• Published 25th Jul 2015
  • 965 Views, 12 Comments

Turnabout Time - Paradox Theory



Twilight is put on trial for an unusual crime.

  • ...
3
 12
 965

Day one: Trial

April 6, 10:00 am
Canterlot Court House

A gavel slammed, causing the room to fall silent.

"We are here for the case of Twilight Sparkle." The Judge announced. "Prosecution, are you ready?"

"The prosecution is ready." Said an orange Unicorn with slicked back red and gold hair.

The Judge nodded, "Defense, are you ready?"

"Yes, your Honor." Rarity answered.

"Oh, Rarity! I didn't expect to see you here. . .then again I didn't expect that you were an attorney either. . ." The judge, who happened to be a brown earth pony, exclaimed.

"Doctor?" Rarity gasped, "But you were at my last case. . . how do you not know I was one?"

"Oh. . . never mind then." The Doctor said rather quickly.

"This is not the time for idle chit-chat." The prosecutor hissed.

"Right." The Doctor agreed, "Then the prosecution may give their opening statement."

"Yesterday morning, Twilight Sparkle was found in her chambers with a filly version of herself. Time Spells of that nature are forbidden and there is no other suspect. This case is open and shut." The prosecutor stated.

"Thank you Mr. Circa." The Doctor said, "I would like to hear more about this, does the Prosecution have a witness?"

"I do," Mr. Circa answered, "Shall I call him?"

"Please." The Doctor asked.

"Then I call the detective to the stand." Mr. Circa announced as a blue pegasus took the stand. "Witness, your name and occupation."

"I'm Silver Wing, and I'm the Head Detective." Silver stated.

"Please testify about the crime scene." The Doctor asked.

"Yes sir." Silver replied.


WITNESS TESTIMONY

--The Crime Scene--

It was about 7:00 am when I received a call.

When I got to the scene, I was confused at first.

Then I saw the Princess's bed.

I arrested her on the spot.

As much as I hate to say it, there wasn't any evidence saying that she didn't do it.

Don't believe me? Ask the witness.


"So there wasn't any evidence?" The Doctor asked.

"Besides the filly and an eyewitness, none." Silver wing replied.

"I see. . . " The Doctor murmured, "Would the defense like to cross examine the witness?"

"I would say so." Rarity replied.


CROSS EXAMINATION

--The Crime Scene--

It was about 7:00 am when I received a call.

"When did you get to the crime scene?" Rarity asked.

"About 7:10." Silver Wing replied.

"Wow, only 10 minutes, that's pretty fast." Malum commented.

"Well, "quick response" is our motto this month." Silver boasted.

"Irrelevant." Circa stated.

"Objection sustained." The Doctor said.


When I got to the scene, I was confused at first.

"Why?" Rarity wondered.

"Because, I'm in charge of homicide investigations. And this certainly isn't one." Silver answered.

"It makes me wonder why I'm even here." The Doctor commented.

"Because the council wants the world to know that time spells are not to be trifled with. But this is also irrelevant." Circa explained. "Witness, you were going to tell us if you found anything?"


Then I saw the Princess's bed.

"What did you see on the bed?" Rarity asked.

"I saw Princess Twilight and her younger self." Silver replied. "There is a law against using time spells."

"I didn't know that." Rarity commented.

"Well, most of the time spells are destroyed so-"

"Still irrelevant. Witness, you were going to tell us about the investigation." Circa stated.


I arrested her on the spot.

"Because she had broke the law? According to what you saw?" Rarity asked.

"Yes. There's no way she couldn't have done it." Silver answered, a glum look on his face.

"Rarity," Malum whispered, "I think I know one way, but how are we going to get everypony here to see it?"

"Trust me, I find a way." Rarity answered.

"If the defense is done chatting, please continue the Cross Examination." The Doctor said.

"Right." Rarity responded.


As much as I hate to say it, there wasn't any evidence saying that she didn't do it.

"Are you sure?" Rarity asked, "Absolutely sure?"

