• Published 26th Jun 2015
  • 600 Views, 27 Comments

False Truths - bestponydash



Scootaloo sets out to find her father.

  • ...
0
 27
 600

Five Years Ago, I Left

Year after year passed me by and all the while my friends had no idea that I planed to leave on my own the moment I could. In truth, I felt guilty; I felt as though my intended actions would make me seem selfish. And the fact that I kept them in the dark for so long made it even worse. But how was I supposed to go about telling them? For a long time I hid behind the falsehood that I could never answer that question. I put off telling them until it was too late.

The day of my fifteenth birthday was when I decided I had to leave. That fact always seemed ironic to me.

The sun shined in through the window of my bedroom in Rainbow Dash's cloud house. During the passed ten years it was Rainbow who decided to adopt me; she was also the one who helped me get my cutie mark after so many failed attempts. I found it funny that it was her who finally helped me succeed as she was one of the very first ponies to try. We had many grand adventures together and I truly loved her as a mother and a friend.

That morning, like all mornings before, she set the table for my breakfast and headed out to produce today's weather. I got out of bed and went to the kitchen to enjoy the large bowl of cereal she laid out when I noticed a note pinned under the bowl. I curiously freed the note and read aloud, "Scoot, be back in a few. Today's supposed to be rainy, but I can change that if I hurry. Afterall, can't have it rain on a day like today."

I smiled and chuckled before putting the note back on the table and sitting down to enjoy breakfast. As I ate I constantly looked out the various windows in the cloud kitchen. One window showed clear skies while some the others were grey and mucky. When I had finished, I made my way out the front door; I could see Rainbow Dash zooming around, trying her hardest to move every last rain cloud before the other weather ponies could stop her. Ten years had taken thier toll on her speed, but she was still the fastest flyer in Equestria; in my eyes anyway. I watched for several minutes and couldn't help laughing.

I descended to the street while Rainbow was still "occupied" and went on a stroll through town. I walked through the market district and stopped in front of a familiar rusted apple waggon. I looked at the wide assortment of red, green, and yellow fruit; my mouth began to water. But as I looked around I noticed something, or rather some pony, missing. Apple Bloom usually sells around here but she was no where in sight. "Apple Bloom?"

"Scootaloo?" a voice bellowed from a distance.

I looked around to find the source of the voice. I saw the earthly stands plastured on the side of every road, carrying cherries, carrots, pears, lettuce, corn, oats, and Celestia knows what else. I also saw the smiling venders behind these stands, who looked as though they would try anything to make a sale. The only thing a didn't see was the pony calling my name.

"Scootaloo, over here."

This time I recognized the voice, it was Apple Bloom. But why wasn't she at her stand? I followed the voice around a few corners and into an ally way, but no one was there. I looked around at the trash discarded all around me, the smell was almost too much to bare. It was dark as well, the buildings blocked out all light and gave the whole place an ominous and creepy feel. Suddenly I heard hoof steps behind me, getting closer. I began to sweat as fear filled my body and halted my legs. Hesitantly I turned and- "SURPRISE!"

"AAAAAHHHHH," I jumped back and closed my eyes. But then I heard the mischievous giggles of two familiar young mares. I opened my eyes, "APPLE BLOOM! SWEETIE BELLE! THAT'S NOT FUNNY!"

My friends laughed it up while my heart was still trying to slow down. By the time they stopped to wipe there eyes I had calmed down. I looked back on the whole incident and tried to be a little angry at them for scaring me half to death, but I found myself grinning and even started to giggle. "You guys are jerks," I playfully said as I walked closer.

When I got near, my two friends turned their heads and looked at on another with big smiles on their faces. With chuckles still in my voice, I asked, "What is it?"

They turned back to me, "We got you a present," Sweetie Belle explained.

"Oh you didn't have to do tha-"

I stopped talking as soon as I saw what they got me. Apple Bloom held a piece of paper in her hoof. I looked closer and found that it was an application for the weather ponies. I had been trying to get a job as a weather pony for the passed couple of years but there were never any openings! The thought of flying along side Rainbow Dash as an equal was one of my life dreams!

Afterall, it was Rainbow who stuck with me and finally helped me learn to fly. She trained me for weeks at a time and watched as my wings grew bigger and stronger. The first time I flew on my own, I zoomed around and broke into tears of joy. I had finally become a REAL pegasus; not to mention that that was also how I got my cutie mark.

