• Published 12th Jun 2015
  • 1,059 Views, 46 Comments

Heroes of Harmony - Nova Arc



After the Rainbow event, Earth is exposed to new energies, granting people superhuman, supernatural, and paranormal powers.

  • ...
3
 46
 1,059

Chapter 5: A Long Day

Sparks and Frost stared at each other for what felt like hours, each one waiting for the other to break the silence. For reasons still unknown, Frost was trying to push Sparks. Sparks was doing everything in his power to not lose his mind. After what felt like days, Frost decided to speak. "So, tell me, how's it been trying to manage yourself, Sparks? That is your name, right?" Sparks eye twitched. "Mhm. Look, everyone wants to give you a shot at redemption, but I know better. I know the stuff you said. I know you."

"No, you don't," Sparks replied.

"Don't I? Then riddle me this; why was I the one called in to deal with you? I'm sure there's a whole bunch of other cryokinetics out there."

"They had hoped you would have the sense to use our past relationship to calm me down instead of making things worse."

"I made things worse?" Frost said, gasping in disbelief, albeit feigned.

"You knew what would happen if you pushed me. You knew how I would react if you pushed me, but you did. You knew I would lose it."

"Mhm," Frost said, barely concentrating. "I'm sorry, who am I talking to again? Because it's been a while since I could actually tell. Maybe Twilight could help? Or Rarity? They seem-"

"If you tell anyone..." Sparks said, moving forward. Frost moved back slightly as the grass beneath Sparks burned.

"What'll you do? Drop a city on my head?" Frost mocked. "At least you would've finished what you started for once."

Sparks tried to block him out. He knew what Frost was doing and would not give him the satisfaction. "Look, can't we just stay away from each other? You don't like me, I'm not entirely sure how to feel about you."

"Dude, we're in the same room."

"Then request a different one."

"Why should I move? I got here first."

"Good gri- fine. I'll move."

"We still have to see each other every day. We live within the same compound."

Sparks was holding himself back from vaporizing Frost with all the strength he had. "It's been less than twenty-four hours, and you have picked a fight with me twice. Do not strike out with me on day one."

"Or what?" Frost asked as he walked up to Sparks. "What'll you do? You think I, scared of you? A whole city may be scared of what you can do... what you showed you can do. But do I look like I'm flinching right now? As far as I'm concerned, you're just a brat who doesn't know how to keep his emotions intact. Am I supposed to be afraid of that?" He was now in Spark face. "You are nothing but a calamity waiting to happen."

Spark looked him in the eye. He could see a black and blue void as cold as the powers the owner possessed. He could see nothing beyond the hatred and coldness. He found no reason behind it... no logical one, at least. He realized he had nothing to lose, so he let himself slip. He cracked a small smile and said, "Then I hope you have a bunker ready. Because this calamity is pretty good at picking its target." With that, Spark walked away from Frost. Last time he checked, Drost was meant to be the coolant that prevented the reactor from going nuclear. Now, he's just freezing the controls.

"You can't let him win," Spark told himself.

"Sure you can," another part of him said.

"People could get hurt."

"But why would they blame you when he was the one who pushed you?"

"I'm better than that."

"Why do you always have to play the good guy? Let someone else take over that role for a change."

"It can't happen again."

"They'll understand why you did it."

"That doesn't make it right."

"Would you cut the fucking hero complex for just five seconds?!"

Spark punched out and felt something hard break against his fist. He looked up and saw his hand buried in the bark of a tree. He yanked it out, splinters falling from his hand and the the tree. He clenched his fists and burned the splinters off his hand, shaking off the remains. His wounds closed in seconds.

"You are not doing this to me. Not this time. This time, I'm in control." This was going to be a long day for him.

------------------------------

"Maybe we should talk to Principal Celestia," said Twilight to the girls. "Maybe she can arrange a room change."

"I doubt it," Sunset replied. "It was set in stone from day one."

"But surely she knows the terms they're on and the risks of putting them that close together?" asked Rarity.

"And whatever it is, it doesn't seem like the kind of thing that blows over... Like ever," said Rainbow. "What do you think, AJ?"

The cowgirl thought for a while. "Well, Spark is pretty secretive," she said. "Am sure he has his reasons, but there must be something pretty deep he doesn't want anyone knowing'."

"With good reason," Twilight added.

"Yeah, but that Frost guy's a total jerk," said Rainbow. "It's a wonder Spark hasn't incinerated him!"

"Agreed," said Rarity. "I must say, he is quite an ass."

"Whoa, Rairty," Applejack gasped.

"What?"

"Since when do you swear?"

"Oh, please, Applejack. Your mouth isn't exactly that of a saint."

"Actually, AJ, Rares isn't as innocent as you think," Rainbow said.

"Yup," Pinkie said. "She's like a sailor when she's pissed."

"So are we going to argue about how vulgar a teenager's language is, or get back to the topic at hand?" asked Rarity.

"Why not both?" asked Applejack in response.

"So, back to the topic at hand," Twilight said.

"I think we should try to understand each person's side of the story," suggested Pinkie.

"I'm not sure if I trust Frost's side... or if I'd even listen," asked Rainbow.

"Maybe there's something Frost has against Spark," suggested Rarity.

"Doesn't mean he should coax the guy into a fight," replied Sunset.

"Okay, so we ask the one in between," said Fluttershy. Everyone turned to face her. "Oh, um, if you guys think it's a good idea."

Twilight thought for a while. "Actually, that's a brilliant idea. Sparks has secrets and Frost will probably be biased. So we go to the one in the middle."

"What makes ya think she'll have anything ta tell?" asked Applejack.

"She seemed close to Frost, but Spark isn't a complete stranger either. Plus, I remember she used to visit him from time to time."

"Pretty sure Frost wouldn't be happy about that," said Applejack.

"Indeed," agreed Rarity.

"Yeah. He was treating her like a little kid when he fought Sparks the first time," Pinkie pointed out.

"So it's decided," stated Rainbow. "Anyone know where she is?"

"I think I have an idea," said Twilight.

------------------------------

If there was one thing Relay loved, it was tinkering with anything with wires that had audio and video functions. She had taken the liberty of using her skills to tweak one of the computers and the wi-fi network, although she was pretty sure increasing their broadband would mess with someone else's, but... "It's for the greater good," she thought. She typed rapidly and found the site she was looking for. She plugged her headphones in, hit play, and rocked her head to Gold, by Owl City. She felt someone behind her and lifted her headphones. As she lowered them, though, she heard it.

"Enjoying the network?" asked a voice.

"GAH!" Relay tried to jump, but instead tipped her chair and fell back, crashing to the floor. She held her head and heard a laugh and looked up to see a girl in a white tank-top, blue shorts, and sneakers with rainbow hair.

"Your eyes can see through anything with a lens, but that still worked?" Rainbow mocked.

"I, uh, wasn't focusing," Relay said defensively, taking off her headphones. "Anyway, don't you have something better to do other than sneak up on me?"

"Actually, she does," said Twilight, who appeared behind her.

"Sorry," Rainbow said. "Couldn't resist."

"Right, anyway," Twilight continued, facing Relay. "We need to talk to you."

Relay felt uneasy. Based on the events of the last 15 or so hours, she has an idea of what they wanted to talk about. "This wouldn't happen to be related to the issue between Frost and Eve, does it?"

"Actually, it- Wait, you call him Eve?" Twilight asked, shocked.

"Sure," Relay replied. "He's just really picky about people who call him that."

"Anyway," Twilight said, focusing, "Can you tell us anything?"

"Other than what you already know?"

"I only know the aftermath. Plus, I'm not allowed to discuss that with anyone," Twilight said, whispering the last part. "I was never given the full story."

Relay shifted uneasily. "Look, I'd love to help, but this isn't my secret to tell. Eve would probably be mad and Frost... well, you've seen him. The last thing I want to do is start another row between the two."

"But what can you tell us?" pushed Rainbow.

"I can tell you that they had their differences on an issue, Eve had a minor slip, and well... everything is current events."

"Wait, 'slip'? Meaning?" asked Rainbow.

"Look, if you want answers, go ask him," Relay said. "Like I said, not my story to tell." With that, she walked out of the computer room.

"Well, that got us nowhere," said Rainbow.

"What do you think she meant by 'slip'?" asked Twilight.

"Beats me. But maybe we should go talk to him directly."

"Bad idea. Whatever it is, it sounds like something he'd prefer to keep as a secret." Suddenly, Twilight's phone rang. She looked and saw she had a message from Celestia. "Gotta go. Ask the others what they think we should do next." Before Rainbow could ask anything, Twilight was off.

"I have a better idea," Rainbow said, smirking.

------------------------------

Twilight arrived and knocked on the Principal's door. "Come in." Twilight opened the door and stepped in. The cream-colored walls were lined with waves and swirls of white and yellow. Wooden bookshelves stood against either side. A bright blue and yellow carpet covered most of the floor, leaving a foot or so from the walls. She saw Celestia sitting behind her desk, typing on her computer. Behind her were two suits of armor: one holding a sword, the other a shield.

