• Published 11th May 2015
  • 3,084 Views, 16 Comments

The Orchestrator - Blitz Habanera Tuscania



Discord is an old creature, far older than the planet he calls home. He remembers of a war that had long passed and is happy to play around with the ponies. Until a relic from that ancient war returns, ignorant as ever and just as prideful.

  • ...
7
 16
 3,084

Passive-Aggressive

A Psychopath is better than no path.


Discord hovered silently in space watching the near invisible monstrosity in front of him, the sides of the ship seeming to absorb all the light that shone in its direction, making it nigh-impossible to tell how big it was. But he could tell it was pretty big just judging by the near invisible specks of magic walking around inside, a huge distance apart were those wandering around.

Every known organism had some level of magic in it, even inanimate objects often had magic thanks to the amount of ponies or what have you wandering about. The beings on the ship except for the one warping their magic, all had less than a ordinary rock’s level of magic, seeming just enough for them to live. They were all clustered together in seven clumps, a few specks walking around elsewhere on the ship.

The being warping the magic was to the left of the ship, its magic lashing out wildly around it as it seemed to acknowledge his presence while everypony else on the ship didn’t notice. The surprising thing was the longer he watched the ship and judged how to teleport inside, without accidentally ending up inside a wall, the more the magic warped around that creature of war. Now instead of an average unicorn he was more or less equal to one of the archmages that were just under the alicorns.

It was feeding off the little bit and pieces that its fellows were emanating, like a parasite would. The question was how many were on that ship, because an archmage was certainly more powerful than something less magical than a rock. Normally he would have just flown towards it instead of just floating in boredom for five minutes, but he remembered a few things.

Namely that those in that war of long ago either worshipped magic users or were inherently afraid of them so much they’d do literally anything to get rid of them. And as such they had made weapons specifically to kill those with more magic than them. He wouldn’t risk getting shot at yet, he could easily handle moving inside the ship, it wasn’t like there’d be large corridors or anything. With close quarters he could just phase through walls, turn into mist, invisible, warp the ship or any other assortment of things and he’d be fine in there. Out in open space they wouldn’t have to do anything except fill the emptiness with whatever they wanted to try and kill him.

His tongue probed the bubble of air he had in his mouth as he thought that last bit over. There was always a chance that they were just refugees, despite that overwhelming sense of malice on the ship. Refugees would be hateful wouldn't they? That line of thinking kept him from just snapping his fingers to make a black hole in the heart of the ship.

He silently sighed and panicked slightly as his bubble of air slipped out of his mouth, encased in his magic and quickly popped back into his mouth. Rolling his head around and eliciting a few silent cracks he went over the area he was thinking of teleporting into, an area that had so many magic signatures it was almost bright, despite them all being individually weak and dull.

There were a few that floated above the crowd every few seconds, while they all widely moved around with little rhyme or rhythm. Shrugging he set his sights on that space above them all and snapped his fingers, teleporting straight into the ship.

Where he was immediately assaulted by strobing lights, the thumping bass of music, the smell of alcohol, smell of sweat from dancing and that disgusting stench of drugs always present at raves. He had half a second to see all this before the lights flicked back to regular white life, tinged with a red throb and what sounded conspicuously like an alarm sounded throughout the ship.

Which made the near tangible ocean of beings under him pause in their dancing to look around in confusion, before they all started to shout at him, or about him to their fellows. Understandably a few guns and other assorted instruments of violence were brought to be leveled at him and the air started to fill with lasers, a rainbow of them to be exact. From the bloodiest of reds to the skyiest of blues, yes skyiest was a word. For Discord anyways.

He merely snapped his fingers and teleported a few thousand feet away, throwing many of them into confusion about where he went, while he himself looked around to see where he was. The massive room he was in stretched far above him and far out to either side of him, in front of where he was looking was the empty blackness of space and behind him was what looked like a hazy wall, meaning it was barely within view of him.