Now I had the chance to fly with Rainbow every day. I looked at my friends, astonished, "How the hell did you get that? They haven't had any openings for as long as I can remember."

"We called in a few favors," Sweetie smirked.

Applebloom jumped up, "And ah got ya an in'erview tomorrow afternoon."

I couldn't believe it! "Really?!"

"Yes'er."

My entire body filled with excitement, I thought I was about to burst. My glee made its way to my cheeks and I stretched a smile so big it started to hurt, but I didn't care. All I thought was- no wait, I couldn't think; I was too happy. I ran to my friends and embraced them, "Thanks you guys, this is the best birthday present ever." we hugged for a good minute before breaking off.

Excitement and adrenaline still cruised through my viens when I thought of how Rainbow would react. "I gotta go tell Rainbow Dash that she'll soon have a new cloud kicker by her side." I smiled and said goodbye to my friends before taking off and flying back home.

When I arrived I busted through the door and frantically searched the whole house, "Rainbow? Rainbow Dash, you here?" there was no response. "Must still be clearing the skies," I said to myself. So I shrugged, kept my application tight under my wing, and headed up stairs to my room.

What happened next is why I remember this day so clearly, and why I did what I did.

I entered my room and put my new application down on top of my dresser. The room was cloud colored like the rest of the house. There were two windows on opposite walls and a large bed with one of Rainbow's hand-me-down blankets. The wooden dresser was on the wall next to the door, and besides that was my old scooter (beaten and starting to fall apart). I was about to head back out and wait for Rainbow to get back when I turned and caught a glimpse of....them. My eyes turned to my closet on the far wall. On the ground, in an open box, were my father's letters.

I stared at the letters for quite some time. This moring had been so exciting that I had completely forgotten about them and about the promise I had made to myself and my father. "Wait until you're old enough to take care of yourself," my mind echoed, "then come find me." I slowly walked to my closet and picked them up; I glanced around, skimming each one. once again I felt the confusion, sadness, and love that was held on these pages. I felt the urgency of having to find anwsers rush over me just as it did all those years ago. "I'm old enough to take care of myself," my mind told me. That may have been true, but....I looked back to my dresser where the application lay and my ears dropped.

But my train of thought was interrupted by the sound of Rainbow Dash coming home. "Hey squirt, you home?" I began to panic as I heard her getting closer to my room. Rainbow still didn't know about the letters and I couldn't let her see!

"Scootaloo?" She was right outside my door!

I quickly squished the letters back into the box and threw the box into my closet. A knock came on the door. "Uh...yeah. Just a sec," I nervously said. Then I turned to my dresser. I don't know what caused me to do this but I quickly ran, grabbed the application, and stuffed it in one of the drawers. After that was done I took a deep breath and put on my best -not in the middle of a huge life decision- face.

I hesitantly opened the door and saw Rainbow smiling and anxious. "What's up?"

"Follow me; I gotta show you something."

I saw the excitement in her eyes and the bounce in her step, "Sure." After I agreed she zoomed to the front door; I had to race just to keep up.

When I got there Rainbow had one hoof ready on the door nob, "Check this out." She then opened the door and I gave witness to one of the most beautiful scenes I have ever laid my eyes on. I slowly walked to the door step with my mouth wide open. Every rain cloud was gone from sight and the early morning sun was still emerging, moving a line of golden rays across Ponyville. Birds flew by overhead, singing, their feathers glowing bright. The mountains to the north moved into sight with a faint fog and a blue aura around them. The town itself was vibrant with life; I watched the towns ponies walk around to various shops and the lttle fillies and colts running and laughing. Twilight's castle reflected the entire scene back on itself so you could both watch it and live it. And the green hills surrounding our town were like waves of emeralds.

It was moments like this that forced me to forget all about that promise and those letters, but how could I.

I stood in awe for a few minutes with Rainbow next to me. "Happy birthday Squirt."

I smiled and jumped to hug her; we were locked together. But then...I shed a tear; not because of Rainbow's awesome gift, but because even after I had seen what she did for me I was still deciding if now was the time to leave. How could I be so selfish at a time like this! I quickly wiped my face as the hug ended.

I was about to speak when Rainbow Dash spread her wings, "Well, we better make the most of our time. The other weather ponies aren't the brighest, but they'll catch on eventually. Come on." She flew forward, waving me on. I eagerly followed her.

