• Published 27th Nov 2015
  • 975 Views, 15 Comments

The Decline and Fall of West Equestria: Twilight's Tale - StormLuna



Equestria has been split into two separate nations. Things quickly deteriorate in West Equestria and public unrest forces two princesses to abdicate, leaving one to protect the land. Can her magic stave off evil or will the nation fall?

  • ...
10
 15
 975

Problems in Ponyville

Three months had passed since Luna defected and ponies across West Equestria were now beginning to feel the effects of the nation splitting. Because of shortages of some products and resources, prices of certain items began to go up, this included everything from hay to silver. The value of the West Equestrian Bit began to decline against other global currencies, especially the East Equestrian Bit so no matter where we had to import from, prices were higher than they used to be. While your ordinary citizens in Equestria were hurting, even the gentry and nobility up in Canterlot were finding it hard to maintain the lifestyle they had been used to for centuries.


On most mornings I am woken up by the sun shining in my window but one morning was different. It was not the sun nor was it the crow of a rooster. Somepony had thrown a brick through my window! Tied to it was a note that read,

"Princess Twilight,

You and Princess Celestia promised that you would work to make things better for West Equestria but things are getting worse, much worse. I along with many other ponies here in Ponyville demand answers!

Sincerely,

An Extremely Unhappy Ponyville Resident"

This caused me to turn pale. Spike noticed this and asked, "Twilight, are you ok? You look like you've seen a ghost."

I pointed my hoof to the window, handed Spike the note and replied, "No Spike, I am not ok. The economy is really going downhill and everypony is getting really upset."

We both heard shouting coming from outside. After having a brick thrown through my window I was not hungry so I headed out to my balcony where I was greeted with boos. Before me stood a crowd that was angry, very angry. Some had torches and pitchforks while others tried to charge the castle doors. Luckily I have guards who know what to do in these types of situations. I looked out upon them and shouted, "Please calm down so we can talk."

Filthy Rich, who had become much colder towards me since we met with Starlight yelled, "Calm down? How the hay are we supposed to calm down when we are suffering financially. Some ponies are even having to shut down their businesses because YOU AND CELESTIA haven't done anything to improve the economy!"

The crowd shouted, "Here, here!"

I replied, "Listen, there isn't much I can do. I know Celestia has sent crews out to explore for natural resources such as iron and coal. Mining this stuff and getting it ready for consumption takes time. Celestia is doing as much as she can."

A pony in the crowd yelled, "You ALWAYS say that."

I replied, "And it is always the truth. Things don't happen overnight. Give it time and soon everything will be fine."

The crowd began to boo me again and rocks began to be fired at my castle by the unicorns. Yes, even though I had palace guards some ponies had the audacity to fire rocks at the castle, some aimed for me. I quickly rushed inside and was greeted by Spike. He asked, "Twilight, I take it things did not go well?"

I replied, "No Spike." I began to sob, "I never imagined things would turn out like this, I never imagined that the ponies in this town would turn against me."

Spike asked, "What about your friends? Why haven't they been here much in the past couple of weeks?"

I replied, "Because of the threat of them being attacked. There are always a few ponies out there that are ready to attack anypony who comes to the castle."

Spike suggested, "Well perhaps you could always fly over to Sweet Apple Acres and everypony could gather there. Nopony has anything against Applejack."

I replied, "Spike, you're a genius. We could do that and besides, everypony knows not to trespass onto Sweet Apple Acres."

Spike said, "Now that's the Twilight I know so well."

I replied, "Well let's get going. I can go over there and maybe we could have Apple Bloom go round everypony up. I just want to be able to hang out with my friends without them being in danger."

Spike and I headed to my balcony. I levitated him onto my back and we headed off towards Sweet Apple Acres. I could hear the crowd booing and calling me a coward but I didn't care.


Very quickly we arrived at Sweet Apple Acres where we were greeted by Applejack. She rushed to me and said, "Twilight, I've been so worried about you. Are you ok?"

I sighed, "Not really. I haven't been able to leave the castle much because of the protesters and I haven't invited any of you over because I am worried that you might get attacked."

Applejack asked, "Twilight, why is all this happening? When you first became a princess, everypony loved you more than anything."

