• Published 18th Jun 2015
  • 967 Views, 69 Comments

Life Could Be A Dream - TheAmazingMe



A tale from the perspective of Life Story; A writer, worrier, and woefully ill-prepared unicorn.

  • ...
 69
 967

Life's Dreams Come True

I was just heading back from the bathroom at the Salt Lick when a full squad of Royal Guards showed up, in full PLHG armor.

“S-Sergeant Stone? What are you doing here?” Div looked close to panic, at least as far as I could see.

Mountain Stone, every bit as large as his name implied, stepped forward and slapped a large hoof on Div's back. “You didn’t think we’d let you get married without a proper Arch of Spears? Aside from a few two week courses, we’re all twiddling our hooves until the trip to Haven. So this’ll be great! Where’s your soon-to-be-happy little bride?”

I smirked at the happy little bride bit. Div looked ill at ease. “But I didn’t tell anyone…”

Mountain smiled. “I thought that was funny. Supply got a requisition for Spears and a few guards for a wedding. Since it was for a Royal Guard, we got the notification from them. When I saw who it was for, I decided we should deliver them personally.”

Open came up to Div’s side. I walked up next to Open. “I put in the requisition when we asked for a military chaplain. I didn’t think it would bring an entire squad down on us.” She said, smiling at Sgt. Stone.

“Open, all I wanted was the chaplain.” Military chaplains officiated for free, although it was customary to donate as generously as possible. From his tensions, I wondered why he hadn’t told them.

“Oh, come on, diVolare! You can’t be that mad to see us.” A grey-blue pony broke ranks to throw a forelimb around Div’s shoulders. Div seemed less than thrilled.

Shrugging off his comrade, Div looked around Mountain Stone, a difficult task at that, and took in how many more ponies there were. “Sir, is the whole squad here?”

“Yup.” Mountain answered simply.

“But the Arch of Spears only needs six ponies. How could I possibly pick…?” Div began. He seemed to be trying to get out of this.

Mountain turned around to face the guards and Div simultaneously. “Don’t worry, we figured it out on the way over. It’ll be myself and Harvest Moon, then Golden Touch and Cloud Lance, and finally Mixer and Battle Ready.” As he spoke, the ponies in question stepped forward, saluting with big grins. Except for Cloud Lance, who turned out to be the pony at Div’s side. All told, our arch consisted of two earth ponies, two pegasus, and two unicorns.

“You’re sure you don’t mind being left out; Gear Grinder, Astral Bolt?” Div asked the remaining ponies.

“It's your day, kid.” Gear Grinder said simply.

“Yeah, it’s more fun watching than holding a spear anyway.” Astral added, with a smirk.

“I’m sure we can find a place for you two.” Open said with a smile. Div turned a baleful glance her way.

Mountain looked at Open. “So, is this the mare? Are you going to introduce us properly, guardspony?”

I snorted. This was too good. Div was at a momentary loss for words, so I decided to help. “Div, honey,” I said, crossing in front of Open to stand at Div’s side. “You really do need to introduce me to your fellow guardsponies. We are getting married tomorrow, after all.”

My words hung in silence as the entire squad of Royal Guards looked at Div. I almost felt sorry as he wavered. Then, he took a deep breath shakily. “Um. S-sir Mountain Stone, sir, may I introduce my fiancé?” Div lifted a hoof towards me.

The other guards reacted at this. Some looked interested. Others surprised. Still others smiled. Mountain Stone looked briefly uncomfortable. “Oh, um, sorry. I meant no offence, diVolare. I didn’t know you…well. I didn’t…um.” He coughed politely and regained his composure. “Well, congratulations to you and your…spouse-to-be!”

“I’m Life Story.” I said, extending a hoof. Sgt. Stone shook it without hesitation, his smile marred only by surprise, rather than disgust. What was Div worried about? “We should get you all a round, on us!” The rest of the Squad cheered heartily.

As we celebrated, the two Bravo Squad unicorns pulled me aside. Their names eluded me. As if in answer, the male spoke. “I’m Mixer, this is Battle Ready.”

