• Published 13th Apr 2015
  • 2,906 Views, 31 Comments

The Return of a King - Killjoy_Writer



Years after his defeat, Sombra has been revived and has to cope with all that's happened.

  • ...
10
 31
 2,906

It's Been a While

----It's Been a While----

Sombra's mind was restless. His thoughts made him twist and turn. "Hope!" he eventually shouted as he sprang upwards. He huffed as sweat poured off his body. His eyes adjusted to the candle-lit interior of a bedroom. He looked around and wondered what the hell was going on. Sombra's memory was fuzzy but he vaguely remembered where he was. "Glad to see you're up." a pony called out as they leaned on a wall. He looked over and noticed a lavender alicorn propped on the wall.

"Who.......are you?" he groggily asked.

"My name is Princess Twilight Sparkle." she greeted. A burst of rage sparked at the mention of the mare's name. He lunged out as a cloud of shadow but was bounced back by a protection spell. No, not an ordinary one that any unicorn could conjure. This was made of pure love. It's source: the damned Crystal Heart. Sombra recovered and stood in a ravenous pose with his teeth bared. "Nice to see you again." she scoffed.

"What am I doing here?" he questioned, purple wisps bursting from his eyes.

"You should be grateful, Sombra." she instructed. "Your flank should still be rotting in Tartarus but the other Elements and I are on a mission."

"And what, prey tell, is that?"

"Your reformation." she flatly answered. Sombra relaxed and stood pridefully.

"What makes you think that you can reform me, Sombra, an Unbrum?" he chuckled.

"We've reformed Discord in your absence." she told. This made Sombra freeze. They really did it. They reformed the Lord of Chaos himself.

Sombra looked at her face to see if she was joking around, but the flatness of it read that she was, indeed, serious. Twilight stood upright and approached him. He relaxed yet again and looked at her lavender eyes. "Now this can only be done with your full cooperation." she informed. "I will start by asking a simple question: who is Hope?"

"Hope....." he sighed as he sat down on his haunches. "She was my marefriend from when I was a colt."

"What else?" Twilight questioned, knowing that there was more.

"When I was young, I would get an unknown sickness during the Crystal Fair." he paused. "But when I was a young stallion, that's when......"

"When what?"

"When I almost completely transformed," he added, "in front of her very own eyes." A visible tear streamed down his cheek. Twilight noted that his reformation was beginning. Sombra wiped the tear away and continued. "Without her immense ability to heal, I would have turned to what I am now at that moment." he paused again. "But after she got a Letter of Acceptance from Celestia's school, I knew that we couldn't be together."

"What did you do?"

"What else could I do?" he shrugged. "I ran. Far away from civilization. That's where I met her." His tone turned cold.

There was a small silence as rage built up in Sombra. But it was broken by another question. "Who?"

"Mother." he answered coldly. "She molded me into this. Turned me into a monster."

"You met your mom?" Twilight wondered. "Who was she?"

"Not a who, Twilight." a pony answered. "A what." They both looked at the source: Princess Cadence who idly stood at the door.

"Hello, Amore." Sombra greeted coldly.

"Twilight, I would like for you to see something." Cadence requested. Twilight joined her sister-in-law and left Sombra alone with his thoughts.


Their walk out of the kingdom was both cold and silent, save for the gusts of winds. They trekked through the snow until the kingdom was no longer in sight. Twilight kept her questions toward her sister-in-law at bay as they approached a building that was in the middle of no where. Once inside, there was a pony who greeted them with a smile. The interior was that of a small cafe, which made Twilight wonder: why was this all the way out here. "Quite a storm, huh?" the mare asked.

"Yes but I'd rather stay inside." Cadence answered. The mare reached under the counter and pressed a button. Cadence led Twilight to the back room where the floor shifted and a hidden stairwell appeared. Down they went, only the sounds of their hooves and the flickering of the torches resonated through the duration of their descent. At the bottom, two guards opened a door and Twilight was in awe. Underneath all of the snow and the cafe was a research room with ponies that could rival her intellect. But what really caught her attention was the ruby in the center. Twilight swore that she saw this type of crystal before. "In case you're wondering, this is the source of Sombra's power." Cadence announced, breaking Twilight from her trance.

"...Not only that...but all Unbrum...past...present...future..." a voice echoed. Twilight looked around but ultimately found the source: the crystal. The crystal chuckled. "...Princess Twilight Sparkle....so nice to meet your....acquaintance..."

"Who are you?" Twilight wondered.

"...Not a "who", Princess.....a "what"..." the voice replied. "I am....or was....the first of the Unbrum....until Princess Amore....not this pathetic one....trapped my soul in here.....and destroyed my body...."

"What do you have with Sombra?" Twilight questioned.

"...Sombra?....He's my son....my perfect nightmare......and your doom...." the voice chuckled.

"I bet you are aware of our plan?" Cadence questioned as she circled the artifact.

"...Yes.....but you will fail.....for his heart.....and soul.....are no more...." the voice informed.

"We'll see about that." Cadence marked.

"...You will rue that day....that you ever stepped......onto that throne.....princess..." the voice cursed as Twilight and Cadence exited the room. They stayed at the bottom of the staircase and continued the conversation. "So that's the key to his reformation?" Twilight wondered. "Too easy."

"My thoughts exactly." Cadence sighed. "For if we break that prison, she will be freed and will make sure that Sombra does not become reformed. We need to stay light on our hooves and expect anything."

"I agree." Twilight nodded as they began their trek back to civilization.

Author's Note:

The periods between the words are supposed to be the voice fading in and out.

Possibly a sign of her weakness from being imprisoned for thousands of years?

Until next time.
-TheNightShade