He snapped his fingers again as they found him again, and he appeared standing on top of one of the ships, painted a horrible cliche red and black, white skulls adorning it at random intervals. Peering at it and lowering his claw to it, a minor pulse of his magic emitting from the claw and throughout the ship docked inside the one he was in. The pulse more or less acted like a superior form of echolocation, giving him an inside view of the ship and its size.

What he got back was worrying. A full kilometer long, and whatever and/or wherever this thing was docked in completely dwarfed it, and just by looking to the sides he could see ships bigger than the one he was standing on. Not to mention that ocean of aliens. Speaking of which he heard an odd buzzing sound.

He snapped his fingers again as some bug like, four-winged thing slammed into the deck where he had been. He viewed it from above and rolled his eyes, briefly getting blinded by the red klaxons overhead, still vibrating the ship. Well he could easily tell from both the magic being drawn towards that alien casually walking in the opposite direction, and by the obvious disarray from those running about below, nobody down there were one of the leaders. And as such he’d have to go looking for the one in charge.

The easiest choice would be the one bending magic just by existing, but the closer he got to said being the more magic he was feeding off of and even now as far as the distance was between the two of them he was getting almost as powerful as one of the alicorn sisters. Not good, so first he’d see if that alien is just a soldier instead of the one in charge hopefully.

Looking in the opposite direction he flapped his wings and shot off in a blur, a sonic boom sounding behind him as he did so, knocking away a few flying aliens that had tried to grab him.


He paused, as the massive being of pure Void suddenly started to move in the opposite direction, not taking his bait like he had intended. Cursing under his breath he reached into his suit’s pocket and withdrew a old timey phone, something that he insisted on using since it was impractical and outdated, meaning any would be spies wouldn’t be paying attention to the old radio waves. Hell most of the freaks he’d talk to on the ship didn’t even know what a phone was.

He dialed a series of numbers on it and lifted it up to his ear, immediately having One respond to him. “Query, I take it you are calling about our guest on the ship?”

He nodded despite One not being there. “Yeah of course I am, tell me you found a supply of Void Field Generators on this ship right?”

“Statement, yes a large supply located all over the ship. Query, do you want me to turn them all on? Statement, it would be more then enough to encompass the entire ship.”

He laughed before pinning the phone between his cheek and shoulder, rolling up the sleeves on his suit. “No no, not yet. I want to see what our guest is capable of, do turn on a few of our Void Fields and force him towards me. Oh also make sure my crew stays out of the way, I’m going to check out this new shit I’m getting.” He idly said, his hands held up in front of his face as if he could see something nobody else could. “Don’t forget to give me a little tune for this jig either One, or it’ll be your data in my firepit.”

“Acknowledged.” One shut down his end of the line and he sighed, dropping the old relic to the floor and smashing it underfoot, not wanting it to be bumping against him as he jumped around and distracting him. The shadow behind him seemed to revel in the minor act of anger and jumped upwards slightly, inky lines moving upwards. Without so much as glancing he let himself fall backwards, and disappeared into the shadow, it hungrily swallowing him whole before disappearing to as if it never existed.


Discord snapped his fingers again as another blast of plasma came from the side, intending to sever his wings with a well placed shot, which thanks to the now empty spot where he had been, it smashed into an exposed panel of wiring, sending sparks flying everywhere as the wires melted and fused together. The lights in the hallway flickered dangerously as all the wires started to send energy into one another and turned on random functions, ranging from the blast doors to blockades meant for cover.

Discord didn’t see any of that as he had already teleported into the adjacent hallway, where inevitably a few seconds later another group of aliens would come flying in one what looked like skateboards, bikes, arrows and more, the hallways somehow being more then enough for them to fly together in a swarm. Sighing he flapped his wings as he noticed the whistling of air starting to die down, the whistle picking up again as he broke the sound barrier, a resounding boom echoing off the walls behind him.

