• Published 19th May 2015
  • 6,901 Views, 148 Comments

And they shall know no fear - Naroe_Clan



The Adeptus Astartes, great defenders of mankind. Unless they're just some guy who's been thrust into being one due to the whims of fate and some sort of extra-dimensional being. (a displaced story.)

  • ...
19
 148
 6,901

Chapter 7: zebras and zweihanders

“...So yeah, to cut a long zoological lecture short for those of us who weren't listening, zebras aren't actually different races of ponies like Pegasi and Unicorns.” finishes Chaplain as the group nears Zecora's house. Rainbow Dash looks up from her hovering position and shoots a half-hearted glare at him as he indicates he's finally done talking. Twilight walks next to him, listening intently as Rarity pretends to do the same. Fluttershy continues trying to hide behind Rainbow, glancing out from behind her occasionally only to dart back. Pinkie is laying down on Chaplain's massive backpack and snoring loudly, almost falling off every time she breathes in.

The group stops in front of the tribal-looking house, all of the ponies looking around cautiously. Chaplain walks up to the door and carefully knocks a few times. The group stares for a moment before the door opens, revealing a certain striped mare holding an ornate curved sword with one hoof. “Whosoever shall try...” Zecora stops for a moment to blink and look up. And up. And up again for good measure. “...oh my.”

Chaplain kneels and leans down so that he's only half again as tall as the zebra before saying “Greetings shaman. I would like to introduce you to this group of ponies who have evidently been part of your trouble with the local village, and let them attempt to apologize for their recent activities against your fine self.”

Applejack takes that as her cue to say “That's a long-winded way o' sayin' that he gave us a talkin' to and we sorta realized we've not been very neighborly and that we're right sorry.”

Zecora continues staring at Chaplain for a moment before answering. “I thank you for the sense, late as it may be. Though may I ask why it is delivered by a creature larger than many a tree?”

Chaplain chuckles at that, rocking slightly but evidently not enough to stop Pinkie's continued snoring. “My appearance may be strange, but I suppose that would most probably be because I am unique in this world. And as to why it is I who am partly responsible for delivering this message? I suppose that an outsider's perspective is required sometimes in order for a mistake to be realized. That aside, on to other business. Our entire group, and especially one of our number, would like to know where exactly a filly who came this way is at the moment.”

Zecora backs off slightly, looking suspicious and slightly angry. “Might you mean the one almost ended by fire? One upon which I saw you light the pyre?”

Chaplain bows his head slightly in deference to the zebra. “I do apologize for any danger you may have believed you and the filly were in, but I assure you that no one was in any danger from my pyrotechnic display. And now, whether or not you believe me a danger, you will bring forward the missing filly unless...”

In the middle of speaking Chaplain stops moving entirely, drawing odd looks from all the ponies around him and especially the zebra in front of him. After several seconds he reaches up to Pinkie, grabbing her and putting her on the ground next to her friends, fully awake in a way only Pinkie can be, at the same time as he quickly rises to his full height and turns around to face the forest.

Everyone continues motionlessly staring at Chaplain until they hear him say “Inside the house. Now.” in an emotionless monotone.

Twilight simply asks “What? Why?” as everyone else notices that the forest has gotten deathly silent besides the barely audible sounds of something heavily breathing coming from somewhere amongst the trees.

Chaplain simply responds by saying “Manticores.” in the same monotone as before. All of the ponies blood runs cold as they spot at least three barely visible scorpion tails waving in-between the branches. Zecora quickly moves out of her doorway and waves the others inside, suspicions momentarily forgotten.

The ponies peer around the doorframe and Applejack quietly says “Chaplain git in here. Them's dangerous critters.”

Chaplain seems to not hear her as he mutters “The forest appears to have forgotten me. I suppose a reminder is in order.”

He begins to walk towards the monsters, to the muffled protestations of the ponies. As he walks he reaches to the side and out of nowhere a massive sword drops from the air above him and into his outstretched hand. He gives it a few quick swings and then holds it at his side, continuing his march all the while. About halfway between the house and the manticores he stops walking, swings his sword vertically in front of himself and holds it there as he pushes a button on the crossguard, causing electricity to race up and down the blade in vicious arcs as the blade itself begins to glow an otherworldly blue.

He stands there for just a moment before leaping forward faster than any of the ponies can follow, swinging his sword as he disappears from view.

Author's Note:

so yeah...writing occurred eventually.

so I'm following the cutie mark laboratories season one timeline for anyone interested. (linkage - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvhr1pdHSrI )