• Published 20th Jun 2015
  • 1,752 Views, 56 Comments

Octavia Crashes a Party and Wins a Roomate - ChaseTheChangeling



What would you do if your favorite musician was in town and throwing a party? You would go right? But what if you had no money? What would you do then?

  • ...
3
 56
 1,752

Last Friday Night

With a slight stir, Octavia sighed and hugged close the warm mass that lay snugly on her belly, her back cradled by a large plush cushion. It was foreign, she never had any stuffed animals in her home.... well none that she ever had in her bed. Then again... this wasn't her bed. With a small groan, they grey mare turned her head and slowly cracked open a heavy eyelid to observe her surroundings. Well, it was dark, and that was to be expected. But there was something else. There was a smell. The smell that permeated her home was that of sweat and booze. As her eyes adjusted to the lack of light, she could make out two figures well. There was a purple and blue stallion snuggled up in an armchair diagonally across the coffee table form her, a large crystal jar of candies in his hooves. Above the cellist on the other couch was a sky blue mare, her brown mane tossed about wildly, snoring lightly under a blanket of newspapers. But on the love seat directly across from the mare, there was a woolen blanket that had been abandoned. Who had been there? Who all was here last night? Beauty, Harpo, and.... Fredric? Yes... he had been here.... but where was Vinyl?

"Mornin' beautiful..." came a groggy whisper from the soft mass. Octavia looked down to see Vinyl looking back at her, glasses off, and her smile small, but cocky.

"Oh hush you... what happened last night...." Octavia's voice trailed off as she looked over the room, and quickly back at Vinyl, "Did I do something I'm going to regret?"

"Aside from pass out in the middle of a heated game of Truth or Dare? Nah.... well.... you did almost get into a fight with Fredric over something... uh... a kiss I think." Vinyl chuckled, "That was pretty funny...."

"Don't laugh!" Octavia whined, a petty blush on her muzzle. How could Vinyl just make fun of her like this?

"Ugh... let me think...." Vinyl tapped her horn, shuddering from the feeling. It was always a weird feeling, touching a horn after sleeping, like being exposed to noise after hours of silence. "Hmmm....."

"I'm not going to ask what you're doing.... or why you've decided to do it while laying on me...." Octavia's tone was slightly dangerous, but more cautiously annoyed than angry.

"It's nothing weird." Vinyl said quickly before adding more slowly, "But you wanted to know what happened right?" Octavia gave a simple nod at Vinyl's question. "Well, we should go grab something to eat and drink first... I'm a bit...." Vinyl stopped to let out a strong belch, "yup..."

"Well... I guess."

Vinyl lifted from the soft warmth of Octavia's chest and belly, her body becoming cold after abandoning it. Vinyl snickered lightly as she saw that Octavia's fur was slightly matted from sweat and the small writhing that had occurred during their slightly restless sleep, likely due to the growing heat of being so close for so long. The thought made Vinyl shudder a bit a tingling in her legs, and a small blush that tickled her nose, but it could have been the cold of her belly being exposed, her own sweat chilling in the dry air, and missing the embrace.

'Keep tellin' yourself that, Vinyl,' the disheveled unicorn mumbled to herself as she turned, following the cellist around the eerily silent house. All was silent aside from the sounds of ponies snoring, their heavy breathing not synchronized with anything in particular. Chances they were in time to their corresponding dreams. Vinyl then wondered what other ponies dreamed about. What had Octavia dreamed about last night? Vinyl felt slightly giddy as she thought about Octavia dreaming about her, but that thought was, again, quickly shot down as soon as it came. There were more important things to worry about. Besides, that would be a bit narcissistic to think Octavia would dream of Vinyl.

"You look deep in thought..." Octavia began groggily, her own voice causing her to wince from the sudden volume from silence. Vinyl shook her head quickly, holding her hoof out to signal Octavia to lead. The grey mare just shrugged and lead the way to the bedroom.

