• Published 4th Jul 2015
  • 1,251 Views, 61 Comments

Project: Transcendence - Bluecatcinema



Discord goes looking for love... and stumbles upon an evil plot.

  • ...
5
 61
 1,251

Ready For Departure

True to his word, Shine didn't tell the others about anything he and Osiris had talked about, attributing the amount of time it took to get back to him simply being due to finding the best berries he could. Nopony (especially Globe) could argue with that, instead enjoying the bounty he'd brought for them.

"Mm-mmm." Globe smiled. "These are some really great berries."

"Yeah, Shine always did have a gift fer pickin' the best cherries, back on the ranch." Big Red grinned. "Good ta see livin' in that fancy castle with all them servants hasn't made ya lose yer touch."

"Thanks, Big Red." Shine beamed.

"This stuff's good, but it doesn't compare to the cherries back home." Eclipse admitted.

"No question." Huckleberry added. "There's nothing better than a slice of one of Ma's classic pies."

"Ah miss her too, ya know." Big Red declared. "But we'll be heading off soon enuff. Jest gotta hold out until then."

"Easier said then done." Daring sighed. "I'm really missing the kids."

"Me too." Caboose smiled. "Hope those little rascals haven't gotten into too much trouble."

"We'll all be going home soon." Shine smiled.

"But what about Discord?" Caboose asked. "Will he be coming with us, or staying here with Isis?"

"You know, I never thought about that." Daring admitted. "I guess that's up to him."

"You think he'll stay?" Eclipse asked.

"Maybe." Shine shrugged. "Love is a powerful thing. It was enough to get me to stay in Canterlot, and it might be enough to get Discord to stay here."

"I'm sure Osiris will love that." Huckleberry said sarcastically. "He and Discord could be roomies."

"Ah doubt that'd work, though." Big Red declared. "That overgrown snake's hated Discord since the moment they met."

"Ah, he's not so bad." Shine declared.

"Seriously?" Eclipse asked.

"He's not a bad Deity, just... determined, and a little proud. That's all." Shine shrugged.

"No surprise this is coming from you, Prince suck-up." Daring snorted. "You've been kissing the guy's scales this entire time."

"Very funny." Shine said humorlessly. "Just don't judge Osiris too harshly. He's a better Deity than you know."

"And how would you know, exactly?" Caboose asked.

"...I just do." Shine said defensively. "Call it a hunch."

"Fair 'nuff." Big Red shrugged. "Anypony want the last berry?"

"Me!" Globe raised his hoof.

"Big surprise..." Huckleberry snarked.

"Don't knock it." Eclipse whispered. "The more he eats now, the more dessert we can have later."

The next morning, Discord and Isis decided to break the news to their mortal friends.

"Mornin', big D." Caboose smiled, as the pair approached the airship.

"Lady Isis." Shine added.

"Morning, all." Isis said pleasantly.

"Great news, guys." Discord smiled. "Isis is going to come with us to the surface!"

"Whoa!" Eclipse gasped.

"Really?" Globe asked.

"Awesome!" Huckleberry grinned.

"Well, well." Big Red chuckled. "Takin' the li'l lady down ta the ol' homestead, are ya?"

"You could put it that way, yes." Discord nodded. "I do plan on showing Isis around my humble abode..."

"Congrats, big D." Caboose chuckled. "It took a thousand years or so, but you're finally bringing a girl home."

"Excited, Isis?" Daring asked.

"I sure am." Isis nodded. "I haven't been to the surface since I thought Discord abandoned me. I imagine a lot has changed since then..."

"That they have." Shine nodded. "But mostly for the better. Speaking of changes, have you told Osiris that you're planning on leaving?"

"Not just yet." Isis answered. "He does deserve to know, at least. But honestly, it doesn't matter to me if he approves of it or not. Nothing's going to stop me from doing this!"

"That's my girl!" Discord grinned, wrapping an arm around her.

"So, when will we be pushing off?" Eclipse asked. "Not that this hasn't been a great trip, but I wouldn't mind getting back to our homestead."

"Me too." Globe sighed. "I really miss ma's cherry pie."

"I'm missing all the lovely ladies back home." Huckleberry grinned. "And I'm sure they're missing me..."

"In your dreams, pal." Eclipse chided him.

