• Published 30th Nov 2015
  • 1,931 Views, 36 Comments

Idyllic Interludes - lollipopchica



It was all a dream she thought... A vivid illusion induced by heartache and magic. Oh how wrong she was.

  • ...
7
 36
 1,931

Chapter 2

-C2-
“Chrystal?” It was the second time he'd found her in his classroom.

“Don’t mind me, I just came to officially repay my debt.” Was her coy response.

It’d been two weeks since he last seen her. He figured she had pushed their meeting and the circumstances surrounding it out of her mind.

The stallion could feel a migraine coming on. After the fight he just had with his parents, he didn’t think he was up to play any games today. He was so tired of ponies telling him how to think and feel. Manipulating him into making choices.

He had just seen them off before he made his way to work. His parents had been at odds with many of his decisions lately. From breaking Cadance’s heart and joining the royal guard to leaving Canterlot to make a new life for himself in Manehattan.

Today they’d been trying to convince him to move back to Canterlot.

“What’re you talking about?” Already in a foul mood, the stallion tried to keep his tone neutral as he didn’t want to come off rude. Chrystal hadn’t done anything to warrant his attitude.

“Well… I’m offering you an alternative to your current plans.” Shining Armor gave her a skeptical look. “Why spend the night with a cold stack of papers, when you could be entertained by a successful, attractive mare?” She gave him a look that spoke of mischievousness and for reasons beyond him it annoyed him.

“Arrogant…”

“Excuse me?” Confusion bloomed overshadowing her confidence.

“You forgot arrogant and vain.” The words were out before he could stop them.

Bright eyes narrowed. She opened her mouth to speak, but found that her indignation had been replaced by something much more bitter and resigned. “I see…”

'Oh yeah, we had dinner last night. He asked about you....' Cadance had smiled so sweetly.

‘Oh yeah? What did you tell him?’

‘That you weren’t his type.’

Shining Armor blinked, feeling oddly disappointed. “No witty comeback?”

“Why bother?” She asked icily, “I’m obviously not your type.” She hastily stuffed an envelope back in her bag. “Enjoy your evening, and thanks for saving my life once again. I wish you well.” With that, she strode out the room with all the regality associated with a queen.

She was so angry she almost didn’t notice the filly in front of her, bumping into the younger pony.

“No running in the halls.” She scowled at the wide-eyed filly who’d been knocked onto her haunches.

“S-Sorry,” the younger pony stuttered with a sniffle. Chrysalis tilted her head as her countenance softened. Just because Shining Armor had been insulting to her it didn’t mean she had to be same to the obviously upset creature before her.

She sat down beside the shaking filly. “It’s okay,” she sighed. “What’s your name?”

“Sienna… Sienna Marley.”

“That’s a pretty name for a pretty girl.” With a peach toned coat and soft blonde hair, the small filly would definitely grow up to be a heartbreaker. With spotted hips, hazel eyes and freckles she was adorable.

“Eve don’t seem to think so. She’s always making fun of me ‘cause of my accent.”

“That’s not very nice…”

“No it ain’t, but Eve ain’t really a nice filly. She always manages to find a reason to mock me. Ah wish Ah didn’t sound so hick-ish. That’d be one less thang.”

“Hick-ish?”

“Well, Eve says-“

“You’re not a hick. Don’t say that about yourself. Forget this Eve. She’s obviously jealous of you.”

“But why? Her Pa owns half of Manehattan and my Poppa can barely afford to send me here since mama went away to the great pastures.”

“Well for starters, you’re beautiful.” Chrysalis said matter-of-factly to which Sienna gave her a look. “Look at you and that spotted coat of yours. You’re gorgeous and with a kind heart. She’s probably upset because of how ponies naturally gravitate towards you without your even trying.”

“You think so?” There was hint of hope in her childish tone.

“I know so. You pulled me in didn’t you?” Chrysalis nudged her with a smirk.

“Ah guess…” Sienna blushed at the compliment. “But who are you?”

“If I tell you, will you promise not to tell?”

