place?"

Caboose managed to get out "Dis-" before Daring put a hoof over his mouth. it was enough for Osiris.

"Discord, eh?" He growled.

"Ah-he-he-he..." Discord chuckled nervously.

"And how did you learn of it?" Osiris asked. "I can think of only one way..."

"Okay, so I told him." Isis shrugged. "It's no big deal."

"No big deal?" Osiris growled. "It was bad enough you empowered that travesty, but to tell him about it?! Why would you even mention it?"

"To be fair, it was sort of my fault." Discord admitted. "We got into this 'who has the biggest accomplishment' game. I had her with my 'giant lake of golden honey' move, but then she brought up the statue, even giving me the map as proof. If it makes you feel better, I was forced to admit defeat after hearing that one."

"It doesn't." Osiris snarled. He rounded on Shine. "You made yourself immortal? Do you have any idea how that upsets the natural order?"

"Actually, no." Shine gulped. "How exactly does that upset the balance?"

"Because for every year you live beyond your allotted span, one must be taken from another." Osiris said bluntly.

"...What?" Shine gasped.

"Seriously?" Caboose frowned. "Seems kinda contrived to me."

"How does that even work?" Globe asked.

"Beats me." Huckleberry shrugged.

"So Shine stays alive, and other ponies live a little less?" Eclipse asked.

"Sweet Faust..." Big Red gaped.

"And you know that, how?" Daring asked.

"I know because I am the Deity of Death." Osiris declared. "Death itself is my dominion, and therefore I know everything about it. Every mortal's lifespan is measured by a thread. As Deity of Death, I see where the thread ends, be it fifty years from now, or next Monday. With my powers, I can adjust how long a mortal's thread is as I see fit. By becoming immortal, Prince, you have made your strand infinite. No matter what I do, the thread goes on for eons. And since you weren't born an immortal to begin with, all that extra length your thread been given doesn't come from out of nowhere. Or did you think you could gain such a prize without a price?"

"I... I never thought..." Shine said, shocked.

"No, you didn't." Osiris sneered. "You only thought of extending your own life, without ever thinking of the consequences... and for what?"

"I'm sorry is I think I was being selfish, but I didn't do it for myself." Shine declared. "I did it for my wife and daughter. They were both immortal, and I couldn't bear to make them suffer an eternity without me."

"Peh, love..." Osiris scoffed. "All it ever did for me is throw a wrench in my job. One should be grateful for the time they have been given, and not ask for more..."

"Brother, that's enough." Isis said sternly.

"I apologize, great Deity of Death." Shine gave a small bow to Osiris. "I never stopped to think. If I had known there was an order to such things, perhaps I wouldn't have been so hasty..."

"Well, there isn't much that can be done about it now." Osiris admitted. "I can do nothing about Isis' abilities, nor can she simply extract the life force from you. Our powers have very well-defined limits."

"And either way, despite what my brother said..." Isis glared at Osiris, before giving a sympathetic smile. "I find it romantic and heartwarming that you would do such a thing for the ones you love. I can think of no better reason one would become immortal."

"Thank you, Isis." Shine beamed. "Not just for the compliment, but for imbuing the Phoenix with your power in the first place."

"You're very welcome." Isis grinned.

"How exactly do your powers work, anyway?" Eclipse suddenly asked. "Isis, can you like, bring the dead back to life?"

"Not exactly..." Isis shook her head. "It is a very common misconception.I can breathe life into objects and grant them animation, and restore the gravest of wounds, bringing those from the brink of death... But once that brink is crossed, there's nothing I can do for them...they're gone."

The moment Isis said those words, Eclipse seem to have grown... disheartened.

"And what of you, mighty Osiris?" Shine asked Osiris. "If you don't mind my asking, of course."

"Well, Prince, aside from being the keeper of the mortals' lives..." Osiris declared as he gave a wry grin. "I of course have the power to end the life of anypony I choose."

"Y-you can?" Globe gulped.

"How?" Huckleberry asked with concern.

"It's rather complicated." Osiris shrugged, "You see, most of the time, when a pony is on the verge of death, or is about to be suddenly killed, I manifest their thread between my mandibles like this..." Suddenly, inbetween the two sharp points of his mandible, a seemingly invisible thread appear, much to everypony's surprise.

"Osiris, must you show them this now?" Isis frowned.

"They asked for it, I'm simply demonstrating." Osiris brushed her off, "When I have a thread of a mortal who is about to meet his or her maker, I simply cut it... like SO!" His mandibles suddenly snapped together, cutting the thread. The moment he did so, a loud lady scream echoed, shocking everyone.

"What was that?!" Globe gaped.

"That was just poor Periwinkle Bloom." Osiris smirked, "The poor thing just cashed in her chips."

"So... you snap a thread, and a pony dies... just like that?" Daring murmured.

"Indeed." Osiris nodded, "However, since a lot of mortals die everyday, most of the cutting goes on in here." He pointed his tail to his head.

"So... basically, you can play God with everypony's life?" Caboose said bluntly.

"...Well, yes and no." Osiris shook his head. "Yes, at times, I can simply cut a thread to end one's life at any time, even when they are at the top of their game, but that is only in cases of... special circumstances. To do it often would disrupt the balance that I seek to maintain. Everything has their time and place in which they die. I can give and take time as I please, but death is unavoidable. Even as the Deity of Death, I cannot stop death itself."