"Yes, there wasn't anything off at the crime scene." Silver replied.

"I find that hard to believe." Rarity said with a smirk. "My partner and I found a few things that raises a few questions."

"Then show us." Durum Circa demanded while slamming his hooves down.

"First, a question to Silver Wings." Rarity said, "Was the balcony doors opened when you got there?"

"Well yeah, but I thought the princess had left it open." Silver replied.

Rarity slammed her hooves down, "Then there's a possibility that somepony broke in during the night."

"First, you have yet to show us any valuable proof, and second: is this 'break in' related to the crime?" Circa hissed.

"Yes. It is related. We found a crystal that the defendant didn't recognize. It's charged with an unknown spell." Rarity explained.

"So a random crystal showed up. But do you have proof of the break in?" Hard Facts rebutted.

"Several scratch marks were found on the balcony. We don't know what they came from, but I have a guess." Rarity said, causing Circa to slam his desk while gritting his teeth.

"Why wasn't I told of those marks?" Circa asked Silver.

"I never checked the balcony." Silver replied, then he jumped and flared his wings as he realized his mistake.

"So Rarity, you have given us proof of a possible break in. But what could these marks be from?" The Doctor asked.

"Well, we can rule out a pegasus. So that would leave a Griffon." Rarity said.

The Doctor closed his eyes in thought, before looking at Circa. "I cannot give a verdict while another possibility is present. What do you think, Mr. Circa?"

"I think we should listen to my next witness first. Then we can decide." Circa answered.

"Oh. Okay then." The Doctor turned to Silver Wings, "You may leave."

"Yes sir!" Silver replied with a salute.

"And you can think about your actions while I think about lowering your salary." Circa told him.

Silver left with a sigh.

The Doctor nodded, "Well, if the Prosecution will call it's next witness."

"I call the witness who arrived that morning." Hard Facts stated.

That's when Celestia took the stand.

"Hello, my little ponies." She said to the court.

"Witness, your name and occupation." Circa demanded.

"You should calm down. It's not the end of the world." Celestia told him.

"Witness!" Circa said whilst slamming his hoof, "Name and Occupation!"

"Though everypony already knows, I am Celestia. Ruler of Equestria and the Princess of the Sun." Celestia said.

"And you were brought to the scene of the crime by your nephew, correct?" Circa asked.

"Yes." Celestia replied.

"Well hello there Princess, seems your student is in quite the jam." The Doctor said cheerfully.

"As happy as I am to see you, now is not the time to catch up." Celestia replied.

"Oh right." The Doctor muttered, "Anyways, I'd like to hear your assessment of the crime."

"If I must.' Celestia replied.


WITNESS TESTIMONY

--My Assessment--

It was just after sunrise when I was informed.

Prince Blueblood was the one to inform me.

I went to Twilight's chambers as fast as I could.

It was as Blueblood said, there was indeed two Twilight's.

As far as the room was concerned, only the crystal seemed off.


"So that crystal isn't a normal feature of the room?" The Doctor asked in surprise.

"No. I have never seen any crystal like that before. Therefore, it caught my eye." Celestia answered.

"I see. . . " The Doctor said.

"I still have a couple questions for the Princess." Rarity told the Doctor.

"Then by all means, start the cross examination." The Doctor answered.


CROSS EXAMINATION

It was just after sunrise when I was informed.

"Why were you notified so early?" Rarity asked.

"When she was notified is irrelevant!" Circa hissed.

"I think it is. It may help us find the truth." Rarity objected.

"Then I propose that if this question proves no relevance that the defense should be penalized." Circa proposed.

"I think that that is fair." The Doctor agreed, "Do you understand, defense?"

"I do." Rarity answered.

"Then if the witness will answer the question." The Doctor said.

"Why was it so early? I'm as lost as you are. Normally, Blueblood isn't up that early." Celestia answered.

"Tsk tsk tsk. . . " Circa laughed, "That was pointless."

"I have to agree with the prosecution." The Doctor agreed, "Penalty to defense. Please be more careful."