“Oh, thanks.” I said.

Battle Ready's golden eyes locked onto mine and held my attention. “Hey, so I know Div wasn’t expecting us and the Arch and all, so we wanted to make sure you were okay with one of the traditions.”

“Oh?” I asked, eloquently.

“Yeah.” Mixer chimed in. “At the end, it’s tradition to give a swat to the rear of the bri—civilian at the end of the arch. It’s silly, but it’s supposed to welcome you into the Royal Guard family.”

“Sounds fun. Don’t tell Div, but I’m fine with it.” I answered with a grin.

“Don’t tell Div?” Battle Ready asked.

“It’ll be more fun that way.” I explained.

They looked at each other and grinned. Mixer looked back at me. “This is gonna be good.”

*

Alone in our room, I spoke calmly. “Sogni.”

He hung his head contritely. “I know. I should have told them about…myself a long time ago. I just wasn’t—“

I hushed him. “No, I don’t care about that. What were you supposed to say? I love a stallion, but he’s out of town and when he comes back I’m proposing?”

He looked up hopefully.

“Tell me why you didn’t want them here.” I ordered.

He looked away, his face clouded. When he looked back, it was as if he looked out from a mask. “I thought they might object because we’re gay.”

I sat on the bed. Confrontation wasn’t my strong suit, but Div wasn’t getting away with that the day before our wedding. “I could split hairs here, but I’m going to have to call your bluff first. Tell me the truth, Div.”

He ran a hoof through his mane in irritation as he turned half away. “What do you want me to say?”

“Tell me what’s wrong. I can’t read your mind.” I crossed my forelimbs over my churning stomach.

“Look, I just wanted it to be about us. Not about me as a guard. Especially since…” He choked off his ending.

The room was deathly quiet. Even knowing it wouldn’t make either of us happy, I prodded. “Since what?”

“Forget it. There are parts about each other that we’ll never understand.” He sat where he stood.

I barely managed to get a handle on my anger; I was close to cussing him out. “I definitely don’t understand you now.”

“You really want to know?” He turned back on me, his face no longer masked, but covered in anger. “My whole life, I’ve been surrounded by these arrogant jerks. I had to deal with them at school, when I worked in the CCC, and now at work in the Royal Guard! I just wanted our wedding as free of these other ponies as possible.”

He turned away again, tears streaming down his face as he contorted in misery. I stood up from the bed, it dawning on me now. It was part of what made us friends in the first place. And he taught me how to defend myself against the pegasus bullies when we were foals. “Y-you still have a problem with pegasi?”

He exploded again. “Why wouldn’t I have a problem with them? Who bullied us the most in school? Pegasi. Who lazed around while I worked my plot off to earn a spot as a courier? Pegasi!”

I blinked a few times. “But, you were raised by…”

He cut me off and started pacing. “…One of the greatest aerialists and her designer. Ponies so drenched in the world of flight that they fought together to stay in it. And then they had me.”

I looked at him, alarmed. I’d never realized how intensely he felt. He'd never seemed more than vaguely annoyed by them. “Div, they love…”

He cut me off again, still pacing. “When I was young they carried me when we took trips to cloud cities like Cloudsdale and Cavallenice. When I got older, we couldn’t go anymore.”

The thought was out of my mouth before I could stop it. “It sounds more like you wish you were a pegasus.” I covered my mouth with my hooves.

Div looked angrier than I’d ever seen him. He stopped in his tracks, wheeled around and squared off towards me. “You…!” His eyes clouded over. He looked down again, the wind knocked once more from his sails. “You're right.”

Somehow, I didn’t feel any better. “Div, I—“

He cut me off. “I was a mistake, Life. My parents just stumbled onto me and took me in without thinking. The best thing that happened to them was when I was old enough to stay home alone.”

“Sogni DiVolare!” Amore’s voice rang out from behind him. Neither of us heard the door open. I wondered how long she’d been there.

Div wheeled around in horror. Catching Ma Amore’s stern look, he looked down at the floor, ashamed.

