• Published 18th Jun 2015
  • 970 Views, 69 Comments

Life Could Be A Dream - TheAmazingMe



A tale from the perspective of Life Story; A writer, worrier, and woefully ill-prepared unicorn.

  • ...
 69
 970

Night Life

Author's Note:

*chapter updated 12-25-17

"I've never been to Delmaneco's. What do I wear?" I asked Div as I stared at my closet. Luckily Div got off early to help me put together something suitable for a dinner at one of the most historic restaurants in Canterlot. My closet was bare; I had about five white button up shirts and a clip-on tie. The outfit from yesterday was at the dry cleaners.

"I don’t think you're going to find the answer in there." Div sighed.

"What about those outfits from yesterday?" I turned around as I asked.

Div shook his head. "I looked through them last night. Nothing good enough for an interview at a historic restaurant."

I shifted on my hooves nervously. "What am I going to do?"

Div rested a hoof on my shoulder and made eye contact. "Breathe. I told you I looked things over last night. Well, Momma Pro told me to bring you this. She's been working on it for you for a while, apparently."

I was shocked. Progetta di Volare was a master seamstress. She designed for some of the best aerialist ponies of the last twenty years. I knew she'd gotten into tailoring and design when she retired alongside her wife, Amore di Volare. But to think that Div's mother had spent time tailoring an outfit for me? Unbelievable.

Div reached into his saddlebag and produced a large, flat red box. I swallowed around the lump in my throat.

"How did she get my measurements?" I finally managed to say as I levitated the box over to my bedside.

"I've always kind of wondered. It's her own little trick. She can eyeball measurements. I've never seen her get it wrong." I thought for a bit. The last time I'd seen Mamma Pro had been only a few weeks ago. Had she been looking at me more often than usual?

"Open it! Open it! Mamma made me swear not to peek until you got it. I'm excited!" Div insisted. I smiled at his anticipation; I was excited too. I levitated the top off and neatly folded back the tissue covering the clothing inside.

Folded neatly inside lay what I could only call a treasure. On top, an exquisite white suit jacket with black accents and hoofkerchief. Underneath, a charcoal gray vest, a rich black dress shirt, and a necktie that matched my coat.

Div threw a foreleg around my shoulders, hugging me to his side. "What do you think?"

"I think I owe Mamma Pro a few dozen cannoli." I said, still awe-struck.

"Well, make sure to stretch out the deliveries or Ma Amore will kick your plot for fattening up her favorite filly." Div laughed. "Now let's see you put on these fancy new duds."

There was a knock on the door and Sogni answered. A delivery pony stood at the door with a small golden box. Div recognized the courier from the Triple C and spoke first.

"Oh, hey Chaser, what are you...oh duh." Div's eyes fell on the familiar brown uniform and the box in hoof. "Life, are you expecting something from Tiffineigh's?"

Tiffineigh's was the most expensive jeweler in Canterlot. They'd almost single-hoofedly popularized the diamond as a must-have classic. Or at least, that's what I learned from Stylo and Deadline.

"What? No, is there a return address?" I asked, stepping up to the door.

"Just the address of the store. If you don't mind, I need a signature. Fairly standard for a high value item," Chaser said.

Signing for it and thanking Chaser, we bid him goodbye and then went to my couch and coffee table to inspect the delivery. I opened the box, gasping at what I saw. In the box was a horn ring made of silver with a small square-cut emerald. I leaned back and held a hoof over my mouth.

"Where did this come from?" I asked.

Div shrugged. "I don't know, but it goes well with your eyes. You should wear it to Delmaneco's!"

With trepidation, I took the ring in my magic. "Wow."

***

"I feel a bit over-dressed." I admitted finally. Looking around at the other tables at Delmaneco's as we waited for our escort to Genuine's special table, I was the only one in a three-piece.

"Hush, you look far better than I expected," She admitted. Her eyes flicked up to my horn ring. "I did guess your size correctly, then."

I spluttered. "Y-you! This is from you?"

Genuine shrugged. "Consider it a gift in return for your consideration."

I reached up to take the ring off. "No, there is no way I can accept..."

She shook her head and held my hoof away from the ring. "Don't insult me in public. You need this interview, correct? Then keep my gift and make sure you write something nice. Unless you want to lose your job?"

She had me in a corner, figuratively. I'd have to return this ring eventually. If Deadline found out, it would be a disaster.

Her eyes fell back down to my suit. "I suppose you have a tailor after all?" Snapping back to attention, I belatedly remembered how Canterlot ponies behaved in high society. Sweet words to mask the poisonous tones; each pony looking out only for their own advancement. It was a wonder Celestia put up with all of that, but seeing as I hadn't ever interacted with royalty, perhaps all the tales of Celestia's kindness and mercy were just tales after all.