"Don't worry, fellas." Shine smiled. "We'll be heading off soon enough."

"Kind of a shame, really." Big Red looked upon the S.S. Cheryblossom whimsically. "After such a big adventure, the ol' gal's gonna haveta go back inta that musty ol' hangar."

"At least it got to fly one last time." Daring declared. "I'm sure your dad would have appreciated that."

"Sho'nuff." Big Red smiled warmly, remembering his encounter with Red Baron's spirit. "Sho'nuff..."

"I'm guessing you won't be bringing much luggage?" Shine asked Isis.

"None at all, in fact." Isis nodded. "We Serpents never really held much stock in 'possessions'. We have everything we need right here." She indicated her body. "In terms of physical objects, at least..."

"And I have everything I need right here." Discord pulled in closely.

"Oh, Dissy..." Isis chuckled.

"'Dissy'?" Eclipse snorted.

"Mind yer manners, kiddo." Big Red said firmly.

"We're not quite ready to leave yet." Daring declared. "We need to replenish a few supplies, make a little extra room for Isis..."

"I can take care of that." Discord declared. "Just as soon as we're clear of the island, that is... Ever slept in a real bed before, Isis?"

"Never." Isis admitted. "Hope you can conjure up one big enough for me."

"And then some." Discord winked saucily.

"Whoooo!" Caboose whooped.

"Either way, we'll be making our departure by first light tomorrow." Shine declared.

"I guess I should have that talk with Osiris, then." Isis noted.

"Maybe I can come with you?" Discord offered. "You know, provide some moral support?"

"Thanks, Discord." Isis smiled. "But I'd prefer to do this by myself. I need to talk to Osiris, sibling to sibling."

"As you wish, my dear." Discord stroked her cheek. "Good luck."

"Thanks." Isis squeezed his talon. "Something tells me I'm going to need it..."

As Isis flew off to find Osiris, Discord stared after her.

"She'll be fine, big D." Caboose assured him.

"Oh, I know." Discord declared. "I just hope she and Osiris manage to part on friendly terms. The last thing that girl needs is more drama..."

After searching half the island, Isis found Osiris by the grove. Gingerly, she approached him.

"Hello, Osiris." She declared.

"Isis." Osiris said quietly. "You're... looking well."

"Thank you." Isis said flatly. "So are you."

"How are things?" Osiris asked.

"Can't complain." Isis shrugged. She was finding it harder than she thought, telling her brother the news. "You?"

"I've been better." Osiris admitted. "Definitely been better..."

For a few moments, both siblings floated in silence, unable to say what they wanted to. Eventually, Isis managed to find the words.

"Osiris, I have something I need to tell you." Isis declared.

"What is it?" Osiris asked.

"Well... I... there's really no easy way to say this." Isis sighed. "But our friends and Discord are going to be leaving the sanctuary soon, and... I've decided to go with them."

"You what?!" Osiris gasped, his face fraught with shock. "Isis, I know we had a disagreement, but that is no excuse to simply abandon me and our ancestral home!"

"That's not what this is about." Isis told him. "The fact is, I've been stuck on this island for far too long. It's time I returned to the surface world, reconnected with all the lives I've brought into being."

"Oh." Osiris muttered, a tad embarrassed about his outburst. "I see. ...For how long?"

"I don't really know." Isis admitted. "Maybe a while. Possibly even years."

"That long, eh?" Osiris sighed, crestfallen. "And I suppose there's no talking you out of it?"

"Not a chance." Isis nodded. "So don't even try."

"I had a feeling you'd say that." Osiris pouted.

"I'd like to go with your blessing." Isis admitted. "Can you at least give me that?"

"I... suppose." Osiris sighed. "Since you seem to have your heart set on it, I have no right to refuse. I do indeed give you my blessing, sister. Go and see the surface world you've missed for so long, and know that you have my support."

In reality, Osiris was dead against the idea. All the worst possibilities ran through his head, each one happening to Isis. A large part of him wanted to forbid her from leaving, to keep her safe on the sanctuary forever. But he knew he was in no position to deny his sister her most fondest of goals. Not after what he had done to her in the past...

"Thank you, big brother." Isis hugged him briefly. "This means a lot to me. It really does. And I promise to come back and visit whenever I can."