“You think…” She stepped into the room, looking ready to knock Div's head into the floor. “You think we ever regretted adopting you?” He couldn’t look at her and he seemed too emotional to answer.

She lifted his head up and looked deep into his eyes. “We love you, mio cavallino. We wouldn’t trade you for all of the cloud cities in all of the world. I’m sorry you ever felt like we would.” She hugged him around the neck. “Tu sei un dono del cielo. You are a gift from the heavens, Sogni. Sei l'stallone dei miei sogni. You are the stallion of my dreams.”

“It's not that, ma. I just...I wished I could have joined you in those trips when I was older. I'm sorry, ma.” He said as he pulled back.

She brushed through his mane with one hoof. “Your heart is weighed down by this hatred for those of my kind who were horrible to you. You must let that hatred go. Especially if you are to give your heart to another.” She looked at me.

“Now stand up straight and answer me.” He complied, naturally setting into perfect guard posture. “Do you want the Arch of Spears or no?”

“I think it would be good.” Div turned to me. “You don’t mind that my whole squad is here?”

I shrugged. “Open already planned on including them. Really, it’s only two ponies extra. Are you going to be okay with four more pegasi?”

He looked at Amore, who lifted a brow. “I have to try. If I want to be somepony worthy of you, I need to work on my issues.”

I stood up and embraced him. “Me too, love. Let’s do it together?”

Amore snorted. Div and I broke the hug to give her a look. She waved a hoof as she exited. “I will leave you both to do it, then!”

I facehoofed. “Ma! Not like that!”

"Huh. Our mothers are both gutter-brained." Div remarked.

*

My parents, Bruiser, and I made it to the chapel several hours early. Gear Grinder and Astral Bolt ended up as ushers. They’d actually brought ceremonial armor so they looked impressive, if a little intimidating. Both ponies stood outside the double doors leading into the chapel in their dark purple armor bearing the mark of the Lunar Princess.

“Div’s here.” Gear Grinder informed me as we approached the small chapel.

“Is he inside the chapel or in his waiting room?” Mom asked.

“Hang on, I’ll check.” Astral said, poking her head in to talk to one of the ponies inside. Everypony seemed intent to keep tradition by keeping Div and I separate. It was hell for my nerves, I had to keep reminding myself to breathe.

“Are you nervous, Dad?” Bruiser asked, no doubt noticing my increasingly strained posture. I looked at him, his suit hanging in a bag perched precariously on his back. I sighed and fixed the bag before it fell off.

Inhaling, I cleared my head. Letting the breath out, I answered. “Big day. It’s very important to me that things go well.”

“Everything will be fine.” Dad reassured me. He’d been volunteered as a pack-horse. Mother loaded him up with my suit, my ring for Div, several tissue boxes, mom’s dress, and a few more odds and ends. Mom checked him over at least three times before we left.

Astral Bolt turned back around. “Div just finished rehearsing his walk again and is back in his waiting area. All clear, citizen!” Astral reported, grabbing a door handle. With a look at Gear, the two opened the double doors in unison.

The chapel had been done up in deep purple and white, with silver crescent and golden quill highlights. Except for Open, the chaplain and the Royal Guards, we had the place to ourselves. Open walked briskly down the aisle to greet us.

“Perfectly on time. Excellent. Div just finished up his run-through and everything looks great.” Open looked calm and collected. I wished I could feel half as composed as she looked.

“I'll say!” I agreed. “You’ve outdone yourself, Open. I owe you—“

Open cut me off with a kind laugh. “Oh, Ly, let’s not get into how much you owe me. This is your day.”

I pulled her into a hug. “Remind me why I’m not marrying you?”

She laughed and pulled away. “For starters, I’d never settle for such a simple wedding?”

“This is simple?” I asked incredulously, indicating our rather well-decorated surroundings. The question earned me knowing glances from my mom, dad, and Open.

Dad patted my shoulder. “C’mon son. Just be thankful you’re not marrying a mare.” He grinned at mom’s scowl. I actually laughed, in spite of my nerves.

