• Published 26th May 2015
  • 329 Views, 4 Comments

The Dawn of Hatred - Thomas Hunter



What happens to the Princess of Friendship when her friends die?

  • ...
5
 4
 329

Death's Door

“Ouch!” Twilight winced as the needle jabbed her in the flank again.

She looked down at Rarity who was trying to put the finishing touches on her dress for Rainbow Dash’s funeral which was scheduled for the next day. Rarity’s eyes were full of tears and the look on her face was distant and disengaged.

"Rarity, are you sure you want to do this?" Twilight asked, concerned.

This seemed to snap Rarity back into reality.

"Sorry dear, what did you say?" Rarity asked, focusing again on her friend.

Twilight smiled sadly, "Rarity, Rainbow's death has been devastating to all of us, and with Pinkie still in the hospital..."

Rarity flinched at the mention of Pinkie Pie, tears welling anew in her eyes.

"...no one would blame you for, you know, taking a break from the boutique for a little while. We can each wear something nice that we have in our closet already."

The white unicorn looked incredulous at the suggestion, "Absolutely not! I will not have a single one of my friends showing up to Rainbow's funeral with anything less than the absolute best! I know that Rainbow Dash was not really into fashion, but how else am I supposed to honor her memory? How else am I supposed to show her how much she meant to me? How else, Twilight? Can you tell me?!"

As the last word came out of her mouth, Rarity wailed, sorrow overwhelming her once again. Twilight quickly stepped down off of the stool she was standing on and embraced her friend. She drew her in as tightly as she could, as if through their closeness Twilight might somehow take away all of Rarity's sorrow and make it her own. Rarity hugged her back just as tightly, and they stayed like this for several minutes silently sharing in one another's sorrow.

After their crying had subsided, Twilight gently wiped the tears from her friend's eyes.

"Well then, shall we finish this beautiful dress you're making for me?" Twilight said, mustering a smile.

Rarity smiled weakly, "We shall."

--------------

After Rarity finished making the alterations, Twilight marveled at the results. However simple, it was by far the most beautiful dress Rarity had ever made for her. She thanked her and said that she was on her way to visit Pinkie Pie.

"Do you want to come along? I know that Pinkie would appreciate it," Twilight asked.

"No, Twilight, thank you. I have far too many things to do around here. You run along without me," Rarity said.

She then started to work on a piece of cloth that had been lying around, attempting to look busy.

"Okay," Twilight said reluctantly, and began to make her way out of the door, "I'll see you tomorrow."

Rarity waved in response, pretending to still be engrossed in the task at hoof.

As she trotted off, Twilight felt a knot form in her stomach. It had been nearly a week, and neither she nor her friends had been able to convince Rarity to go visit Pinkie in the hospital. Rarity had even made Pinkie a dress for the funeral, even though Pinkie had not woken up since the attack. It was like she was in some kind of denial, accepting Rainbow's death, but refusing to acknowledge the fact that she might lose Pinkie too, and there was a very real possibility that they might. With the condition Pinkie was in, the doctor had given her a fifty-fifty chance to survive, and even lower odds of her ever waking up again.

In a way, Twilight understood how Rarity felt. It was hard enough to accept the fact that Rainbow Dash was dead, much less the fact that Pinkie, who was still alive, might not be with them for much longer. It was difficult to see the pink pony who had always been bursting with life, lying on a hospital bed struggling to keep breathing. However, Twilight realized that there had never been a time that Pinkie and her friends needed her more than at this moment. She couldn't stay away. Not now.

As she arrived at the hospital, she noted the Pie family's rock cart. Once they had heard about Pinkie's condition about a week ago, the whole family had rushed over to Ponyville Medical, in spite of it being the middle of rock harvest, and the cart had not moved since. In spite of not being a very emotional group, the Pies had proven to be very family-centric.

When Twilight entered into Pinkie's room, she took note of those standing in the hall, waiting for a chance to see Pinkie, as well as occupying the room. The Pies were all there--with Maud steadfastly by her sister's side and Gummi resting at the foot of her bed--as well as some of the ponies from around town and Applejack who was sitting stoically in one of the chairs. The sheer number of flowers, candies, balloons, and baked goods that filled the room was a testimony to the number of friends Pinkie had, not just in Ponyville, but all over Equestria who wished to see the party pony healthy and active again. The Cakes had taken cartloads of gifts to Sugar Cube Corner so that people would have room to visit, and still there was just barely enough room for six ponies to stand comfortably in the large room.

Twilight walked over to Applejack and gave her a hug.

"Any change?" she asked.

"Nope," Applejack replied, "she's still sleepin'."

"How are you holding up?" Twilight asked.

She was concerned about her friend. After all, Applejack and Fluttershy were the ones who found Rainbow Dash.

Applejack shook her head, "As good as can be expected I suppose. There are moments when all of this doesn't feel real, like it's some kind of dream that I'll wake up from soon. Then other times it's too real, too painful to bear. But no matter how I feel I can't ever get rid of the image of...you know, what we saw...out of my brain. It's like it's been branded onto my eyes."

Applejack's words brought the painful image of Rainbow's broken body to the forefront of Twilight's mind. She winced at the thought and gritted her teeth in anger.

Twilight nodded, "Same here. No matter what I do, I can't get what that monster did to Rainbow Dash and Pinkie out of my mind."

Applejack laid a reassuring hoof on Twilight's shoulder, "I know sugar cube, and I can't stand the thought of him either. But, you’ve gotta make sure you don't let your anger get the best of you. From what Celestia said that's exactly what he wants. Guard your heart, sugar cube, or we might lose you too."

Twilight sighed, "Thanks Applejack. I know that you're right. It’s just… it isn't easy, especially seeing Pinkie like this..."

She looked over at her sleeping friend. Pinkie’s face, once consistently highlighted with a soft smile, was now hardened and withered. Her bright eyes shut tightly, possibly to never open again. Her body had been bruised, and several bones broken when Radiant Dawn attacked. By the time medical help reached Pinkie, she had bled so much internally that the doctor said she was lucky to be alive at all.

Twilight walked over to Pinkie’s sleeping form, and put her hoof on her friend’s foreleg. She stood like this for a while and spoke to Pinkie, telling her all about her day, the beautiful dress that Rarity made her, and the party Twilight had planned for when she woke up.

“You need to wake up soon, or the cake for your party will get stale,” Twilight teased, “and I know you wouldn’t stand for that.”

She rubbed her friend’s foreleg, patted it gently and began to stand.

“Stop him.”

Surprised, Twilight looked over at Maud. Though the grey pony’s face remained as stoic as ever, but her eyes had a burning fire of anger and sheer force of will that shook Twilight.

“Whatever it takes,” Maud said, “Bring him down.”

Twilight nodded, “I will Maud. You can bet on that.”