"Huh, guess even the gods a' life an' death can't do everythin'." Big Red remarked.

"I wouldn't be too sure." Osiris gave a small smirk, "That is just the simple way of which I take lives... with my powers, I possess more... 'creative' ways as to how I can end one's life..."

"I don't think I want to know what those ways are..." Globe gulped.

"Me neither." Huckleberry agreed. "I'll already have enough trouble sleeping tonight.

"A wise decision, young ones." Osiris remarked. "My work isn't exactly for the faint of heart..."

"Still, that must be quite a burden for you." Shine sympathized. "To decide when one come and goes..."

"It can be." Osiris admitted. "And all those mortals down below have no idea. They have no clue as to the constant work, day in, day out, that my position demands."

"Well, we do." Shine declared. "And I for one, respect you for it."

"Thank you, little Prince." Osiris remarked. "You have yet to exceed your natural lifespan, yet you already possess the wisdom beyond mortality."

"Was that an actual compliment?" Isis teased him.

"I always appreciate those who afford me the proper respect." Osiris said curtly. "Something else I have seen precious little of over the years..."

"Well forgive me, your high and mightyness..." Isis snorted.

"Can we get back to the Phoenix?" Daring asked. "What drove you to empower it in the first place?"

"It was during a very bad point of my life." Isis sighed. "A lot of mortals' lives were taken by a terrible plague. Mothers, fathers, and children alike were dying, and my brother was working overtime to adjust the threads of those affected by the plague. I just couldn't bear seeing the loved ones of those taken to wallow in such sadness. It broke my heart many times over, and before long, I had had enough. So I thought, maybe it would be best if I could give them a way to not die without intervening... so, I created the Golden Phoenix. It wasn't until I had empowered the phoenix that I realized how foolish that was, however. As Shine might know by now, the Phoenix only allow him to live forever, but it doesn't make him immune to things that can kill a mortal, and it would make no difference in the wake of the plague. But by the time I came to this conclusion, it was too late. I couldn't undo what I did, so I simply hid the Phoenix away. Though I made the map just in case." She then chuckled. "Osiris wasn't happy when he found out."

"That's putting it mildly." Osiris growled. "I have never been more disappointed in my sister, before or since."

"You got over it quickly enough." Isis shrugged. "Only took a decade or two."

"Whoa, really?" Eclipse frowned. "I can't imagine being mad at my brothers for that long..."

"To an immortal, such time is but the blink of an eye." Osiris said curtly.

"It was still annoying, not having you speak to me." Isis declared. "You always were a stubborn one."

"Runs in the family..." Osiris shot back.

"Isn't this nice?" Caboose asked. "All of us hanging out, eating and chatting about stuff?"

"Yes." Discord admitted. "It's going a lot better than I thought it would..."

Before long, the food was eaten, and the plates cleared.

"We hope you enjoyed the dinner, Osiris." Shine nodded respectfully.

"I've had worse evenings." Osiris declared. "Come, Isis. We must return to our abode."

"Actually, I was thinking I'd stick around here tonight." Isis declared.

"...You were, were you?" Osiris frowned.

"I hope that isn't a problem?" Isis asked.

"Of course not." Osiris said. "Have fun with your new friends..." Then he added through gritted teeth "...And Discord."

"Oh, I will." Isis chuckled. "See you tomorrow, brother."

Stopping only to throw a scowl Discord's way, Osiris took off, heading towards the mountain in the distance. Once he had left, Isis walked over to Discord.

"So." She smiled. "You wanna look up at the stars, like we used to?"

"Nothing would please me more." Discord grinned.

"We'd better get to bed." Daring declared. "It's getting late."

"I could sleep." Eclipse yawned.

"Me too." Huckleberry nodded.

"And me." Globe agreed.

"Then it's unanimous." Shine smiled. "Night, all."

"Good evening, you two." Big Red smirked, as the others went back into the airship.

"Have fun, big D." Caboose grinned.

"Oh, I will." Discord grinned.

Once the others went inside, Discord and Isis lay on their backs watching the stars above their heads.

"Ah, this takes me back." Discord sighed. "Just the two of us, gazing at the stars together... I can't think of a better way to end the day."

"Me neither." Isis grinned. "And being on this island means the stars are so much closer."

"They sure are." Discord grinned, flashing on a pair of shades. "And so much brighter."

"You know something?" Isis sighed. "I've really missed you. All these years, with no fun in my life... It was just so depressing."

"I know." Discord frowned. "And I'm sorry. I shouldn't have just up and left, and I certainly shouldn't have waited so long before trying to find you again. It was thoughtless of me to do that, especially to you."

"It's okay." Isis smiled. "I'm just glad I can finally be with you again."

"So am I." Discord beamed.

As they continued watching the stars, Isis gently leant against Discord. Her body, warm with life essence, felt... right against his... Discord gingerly put his paw on her shoulders. Isis' smile grew a little wider, but she said nothing.

As they laid there, Discord took a moment to glance at Isis, happy that they had finally been reunited. All in all, the day had gone quite well. And tomorrow would be even better...