Prince Blueblood was the one to inform me.

"Why him?" Rarity asked.

"I. . .don't really know. . ." Celestia said in confusion, "It's not like him to visit Twilight's chambers. . ."

That still isn't enough to convict him. Rarity thought to herself. "Please continue princess."


I went to Twilight's chambers as fast as I could.

"How fast?" Rarity asked.

"As fast as a teleportation spell." Celestia replied.

"That's quite fast!" The Doctor said in surprise.

"Um. . .Doctor. . " Rarity sighed.

"Oh. . .right. Nevermind me." The Doctor coughed.

"Anyways, Continue Princess."


It was as Blueblood said, there was indeed two Twilights.

"Why don't we have Blueblood testify then?!" Rarity asked.

"Because Blueblood is quite busy, reserves the wright to refuse testifying." Circa explained.

"Busy doing what?" Rarity asked.

"Heck if I know. I don't pry." Circa answered.

"Fine, witness, continue your testimony." Rarity said.


As far as the room was concerned, only the crystal seemed off.

"Are you absolutely sure?" Rarity asked.

"Yes." Celestia replied. "That was the only off thing."

"Then explain this: The open balcony window!" Rarity exclaimed.

Celestia jumped in surprise as her eyes widened.

"Well, was it open when you got there?" Rarity asked.

"Well yes. . but I didn't think anything of it." Celesta admitted.

"Your Honor, I demand another day to search the exterior for any evidence that proves that somepony broke in!" Rarity asked.

"Hmm. . " The Doctor hummed with closed eyes. . . "I would like to know the prosecutions thoughts."

"Well, I pride myself in having a perfect case, I'll give the defense their chance, and if it goes nowhere the defense will be held in contempt and a verdict shall be given." Circa answered.

"Hmm. . .that seems fair. But first, answer me a question." The Doctor said, "What is the purpose of this crystal?"

Rarity paused for a moment. "What if it is used to teleport something without having to actually be near it?"

"Th-that would mean that somepony else would have done it!" the Doctor exclaimed.

"If it is alright, I will have a test done on the crystal to see what is purpose is." Circa suggested.

"Then I guess there's only one thing to do." The Doctor said, "Court is adjourned!"

With that, the Doctor slammed his gavel.


April 6, 2:00 PM
Defendants Lobby number 1

"That was too close." Twilight said.

"I'm a little surprised that this Circa character is actually letting me investigate this possibility." Rarity commented.

"I should have known." Malum growled, "Durum Circa has never lost a case. And he wants you to know that it's futile."

"Wait, how do you know about him?" Rarity asked.

"He's the reason that I'm learning to be a defense attorney." Malum explained.

"What did he do?" Rarity asked.

"He found my mother guilty of a murder she never committed." Malum answered sadly.

"H-he did?" Rarity asked.

"Yes, and I'm going to get to the truth of that case. One way, or another." Malum answered.

"But first, Malum dear, we have a case to win." Rarity said.

"I wish you guys the best of luck." Twilight said before being taken off to the detention center.

"Well, I suppose it's time for us to investigate." Rarity sighed.

"Then lets find the truth." Malum agreed.

Author's Note:

Profiles:
Rarity: Twilight's friend and the main defense attorney for this case.
Twilight: The defendant. Accused of misusing time magic.
Young Twilight: Somehow appeared in Twilight's room. Is from a time before the rainboom.
Princess Celestia: The monarch and ruler of Equestria. Twilight's mentor.
Silver Wing: A detective. Is the head detective for this case.
Malum Prohibitum: A rookie defense attorney. Is Rarity's assistant for this case.
Blueblood: Celestia's 'nephew'. Supposedly the first pony on scene.
Durum Circa: An undefeated Prosecuting Attorney.


Evidence:
Attorney's badge: Proof that Rarity is a defense attorney.
Balcony window: Was open at the crime scene.
Crystal: An enchanted, well, crystal found above Twilight's bed. The type of spell on it is unknown.
Scratch marks: Found on the balcony, unknown origin.