Sienna nodded, entranced by the pony’s attitude. “My name’s Chrystal Heart.” Hazel eyes widened.

“The famous actress?! You were the Snow Queen in the ‘Snow Queen!’” Chrysalis gave her a tight smile. Cadance had won an award for her performance as Gerda while she had only been nominated for a supporting actress, ultimately losing to Cadance’s performance in another play. “You should’ve won by the way.” Chrysalis looked surprised. “Cadance Mi Amore was good, but your character was more interesting. Or at least Ah thought so. That role fit you more n’ the others.”

“That’s an incredibly insightful thing for you to say.” The actress said touched by this pony’s simple sincerity. Sienna smiled shyly. Chrysalis was thoughtful before her eyes brightened in decision. “I actually have an upcoming show this weekend maybe you’d like to come as my personal guest?”

“Can my poppa come too?” The delight on equine features made her chuckle. Such an innocent young mare deserved to have her perception of self-upgraded.

“Of course,” she laughed. “You can bring whoever you like Miss Marley.”

*-*-*-*-*

“Here she is!” Rarity announced breathlessly. “Unfortunately, her father had to work, but you made it crystal clear how important her support was.” The fashionable unicorn rolled her eyes as she thought of her employer’s instructions from earlier: ‘Rarity, get her here or you’re fired.’

“You can’t treat Rarity that way!” Spike, an accomplished photographer, had cried out in her defense.

“Oh no? Well say goodbye to that weeklong vacation in Mawaii…”

“Rarity, get her here!” He immediately changed his tune for the sake of his girlfriend’s dream vacation.

Fortunately, Chrysalis paid her well and always fronted the bill for her end-of-the-year vacations, so she didn’t mind the abuse too much. Mawaii was going to be sweet!

“Miss Marley! I’m so glad you could make it! I trust your trip here was satisfactory.” The theatre was packed, buzzing with the elite of Manehattan as well as other citizens. Chrystal looked beautiful in a simple white robe. The trio stood in the aisle smiling and chatting before the show started.

“You sent a noble carriage! And I got my picture taken for tomorrow’s paper!”

Chrysalis chuckled as she tilted her head. “I’ll take that as a yes… Well you two take a seat, the show will be starting soon!” She made a mental note to thank Spike for taking the young filly’s picture.

Rarity nodded as her employer hurried off. “C’mon Sienna. Let’s grab our seats!”

*-*-*-*-*

Champagne glasses clinked as ponies laughed and congratulated each other on a show well done. Cameras flashed as cliques posed for pictures and caught up with one another.

Sienna’s bright eyes took everything in as she, Chrysalis and Rarity were shown a table. “This is amazing!” The filly gushed her innocent face alit with joy. She’d never been to such a fancy place before.

Chrysalis smiled, pleased that the younger was enjoying herself. “Food’s not half bad either,” she smiled at her tiny companion.

“Ah can have what Ah want?”

“Everything except the alcohol anyway…”

Sienna rolled her eyes before she grabbed a menu exclaiming at all the options. The older mare laughed until her eyes caught sight of something. Her heart skipped a beat as a dull expression overcame her.

Rarity groaned as she caught sight of her employer’s target. “Chrystal,” she reminded, “it’s a school night and don’t be a ‘you-know-what…’”

Chrystal snorted as she excused herself to which Sienna barely acknowledged. “Good luck,” she heard Rarity mutter. Pasting a winning smile on her face she approached a table of ponies in a casual manner.

Chrysalis' eyes darkened, but the smile on her muzzle never faltered. “Flawless performance Princess, I can’t wait to see what the papers have to say about their city’s golden girl.” Her cerise counterpart looked up from her ‘date,’ Chrysalis assumed as the other acknowledged her presence.

Cadance smiled graciously at the compliment. “Greatness inspires greatness. Your roles seem so much more fun than mine. I always have a blast playing alongside you.”