*

“Okay. Now that you’re ready, let’s go over it one last time.” Open directed. “The Royal Guards are in place, Div made his entrance, and the musician does the flourish…”

I stepped forward with the wrong forehoof, noticed halfway through, tried to correct myself, tripped on my own hoof, and hit the ground with a grunt.

Mom facehoofed. Dad shook his head and spoke. “He really does take after you, Lovely.”

Mom looked at him crossly. “Second, are you going to make jokes all day?”

He snorted. “Guess I shouldn’t show you my reception toast speech.”

“I saw your notes! If you think you’re going to get away with making that awful golfing joke, I’ll shove your own hooves down your throat!”

I groaned on the ground, hoping to garner a modicum of attention. Alas, no. “There’s no room down my throat! You’ve been jumping down it all day!” Dad replied.

Open came to my rescue. “Mr. and Mrs. Story, back to starting positions. Life, up and at ‘em, stud.” She lent me a hoof and I got up gracelessly and dejected.

Noticing the change in atmosphere, Open barked. “Happy smiling faces everypony! Life, lead with your right, double-step if you screw it up again. Lovely, this isn’t one of your romance novels, loosen up a bit and have fun. Second, take this a bit more seriously, with any luck this’ll be the only time your child will get married. Am I being clear?”

My parents looked properly chastened. They replied together. “Yes, ma'am.”

Open looked at me. I shook my head and smiled. “Yes, Open.”

*

The real deal. Walking down the aisle. So many ponies actually showed up in this rustic locale. Braeburn and the sheriff. Hard Deadline and Stylo Puissant from work. Crimson Cross from the writing group. Quill, the griffon gallery owner from Vanhoover. And, smiling brightly with what looked to be two healthy wings, Velocity Windwing from Whinnyappolis.

I glance up at the altar and there he is. I love him so much in this moment I want to run to him. The rest of the room seems to melt away and it’s just him. It’s just me getting closer to him. Just his face, so happy he’s actually got tears in his eyes and I blink and realize my tears are flowing down my face. As I stand next to him, we both turn to grab tissues for each other. We turn around and reach out, and then we laugh. There’s other ponies laughing, I’m dimly aware, but I keep my eyes on him.

“Dearly Beloved, we are gathered here today before this wonderful assemblage of ponies to celebrate the love of two ponies. Usually, when a family starts with a foal before a marriage the groom stands before me under penalty of death. This is a first for me; I have a groom standing before me under penalty of Life.” The chaplain paused for the polite laughter. Div glanced at me and grinned.

“Life Story and Sogni DiVolare, love is an amazing force of nature. It would take a fool not to see that force in both your eyes. You grew up from foalhood together as friends. That relationship hasn’t been taken away. As you stand before me today, you both will agree to add onto that friendship a new layer. Both of you will fortify this addition with the oath of matrimony. This oath, if honored and cherished, will last your whole lives and, I’d like to believe, beyond this mortal existence.

“At this time, we will hear from the grooms, first Life Story and then Guardspony diVolare.”

I cleared my throat. I’d insisted on going first; I knew that Sogni’s vows would likely get me crying beyond the ability to talk. “Sogni, my oldest friend, my protector, my love and my heart. I didn’t know when we were young just how much you would mean to me, but now I wouldn’t trade you for all of Equestria. You have seen me at my best and at my worst. When I felt unlovable, you proved me wrong. When I felt too scared to move forward, you quieted my racing mind. When I felt worthless, you held me up like the world’s greatest treasure. I may never be able to repay you, but I am honored to have the rest of my life trying. I love you…with all of my heart, body and mind.”

“Now, Guardspony diVolare.”

“I, uh, didn’t prepare anything here.” I leaned my head against his chest, face burning as those in attendance smothered giggles. “I did that on purpose, Life. I sound horrible scripted and finding the right words to encapsulate the depth of my love for you would take a lifetime. And I’m going to start now.