Soon we were flying around side by side; it was one the best feelings I could ever hope to experience, and yet some unknown part of my mind forced me to ask, "Rainbow, how long have you been a weather pony?"

She looked at me and smiled; she knew that I had been trying to become one for some time. "Oh, most of my life actually. And probably for the rest of my life...you know after I have my wonderbolts adventures." That's what I was afraid she'd say. I loved the thought of doing this, working and flying with her, forever but...I...couldn't. Looking back on this day, I suppose that that was the moment I decided to leave.

For the rest of the day I flew with Rainbow and laughed with Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle. I tried to make the best out of every single second. But the day drew to a close when Rainbow's prediction came true and the other weather ponies moved the rain clouds back into position. Rainbow and I had returned home by the time the rain started to pour. She made my birthday dinner and by nine o'clock we were sitting down to watch a movie.

The room was dark and a large bowl of popcorn sat between the two of us. The screen lit up everything around us and sent our shadows dancing on the walls. About half way through the flick I could see Rainbow's eyes start to struggle to stay open. It wasn't long after that when got up from the cloud couch. "I'm gonna hit the sack. Hope you had a good birthday Scoot."

"I did, thanks," I waved and watched her disappear behind her bedroom door.

Now my mind knew, it was now or never. I got up from the couch and headed for my room. I quickly grabbed my travel bag and filled it with a scarf, boots, and the letters. Then I went to the kitchen and took as much food as I could carry and stuffed it all in my bag. I creeped to the front door, put my hoof on the door nob, and.........

My hoof began to tremble; how could I, how could I just leave? My friends, Rainbow Dash, Ponyville: they had all been so good to me and I was about to walk out on it all. I couldn't. I took my hoof away from the door and threw my bag on the ground, "Damn it!" I went back into the kitchen and sat at the table, weighing the options.

I stayed like that for a good hour, but in the end I just couldn't leave. I sighed and got up to collect my bag, but when I looked, the bag was open and I could see the letters in the pocket.

"Come find me...I miss my daughter."

No. I can't stay here, I have to go, I have to. I filled my being with determination, if only for a moment, and put my bag back on. I opened the door and saw the thousands of raindrops falling; I could smell the rich moisture in the air. The moon shined bright above, allowing me to see enough to navigate town. I stood at the open door and my ears dropped once again. I slowly turned my head and stared at Rainbow's bedroom door, "I'm sorry.....goodbye."

I felt my eyes begin to fill with tears but I walked out the door before they could fall.

I stepped onto the street and lifted my head to feel the rain wet my mane and face. Then I made my way to the Ponyville post office. When I got there the lights were still on and through the window I could see a middle-aged stallion sitting behind a counter. I entered and approached him, "Excuse me."

"Huh what?" He was grey with a green mane and glasses (and half asleep), "Yes?"

"I need to know where this address is," I showed him the letter's cover.

Unfortunately he barely gave it a glance, "Look little lady, it's late and i'm tired. Can't this wait 'till morning?"

I was soaking wet and emotionally at ends so you could guess that I became very irritated, "No this can't wait 'TILL MORNING. I need to get to this address."

The stallion sighed, "Alright." He took a closer look, "It's nowhere that I know of but I gotta buddy that lives up in Cloudsdale who might know where to look."

"Thanks," I snatched the letter from his hooves and walked back outside. I looked to the west and could just make out the floating city. The falling streams of rainbows were a dead giveaway. So I spread my wings to take off when suddenly-

"Scootaloo?"

I froze where I stood; I could recognize that voice anywhere. My eyes widened as I slowly turned around and there she was, with her sky blue coat and rainbow-colored mane both dripping wet. "Scootaloo what are you doing out here?"

"I...I uh." My body shaked and my mind went blank. Then it got even worse.

I could see Rainbow's eyes turn to the letter in my hoof, "What's that."

I didn't know what to say or do so I simply said, "I have to leave."

"What're you talking about? Where are you going, it's pouring."

"I..." I felt my eyes water and my throat was stuck; my entire body burned. After a while I lowered my head, tears fell from my cheeks. "I'm sorry, I just have to go."

"But-"

I flew away as fast as I could with tears trailing behind. I took one last look back and saw Rainbow Dash standing in the middle of the street, soaking wet. "Scootaloo!" I could hear her call, but I turned back to the direction of Cloudsdale and didn't stop.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry," I kept whispering to myself as I flew on.

Author's Note:

Opinions in the comments :derpyderp1: