• Published 30th Nov 2011
  • 3,762 Views, 147 Comments

Fallout Equestria: Do Robot Ponies Dream of Electronic Bunnies - ScottWolf



An Android awakens in the Post-Apocalyptic world

  • ...
8
 147
 3,762

Ch 16: The Way To End All Wars pt II

FoE: Do Robot Ponies Dream of Electronic Bunnies


Chapter XVI: The Way To End All Wars Part II

"War will make corpses of us all." Faramir, Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

System Report: 0000000016
Unit Status: Active
Location: Celestial Canyon
Satellite Signal Status: Receiver offline. GPS active.
Begin data dump to external off-site memory back-up:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - Done.
Preparing visual report: Done.

Date: --/--/2212, 200PA (+43 days activation)
Time: 0430 Local


Pre-Dawn.

Night Rose and Frieda had already left as the warriors of the Silent Deer tribe assembled. Scratch stood beside me, the tears of last night long dry on her cheeks. Around us, a hundred zebra were preparing for battle. As we watched, the females went around to each warrior (except Da'riano) and painted their black stripes a vibrant red. Head to tail, shoulder to hoof, every black mark on their body was covered in a red paste. I assumed it would wash out later; I'd not seen any red striped zebra before now.

Scratch, too, had opted to be painted like the zebra were but having no such black marks on her body, they simply painted stripes onto her, and even painted over her cutie mark as well. It now looked like a double-note with blood dripping from it. Deadly music.

"Well, shit. How'd we get roped into this?" AC and Chef were standing with us, both having received a similar treatment (for AC it was slightly different, as he was already the red color they used, they striped his mane and tail). "Weren't you supposed to be the one taking the risks?"

"I am," I replied, not taking my eyes off the zebras. "But you made a Pinkie Pie Swear. In case you weren't aware, they're unbreakable. Scratch is going to the front and so am I. Because of what you said last night, so are you."

"I understand that," Chef replied. "I just don't think I like the idea of killing somepony. Or, in this case, some zebra."

"You don't have to kill them," AC said, nudging his friend. "Just knock them out. One good buck to the teeth will drop anything."

Except me, I thought humorously. After a few minutes, I spoke out loud. "Guys, I had thoughts last night." Ignoring their mock terror, I continued. "If we get the chance, we should finish this war. We can't stay her for too long."

"You want to end it today," Scratch asked. "Take out the Hawks completely?"

"No, not completely. Just remove their head. We take out their leader and anyone else who looks bloodthirsty. "

"They all seem bloodthirsty to me," she replied.

"Not all. A few seem like they don't want to fight. I'll deal with it, if it comes up."

A cheer rose from the back of the camp, and their leader walked out into the open and straight up to us. Out in the open air, he seemed feebler than he had in his cave, like the cave was the only thing keeping him alive.

"I know what I look like," he said to me, forestalling any comments. "Everyone here knows of the curse I have upon my head. It is why I cannot lead my people into battle anymore. I was cursed years ago by a wandering sorceress zebra to be trapped in my cave, lest I age prematurely. Fortunately, the process will reverse once I return to the cave. This being the case, I appoint you, Versatile, as war party leader. My people will follow you wherever you need them go. I wish you all luck."

With that, he turned and slowly walked back towards his cave. I could see the years piling up on him. Let it never be said there are no such things as curses.

"Alright, everyone," I called, amplifying my voice to be heard over the whinnies and yelling. "You all know what we're about! Let's get to it!" I reared back and charged out of the camp, three ponies and a herd of zebra on me tail, all cheering and whooping.


The scouts told me as we neared the border that the Deadly Hawks were all riled up and massing for the fight. Their own leader was at the head of the group. I silently hoped that Night Rose and Frieda could pull off their end.

We reached the river that separated the two tribe's territories shortly after. I nodded to Scratch, who smiled back and stepped forward. Her horn began to glow as she spoke.

"WAKE UP, HAWKS," she yelled, her voice amplified by the spell she was using. "IT'S TIME FOR SOME ECLECTIC ROCK TO CLEAN OUT YOUR EARS!!!" Out of her horn, a drum beat started, very loud. Its sound reverberated off the walls of the canyon. Soon, it was joined by two pipes banging together in rhythm with the drum. Then what sounded like trash can lids banging together. The zebras seemed to think this was a war song, and began to stomp their own hooves and shout out with the music. It was loud, it was random, it was eclectic. Part of me wished I was recording it.

The Deadly Hawks then appeared, galloping around the bend on the other side of the river. Sure enough, their leader was there, but not leading them. He'd taken a position above on a small rise. He glared down at me, then shouted a war cry in zebra that was echoed by his warriors.