The two mares quietly moved about the home, avoiding loud floor boards and walls, their hooves dancing seamlessly about the halls until they finally reached the bedroom. Octavia gathered a few things, being mindful of the hole left in the floor by Vinyl's horn. Vinyl, however, stopped to look at the hole and winced, a low groan escaping her despite her efforts to hide it.

"What is it?" Octavia asked quietly, not turning from the dresser as she fished out a nice clean pink bow.

"I'm just trying to remember how much that must have hurt..."

You hitting your horn and plowing it through my wooden floor?" Octavia stopped to put on her tie before continuing. "If unicorn horns are anything like I've read in my roman-..." a small blush overcame her muzzle as she thought about a cover for her obvious fluke. "...Text books.... then it must have hurt a lot, especially considering you passed out after the fall."

"Yeah...." Vinyl wasn't sure if Octavia knew that she had heard what she intended to say or not, but it would most likely be best if Vinyl just acted as if it had never happened. "Well, we should be going... it's... noon?!"

"Is it? Well, let's go!" Octavia grabbed hold of Vinyl's forehoof and rushed out the door, disregarding the sleeping ponies in the living room who stirred angrily at the sudden noise, Beauty even threw a rather harsh swear their way before being cut off by the front door slamming. It was only a short walk until they would reach Sugar Cube Corner.

--------------------------------

"Are you going to tell me now?" Octavia asked again. It had been the tenth time since they left the little town home that Octavia insisted on asking this repetitive question. Vinyl only shrugged, her eyes looking tired and dark from behind her purple shades.

The town was about as dead as Vinyl felt, the streets mostly bare, and the vendors all staying quiet, almost as if they had all known that the unicorn was hungover. The sun sat high in the sky, not a single cloud blocking it, and it seemed odd that such a lovely day was so quiet. Not a single sound could be heard. As if they were in purgatory, but there were NPC's just standing around. It was surreal. Vinyl finally lifted her gaze a bit more, seeing the lively bakery off in the distance, about a few yards away.

"Well.... how about now? It's as good a time as any, right?" Octavia tried with a sheepish smile. Vinyl only sighed, her brow sagging heavily over her eyes, pricked with beads of sweat, and her skin seemingly turning read. Octavia's exasperation for Vinyl's avoidance soon waned as she observed that in this heat, and with the light reflecting from the sweat, Vinyl's body seemed to sparkle under the sunlight. Octavia didn't bother to mention anything about it. It would be for the best to just not say anything.

As the pair finally made their way into the front of Sugar Cube Corner, Vinyl did not hesitate to dodge the sunlight and dip into the cool building and shaking the sweat sticking to her fur. Octavia followed un-phased by the display and trotted into the shop, going up to the counter and giving a slightly tired smile. The smell of freshly made ice cream and sugary sweets radiated from the kitchen, Octavia was sure it was due to the mid day rush, they would have to restock every so often, especially any of the really good stuff.

From behind the counter, a blur of purple sprung up, a wide smile on her muzzle. The purple pegasus was still here, her name tag reading "Jessie" just as it did during their first encounter, however, there was a last initial on it. The name tag now read "Jessie N.", instead of the simple first name Octavia had learned the previous visit.

"What does the 'N' stand for?" Octavia queried, receiving only a small chuckle from the smiling mare.

"Don't worry about it, were you planning to order anything?" Jessie had procured a note pad and pencil from under the counter, a place that Octavia decided was nothing but Hammer Space at this point, and stood by, ready for the order.

"Uhm... How about a simple coffee and a muffin?" Octavia said slowly, her hoof to her chin. Vinyl finally made her way over to the counter, her eyes moving over the menu that hung above the pegasus. Jessie didn't bother to ask, instead waiting for the unicorn to point something out. Vinyl soon proved the mare right by pointing to a root beer float and a cupcake called the Sugar Rush. The cupcake was pink and had large candies in it, anything from gummy worms to crumbled cookies, and beside it was a complimentary shot of something almost worse than the cupcake. The shot was called "A Salted Battery".

"You want the A Salted Battery with that?" Jessie asked scribbling away at the paper. Vinyl nodded and rubbed her hooves eagerly.