"Oh, that won't be necessary." Osiris declared.

"It won't?" Isis frowned. "Why?"

"Because I'll be coming with you." Osiris declared.

The grove went silent for a moment.

"...You're joking, right?" Isis deadpanned.

"I'm completely serious." Osiris retorted.

"Why?" Isis asked. "You're not exactly the surface world's biggest fan. You've always talked about dangerous it could be..."

"Which is exactly why I'm coming along." Osiris smiled. "You need somepony to keep an eye on you."

"Oh, not this again..." Isis rolled her eyes.

"Don't give me that tone." Osiris glared at her. "I know you think I'm being overprotective, but I just want to make sure you're safe."

"I'll be just fine." Isis huffed. "I'll have Discord with me. And our new friends, of course."

"They are a decent bunch." Osiris admitted. "Even Discord has his uses, I'm forced to admit... But I'm still your brother, making it my duty to ensure your protection."

"I had a feeling this conversation was going too well." Isis growled.

"I'm not stopping you from leaving." Osiris declared. "But if you are leaving, then you will leave with me."

"...Okay, fine." Isis groaned. "But at least try and give me some space, okay? I'd prefer not to have you breathing down my neck everywhere we go, and clinging to me like the morning dew."

"I think I can accommodate you in that respect." Osiris agreed.

"And don't even think of trying to get in between Discord and me." Isis snarled.

"You truly think I would do that?" Osiris frowned. "After everything that's happened?"

"Yes." Isis said bluntly. "Promise me you won't try anything."

"You have my word." Osiris pledged.

"Good." Isis nodded. "Now, our friends still need time to prepare. We won't be leaving until tomorrow morning. That'll give us plenty of time to get ready."

"Indeed it does." Osiris declared. "I hate the idea of leaving this sanctuary behind, with no Serpents upon it, but your safety comes first."

"Of course it does." Isis rolled her eyes. "Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to go tell the others about your decision."

As Isis imagined, the others were far from pleased to hear the news.

"He's coming with us?" Eclipse gaped. "Seriously?"

"How's he even going to fit in the ship?" Globe asked. "Even in his smaller form, he's huge!"

"Yeah, because that's the worst thing about him coming with us." Huckleberry snarked.

"We may have to watch our route." Daring declared. "Don't want to freak ponies out by letting them see a giant snake following us..."

"How could you let him invite himself along like that?" Discord asked Isis.

"I know I should have refused." Isis sighed. "But the look on his face... I just couldn't say 'no'."

"It's simple." Discord turned himself into a giant "No", the "O" being used as a mouth. "No." He changed back to normal. "See how easy that was?"

"It won't be as bad as you think." Isis insisted." He's promised to keep his distance... especially when it comes to you and me."

"Well, that at least is good news." Discord admitted.

"Isis is right." Shine said positively. "Like I said yesterday, Osiris isn't as bad as you think he is."

"He'd better be." Big Red scowled. "Don't need him scaring everypony in Canterlot with that big ol' threatenin' look a' his."

"I'm sure he'll mind his manners." Isis said (though there was a hint of doubt in her voice).

"Either way, I'm not letting him go near Hurricane and Mikey." Caboose declared. "If they see him, they'll have nightmares for a week. Like when that monster clown showed up at my birthday. Faust, I hate you, Mr. Jingles..."

"Well, minor drawback aside, at least we'll finally be going home." Daring smiled. "Meaning you and I can have some proper alone time... The kind where we can be as loud as we want..."

"Ohhh, goody..." Caboose chuckled.

"Just FYI, your 'quiet' alone time hasn't been all that quiet." Shine added. "Just saying..."

"No kidding." Huckleberry grimaced. "First night on the ship, I thought a couple of stray cats were having a fight."

"It didn't help that sound bounces off those metal walls..." Eclipse shuddered.

"Sorry, Dissy." Isis apologised. "I didn't mean to let this happen. Don't be mad at me."

"Oh, I can't stay mad at you." Discord smiled. "Not for long, anyway. If Osiris wants to come, then so be it. Even if he doesn't stay true to his word, I won't let him come between us. Never again."

"I love it when you get all gallant." Isis smiled adoringly.

Discord flashed on a suit of armor.

"I live to please, milady." He kissed her claw.