The Silent Deer shouted one back, and as one we all ran forward, clashing in the middle of the river. The rushing water made it tough for them to fight, but it wasn't so bad as to pick them up and carry them away in mid strike. The river was only about 9 inches deep, but it could possibly carry a pony away.

I kicked and reared, bringing down zebras with each blow. To my left, Scratch had two zebras held in mid-air with her magic. With a grunt, she flung them into another group of Hawks that were coming her way. That being done, she let out her own yell and charged into them.

AC and Chef were on my right, holding their own wonderfully. Chef hadn't killed any zebras, but he'd taken AC's advice to heart, bucking like mad at any zebra that wasn't red striped. AC, however, had a pistol gripped in his mouth and, when not bucking closer targets, was shooting at the ones that were coming down into the fray.

Arrows and spears flew through the air. Zebras with spiked shoes kicked and bucked at each other. Here and there, gunshots went off, and all around, zebras fell. Some zebras got back up and fought on. Others didn't, and their blood washed into the river, soaking hooves and dying them red. I had a lull in my area, and a flash of light caught my eye. On the far end of the river, I saw Night Rose and Frieda running towards us.

Te'liana was not with them.

I fought my way through the crowd and met them at the edge of the battle. Night Rose said nothing, her ears drooping and her eyes avoiding mine. Frieda was puffed up and looked very angry. She glared at the zebras battling behind us. I had a bad feeling...

"Where's Te'liana?"

"Dead," Night Rose replied sadly. My emotion chip simulated my heart sinking to the core of the planet. "Long dead, we think. She was tied between some posts and gutted. She... there was nothing left of her insides... I... I'm sorry..."

I felt a burning in my chest, and a rage I'd never felt before came bubbling up inside me. I turned away from the two girls, and started walking back into the battle. "The red stripes are on our side," I called over my shoulder. I heard Frieda lift out of the water and start shooting. Night Rose, for her part, simply stood there, occasionally firing on targets. I was sure she felt as devastated as I did. I was just planning on handling it differently.

Once I'd found the heart of the maelstrom, I released hell.

Ports all over my body opened, and every weapon I carried except for the sniper rifle and egg launcher emerged. The Silent Deer, seeing the look in my eye, began to pull back to their side of the river. The Hawks foolishly tried to follow. I opened up with everything I had, cutting down every zebra that wasn't red painted that came near the borderline. I don't know how many I'd killed before they retreated to their own side. I didn't care either.

My eyes shot up at their leader, who was beginning to back away from the edge. No, you don't! I lit my thrusters and landed right on top of him, breaking his spine with my weight, as well as the Cliffside ledge. It held though, giving everyone a view of what came to pass.

"You killed her," I said angrily. "Didn't even wait and see if we ran you errand! You just fucking killed her!!"

"As shall I kill you," he spat back, and a bladed hoof came up and struck me in the ribs. It broke flesh, and I started to bleed on him, but the six-inch blade failed to break through the armor beneath. A look of confusion crossed his face as he struck me again and again in different spots of my belly, each one being met with a clang. My weapons returned to stored positions and I glowered at him.

"This war is over," I growled. "You will stop fighting now."

"This war only ends in my death," he replied evenly. It was a mistake.

"So be it," I said. In an instant, my sniper rifle was out, the barrel was between his eyes, and then I was sprayed by a mist of red. I stepped off of the body and turned to the remaining Hawks. "Who now leads," I shouted.

"I do," one said, stepping forward. "And I will see you dead for-"

KA-POW!

His head disappeared, as did part of his backside. He fell like a rock and zebras backed away from the corpse.

"You barbaric-" Another started to shout, but met a similar end.

"Now, who leads?" I stared down at the zebra as they looked around at each other. Finally one stepped forward. My rifle was instantly targeting him and I glared.

"I will lead my tribe away from this site," he said nervously. "The war is done. You are victorious, and we will leave the canyon." There was no anger in his eyes. I only saw sorrow as he began to walk away. The others followed after a moment's hesitation. As they disappeared around the corner, I took a deep breath and calmed myself. I finally noticed the cheering behind me, and turned to see nearly every member of the Silent Deer tribe on the edge of the river, stomping their hooves and hooting into the air. Everyone cheered... except for Night Rose. She looked up at me and half smiled. I didn't return it. I couldn't. I could only look away. This wasn't how it was supposed to end.


We were on the road again within hours, Chef grumbling about his coat retaining some of the dye. The Deer had wanted to throw a party in our honor, but we'd refused, saying we really had to be on our way. Instead, they restocked our rations and gave us an escort to the end of the canyon. I didn't see Da'riano at all, and I felt sure he would blame me for the loss of his wife. I followed the caravan numbly. Night Rose walked beside me silently. She was waiting for me to speak.

