• Published 20th May 2012
  • 5,024 Views, 40 Comments

The Dragon and the Pony - ScrimpyMule



Ever wonder how a relationship between Spike and Rarity would work?

  • ...
6
 40
 5,024

Chapter 2

Spike stood on the porch of Ponyville Town Hall. Princess Celestia stood behind him and Twilight Sparkle stood to his left. Sweetie Belle, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie stood to his far right. Princess Celestia was the only one among them who wasn’t in fancy attire, being royalty and never needing to go out of her way to look stunning for any occasion because she already was. Spike had to keep reminding himself why they were all there due to an inability to keep a full grasp on the situation. He and Rarity were getting married today. He and Rarity were getting married today. He and Rarity were getting married today. No matter how many times he reminded himself he still found it hard to believe.

It was relatively early in the autumn season. The temperatures were perfect in the day and the Running of the Leaves had not yet taken place to knock down all the discolored leaves. This made the surrounding landscape perfect for the occasion, giving it a serene beauty.

They had been waiting for the bride for quite some time. Rarity was one to take her time preparing for anything. Spike didn’t mind, she was a pony worth waiting on. Eventually, Scootaloo and Applebloom came walking down the isle scattering flowers. As they came along, Fluttershy began directing her songbirds. That was when Rarity appeared in a wedding dress of her own design. Spike couldn’t speak or breathe upon seeing her. She had always had that effect on him, but this time he had to struggle to start breathing again and he nearly made a scene doing it. It wasn’t the dress she was wearing that got to him, but rather the fact that she was the one wearing it. Spike felt as though his face would fall off due to his wide, painful grin.

Rarity approached the steps and made her way up. She took her place next to Spike and they both turned to the Princess.

“Mares and Gentlecolts”, Princess Celestia began, “we are gathered here today to celebrate the union of Rarity and Spike. Their unlikely love has overcome many challenges and so long as they do all that is necessary to keep their love alive, they will overcome many more.”

Spike drifted off during the Princess’s speech, lost in the moment. Rarity was about to become his wife. She was the girl of his dreams and so much more. He simply couldn’t believe his fortune.

He came to in time to hear Princess Celestia ask for the rings. Twilight produced one ring made of gemstones and another made of gold (so Spike wouldn’t be tempted to eat the symbol of his marriage). The Princess placed the rings on the bride and groom and brought the ceremony to its conclusion.

“I now pronounce you Husband and Mare”, she continued, “its time for breakfast Father Spike.”

Spike groaned, this time he understood what was happening. He blinked and found himself once again in his cave. A team of handmaidens came in carrying ten large crates of fruit. Spike wasn’t hungry and he just wanted to be left alone, but he knew better than to argue. He would eat even if they had to force him to eat.

With some help, he opened his mouth and tilted his head back. Two crates were dumped into his mouth one after the other. He refused to eat more after that.

“Father Spike, you have to eat more”, said one of the handmaidens. “If you don’t eat you won’t get your strength back.”

“I don’t want any anymore. I’m not hungry”, Spike said sternly, “please just let me be.”

The handmaidens of the clan reluctantly complied with his request. He had eaten something, that was enough for now. They left to distribute the remaining crates of fruit elsewhere. Seconds later, Spike found himself kissing his new bride. The ensuing festivities took too long in his opinion. He decided that wedding parties must be for the guests to have something to celebrate rather than the enjoyment of the bride and groom, who just wanted to begin their new life together. Eventually the party ended and they did just that.

____

Days later, Spike and Rarity stood in a large cave several miles south of Ponyville. As a wedding gift, Princess Celestia had given them the cave and the plot of cliff-side land just outside for when Spike matured into a full-grown dragon. They were making plans to build a home on this land and were discussing the house and whether or not they would furnish the cave right away. It would be a long time before he would need the cave and she would be long dead and buried by then.

They decided that a large house with large rooms would be for the best. This way Spike would not have to worry about outgrowing the house in Rarity’s lifetime. In the meantime they would live in Rarity’s boutique. Rarity would move shop to their new house when they got it built and Spike would serve as a scribe for Princess Celestia in Ponyville. He could easily provide for both of them, but fashion was what she loved to do and he wouldn’t dream of taking it away from her.

They were discussing how many floors the house would need, where it would stand, and how many rooms it would have when suddenly, to Spike’s chagrin, he was once again yanked from his paradise by the cruel clutches of reality.

“Father Spike!”

Spike looked down to see Thunderhead, who was the leader of the clan ever since Spike had become too weak to fill that role.

Spike sighed, “What is it now?” he asked, greatly annoyed. He just wanted to be left alone to his daydreams. He had surrendered his ability to send and receive letters form Princess Celestia to Dusk. He had given all his responsibilities as leader of the clan over to Thunderhead. There was nothing left for him now, save the past. He was greatly perturbed to have been pulled from his paradise yet again.

Thunderhead sensed Spike’s irritation and got straight to the point. “The handmaids told me you barely ate any breakfast. How do you expect to get better if you don’t eat?”

“Maybe I don’t want to get better”, Spike retorted.

Thunderhead sighed, “I know you miss her Father Spike, but you need to at least try and get better. Think of the clan.”

“I was thinking of the clan when I selected you to take my place. I distinctly said that you were replacing me, not just filling in for me for a little while. You and the others need to just accept the fact that your generation is the one that will have to let me go.”

“It’s not fair of you to ask us to do that!”

“It’s not fair of you to try and make me stay. This is what I want Thunderhead. Its what I’ve wanted for longer than any of you can imagine. Now please, let me be.”

Thunderhead hung his head in resignation and left. Spike found himself once again at the side of his beautiful Rarity. They were in their new home, having just finished moving in. He put his arm around her, determined to make every moment with her count.