"Okay, we should probably get back to work." Shine declared. "Once we're finished, we can get to dinner, then an early night. Make sure we're good and fresh for our departure tomorrow."

"Works for me." Eclipse smiled.

"And me." Daring purred, nuzzling Caboose.

"Oh, yeah..." Caboose grinned.

"Think ya kin make their cabin soundproof, Discord?" Big Red asked.

"Consider it done." Discord nodded.

After making sure they had fresh food and water for the journey back, the group all had their dinner and turned in for the night. Outside the airship, Discord and Isis lay on the grass, gazing at the stars. Discord was holding Isis' claw, and could feel a tiny tremor in it.

"Nervous?" Discord asked.

"A little." Isis nodded. "To return to the surface world after so long... So much must have changed. I hope it's not too much for me."

"You'll be fine." Discord assured her. "I went through the same thing when I was freed from my statue. But I managed to adapt. And I know you can too."

"As long as I have you, Dissy." Isis beamed.

"And you always have." Discord declared. "I promise, nothing will ever come between us again. Not even your overbearing brother."

"You're the sweetest." Isis sighed.

The two shared a brief kiss, before returning to watching the stars, huddled together as close as they could. Their minds both raced with the possibilities yet to come.

The next morning, the group were performing their final pre-flight efforts. Discord and Isis were helping in any way they could.

"This is it." Isis smiled. "Not long now."

"Yep." Discord nodded. "We'll be back to good ol' terra firma soon."

At that point, Osiris chose to descend upon them.

"Good morning, all." He declared.

"Yeah, morning." Discord glared.

"So glad you'll be joining us." Daring added contemptuously.

"I can tell." Osiris said flatly. "But I'm coming along on this trip to help keep Isis safe. You can't fault me for that."

"Wanna bet?" Big Red snorted.

"I, for one, welcome your presence, Osiris." Shine smiled. "Having both you and Isis here will make for a most interesting return trip."

"Thank you, Prince Shine." Osiris smiled. "It's good to know at least one of you wants me here..."

"You can't blame us." Caboose pouted. "Nopony likes a tagalong."

"I prefer to think of myself as a chaperone." Osiris declared. "Are we ready to go yet?"

"Almost." Isis answered. "Just a couple of minor things, then we can leave."

"Excellent." Osiris nodded.

"Um, question..." Eclipse frowned. "Aren't you concerned at all that you, Death itself, is going to be out in the open? I mean, one look at you and Isis, and ponies are going to have hissy fits."

"Don't you worry, child." Osiris chuckled. "Isis and I have prepared for such a contingency. Observe."

Suddenly, he let out his trademark demonic roar as his body glowed, blinding everyone.

"You know, you guys really oughta dim down your transformation light thingie." Caboose covered his eyes.

"Yeah, we don't really have that feature." Isis snarked.

"Too bad for us." Daring cringed.

After another moment of intense light, the glare faded. The group uncovered their eyes, and were shocked to find in Osiris's place, none other than a big black and brown furred Griffon with a golden beak. His purple eyes glowed slightly.

"Whoa... Osiris, is that you?" Shine gaped.

"You like it?" Osiris, the Griffon, smirked. "Each and every Deity is strictly required to have a disguise spell in case the worst comes to the worst. I chose to become a Griffon because they are powerful, dignified creatures. They are also splendidly intimidating, and highly capable flyers."

"So true." Eclipse smirked. "Maybe Shine was right about you being a decent guy..."

"What about you, Isis?" Globe asked, turning to Isis. "Do you have a disguise?"

"Indeed, little one." Isis smiled. "Watch and-"

"Actually, let's not. We'll have our eyes burned out at this rate." Huckleberry frowned.

Isis underwent her own transformation, producing a roar almost as loud as Osiris', before unleashing a blast of blue light.

"Here we go again." Daring sighed.

"Knew Ah shoulda packed sunblock..." Big Red frowned.

When the light faded, a Pegasus mare with a white coat, blue mane, green eyes, and a Cutie Mark of a spiral stood in Isis' place.

"Well, what do you think?" She asked.

"Wow." Discord beamed. "You look... wonderful."

"Thanks." Isis blushed.

"A Pegasus, huh?" Shine noted. "Good choice."