"What exactly is the A Salted Battery?" Octavia asked, sure that she was going to get an answer she wasn't ready to hear.

"It's a drink that is served in a metal shot glass, the rim is salted, and the drink contains pure sugar melted and mixed with corn syrup, another layer of sugar caramelized, and candy sprinkles with three concentrated shots of espresso."

"Celestia help me...."

------------------------------

"So... Vinyl.... aside from the events of last night... I did want to ask you something."

Octavia and Vinyl had found a seat outside, the sun still peaking out and laying the town in a layer of drastic heat and dry air, but the two mares sitting at the table couldn't care less. Vinyl lifted her eyes to meet with the perfect purples of the cellist, her grey fur glowing in the sunlight. Vinyl was nearly drooling as her eyes scanned over the beautiful mare, her long jet mane laying over her shoulders and brushing past in the light breeze.

"-That's why I'm worried about last night... and about next week."

Vinyl soon realised that she had missed all of what Octavia was saying. 'Was it something important? Should I ask? Would she be upset if I wasn't listening?'

"Vinyl, my eyes are up here..." Octavia's voice cut through Vinyl's focused gaze, that gaze that was heavily focused on her chest and trailing slowly down to her hips. Vinyl looked back up to see Octavia was sporting a very annoyed looked, quickly defied by the huge blush on her muzzle.

"Uhm... sorry..." was all Vinyl had to say in her defense.

"Anyway... as I was saying; what's going to happen when you leave next week? I mean, well, I want to know what happened last night too, but what if something happened that's really important? Like... I admitted something that could make you leaving more difficult than it already will be?"

Vinyl didn't move. What was Octavia trying to say?

"What would be so important that would make leaving any harder than it will be?" Vinyl asked, neglecting the food items before her and staying focused on the cellist.

"Well... I mean... what if I said something like...." 'Shit, Octavia! Look what you've gotten yourself into!' "Like... that I wanted you to stay with me? In my home?"

"What?"

"Like... like a roommate? I'm always so lonely, and I love all of your music, and you're so much fun! I just want to... you know... maybe have you around longer..." Octavia heaved a sigh, glad that she had finally been able to let out how she felt. Sort of. Vinyl on the other hoof sat looking almost confused behind her thick shades. "Is there something wrong?"

"I can't live here," Vinyl stated flatly, "That's not possible with a career like mine. I have to move around, you know? All these tours and concerts, they're never in the same place at once, so I have to keep moving."

"But you can't just... you know. Stay with me?"

"How am I going to live with you when I live my life out of a bus and suitcase? I don't keep anything around with me that's bigger than me. I don't have a home, babe, I'm a rolling stone." Vinyl motioned her arm as if showing the vastness of the horizon. Octavia bit her lip, deep in thought.

"So you've never once in your travels met a pony you wanted to stay with? Never just thought about playing in just one spot? Or leaving when you're needed?"

"That would be hectic, and would waste all of our funds. But no, I've never met a pony like that. They were never worth my money, my job... my passion. This is what I've been destined to do! I can't just up and leave it. That would be like trying to get a new cutie mark because you want to share a profession with somepony else."

Octavia only sighed, defeated and knowing that nothing she could say would change the DJ's mind.

"I guess you're right... would you just tell me what happened last night then?"

Vinyl shifted in her seat, knowing Octavia must have been upset not being able to have her idol living with her. But Vinyl knew her fans well. They would have her around, love her for a little while, but when new music caught their interest, or Vinyl just wasn't what they hoped, they would just up and leave her alone. There was no point in going through it in her home town too. 'Guess that's the beauty in groupies. They follow you, and you can leave them whenever, never causing issues, and always having fun.'

"..Vinyl?" Octavia repeated before the DJ jolted from her thoughts.

"Oh! Yeah, yeah, last night... um..." Vinyl took a quick bite from her food, the first, and likely last bit of food she would have for breakfast. "Well, Fredric was dared to kiss me, or something, and you uh, I guess you were tired or something, but you heard the dare and got upset and yelled at Beauty for coming up with such a horrible idea-"

"That's not how I remember it!" Octavia interrupted, her hoof falling heavy on the table.