"Ah, Twilight. Please, have a seat." As she sat down, there was another knock. "Come in." Twilight turned to see Sunset. Dressed in an orange shirt, blue jeans, and black boots step in and take a seat next to her. "I'm glad you're both here and I'm pretty sure you're wondering why I called you both." Both girls nodded. "Well, as I'm sure you are well aware, there seems to be a bit of an... issue between two of our students."

"If I may, Principal," started Twilight, "You must've known about this beforehand."

"I did." Both girls were shocked.

"So why did you put them in the same room?" asked Sunset.

"They need to sort their problem out themselves. Keeping them separate isn't the best way to do that."

"No disrespect meant, but is that wise?" continued Sunset. "I mean, we've seen what they can do individually and when they fight. I'm not sure we want to have a repeat of that."

"True. Speaking of which, I trust your knowledge of said occurrence has been kept secret?" Both girls nodded again. "Good." She leaned back. "I understand how difficult it is to keep this secrets from your friends, but such knowledge has a habit of producing various reactions, most of which tend to rival each other. The last thing I want is to start a civil war where there should be harmony."

"I've said that the little I know was not meant to leave my head," said Twilight.

"And I said the same," said Sunset. "My problem is what if someone starts snooping around?"

Celestia nodded. "That would be dangerous."

"And Frost doesn't seem like he minds if the truth gets out, knowing full well the consequences," continued Sunset.

"And I believe this covers the reaction of the students and the effect it'll have on Sparks," added Twilight.

"Indeed. Vice-Principal Luna has spoken to Frost."

"Not sure how much good that did," noted Sunset.

"I understand your concern, but for now, I want you two to keep a close eye on the two of them. You know what they are capable of, especially Eve. He's actually chosen to withhold one of his powers, if your noticed."

"Yeah. He explained it as "light manipulation" to the others," explained Twilight.

Celestia chuckled. "Impressive. It isn't the whole truth, but it's not a lie because the power is a form of photokinesis. Did Applejack pick up on that?"

"I'm not sure," Twilight replied.

"If she did, she isn't making it obvious," added Sunser.

"I see," said Celestia. She tapped the screen on the surface of her desk. "I'd like to begin handing out assignments today or tomorrow, so stay alert. Now, I believe you were doing something before I called?"

"Yes. Thank you." The two girls got up and left the room. "So, we need to monitor them now?" asked Sunset.

"Sparks isn't going to like that," replied Twilight.

"No. No he won't."

------------------------------

Sparks approached the main building. He couldn't think straight. His mind kept wandering back to his talk with Frost and kept him from noticing the jagged rock in his path. He tripped, but caught himself before hitting the ground. Great. Now he really is in my head. His attention was soon drawn to his ringing phone. He looked at the message: "Report to the workshop. (FYI: it's the building beside the mansion that looks like it should be a garage.)"

"Wonder what this is all about."

As he made his way to the workshop, Sparks noticed other students going the same way. "Guess it was for everyone." They all filed into the workshop, which was much bigger on the inside than on the outside, mainly due to the fact that most of it was built underground in a series of platforms connected by bridges, stairs, and ladders. It was at least five stories down, with workspaces for probably all the students. Then he noticed it. Not all the students were there. Maybe there wasn't enough room for everyone at once? Or maybe it was for a select few?

"Welcome to the workshop." The students all turned to face a Celestia standing next to man in a dark gray coat, white shirt, brown khakis, and gray work boots. "I am grateful you could make it. Now, as you know, MLP has seen many metahumans as helpful additions to our fight against forces that threaten our world. As such, some of you will been chosen to go on missions to aide in this endeavor. I'll leave the rest of the explanation to my colleague."

The man stepped forward. "Greeting students. My name is Iron Clad. I'm the head of the Technician Division of MLP and your tech professor." As he walked, the platform seemed to extend with each step. Then, he stopped stepping, but kept moving closer. "Here, those of you who will be chosen to go out on external assignments will be able to craft various tools and gadgets of your own design to help you. One thing you must learn is to not rely too much on your powers." He stepped off and approached the students. "Each station in biometric. The moment it reads you, it's yours for good... or until changes have to be made. At each station you'll find a list of possible gadgets you can build and materials that are available. However, you are not limited to these... if you can afford whatever else you had in mind."

"Wait? You're not supplying everything?" asked a student.

"Sorry, kid. Despite our funding, there are just some things we can't stockpile. Now, find your choice station. If a need any help, my contact should be on your PDAs."

