• Published 16th May 2015
  • 1,240 Views, 58 Comments

Changeling War Reenactment - Teal



Welcome to Ponyville's first Changeling War Reenactment. Everpony is welcome to join in the festivities, just as long as you don't forget to bring your costume.

  • ...
1
 58
 1,240

Chapter 1

Changeling War Reenactment

By

Teal

Chapter 1

Walking out of the book store, Twilight bore a huge smile on her face as she levitated a newly bought book in front of her.

The book was an ancient spell book, a vintage and a rare one, containing a large collection of spells that were used by of unicorns’ ages ago. She used to have the exact same book in the Golden Oaks Library, but after the incident with Tirek, her copy, as well as countless amounts of other valuable books, was destroyed. So she was very glad to have stumbled upon one during her weekly trip to the bookstore.

She had begun visiting the bookstore every week, in hopes of refilling the valuable books that she lost. So she was really happy to see that these weekly missions were working, as she started to find copies of some of the books that she thought she would never see again.

Excited of having another copy of the rare book, she trotted through the streets with the book open, feeding her eyes with the words written while she made her way through town towards her home.

Thanks to the help of her friends and the addition of more homey things inside the large castle, the place was starting to feel like a true home, instead of an empty structure that she used to be afraid to stay in. With the addition of the books that she kept on buying in a weekly basis, she knew that it would only be a matter of time before the place ended up as an upgraded version of the tree library.

Trotting through the street while scanning the book that was levitating in front of her, she made her way through town towards her Crystal Castle.

As she trotted through town, she received some friendly greeting and remarks from the local residence. who were now technically her subjects. Giving polite and cheerful greeting, they waved the hooves as they smiled at their newly appointed and all powerful sovereign leader.

In response to their friendly greetings and remarks, Twilight tried to return it by mumbling a response or giving a nod or two. She would have liked to have given a more decent and friendly reply, but her attention was too focused on the book to care about those around her.

Despite having read them before, the spells written were just too fascinating for her to ignore. Like an urge that was too difficult to explain, she kept on reading, giving little consciousness to the world around her.

But as she made her way, passing by the town market, there was one strange and confusing detail that would soon bring her back from the realm of reading.

Passing by two ponies who were heading the opposite direction, she heard the two greet her with a friendly ‘Hello’ as they crossed each other. Twilight returned the greeting with a small nod and some mumbling, not really caring at the moment who they were, as she was reading a spell that was said to have trace its routes from the famous Star Swirl the Bearded.

But as the two ponies went by, something on her peripheral vision caught Twilight’s attention, as she stopped and gently lowered the book. Surprised, she slowly turned her head to see if her mind was playing tricks on her.

But with a turn of her head, she saw and learned that her peripheral vision was not lying.

Staring behind her, she gazed towards one of the ponies who passed her and felt dazed with amazement. She just couldn’t believe it.

Right there, trotting away, was a lavender colored unicorn, with a sapphire blue and dark pink mane, which was similar to her own. Giving the pony a strange look, Twilight’s eyes soon fell upon the pony’s flank, where she spotted a crude looking version of her own cutie mark. Despite some errors on the shape and color, the cutie mark still held a slight resemblance to her own, which made her confused and stunned. Having lived at Ponyville for more than a year, she had already known everypony who had lived there and she didn’t remember anypony who had a cutie mark that resembled hers.

As a matter of fact, she didn’t remember anypony who not only had a similar looking cutie mark, but also held an appearance that was similar to hers.

Sure, there were some differences, with a slightly different build and mane cut, but the fact that the pony looked almost alike to her was a stunning and shocking sight.

How could this be? What does this mean? Why was there an almost similar looking pony of her? All of these questions circled her head, as she panicked internally. Her gaze was glued towards the pony, who was trotting farther and farther away till she was lost through the distance.

But despite losing visual range, Twilight gaze continued to look afar, with her unmoving and her mind racing to seek answers.

This left Twilight standing with her face blank in the middle of the market place, with ponies passing by and giving her strange looks.

She continued to hold this statue like position till a familiar voice called to her.

“Oh, hey Twilight.” She heard somepony call, snapping her out of her trance.

Turning to see who it was, she looked in front of her to see her reliable and number one assistant, Spike.

Immediately, Twilight began to explain to him what she just saw, hoping that the young dragon would understand. But as she got a longer look at him, she began to notice that there was something odd and off with his look.

Wearing silver colored armor plating, the young dragon stood in front of her, stiff and seemingly uncomfortable. From top to bottom, Spike was plated with this armor, with a helmet protecting his head, and platting that covered the rest of his body. Brightly polished and reflecting under the sun’s gaze, the armor would have looked magnificent if it weren’t for Spike’s small and stub build. All in all, with all the metal plating, he looked like a walking can of soda, a bright and shiny can of soda.

“Uhh…Spike…” Twilight began, staring at the dragon. “…what exactly are you wearing?”

“Oh you mean this?” Spike asked, gesturing to his armor. “You like it? I just got it today, just in time too.”

“Just in time, in time for what? She asked, pondering why Spike would need to wear a costume. Especially one that looked uncomfortable and hot. “You do know that it isn’t Nightmare Night yet, right? Besides, I thought you said you were going as that sidekick from one of your comics.”

“He’s name is Hum Drum.” Spike informed her. “And no, this is not my Nightmare Night costume. Also, this isn't a costume, but a replica uniform.”

“A replica uniform?” Twilight asked staring at him and raising her eyebrows.

“Yup…” He said, giving a proud pose. “…this uniform here is a replica of the armor worn by the 3rd Battalion of the 2nd Solar Guard.” He then finished it off by tapping the chest plate, giving off a solid thud.

“Okay then…” She trailed, still confused why he was wearing that. “…so why do you need that replica uniform thing?”

“Why, for today’s reenactment of course!” Spike exclaimed, pulling out a sheet of paper and holding it in front of Twilight.

Staring at the paper, she read the large bold letters written in front of it.

“The Changeling War Reenactment?”

Author's Note:

After hearing M.A. Larson mentioning it in this video, I just couldn't help myself.

Thanks M.A. Larson!