"Well, of course you wouldn't remember it like that, you were drunk and half awake."

Octavia grit her teeth, but sat back down knowing that arguing wouldn't do much for her now.

"Anyway, you got upset and yelled at Beauty, and she teased you for it, but she was just trying to lighten the mood, although you stumbling about yelling at her was pretty funny. Um, yeah, and then you tried to swipe a hoof at Fredric and missed, so I pulled you back and laid you down again, because, you know, you were being crazy." Vinyl stopped for a moment to think again. Octavia took note that Vinyl wasn't lying about how she was bad at telling stories, but there was a charm to it. Octavia just wanted to lay in her bed, Vinyl right next to her telling her a whole story about absolutely anything. "But I pinned you to the couch and you just blushed and passed out. That was it."

"What?"

"Yeah, you like, passed out under me. So I just snuggled up and went to sleep."

"Y-you didn't...?"

"Didn't what?"

"Nothing." Octavia sat back in her seat confused. Well at least it was a dream, that way there wouldn't be anything awkward going on between them. But then again... 'No!' Octavia's thoughts rushed from their temporary silence, 'She already said she didn't plan to stay here with me, there's no point in trying to force her. She would have been a good friend.... maybe...'

"So we going back to the house? I've got a few things to pack for a little show tonight." Vinyl was pushing her seat in, balancing on tired legs and looked up to give a reassuring smile.

'Might as well enjoy her while she's here...' Octavia thought, her chest tightening at the thought of Vinyl leaving for any reason. Leaving her seat, the grey cellist trotted up to her friend, brushing the other mare with her tail. Vinyl caught on, and with a goofy grin accepted the offer, allowing Octavia to intertwine their tails. It was a small, normally friendly gesture, something that ponies did to show off a flourishing friendship, but this felt better than that. Almost perfect. Vinyl ignored it again, trying her best to keep her mind on the moment, and not the future. But that was proving a bit hard.

"You doing anything tonight?" Vinyl asked suddenly. Octavia didn't turn to face the mare to her side, but her ear twitched at the welcomed voice.

"I don't know, I might." Octavia said slyly, a small grin on her muzzle.

"You... um... wanna come to this gig?" Vinyl tried to cough out, but she seemed more nervous than she wanted. It was such an easy question. Vinyl soon grew even more nervous as the silence fell between them. The DJ wouldn't be half surprised if Octavia had said no, especially after having told her she didn't want to stay here in Ponyville with her. However, Vinyl's thoughts were put to a halt as she received her answer.




"I'd love to."

Author's Note:

Where have I been? Where did I go? Where did I get to cotton eye Joe? Egh heheheh, never mind.

Anyway, I've been really busy, working on pictures, stories, animation, my computer was broken, I got sick, I met new friends at work, I had to go to work! Geez, and to think, in the beginning of this story I was jobless!

So before I continue to blow you ears out with crap, I was told that my one chapter "Insert Clever Morning After Title Here" was really close to Syncopation, but I had gotten the chapters confused. I think I forgot to add in the Author's Note that the whole scene was a homage to that fic, because it was the last fic I read before I wrote this, but the song was a lullaby from my childhood. So sorry if there was any confusion there.

I had a lot of plans for this chapter, and more plans for future chapters. But aside from that, I have plans for other stories, one of them is a detailed story about what has been happening during my writing, staring Vinyl, Octavia, and Neon, as well as a cameo of Spitfire, Lyra, and Bon Bon, and a few others once I know who to cast as who.

Anyway, be sure to leave a comment below. I also notice I have two dislikes, if you guys would be cool enough to tell me why before you dislike, so I can improve. I don't think this story would exist if I hadn't gotten criticism on my last story, (F.R.I.E.N.D.S of Equestria).

Love ya guys! Also a thanks to Sir Squiggles for keeping me focused and reminding me of other work, and also to JabberBrony for checking to make sure I haven't kicked the bucket. Thank you guys!