Far ahead down the curving hallway he saw a huge piece of the wall sliding up, a giant metal box with blades on it and one massive stick pointing out the top of it glide out, said stick pointing at him. It didn’t take him even half a second to realize what it was pointing at him, before snapping his fingers again, not teleporting himself this time but instead the box with a massive gun all the way behind him. It paused and made to turn its stick towards him before returning to facing the way he had teleported it and glided down the hallway, another piece of the wall sliding up and out of the way for it.

He held himself in the air, his magic coating the entire hallway, wondering why it decided to ignore him before noticing something about his magic. It was the only major source on the ship still. The one absorbing all the magic like a black hole was gone, along with all the magic he had absorbed thus far. There was no way in hell that it should have been able to disappear with that massive amount of magic it had leeched off of him.

All that was left were the massive gathering of tiny pinpricks of magic, signifying the aliens, scrambling as fast they could to get away from him. Then they disappeared entirely in the blink of an eye, as if covered up by a massive shadow.

He frowned, looking down both ways of the corridor. Something wasn’t right at all about the magic disappearing, there was no such thing as energy just plain disappearing under any set of circumstances. As he felt for magic around the ship he noticed the pinpricks that showed the other aliens, far away from him, were encompassed too by nothingness, blacking out in an instant.

For the first time in a long time he felt the slightest bit nervous, magic didn’t just stop existing and he’d recognize a portal or teleportation spell being used. Magic flowed up and down his arms, expecting something to happen soon.

When a bipedal being suddenly came out of the floor like a vampire would a coffin, head lowered and hands in black pants, its three neon green rows of hair on its head clashing with the otherwise black suit set-up he had on, the only other non black thing being the brownish tie hanging haphazardly off its neck. It was the thing that had been bending magic towards it like a black hole, the thing he had intentionally avoided on this ship.

It glanced up at him with a hairless face, a small scar above it’s right eye horizontal with it, and gave him a small honest smile. Small beady eyes peered at him from the dark pupils, a small nose separating the two, and an assortment of miniscule scars peppering its face almost like freckles. Seemingly no ill intent behind the smile, hands coming out of the pockets with no mysterious devices held as it continued to walk towards him, arms stretched downwards and out to the side as if to point out the fact it wasn’t holding anything. The thing that unnerved him most right now, besides how much it was guzzling on his magic like a ravenous beast, was the fact it had completely disappeared with all that magic and then re-appeared like that just down the hall with no warning.

His neck curved back slightly and he frowned at the alien, his one fang wiggling slightly as he spoke. “Now what are you?” The alien’s eyebrows raised as he asked it but continued walking closer to him as if it hadn’t heard him. Discord took this as it saying it didn’t care, and snapped his fingers a massive pole flashing into existence, held in lightly in his talons. Then he jabbed the creature, shoving it back a few hoofs, then made the pole elongate itself and shoved it back even farther, up until the point where it had originated from.

It smirked at him and stopped, content to stand where he had pushed it, raising both its arms up until they were horizontal, hands completely flat. The magic the alien had been storing away suddenly stopped swirling inside him a cacophony of every type and color of magic, instead becoming deathly still. Only he and the Alicorns knew that magic came in different colors, corresponding with different types of magic, as they were able to see it unlike the average pony, griffon or what have you. And as he watched all the different types of magic slowly began to darken and turn into the same type, being corrupted by the alien as it stood there a smirk void of emotion. Just a smirk.

The reds for rage, yellows for fear, pink for love and etc. all slowly turned a deathly black. No, not black. That meant it was a color, the way this was being corrupted was so much that it seemed to become non-existent, fading away into nothingness like all the other magic had done on this ship, before suddenly jutting out from both its arms in a solid flood of corrupted magic.

Its arms were now encased in shadows, licking and jumping at the air every few seconds, shadows extending far past its hands, slowly thinning out until they were as thin as blades. It lowered both arms to the floor, the blades just sliding through the floor like it was something softer than butter. Throughout this Discord had just watched amazed, something in his countless millennia of existence that was completely new to him.

Under any other circumstance he’d be skipping around the alien, poking and prodding it with toothpicks, canes, and anything he wanted. But as of right now it was absorbing as much of his magic as it could, it was on what he easily recognized as a warship, and it looked like it had come from its own war.

The alien lowered itself slightly, arching its back and held its sword-arms outwards, one pointed at him and the other held out to the side. Its hand glided up out of the shadow of the sword and made a ‘come hither’ gesture at him, trying to goad him into attacking. Discord shook his head no and the alien frowned, the flow of stolen magic dying off slightly, now lowering itself to not even a tenth of its previous level.

It sighed and turned around, the shadows around its arms crackling off piece by piece and disintegrated in the light of the hallway. Then it started walking away from him.

He didn’t need to have watched any type of movies or read any books to know what came next. A sword, that was just a giant Candy Cane, found its way into his griffon claw, not wanting to actually fight it. But it was better he learned exactly what it was capable of on its ship, less collateral.

Well less collateral he cared about anyways.

The alien took another step and whirled around, shadow suddenly around its right arm as it swung downwards with that arm. A piece of shadow extending up and through the ceiling followed suit, the ceiling far above their heads parting like Celestia’s lips do for cake, intending to cut him in half.

He simply twirled to the side and let the whip fly through the floor, looking back up to the alien. To see it getting ready to punch him, the spot where it had been just a moment ago exploding in a festival of shrapnel and wires. He became a blur himself as he rapidly stepped out of the way and swung the curved end of his Candy Cane sword into its neck and brought it slamming down into the ground.

Just for the alien to go through the ground like air, all the magic disappearing again as it fake owner had. Then it blared to life right behind him, causing him to whirl around with his Candy Cane sword again, raised above his head, to block the sword it had turned its leg into. Realizing he had noticed it, it smirked and continued through with its kick.

But instead of his arms shaking even the slightest from the magically powered kick it instead turned into a hook, allowing it to effortlessly turn its attention from the spot he was keeping protected and instead swipe at his exposed midsection. Discord simply let go of the Candy Cane sword and reversed gravity for himself, letting the alien swipe at empty air and continue its arc.

When it finished its arc it stood on his Candy Cane sword, glowering at him. It flashed its canines at him and clapped its hands together. He raised one of his eyebrows at that when two massive amounts of magic appeared in the walls to either side of him. Only his reflexes making his wings snap him forward saved him, as two pillars of shadows suddenly jumped out at him, intent on smashing him.

He snapped his fingers once again and teleported behind where the alien was, just to find it gone again. Along with all its magic. Again. How the hell was it doing this? His head swiveled around on a pin to try and see where it had gone, since he couldn’t sense it yet again with his magic.

That didn’t matter as he watched the hallway dim, the light being sucked away into the walls by the shadows oozing out of non-existent cracks, the heat that came with said light going too. A fine crystalline mist sprayed from his mouth as he stood on the cold steel floor, not knowing what would happen next. He idly noticed the complete absence of sound, the song playing earlier now completely silent, as if it was afraid of enraging the monster making this abomination of magic. He sniffed at the air, hoping for some telltale hint of where the monster was at but smelled nothing but his own sweat, cold and pathetic on his hair and body.
His tongue flicked at his chapped lips, waiting for the monster to make its move, the shadows now covering the entire hallway and seeming to roll back and forth as if taunting him for not understanding what was happening. A single draconic head lifted up and seemed to look at him, despite having no eyes and blending into the background of shadows, teeth unseen but known to be there as it silently snarled. Then it lunged at him.

