• Published 20th May 2015
  • 335 Views, 3 Comments

My Little Apocalypse - LoopyBunny53



The time of friendship being magic is over. The Earth Pony Rebellion has made it's mark. Now is the time to survive The Boondocks.

  • ...
5
 3
 335

Chapter Two: Wings

Nurse Redheart was right, the next few weeks were torture. The pain by my withers were unbearable. I did do as she asked though and went to see her every day. Though my travels there were never easy ponies in this Ranch either despise me, are terrified of me, or just ignore me. They often threw rotten apples at me or even rotten eggs. I've tried to take another back route before but the annoying TrackerJack beeps and vibrates at me. Some unicorns even use magic to block my path even going so far as to disable my door a few times. I'm not supposed to be a mechanic pony, I can't fix the door on my own.

I sighed walking to Nurse Redheart's room, the pain in my back is excruciating. Looking up I saw the red heart and white cross. Holding up my TrackerJack do the sensor a hiss and a pop opened the door. Nurse Redheart poked her head out of an unknown room.

"Ahh, Spades, come to this room please."

My mind began to wander, Why am I not going to room 04 again? For the past week or so I have been heading to the same room, Room 04. I shook my had expelling all doubts. Nurse Redheart knows what she is doing. I told myself.

Padding back to the unlabeled room I peered inside the door. What I saw I couldn't even believe, a stable bed. One that is not rotting or rickety. These are rare in Ranch LUN and I believe they would be too in all of the other Ranches. This bed was a stable bed unlike the one in room 04 or my shabby room.

Nurse Redheart chuckled at my amazement. "I forgot Quill's beds were rare, seeing this one all of the time made me start to believe that everyone had one just like it."

I shook my head turning to meet her eyes. She looked at me with a smile, her green eyes sparkling in a non-existant light. That smile was was not a big over the top toothy one like most of the ranch residents give me. But a genuine smile, like one deep from her heart. I smiled back at her with closed eyes.

She giggled a little, "please come and lay down Spades." She asked of me to do.

Opening my eyes once again I nodded to her walking over to the two steps that the bed head. I began heading up the steps much to the protest of my aching back. Grunting I laid on the bed my back to the ceiling. I could hear the clip, clop of Nurse Redheart's hooves. Turning my head I saw her climbing up the two stairs herself. Examining my whithers I felt Redheart place a hoof down. I grunted a shooting pain raced across my neck, legs, and back. The pain arched like the branches on a lightning bolt, destroying all in it's path.

Nurse Redheart nodded climbing down the two stairs. "The wings tips are ready to break the skin surface."

I looked at her puzzlement taking my face, "so what does that mean?"

Nurse Redheart sighed, "it means that this will be one hay of a ride. This will be painful and one of the worst experiences in your life. I will be the only physician here to be able to help you through this. In a few minutes there may be a chance you will break into a mild fever.

I looked down thoughts once again racing around my head.

Nurse Redheart came back over to me her horn levitating a thermometer. Popping the thermometer into my mouth she walked back to the pine cabinets they are no better than the ones in 04. She levitated a back from the top of the cabinet, it was white with no label, or none that I could see. Placing the bag on the floor she used her right fore hoof to smash the bag causing a POP! I blinked staring at her my eyebrows cocked and my head tilting to one side.

"Ice pack, for the pain." She told me in a monotone voice. Grabbing the pack with her mouth she padded over to me. Levitating the thermometer out of my mouth, she studied it. Placing the ice pack on my back she said, "100.5."

Resting my head on the pillow I asked her, "How in the hay do you know all this?" I used to not use profane words around her.

She turned away walking to the cabinets again. She grabbed a towel in one of them using levitation. "My mother knew Morningdrop very well. As you should know your mother knew exactly what happened when your father grew his wings. She was the one to help him with his predicament. Morningdrop gave all her knowledge to my mother."

As Nurse Redheart dropped the towel on the head of the bed by my snout a horrible agonizing pain erupted in my back. My eyes widened the breath ripped from my lungs. As I lay there gasping for breath Nurse Redheart stopped dead in her tracks. "Oh no! It started!" She galloped over to one of the pine cabinets pushing the gross door open she grabbed a metal bowl with levitation. Placing the bowl on the head of the bed. She grabbed a pitcher from beside a rusty old faucet and filled it with cold water placing that on a stool.

A wave of pain raced over my lower body like an electric shock causing my legs to spaz and flail against my will, the metal bowl crashing to the floor with a clang. "It hurts!" I gasped more air being stripped away.

Redheart raced back over to me, grabbing the grungy towel shoving it into my mouth. "Bite on this! So you won't bite your tongue!"

I did as she said and bit down hard on the old scrap of fabric, my eyes shut tight. I tried to steady my breath but when ever I manage to do so it just gets yanked away by an invisible force. My eyes began to water, 'the world is cruel, always punishing me like this.'

Redheart spoke again, "The wing tips are breaking the you'll feel a sharp sting."

I focused my stinging eyes on a dust bunny in the right corner of the room.

Nurse Redheart smacked her hoof on the floor several times my ears only registering a few words of hers, "Spades____you____feel_____pain____wings___stretch. After____just___rest!"]

My eyes shut tight as a few tears managed to escape another horrible spasm broke out on my back. Dropping the towel out of mouth I let out a bone chilling scream. It ripped at my throat, turning it raw but that was all I had to ease most of the excruciating pain. My head dropped to the table and my eyes closed. Taking the first large breath in several minutes, I finally began to slip out of consciousness.

I regained consciousness once in the night. Nurse Redheart was sitting a little behind me. Something wet and cold brushed down m back and wings, the water. Nurse Redheart was singing a lullaby that I could expect Equestrians singing before they were called as Ranch Ponies. "Hush now, quiet now
It's time to lay your sleepy head
Hush now, quiet now
It's time to go to bed"

Closing my eyes again I felt more water brushed on my wings. My legs felt cold and heavy, my head filled with a large migraine. Hearing Redheart's singing voice and her soft muttering calmed me even on one my worst days. Nurse Redheart was the only pony that ever seemed like my friend, even though she seemed uncomfortable near me. Her soft lullaby lulling me back to blissful sleep.

Author's Note:

So here is Chapter Two. As you can expect this will be updated everyday. I can promise you that Spades will NOT be a Marty Stu so don't worry. Also please do not judge this story too early it is only chapter two.

Vote
Like
Comment
And, Stay Pony My Friends