I put on my best fake smile. "Who doesn't in this town? I'm sure that number you're wearing didn't come off of a rack?"

"Got that right." Her accent seemed to ebb and flow. How long had she been in Canterlot that her accent had gotten so diluted? Where did that accent come from? It wasn't exactly like Stylo's, but I couldn't help but feel it was related. Well, I had to start asking questions eventually. My tide of anxiety was brimming over as we made it to the table.

I ran a hoof over my napkin. "Where are you from originally? Forgive me, but your accent is new to me."

She smiled. "Canterlot is more of a melting pot now than at any other time. I'm born and raised here in the city." She seemed as if she was going to leave it at that, glancing away. Her eyes snapped back to me just as I was thinking that she didn't answer my question. She spoke again, a bit more stiffly. "Both parents came from the outskirts of Neigh Orleans, though. I didn't go to school; my parents had me working in their restaurant from when I could pull a broom. I'm not saying I was the happiest filly in Canterlot, but I was too busy to dwell on it." She took a drink from her glass and looked away again, seemingly embarrassed by her humble origins.

I decided not to follow that line of questioning. Relaxing a bit, I continued. "How did you earn your cutie mark?" I asked.

She blinked a few times and then smiled. "Let's order first, then I'll get into that story. I don't like talking about it much and there are things I'd rather the public not know."

I nodded. "That's fair enough. It's really more of a 'get to know you' type question. When ponies open up about themselves, one finds hidden treasures."

"Open up that menu, if you want treasure 'round here." She chided.

I looked down at the menu hesitantly. Flipping it open with one hoof, I was relieved to see the menu was in a language I could understand. I was worried it would be in Prench or Bitalian. The offerings were mostly simple, with a few standout signature dishes.

"Have you ever been here before?" Genuine inquired.

I glanced up from the menu for a moment. "I haven't."

"If you will allow me, I'll make sure we both walk away satisfied." Something in her voice made me close the menu and focus on her.

"Signora Article, lovely to see you again!" An orange Pegasus with red mane and tail greeted Genuine. Erede Delmaneco was the seventh generation owner of the family business. He and his father had done a lot to improve the class and timelessness of the Canterlot landmark.

"Delmaneco! The pleasure is mine, always." She exclaimed as she stood to hug the Bitalian proprietor. Following proper etiquette, I rose with her.

Delmaneco eyed me over her shoulder. When they separated, he smiled at me. "Your taste in stallions is improving! I know a fine Bitalian suit when I see one. Who is your tailor?"

"Mam-," I stammered, about to use the nickname she'd insisted everypony use. "I mean, Signora Progetta diVolare."

"Signora diVolare? The mare who used to design flight suits?" I nodded as Delmaneco's face brightened. "She is my favorite! I grew up watching Amore's flights. Her outfits were as spectacular as her flying! I was disappointed when Amore and Progetta retired. I heard they moved here, but have been so busy with the restaurant! And, to tell the truth, it would be a dream come true to meet either of the diVolare's, let alone both."

"Delmaneco, you are making me quite jealous. This is a side of you I've not seen before." Genuine chided.

"Well, luckily I know how to make it up to you. Your dessert will be on the house. And, since I know why you're here, I have taken the liberty of making sure you get the finest Pineapple Newberg you have ever tasted." With that, Delmaneco gave Genuine a kiss on both cheeks, removed the menus, and departed.

I gestured after him. "We didn't even order..."

Genuine laughed. "Didn't you hear? Delmaneco is taking care of it. Trust the pony, he knows what he's doing."

"Now, my cutie mark?" She reminded me. I grabbed my pad, quill and inkwell and readied myself.

***

"That...was amazing." I concluded. The empty plates stood as testament to how well-planned the dinner was. No leftovers, each dish perfectly portioned so that there was room for dessert. By the end of dessert, though, I felt like I'd been stuffed.

"The dinner or the conversation?" Genuine teased.

"Both." I confirmed heartily. "I'm not sure I can move just yet."

"It's traditional to talk over drinks after dinner." Genuine announced. Whether that was a Neigh Orleans tradition or a Delmaneco's tradition, she didn't specify. I wasn't one to question it, especially with how full of good food I was. She ordered a few drinks and they were delivered by the time I gathered my notes.

I referred to my pad. "We've gone over your early years and your marriage to Fine Article. How has business been in the last few years? Is it any different now that antiques are trending?"