"I see you share the same fondness for winged beings your brother does." Daring noted.

"You could say that." Isis nodded. "Pegasi were the first ponies I saw up close, so it seemed appropriate to take on this form."

"Look at you two: Travel-sized for our convenience." Caboose joked.

"Speakin' of, we oughta get goin'." Big Red declared.

"Just one last thing." Osiris declared. "Before we leave, I must repair the veil that hides this sanctuary from the outside world. It suffered quite a bit of damage when you discovered us."

"That was me!" Caboose smirked. "I ripped the veil open with the anchor! Nice shot, huh?"

"Incalculably so." Osiris declared. "It seems you have a knack for dumb luck."

"The dumbest!" Caboose smirked.

Osiris glanced upwards, his eyes glowing a deep purple. Twin beams erupted from them, impacting on the sky. The veil reappeared, glowing all sorts of colors as the tear was "welded" shut by Osiris' beams. Once the act was complete, the veil become invisible once more.

"That should do it." Osiris nodded. "The last thing we need is for some unscrupulous fellow to invade our ancestral home while we're away."

"Good thinking." Shine nodded.

"Yep." Big Red nodded. "Always lock the homestead before ya leave. It's common sense."

"Hopefully, when I return, everything will be as we left it." Osiris said solemnly.

"I'm sure it will." Isis declared.

"Of course it will." Discord smirked. "It took a lot of searching and a big piece of dumb luck just for us to find it. It's not any others will be stumbling on it any time soon!"

"As much as it pains me to admit it, you're probably right." Osiris shrugged. "No other mortals will be setting foot on this place. Not presently, at least..."

"Now that's been settled, let's finish up." Shine smiled.

"Gladly." Eclipse nodded. "Time to blow this cider stand."

"Hang in there, ladies." Huckleberry smirked. "I'm comin' home."

"I can't wait to see you again, ma..." Globe smiled.

"Everypony pitch in with the supplies." Daring urged. "We'll need all we can get for the trip home."

"We'll help." Isis smiled. "Right, Osiris?"

"Pardon?" Osiris frowned.

"You heard me." Isis told him. "You want to come on this trip, you pull your weight, like everypony else. Now, help me with some of those berry baskets and water canteens."

"Oh, fine." Osiris rolled his eyes. "Let's just get it done, so we can leave."

"My thoughts exactly." Isis nodded.

Osiris grudgingly helped his sister. Discord watched, amused by his current fealty to Isis.

"Maybe having big O around won't be such a yawner after all..." Discord smirked.

Around the same time that morning, not far from the sanctuary, the masked pony's airship burst through the clouds with all the patience and grace of a swan. The same could not be said of its master, though:

"What is taking so long?!" The masked pony roared, slamming his head into the desk. "We should have found the blasted place by now! Do you have any idea how far off schedule we are?"

"I beg your forgiveness, sire." The head scientist bowed. "We did not account for so much magical resistance in these parts."

"Excuses, excuses!" The masked pony snarled. "I'm not interested in excuses! I want results! And if I don't get results, you'll be getting a one-way trip to the ground!"

"Sir, please! You must understand, you are looking for the Deities of Life and Death here!" The scientist blubbered. "For all we know, they might be a myth-GAH!"

The head scientist choked a bit as the masked pony used his magic to lift him by his neck.

"You listen, and you listen good, you little twit!" The masked pony growled. "This is real! The great Serpent Dieties of Life and Death are real! And I will find them, or I swear to Faust, I will start offing you fools, one by one! Either give me something to go on or I swear-"

Suddenly, the compass-like needle of the magic detector started to sway wildly, point in the direction of the sanctuary. It lit up brightly as it did. The masked pony, in shock, dropped the scientist and rushed over to the compass.

"This... does this mean what I think it means?" The masked pony asked, turning to the scientist.

"It does, sire." The head scientist nodded, rubbing his throat. "All that magic being detected in a single direction can only mean one thing; We've found it at last!"

"About bucking time." The masked pony spat. "Now, we can finally begin the next step; Harnessing the ultimate power for my own. Soon, the might of the Forefathers will have no equal! Full speed ahead, captain!"

"Yes, sir!" The captain nodded, throwing the wheel into a spin.

The airship turned in the direction of the sanctuary, heading toward it at full speed.