• Published 2nd Sep 2015
  • 485 Views, 11 Comments

Believing in Something that is True - Nightglimmer22



Nightglimmer had a dream, a wish upon a star that she could fly with the best. But how many hoops would she have to jump through to get it?

  • ...
1
 11
 485

Chapter 7: The Pain of Remembering

Chapter edited by: Brickbrock24


Glimmer opened her eyes. The bright sun shone through the ivory colored blinds. She tossed and turned in the stone hard bed. A big white curtain encircled her bed, which seemed to separate her from the rest of the world. A small blue night stand stood next to the bed baring a glass filled with a green liquid. Glimmer looked at the liquid. It looked nasty, but her dry mouth told her otherwise. Glimmer reached over to take a sip of the green concoction. Glimmer gagged, the green substance had filled her mouth with a disgusting bitter taste that rivaled itself with the vomit-inducing taste of the Weather Factory cafeteria’s eggs. Glimmer tried to sit up, but her mind felt fuzzy and she was weak to the bone. Her muscles felt like machine parts in desperate need of an oiling. Glimmer strained through the pain to find out what was happening while she struggled not to let the green liquid’s sleep-inducing effect consume her. Her ears perked up at the sound of two mares talking. Their barely audible voices echoed through the halls.

"Will she be okay?" Glimmer heard Spitfire ask a mare, her voice becoming more clear as she came closer

"That I do not know, Spitfire. She seems to be in some sort of dream coma and is not responsive. She’s been out for about two days now."

Glimmer’s breath became shallow. Two days? How could this be?! It felt like just a few of minutes to her. The clip-clop sounds were now right outside her curtain. A light pink aura bunched up a section of the curtain to let a light fuchsia mare in.

"Well, I'm glad you’re finally awake, Glimmer!" The mare said, smiling the moment she laid eyes on Glimmer, "How are you feeling? Tired? Dizzy?" A clipboard and quill popped into the air as the mare grabbed hold of it with her magic.

Glimmer put a hoof to her throbbing head, "I-I don't know…” she said. Her voice was hoarse from weakness, “My head feels really weird."

"Yeah, the medicine that we put in your drink may have that effect on you."

“Well, yeah, I guess it wou-” Glimmer stopped and realized what the mare just said to her, “Wait, what?!”

“Oh, um, right… I guess we didn’t tell you about that!” said the mare, scratching her head with her hoof as if she had made an embarrassing mistake, “We would’ve told you about, but Spitfire told me to keep the cat in the bag!”

“You mean to tell me that the reason I’ve been out for the past two days is because you secretly drugged me?!” Glimmer shouted, her voice was beginning to raise. She would’ve gotten right up to the mare’s face if she weren’t in her weakened condition, “Just who the heck do you think you are?!”

“Glimmer, calm down!” said the mare, signalling the now angry pegasus to quiet down by putting her hoof over mouth, “”Drugged” is kind of a strong word. I can explain everything to you, but you’ve got to calm down! Take some deep breaths…”

Glimmer did as she was told. After the mare saw the anger leave Glimmer’s eyes, she continued,

"Alright, let me properly introduce myself," the mare said as she closed the curtain tightly behind her, "I am Nurse Golden Wave. I understand that you have a few questions that you want answered.”

“Uh, yeah! I have a lot of questions!” shouted Glimmer, “First off, what in Equestria happened to me?!”

“You were in a dream coma,” answered Golden Wave, “either of a distant past or the future."

The image began to fade from Glimmer's mind the moment Golden Wave had said that. In the memory of the mare and her filly, Glimmer noticed that the filly looked a lot like her, but she didn’t think anything of it until now.

"Do you remember what it was about?"

"S-sort of," Glimmer stammered, she wasn't so sure she wanted to say it out loud. The thought of herself being in a dream coma and having the dream about her mother brought tears to her eyes. She blinked them away quickly so Golden Wave wouldn’t see them.

"Would you like to tell me? I can try and help." Golden Wave said encouragingly.

"Um… Okay. Well, uh, there were two ponies: one was a filly and the other was a mare," Glimmer said as she tried to piece the image back together in her head like a jigsaw puzzle, "The filly looked just like me. In fact, I think it actually was me, but when I was younger." Glimmer clutched her head with her hoof. She was getting the worst out of her headache trying to remember what the mare looked like, "The mare, she had a dark blue mane and light blue pelt." Glimmer’s head felt like it was on fire after trying to remember what was in her dream. A painful throbbing sensation in Glimmer’s head only added to the already existing state of pain her whole body was in.

"I'll send Spitfire in to talk to you," said Golden Wave. Glimmer could barely nod her head without it hurting. Golden Wave left the room, and after a moment Spitfire walked in. She wasn't wearing her Wonderbolt uniform.

"How are you feeling, Nightglimmer?" she asked. Glimmer tried saying something, but she was too weak even utter a sentence. She didn’t really need to say anything, though, because Starfire could see the pain in her eyes.

"Do you want some ice or something?" Spitfire asked, grimacing at how much pain Glimmer was in. She felt sorry that Glimmer had to be in this agonizing condition. Glimmer tried nodding, but ending up pushing a shock wave of dizziness and pain through her body.

Worst migraine ever! Glimmer thought to herself. Spitfire left and was back in a flash with a freezing cold ice pack in her hoof. She gently laid the cold bag of ice on the aqua mare's head. After about a minute, the chill of the ice pack melted away the pain from her headache. But when Spitfire took the ice pack off Glimmer’s head, the pain of her headache began its torment all over again. Glimmer would’ve protested about keeping the ice pack if she weren’t in such a miserable state.

"How about you rest and I'll check on you in the morning,” said Spitfire, “Then, if you’re up for it, we can talk business." With that being said, Spitfire patted Nightglimmer on the shoulder and trotted out through the curtain.

Nice going, headache! The one time you start hurting is when the lead captain of the Wonderbolts is speaking to me! Glimmer thought as she grumbled to herself.

After three long and painful hours, Glimmer was finally able to fall asleep. She thought it would be impossible to even close her eyes with her headache constantly torturing her. Just an hour ago, she was feed dinner that was brought by Golden Wave straight from the Wonderbolt café. The food was miles better than the sorry excuses for food at the Weather Factory, which caught Glimmer a bit off-guard. However, good tasting food wouldn’t be enough to make Glimmer feel better. She was beyond disappointed that on her first day at the Wonderbolt Academy, she was in the medical center being fed by somepony else rather than being outside learning extravagant flight moves from the best of the best.

What did I get myself into? she thought miserably to herself.