"There are certainly more ponies who think they know what they are doing." She answered enigmatically. "Don't quote me on that, though." I scratched that note out.

Genuine sighed. "It is more proper to say that business has been steady; collectors are always looking to expand their libraries. The antique trend has brought in quite a few new customers. Whether they will last is anypony's guess."

She leaned forward to whisper conspiratorially. "To tell you the truth, I have hidden quite a few of my more exceptional books." Leaning back with a smile, she continued. "I want my books to go to a good home, not to just be some vain trophy displayed carelessly upon a mantelpiece. You can quote me on that line at least."

"I can understand that. So this is really a passion of yours?"

"Absolutely. My husband got me hooked. He was so enamoured with the written word; it was infectious!" Genuine smiled. I had the impression that this was the first time in our conversation where the smile was completely natural. "It was...difficult when he passed."

I looked down at my notes, uncomfortable at the sudden shift in mood.

Genuine waved it away and plastered a smile back onto her face. I was sure that I could tell the difference between her real smile and her fake smile, now that I'd seen it. "Is there anything else you'd like to ask?"

"How do you think this fad will impact your business? Especially if it passes." I asked.

Genuine stirred her drink idly. "I've lived in Canterlot my whole life. There are few timeless classics. Bitalian suits, Delmaneco's, and old literature are three classics I've found. This fad gives me a bit more of a cushion for when book collectors take time to restore and curate their libraries. You have to be smart or well-connected to run a business for long in this city. I'm both." The air of confidence around Genuine was almost palpable. I gained a lot of respect for her just from how she carried herself.

"Not to be reductive, but I'm sure ponies will love your story. Everypony loves a tale of overcoming hardships."

Genuine smiled playfully. For a moment I was surprised how many smiles one pony could have and how different they all were. "What's your story, Life?"

I wasn't sure where to begin. "It's not very interesting." I demurred.

She waved dismissively. "None of that humility. I've answered your questions. Fair is fair."

"To be fair, then, could you be more specific. I don't think you want my life from birth to breakfast." I quirked a brow.

This earned another laugh. "I don't think I've heard it put that way before! Fine. Where were you born?"

"Canterlot General Hospital." I answered simply.

She pressed. "Did you attend school?"

I knew this would sound more interesting than it was. "I graduated from the School for Gifted Unicorns."

"Really? So your magic is particularly strong?" Genuine asked.

I shrugged. "Only in a few areas. I'm told my concentration, levitation and tethering are all in the top 15% of unicorns. It's not that big of a deal." I looked away as I drank.

When I looked back, Genuine was staring at me intently. Did I have something on my face? "Are you staring at me?"

She nodded. "Come with me to my shop tonight. I'd like to show you a few volumes I procured recently." She stood.

I followed suit. "Don't we need the check?"

She shook her head, I noticed how her hair moved as she did. "Delmaneco knows where to send the bill." She left a pouch of bits on the table as a tip and shooed me towards the door.

***

"A first print Whitefoal edition of Prance and Prejudice? The Canterlot Archives doesn't even have this one in such good condition!" My eyes flicked to the next book under glass. "The Little Prance by Antoine de Saint-Equupony!" I resisted the urge to dance on my hind legs. Barely. "I never thought I'd see an original in my lifetime!"

“I’m glad you enjoy such a variety. What I wanted to show you is over here.” She called from the other side of the display room. This was a private room above the show room downstairs.

I looked at the cover of the book in question and my jaw nearly fell to the glass. “Sir Neighton's Philosophiae Naturalist Principia Mathemagica? I…I've only heard of rare book collections owning the early editions. To see a first print run of one of the most influential books of modern magical study…I can’t believe it.”

“I’ve made arrangements to have the book delivered to a very special collector. I owe him a favor, but I also know he’ll treat it with the utmost respect.” Genuine said, one hoof reverently placed on the glass above the once-in-a-lifetime book.

“This has been a truly amazing night. Thank you so very much, Madam Article.” I said fervently.

She shrugged. “I need to see things through other ponies eyes occasionally. This is fairly average for me.”

“I should have what I need to make my boss happy. If you have any questions, here’s my card.” I levitated one out of my pocket. She accepted it with her hoof and fanned herself with it. “I really should be going, but thank you again.”

She escorted me to the door. Her private coach was waiting for her and I helped her inside. We bid each other good night.

I took great pains to carefully put away the new suit and got my writing equipment together. Putting together the interview article turned out to be incredibly easy with how open Genuine had been. Maybe Deadline was right to push me out of my comfort zone. My work completed, I sighed. It was nearly time for Celestial to raise the sun. I left the article out to dry and went to bed.

It truly had been a very perfect night.