• Published 14th May 2012
  • 2,190 Views, 54 Comments

Her Locked Door - DuskAndDawn



Lyra and Bon-Bon have a good relationship, but Lyra has a secret that must never be found out

  • ...
15
 54
 2,190

Unimaginable Truth

“I’m sorry, Bon-bon. It just wont wash over. We can’t believe you because we have no evidence suggesting that it WASN’T you. I’m afraid you’re going to be in here for a very, very long time, missy.” Said the prison warden.

He had an emotionless look on him, like he has never cared about the fact that he condemns ponies almost every day. Bon-Bon looked at him in hatred. She was dressed in an orange suit that was too tight for her. She felt miserable as the prison warden locked the door to her cell and went on his way, almost cheerful. Like he was happy to have locked up another ‘dangerous pony’. They knew nothing of justice, she didn’t get a fair trial like every other pony, even those with more serious charges than her. Why? Why was she the exception?

Perhaps she was only being held until there was time enough for her to have a trial. The court must be busy. Many ponies stole and commited thievery these days, she thought. But why would they see those ponies and not an innocent mare charged with the murder of around five ponies that were actually commited by her marefriend? It didn’t make sense. It just did not make sense to her.

It was five days after her seemingly final sentence and there was no sign of a trial, or anything. Bon-bon was pacing up and down, up and down, up and down faster and faster as time went by. She always stepped on the exact same floor tiles each time, stopping at the same time each time and moved her tail in a swishing motion each time. After a while it seemed the isolation had caused her to develop OCD.

“Here’s your lunch, missy.” Were the only words she would hear every afternoon for the rest of her life. She was a killer after all, and she was not permitted to be outside with the other inmates, or even look at them. She knew being in prison was a bad thing, but this was mind-destroying.

She had stopped eating and lined the plates full of food in a line against the left cell wall. She would sit in front of them and stare at them, and they would remind her of Lyra, who was an amazing cook. She would shed a tear every time she was reminded of the pancakes Lyra made, or the coffee she made, or the times when they were at school where they would food-fight playfully. Her marefriend, a killer…just like that. There had to be more to it. There had to, and she would be the one to figure it out. She retraced the exact sequence of events that had led up to the day she found Lyra had killed.


It was a sunny Tuesday morning. Lyra and Bon-bon were trotting with eachother across the field, where the beautiful sun shined down on them. Lyra was wearing ridiculous looking shades and Bon-bon laughed whenever she looked at them. The couple saw Colgate trotting at a leisurely pace. Bon-bon saw out of the corner of her eye that Lyra was not right beside her any more. She waved to Colgate and Colgate replied with a friendly “hello!” But Lyra said nothing. Bon-bon blinked for a moment and before she knew it Colgate tripped her and she fell face first onto the ground.

“Ow, Colgate, what was that for?” She yelled as she got up and dusted herself down.

“I’m sorry, Bon, it was an accident, I swear! Somepony pushed me, either that or I just tripped…” Replied Colgate apologeticly.

“Yeah, you must have tripped, nopony’s here.” Said Lyra, who had re-appeared next to Bon-bon.

“Yeah…silly me. I’m sorry. Anyway, have a nice day!” Said Colgate cheerfully, and she went on her way.


Bon-bon suddenly had a brainwave. She gasped and put her hoof over her mouth.

“Lyra…pushed Colgate into me!” She said to herself. “But if she did that, then why did she kill her anyway? Did she want to kill Colgate before that?”

Bon-bon suddenly felt something she’d never felt before, hatred. Hatred for Lyra. Paranoid thoughts started to seep into her head, about Lyra betraying her, about the possibility of Lyra never loving her in the first place. Had she been leading her on this whole time, lying to her? Perhaps Lyra had been born a murderer. Perhaps she had a plan, and Bon-bon had endangered it, and perhaps that was the reason Lyra came at her with the knife. Her thoughts were interrupted before they could get worse by the opening of her cell door.

“Missy, come with me. I think you ought to see this. And quickly, before they notice. Don’t ask questions. Don’t speak. Just follow me, very very quickly without a noise. Come on. NOW!” Said the prison warden who usually brought her food.

Bon-bon just tilted her head at him. This was not the same prison warden who locked her up. This one was actually nice to her.

“Don’t sit there! I’m putting my flank on the line for you. Come. Now.”

Bon-bon got up quickly. Perhaps he was trying to set her free. Maybe he knew something about all this. She followed the warden who galloped silently out. She trotted after him quickly, trying not to make a sound. They both exited the facility and ran down the street. The warden seemed to be going to Lyra’s house. Bon-bon was still following him when he went inside the house. It was locked but he seemed to have a key. They both went inside.


The warden stopped outside the spare room.

“What you are about to see may shock you.” He said as he opened the door. He went inside and bon-bon followed. The room was seemingly empty, but her eyes widened as the warden pulled open a trap door on the wooden floor and descended into the secret room below. Bon-bon followed, her entire body shaking.

Nothing could have prepared her for what she saw next.


Pictures. Everywhere. Of her, and of Colgate, and of Golden Harvest, and of loads of fillies and other mares she had never even seen. Not only that, there were chains hanging from the wall and something that was more disturbing than ever. The warden moved a painting that was so dusty you couldn’t see the picture, and behind the painting was a list of names, and just over two thirds of them were crossed out.

Braeburn

Holly Sunset

Peachy

Noteworthy

Honey Bunch

Solar Polaris

Colgate

Dollar Mack

Golden Harvest

“Dollar Mack was the stallion at the market place.” Explained the warden.

Bon-bon stood, shocked beyond belief. Lyra had been away on holiday by herself the week Braeburn had been found dead. Peachy and Noteworthy both dissapeared at the same time when Lyra went down to the market. How could she not have noticed anything strange about all that? But for Lyra to actually have a list made all these murders cold and calculated. But above everything, the biggest shock is that every single pony here was a childhood friend. She didn’t recognise the stallion at the market and he didn’t recognise her, because they had not seen eachother since elementary school.

“That’s not the only thing I wanted to show you. Lyra had another secret compartment, but this one was full of cash. The only reason you didn’t get a trial and the only reason you were not believed when you told them your story, was because Lyra tipped them off with a vast amount of bits. Five hundred thousand, to be exact. Inherited from her grandfather.”

“Why did she wanted to murder my fillyhood friends and why did she want to frame me” Spoke Bon-bon very quickly.

“I don’t know. None of us know. I don’t agree with anything that’s been done here. It’s horrible. I can’t do anything other than show you what’s left of the truth and let you escape.”


There came a crash at the door, and both ponies turned to face the four prison guards that had just appeared. Bon-bon screamed, but the warden who had helped her to find this said nothing and just backed away. The guards said nothing, their cold and calculated approach seemed spooky to Bon-bon who just kept screaming as the guards grabbed her and took her off. She was helpless. She never found out what happened to the prison warden. Her fate was to die in prison, never speaking to anypony. Only herself.


Why would Lyra do this?