"Wait, PDAs?" asked another. "We didn't get any?"

"Chop chop! Good stations are going!" For a second, everyone looked at each other. Then, they erupted into a frenzy, scanning for the station that called to them. Sparks had no problem. He ran over to the wall, jumped up, and kicked off. He landed on one of the overhead lights and looked around. A few other students had the same idea and were jumping across towards him. He swung across the lights like a monkey in its element and dropped. He caught the railing and hopped over. Standing in from of the station, he looked back.

"A hundred meters from the door, good lighting, and it's empty. Yep. This'll do just fine." He saw a panel on the table and smiled to himself.

He walked over and was about to scan his hand when suddenly, a voice said, "Scan complete. Welcome, Trixie Lulamoon."

"Wait, what?" Sparks asked confused. That is, until he saw a girl materialize out of thin air, wearing a light blue shirt with a white moon and stars on it, purple capris with a matching cape, and blue boots with her hand appearing on the scanner.

"Too slow," said Trixie. "Maybe you should have tagged it once you got here." As she removed her hand, the panel opened and revealed two silver, rectangular devices, one smaller than the other. "Ooooh," she teased, taking out the PDA and tablet, both of which had MLP on the back

Still a bit confused, he asked, "How did you even get here so quickly?"

"The Great and Powerful Trixie," rolling the "r", "doesn't not reveal her equally great secrets... unless for a price."

Sparks shrugged. He walked over to the one to the left of it. "Not as well lit, but it'll do." He scanned his hand and heard the same voice.

"Scanning complete. Welcome Sparks Weaver."

"Well, it got the name write this time." He took his PDA and tablet and looked around. The stations were only divided by a wall on either side and were each about 13ft long and 13ft wide with a ceiling 10ft above. There was only walls, until he stepped forward. The room was lit by fluorescent lights and the side walls folded down into tabletops and opened to for drawers, shelves, and cupboards. The end closest to the exit opened to reveal a closet containing five coats, three pairs of goggles, three pairs of work gloves, and a face shield used by welders. He grinned and rubbed his hands together. "Come to papa!" Everything surface was interactive. He tapped one of the tables and it brought up a touch-sensitive keyboard and a screen on the wall which said, "WELCOME." He clicked on the files and reviewed each of the materials available. Practically every element on the periodic table and every know industrial compound on the planet was there! He picked the tablet and looked through the list of gadgets.

"Probably should gif that more thought." Sparks turned around and saw Applejack standing at the entrance to his station, wearing a green shirt, blue jeans, brown boots, and her trademark hat. "Best you find that one that calls to ya than havin' a bunch of 'me takin' up space."

"Thanks for the advice," Sparks replied. He tapped a glowing green button on the wall and tapped another glowing YES. "So, are you stalking me or trying to be a guardian angel of some kind?"

"Would you prefer one to another?" Applejack asked, smiling smugly.

"Meh. You're too forward to be a stalker. And you look more like an Amazon than an angel. No offense."

"None taken," she said, shrugging. "Actually, I've been called worse things. So Amazon is actually a complement."

"Really?"

"How many 16-year-old girls you know are over six feet tall and have the strength to topple a loaded tanked with a single kick?"

Sparks thought for a moment. "Aside from my big sister... none."

"Precisely."

"Wow. Err, sorry."

"What're you apologizing for?"

"Yeah, I do that. I'm kind of empathic."

"Em-what?" asked a new voice. They turned around to see Rainbow Dash in a blue tank top, black track bottoms, and blue sneakers.

"Empathic," Sparks replied. "It means I can understand and feel how other people feel. So I tend to apologize even if it isn't really necessary because I think it is."

"Oh. Right."

Sparks knew he was lucky. Normally, anyone who knew about his past and his "problem" usually avoided him. Twilight and Sunset had kept his secret, but he was unsure how much longer he could keep it hidden himself. Would they see him any differently? Applejack was pretty intimidating, but that didn't stop them from being her friend. But he wasn't sure if he was ready to take the risk.

Author's Note:

So, this is hella late. Sorry. Even with a keyboard, typing on and iPad is a chore. So, one new guy:

Name: Iron Clad
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Powers: Magnetism, metal manipulation

And yes. I just threw that age on now as I typed! Also, I'm surprised no one has caught, or at least mentioned, any reference I've made, especially that, fairly obvious, Avengers one in the last chapter. But anyway, watch out for those. Hope you liked this one. More action coming up. Wanna see it? Stay tuned and stay awesome!