“Life, my best friend, my confidant, my love and my heart. If somepony said a year ago that I’d be standing here on the threshold of the rest of our lives together, I’d have told them to kiss a cockatrice. You've given me so much and you’re too noble to claim the responsibility; but you have claimed my heart. When I knew I loved you, but didn’t know how to tell you, I felt like a Pony dying of thirst with a river nearby. When I felt useless, you came to me with your problems and I forgot my own. When I felt like my hooves would fall off, seeing you gave me strength. You are the greatest treasure I will ever obtain. You are my sweetest dream come to life. I love you, beyond doubt and without regret.”

“Would the ring-bearers step forward?” The chaplain said.

Bruiser stepped up to my side. Sgt. Stone stood at Div’s side. We took our rings for each other from our respective bearers.

“Guardspony diVolare. Do you promise to honor this stallion, to guard his heart carefully, to hold him above all others, and to keep him in your heart from this time forward?”

His eyes never left mine. “I do.” He slipped the ring over my hoof to join the engagement band and locked them together.

“Life Story. Do you promise to honor this stallion, to guard his heart carefully, to hold him above all others, and to keep him in your heart from this time forward?”

“I do.” I slid the wedding band over his hoof with my own hooves. Frankly, I didn’t trust my magical ability at the moment and as things were my hooves were shaky.

“Then, by the power vested in me by the Kingdom of Equestria, I pronounce you husbands. You may—“ I couldn’t wait any longer. I pulled him in and kissed him passionately, before the chaplain could finish.

“—yeah, that.” The chaplain said with a laugh. I’m sure the others were laughing too, but I didn’t care. All that mattered were his lips on mine.

The Arch of Spears formed with military precision on the steps outside the chapel door. Sgt. Stone called out the orders with a voice as proportionately loud as he was large.

We kissed again and passed under the Arch of Spears with solemnity. Behind us, the bearers lowered their spears until the butts were just above the ground. As we exited, Battle Ready followed tradition and gave me a swat. “Welcome to the Royal Guard.” Div looked shocked. His expression was a hilarious mixture of embarrassment and nervousness.

I laughed and pulled him in for another kiss as our wedding carriage drew close. As we parted, I smiled. “Got you good.”

“You’re a horrible pony and I love you.” He said, shaking his head.

Author's Note:

Special thanks to Anzel for Mountain Stone, Mixer for Mixer, Dorei for Battle Ready, **Beert for Cloud Lance, Pastcat for Golden Touch, Cyrix-FiM for Astral Bolt, and Listener for Gear Grinder.

The sequel is underway! Click Me for Life on the Line!

Comments ( 7 )

I will do my best Shining Armor impression : "Wedding scene always make me cry"

Great job :) I really loved the vows!

A cute end to a cute story.

And unbeknownst to all, a thought occurred in a certain green unicorn's mind as the procession began:

"If this wedding gets attacked by changelings, at least we aren't carrying the traditional decorative spears of the Griffon state ceremonies. They're far too unbalanced to efficiently attack with unless you can lift them magically. And for this, I thank Equestria for favoring function over form."

6752388 Sometimes smart ponies react in...questionable ways. Nopony's perfect.

This was so friggen adorable, oh my gosh.

Overall, this story was cute and I enjoyed the characters, for the most part, however:
-None of the conflicts really felt real. They were resolved too quickly, in my opinion.
-I would have liked to see more of Life travelling Equestria and struggling to keep his identity secret, but most of that was pretty much skipped, and it seemed as if he was giving up his identity to everyone.
-Life's close relationship with Open Schedule doesn't feel real, probably because you skipped a lot of the time they spent together. I would have liked to see more of that.
-Some more time before he had to go undercover would have been nice, especially for more screen time with Div and possibly Life's parents. I would have liked to have seen how close Life and Div were, rather than to be told.
-Life's mutual feelings for Bruiser don't seem believable. They would have had to have more time together to be so close, I think. Either that, or Life would have had to save Bruiser from a bigger threat. That conflict could definitely have been more interesting than it was.

8799509
Thank you! I was definitely in the mood for fluff and cute when I wrote a lot of Div and Life.

9078572
Thanks for the feedback!

Login or register to comment