• Published 19th May 2015
  • 6,883 Views, 148 Comments

And they shall know no fear - Naroe_Clan



The Adeptus Astartes, great defenders of mankind. Unless they're just some guy who's been thrust into being one due to the whims of fate and some sort of extra-dimensional being. (a displaced story.)

  • ...
19
 148
 6,883

Chapter 6: agility and ancestry

Applejack races ahead of her friends, muttering “Dernit, Applebloom” to herself every few seconds.

She just had to go after Zecora, didn't she. Won't ever listen to me warning her, will she... Well I won't let her get hurt, oh no. If that weird pony, or zebra, or whatever touches a single hair on her head she'll get what's coming to her!

The group stops for a moment as Rainbow Dash yells out “There they are!”, pointing to a red tail pulling around a bend in the path they're galloping along. They all pick up their pace for a few seconds before hearing Twilight ask “Does anypony hear that weird noise?”

Applejack continues running for several more seconds before she hears it too.

It sounds like something growling. Loudly. It's getting closer!

As one the group of friends realize that whatever is making the noise is behind them, and stop to spin around and see what at first just looks like a cloud of dust and dirt flying into the air, like some massive creature is running along the road without caring how much damage it does.

As the group all start to get ready for a fight or try to make themselves non-threatening, they start to discern a figure at the front of the cloud. Whatever it is, it's moving very fast straight at them and doesn't seem to be slowing down at all.

Upon seeing this, Fluttershy tries to hide behind her mane, Rainbow Dash and Applejack both enter fighting stances, and Rarity and Twilight begin charging spells on their horns as Pinkie Pie sits down and stares with a smile on her face.

The figure rapidly gets close enough to the ponies that they can discern that it is definitely not a natural creature. It is made of massive slabs and pipes of black metal with one rapidly spinning wheel visible to the group, and a white semi-spherical object attached seemingly precariously on top.


My entire sense of hearing is drowned out by the music inside my helmet as I ride towards the mane 6 on one of my specially designed bikes. I'm having great fun trying to see if I can get the thing to go even faster as the ponies rapidly get closer.

I wonder if painting the next one red would do anything. Something to try some other time. Getting to maneuvering spot in 3, 2, 1.

At the end of my mental countdown, I slam the brakes on, spin the bike to the side and thrust out my right arm to catch the ground. I bend my arm slightly as it impacts, taking the new crater in the road into my calculations and then push off and throw myself and my bike into the air and over the astonished stares of the ponies.

My calculations prove exact as I kick the bike further and roll to my feet, watching my vehicle land right in the middle of a patch of blue flowers, just far enough behind a certain Zebra and Filly and a good distance ahead of the other group of ponies still staring slack-jawed at me.

I turn around to face towards the main group and summon a pair of sunglasses to put over my helmet as I do so. I remain staring at them for another couple seconds before I see the flash from the firebomb on my bike detonating. It took me quite a while to get it set up just right so that it'll just make a quick flashy fire and not actually hurt anyone, but it was so worth it to see the looks on their faces.


Applejack continues staring blankly at the black behemoth before her group, vaguely remembering that he's called Chaplain or something. It's taking a little while for her brain to reboot after that stunt he just pulled.

Off to the side, both Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash airily mutter “so aaawesooome.” as Fluttershy tries to become even smaller. Rarity and Twilight seem to both be in a similar state as Applejack, evidenced by their mouths hanging open in almost the exact same way, although Rarity manages to look slightly disgusted at the same time.

Chaplain points at Pinkie and Rainbow and says “I'm glad that you two liked it. While we wait for your friends to become functional again, any comments?”

Both the ponies addressed start spouting off about how awesome that was, and how they loved the fire, and how scared they were, and other such things as Chaplain holds a hand to his chin and nods contemplatively at what they say.

Eventually, after Rainbow's third repetition of “That was totally awesome!” the rest of the group's brains have stopped going in circles or left their states of shock, and Applejack decides to speak her mind.

“Now listen here, mister! That there stunt was right reckless! Heck, you coulda hurt somepony if you were another couple a' inches down! You're dern lucky that you didn't hit... APPLEBLOOM!”

As Applejack remembers why she was here in the first place, she starts to rush forward only to be stopped by a massive hand blocking her way.

“Now I'm gonna have to stop you there.” Applejack quickly looks absolutely furious before Chaplain continues. “I know for a fact that your sister is fine and I'll show you shortly, but if you continued running then you'd get into all sorts of trouble and I think that your adventures in speciesism should end right about here.”

“Ah ain't bein' speciesist! That's ridiculous talk!”

“And how exactly would you explain cowering in fear and shunning a zebra because you thought she looked weird?”

Applejack continues to look defiant and opens her mouth for a rebuttal before she stops and thinks for several seconds. After that, her mouth closes with an audible 'clack' and she looks down at her hooves somewhat ashamedly.

At that, Pinkie cuts in with “But why was she digging in the street? And staring into windows? And being spooky and weird?!”

“Because she's wanting to shop for supplies and getting understandably frustrated when ponies shut their doors whenever she enters town. Trust me, taking out anger on the road and with glares is the least I would say she has a right to do.”

Pinkie reacts in exactly the same way Applejack had moments before. Sort of creepily exact when the other ponies think about it later. Chaplain sees Pinkie and Applejack looking sad and dejected and says “Now stop that. You both look like you just kicked puppies. C'mon and lets try talking to Zecora.”

Pinkie responds by bouncing up and yelling “Yay! Adventure trip with Grampa Pie!” which makes the rest of the ponies spin around to stare at her with weird looks on their faces.

Chaplain turns towards Pinkie and says “I suspected as much! You look just like your seventy-six times great grandmother! C'mere and give me a hug!”

And Pinkie does just that, leaping into his extended arms, disappearing for a moment behind his massive arms as he gently hugs her. The entire rest of the group stare in complete incomprehension at the whole thing, eventually managing to mutter “what?” all at the exact same time. Even Fluttershy manages to join in on the group's confusion.

Chaplain chuckles at this, lifting Pinkie up and setting her down upon one of his shoulderpads where she stands quite nicely as he says “Adoptive of course. I was lonely and wanted a family about fourteen hundred years ago so I adopted Pinkie's ancestor, cute little Angelcake. Anyway, world shattering revelations aside, shall we continue to Zecora's house?”

The rest of the ponies shake off Pinkie's heritage and agree, so they continue on through a clear patch of forest that was covered in blue flowers just a few minutes ago.