He threw up a simple wall of legos (magically enhanced legos), and a dent matching the overall shape of the head appeared in the wall. His earlier sense of dread now seeming like it was for nothing, if it couldn’t get through something as paltry as this. Then something hissed seemingly right next to his ear, making him jump slightly as he realized another one of those serpent heads appeared out of the shadow filled hallway. He re-appeared in the air fifty hooves away from them, mentally berating himself for not noticing one so close.

As he floated off the shadowy floor he realized something. Dozens more of those serpents were appearing, more and more of his own magic being poured into them as they snapped at him. But no sign of the alien itself anywhere among all the serpentine heads now gazing at him, the only way of him noticing being the magic that was fueling them. They were practically invisible otherwise since they were quite literally part of the background.

He made note of how much magic they were gathering into their army of heads and the fact that more were appearing by the second, right now he couldn’t tell where the alien was and he couldn’t exactly kill it. He wasn’t sure if it still was one of the war-mongering ones, he did jump onto its ship and was an alien to them himself, but at this rate he would kill the alien. Or it would stop holding back, he could tell it wasn’t going all out in their tiny excuse for a brawl.

He shook his head and teleported fully out of the ship and re-appeared in his room. He took a brief few seconds to wonder about whether to tell Fluttershy and company about this. Then he realized it would be best if he did tell Tia about something for once. This wasn’t a game, it could very well be life or death for those on Equis.


Santi twirled slightly in his pocket ‘dimension’, he wasn’t sure what the hell it was, as he waited for the Void-Walker to reappear, just because it teleported away didn’t mean it wasn’t coming back the moment he stepped out of his ‘dimension’.... he really needed to come up with a term for it sometime. His puppets snapped and hissed at the air, as if they had a life of their own.

Which they didn’t. The moment he stopped manipulating them they all collapsed into pools of tangible shadow, blending in with the hallway. Then the hallway slowly resumed its earlier color and shape, minus being a bit more lifeless than before, but he opted to stay inside using it as a moment to think to himself.

“Hey boss.” Sang a light voice from behind him. He sighed, hoping for some peace and quiet for once.

“What do you want Rune?” He asked not bothering to turn around, knowing full well she’d skip to be in front of him. And that she did, a small girl with black hair to her shoulders, dressed in a full-on sundress get up, complete with hat, skipped to be just in front of him. Despite the fact there was no ground for her to skip on.

“Just wanted to stop by and see whatcha thinking ‘bout…” She trailed off, booping him on the nose with her knuckle.

“Seeing as how you’re in my head, I would think you knew exactly what I’m thinking about.” She shrugged and proceeded to start skipping around him.

“What can I say? We can all agree we like talking to each other more than reading minds, the five of us agreed that’s a bit creepy. So come on… tell me!” She said punctuating it with a violent poke on the back of his head.

He growled at her before sighing again. “Fine, I’m just thinking about whether or not to take the rest of the ship with us, they need a vacation. Half their families, friends and hopes died for this ship and they need a break. And some time to figure out how to use the ship. So we have no idea what the planet that thing came from is like, and I can just barely feel the planet’s Void energy from here.

“Could be filled with beings just like it and they could just snap their fingers and teleport daggers into us. Or it could be the only thing on the planet. I dunno, just trying to think of whether or not it’s a good idea to go all in.”

Rune giggled as she passed by the front of him for the tenth time, stopping and reaching to grab him by the shoulders. “D’awww is somebody getting sentimental? Relax we handled dear brother, the Inter Alliance, and an Abstract being with these guys at our backs. This isn’t any different. Other than new species and all that again.”

Santi merely pushed her off of him and hummed a tune to himself. “I can’t believe I’m listening to you of all people, where’s the others?”

“Chilling in your mind? I dunno it’s a big empty hole in there.” She said blowing a raspberry before disappearing like she didn’t exist. No flash, no fade, no ripple. Just gone.

He pursed his lips as he slowly rotated in the nothingness. “She’s got a point though…”

Author's Note:

Remember, comments appreciated!