“I’ve always done wicked best…” Chrysalis shrugged nonchalantly as her eyes caught Shining Armor's. “I guess hubris will always be my character’s downfall. That and vanity.” Shining Armor wanted to roll his eyes but refrained. In her defense he had been a major ass, but for whatever reason he had saw something in her provocation that annoyed him. “Anyway! I have a guest to entertain, but you two enjoy your meal.”

Chrysalis walked back to her table with a giant grin on her dark features, Sienna mirrored her expression as the accomplished actress took a seat. Rarity had excused herself to enjoy the rest of her evening with her own friends. Now it was just the two of them and Chrysalis was determined for the girl to enjoy herself.

Who cared if Shining Armor preferred Cadance to her? It seemed everypony else did too. Except for maybe this one…

*-*-*-*-*

The next morning a giant bouquet of white and yellow daffodils sat on Shining Armor’s desk.

Since he was a little late arriving most of his students had already arrived and were whispering curiously about the bouquet.

He narrowed his eyes at the flowers, certain he knew who they were from.

“Well, aren’t you going to see who they’re from?” Asked one student.

“Yeah!” The rest of the class chimed in excited about who could be interested in their beloved teacher.

With a sigh of resignation, he magically apprehended the card attached and carefully read its message aloud:


“Miss Marley,

Your presence was the highlight of my night. I hope to see you again at my next show. Remember what I said and never change who you are to suit anypony’s needs but yourself. See you soon,

Signed, Chrystal Heart”

The whole class turned to the wide eyed pony who sat there with a stunned expression on her maw. Even Eve, a Kelly green pony with mint colored hair and pink eyes, stared at her in surprise. Much to Sienna’s surprise everypony asked her what it was like and who she got to meet. As the other foals were interested in his shyest student, Shining Armor took the time to ponder this new development.

He was certain those flowers were for him and from Chrystal. He narrowed his eyes as he came to the conclusion that the mare had to be using his student to get to him. He decided he’d have a word with both her and Sienna before the week was out.

No pony took advantage of his students.

*-*-*-*-*

Shining Armor didn’t know what actors did when they weren’t onstage, but he never thought he’d be making an appointment to see one. When he knocked and peered into Chrysalis’ office he was shocked to see that she worked the same way most ponies did.

“Shining Armor…” She drawled looking only mildly surprised when he let himself into her office. She turned her attention back to the script laid out on her desk as she continued to read. “What’re you doing here?”

“I wanted to talk to you about Sienna.” He said in earnest.

Chrystal raised a teal colored brow as her features portrayed her curiousness though her attention did not leave her desk. When his words clicked she finally looked up from her reading as she realized he probably thought the worst and was looking to chastise her. “Can we talk about this over lunch?” She never liked handling accusations on an empty stomach.

Shining Armor pursed his lips at the request looking ready to decline. “It’s not a date,” She huffed. “It’s lunchtime and I haven’t eaten. You don’t have to eat but I’m going to.” With that she stood and magically gathered papers as she went about putting them in their proper place. If he wanted to be an ass that was his prerogative.

“Why did you send Sienna flowers?”

“Because she’s a sweet filly.” Was Chrystal’s obvious reply. She began straightening her desk now that her papers were put away.

“Somehow I don’t think that’s the whole story,” Said Shining Armor skeptically as he shifted his weight around.

Chrystal halted her movements and leveled a glare at the other. “After I left your class, I bumped into Sienna in the hallway. She was upset over some other girl teasing her and we ended up talking. I had some tickets lying in my purse and I gave them to her. We had a real nice time and I figured it’d help her be more social.” She gave him a look that challenged him to think otherwise. “Contrary to your chauvinistic beliefs, I don’t scheme for stallions.” His eyes narrowed as the mare coolly defended herself.

At that moment an attractive red roan colored stallion peeked in through her door. “Hey, Chrystal, you mind me tagging along with you for lunch? I got some papers I need your- Oh! Am I interrupting?”

“Not at all Ember,” she smiled kindly at her colleague. “Was that all?” Her countenance was frost again as she turned her attention back to her guest.

The stallion almost looked apologetic. “No… I just thought…”

“I know what you thought… Enjoy the rest of your day.”