I replied, "I know. I am sure it was the split of the nation and the fact that the economy is getting worse is why not just Celestia, but all of the royals are facing pressure and losing support."

Applejack asked, "Do y'all think that is why Luna abdicated and went with Starlight? Do you think she saw all of this coming and didn't want to deal with it?"

I replied, "No, I think it was just a matter of her and Celestia growing apart and a desire for full power. Starlight offered to help her get it so she gladly went with her. Starlight told her that she could be Queen Luna of The Equine Empire and she defected."

Applejack gasped, "Wait a minute Twilight, you were talking about the royals losing support. Do you think you and Celestia might get overthrown?, that some other form of government might rise?"

I hugged Applejack and began to sob, "I don't think so but anything is possible in this new era."

Apple Bloom heard me crying and ran into the barn. She asked, "Princess Twilight, what is wrong? Why are you crying?"

I cried, "Because everypony is turning against me and I can't even have my friends safely come over to the castle anymore." I calmed down a bit and asked, "Apple Bloom, could you go and round up the rest of my friends. We should all be able to talk here without any problems."

Apple Bloom nodded and headed off to get the rest of my friends. While she was doing this angry townsponies began to gather around the entrance to the apple farm. While this scared me it infuriated Applejack. She galloped out and yelled, "Y'all get away from my farm!"

One of the ponies yelled, "We know Princess Twilight is here and we have a bone to pick with her. We need to speak with her now!"

Naturally this brought Big Mac to the rescue. When he arrived he was giving them a death glare and uncharacteristically yelled, "You heard my sister, get off of our farm!"

Both of them were snorting and getting ready to charge. While Applejack alone did not bother them too much, they knew that together Applejack and Big Mac would likely injure them so they headed back home. Applejack said, "Thank you Big Mac, I don't know what I'd do without y'all."

Big Mac simply nodded and said, "Eeyep!"

Ten minutes later Apple Bloom returned with my friends. Rarity ran up to me, hugged me and said, "Twilight darling, it is so good to see you! It feels like it has been forever."

I replied, "I know. Things have been very stressful and uncharacteristically dangerous here lately."

Fluttershy asked, "Why is everypony acting like this? Why are they so mad?"

Pinkie added, "Yeah, why are they being such meany-meany-mean hooves to you?"

I sighed, "Well I think that the deteriorating economy has a lot to do with it. There are shortages of some things, the price of everything is going through the roof and some ponies are even blaming Celestia and myself for Luna's defection."

Fluttershy asked, "Why?"

I replied, "Well throughout the entire history of Equestria, Celestia has always been considered the primary princess. That is what caused Luna to turn into Nightmare Moon so long ago and the fact that she is not treated as an equal now is what probably caused her to leave." I sighed and continued, "But Starlight Glimmer had a ton to do with it. She continually pounded the point home to Luna that she is not treated like an equal until she agreed to go back east with her."

Rainbow shouted, "Well let's go kick Starlight's flank and force Luna to come back!"

I replied, "Rainbow, we can't do that. Like I have said before, Starlight said that if anypony crosses that border she will consider it an act of war and invade."

Rainbow sighed, "Oh alright. I still wish there was a way we could make her pay for everything she's done."

Before I could say anything else, *BELCH!* Spike coughed up a message from Celestia. It read,

"Princess Twilight,

Could you come up to Canterlot as soon as possible? There are things going on and events have happened that we really need to discuss. Fly as high as you possibly can when you get to Canterlot so you won't get hit with rocks and please come alone, I don't want Spike being put in danger. I hope to see you soon.

Princess Celestia"

Spike asked, "Twilight, why do you think Celestia wants you to go alone?"

I replied, "I have a feeling that the protests there are turning violent. You know how the upper class ponies get when they can't live life as comfortably as possible."

Spike asked, "Do you want me to send a reply to the princess?"

I replied, "Yes, tell her I am on my way."

While Spike was sending the message I took off towards Canterlot. Luckily I did not receive any negative attention as I was leaving town but I had a bad feeling that the same would not be true upon my arrival in Canterlot. From the sounds of Celestia's letter, things up there are likely far worse than they are in Ponyville so I had to be careful.