"That went wrong," I said finally, an hour after leaving the canyon. "It was supposed to be bloodless."

"You did what you had to," Night Rose said, hoping to comfort me.

"No I didn't," I replied. "I got an innocent zebra killed, then I lost my temper and killed three more out of anger."

"You ended a two hundred-year-long war," she persisted. "You're a hero to those people."

"I'm no hero," I said bitterly. "I'm no better than that zebra leader."

"Stop right there," she said, stepping in front of me. "You did what you had to do. That zebra's death was not your fault. Te'liana was not your fault. They killed her anyway, despite using her as a bargaining chip. She died for laughs. You didn't kill for fun." Her purple eyes looked deeply into mine. She would tolerate no questions. She then seemed to calm, her voice softening. "As for your reaction to it, that was a normal reaction, I think. Hell, when I first saw what they did, I wanted to torch the camp. Frieda held me back though. 'The ones responsible need to be dealt with,' she said. 'Destroying their campground won't solve anything.'"

I just stood there, listening. I knew she was right, and it wasn't my fault, but I still felt responsible. I was about to say so when my radar went off. I turned and spotted a zebra trotting after us. Da'riano.

I looked forward again and noticed that the caravan had stopped, and everyone was looking at us. Night Rose nuzzled my chest, then went to join Scratch with the last wagon. I turned and faced Da'riano as he came to a halt a meter away. He was dressed in the armor we'd met him in, but a semi-automatic assault rifle was slung across his back. A 10X scope was attached to it. The wind blew between us as we looked each other over.

"Da'riano," I started to say, but he held a hoof up to stop me talking.

"I do not blame you," he said in Zebranese. "The death of my wife is a pain I will bear forever, but her death was not caused by your hooves" He seemed hesitant to continue, but went on nonetheless. "She was... she was sick. There was a pain in her none of our healers could alleviate. It plagued her, kept her from bearing a foal. She hurt so bad sometimes, she begged me to end her life. I am glad her pain is at an end. Do not bear it for her, or for me."

The zebra walked up and put a hoof on my chest, staring into my eyes. "We are brothers, Iron Skin. You released my wife from her torment with your arrival, and while I wish it could have been otherwise, I will love you for it." I didn't understand, not fully, but I nodded and put a hoof to his chest.

"I am eternally sorry for your loss," I said to him. "There is no way I can remove your suffering, but I will gladly accept you as a brother."

"I wish to travel with your party, should you have me," he replied. "Without my wife, the Silent Deer are just a people to me. They understand my wishes and pray for my safety. Will you have me, brother?"

"We will," I said, smiling. "But you had best learn the language of the ponies. I cannot continually be your voice to them or theirs for you."

"I will, brother. You should know that with my people I also leave my name. Before I took the warrior's ritual, I was known as Zirconium. I would like to be known as such again."

"I would be honored to know you as any name you would chose," I replied, bowing. "I expect, though, that my companions may shorten the name for ease of speech. Please take no offense."

He nodded happily, then trotted over to join with Night Rose and Scratch, who hugged him tightly before climbing back onto the wagon. I looked up toward AC at the front, and he nodded knowingly. He then turned away and got the caravan rolling again.

I looked up into the sky, and noticed, for the first time, that there were no clouds above us. The sun shone brightly as it fell to the west. I smiled again, feeling it's warmth on my skin, then fell back in behind the caravan. In the back, I could hear Scratch and Night Rose talking to Da'riano, now Zirconium. They'd already begun teaching him better Equestrian.

My emotions back under control now, I turned inward to examine that packet I'd caught last night. I made sure it couldn't reach out from the quarantine I'd placed it in, then began to open it.

I found several files inside, all tagged with links for major portions of my anatomy. I deleted each one after a careful dissection of its code. It was remarkable. Each line was a perfect replica of my motion control codes, right down to the coordination matrixes. And with each code I dealt with, my worry grew. Whoever this was, they were not only brilliant, but they knew me. From hoof to main, they knew me.

When I came to the last file, my fears doubled. This file was tagged for my Particle Cannon. It was coded to fire it when a certain phrase was heard. No pony besides Night Rose, Winter Frost or Tiller had ever known about it, and I haven't been using it since discovery.

Who the fuck was this pony?


Footnote: Level Up!

New Perk: Mysterious Stranger - He wears a duster and Stetson, concealing his true identity. When using S.A.T.S., you will sometimes receive help in the form of this pistol-wielding mystery.

Bonus Perk: Red Eyes - Whenever one of your companions becomes incapacitated, you gain +50 damage, and AP refills as soon as S.A.T.S. ends. (Meaning infinite S.A.T.S. until your companion rises again)