• Published 12th Apr 2015
  • 450 Views, 5 Comments

Tirek's 5 Quests - Short Stories 2

  • ...
 5
 450

5: Flava's Story [AJ POV]

Mah vision was slowly coming back ta normal, when ah saw Rainbow talkin ta some type a bird. But...what's a bird doin in the nether?

"Your one of our keys to getting out of this place." Ah heard Rainbow say. That's when ah realized what that so-called bird was. Ah quickly leaped to mah feet and ran over to the breezie. Ah guess ah was still healin' though, because pain shot all throughout mah body. I ignored it and kept goin.

"Holy apples! A real life Fire breezie!" I said, leaning down so ah could see it clearly.

"Applejack, this is Flava. She is the last fire breezie there is...Oh, I see you're better now!"

I rolled mah eyes. "Thanks, captain obvious." Rainbow blushed.

I noticed that Flava didn't have any wings. "Where's your wings?" Ah asked her.

She sighed. "It's a long story."

Rainbow an' I both sat down.

"A very long story."

We both switched our positions and laid down.

"Fine." Flava said, laying on her back. She began to weave her tail.


The earliest memory that I can get is when I was three. I remember Mama taking me, along with the rest of my siblings, to the park. There was five of us. Emberlyn, Kenna, Burn, Cancus, and me. I was was the youngest, thus, suffering all of the teasing and hand-me downs that didn't fit me. We were each a year older than each other.

Mama put us in the Ember-box, which is like a sandbox, but, in the Nether. Emberlyn always bragged that the ember-box was named after her. She was the oldest. She told all of us that there would never be a play-box named after us. Kenna and Burn always threw Ember-dust into my eyes, making me cry lava. Cancus was the only nice sibling.

We all heard a huge boom, we were scared and nervous. We looked around and Mama wasn't there. She fled, along with the rest of the creatures there. We didn't know what to do, where to turn. Finally, Emberlyn told us to follow her and she started flying off towards where we came from.

Burn and Kenna followed, but, I was a slow flyer. Cancus stuck by my side and made sure I was safe. Flava had a sad smile on her face. This one time, I almost dive-bombed into a huge pool of lava, because it felt like we'd been flying for hours and I was exhausted. We fire breezies are fire-proof, but, it was still frighting. Cancus caught me on his back and told me to sleep, so I did, knowing everything would be fine as long as he was around.

I think it was five days later, I'm not sure, but, Emberlyn finally landed. She told us it was no use, that Mama had left us and we had to forge on our own. It was rough. I needed this special type of flame-milk, or else my wings wouldn't grow properly. Cancus went on small journey to get me a type of plant that contained the milk I needed.

Things went well for a while. We built a home for each of us, each closely together, in case we needed anything. Cancus had a stock-pile of Fla, the plant that had the milk I needed. I drained one dry each night. Looking back, I wish I hadn't.

"Why?" Rainbow asked.

I bumped Rainbow and made a motion with my hoof. Flava shot Rainbow an irritated look, then went back to her story.

One night, I ran out of Fla. I asked Cancus to go get me some more, for I was almost done with my 'feeding' stage. He told me that there wasn't another pile for miles. I begged him for about a week, and he finally left to get it. I don't know what happened to him, because he never came back. My siblings always reminded me that I was his fault that he 'died'. As if I didn't feel guilty already. She spat out is disgust.

About five years later, we got an announcement. A portal was opening to the over-world. All of us were ecstatic and couldn't wait for it to open. There was a small sacrifice, it read, but we all thought it was a piece of dirt, or a sacred plant, or something. Nothing serious.

The time came for the portal opening a week later. All of us fire breezies gathered round. There was about 400 of us. The president of our nation said the portal wasn't stable for all of us. He said one wing will stabilize 200 breezies. Of course, no one wanted to give up their beautiful lava wings.

Emberlyn raised her hoof. I thought she would volunteer, but, instead, she said I would do it. They didn't question the statement and ripped my wings off. It was unlike any other kind of pain. It was like getting my soul ripped apart. I guess Ember felt bad, because she tried to carry me through. The portal staggered. She told me that she'd write.

Before I could comprehend the situation, she tossed me right into a pit of Lava and fled through the portal. The portal closed and I was left all alone here.

On my 20th birthday, I saw a note drifting through the Nether-wind. It was from Ember. She apologized, and said that the surface world was beautiful, and that I would love it. She said that a kind, yellow pegasus was meeting them that day, and, in two weeks, they would cross over to the Breezie-dimension, taking a shortcut through Ponyville.


Flava sighed. "I re-named myself Flava, after that plant, and the good times I shared with Cancus." She had bright-orange tears in her eyes, and a small lava-flow on her face.

"What was your name before?" I asked.

"Spark." She said. "Don't call me that, though. Let's just..."

I got the message perfectly. "Rainbow, what's the second quest?"

Rainbow thought for a second. "Find a well full of water. In here." She sighed. "This will be harder than I thought."

"Wait...a well full of water?" Flava asked. "Oh, that quest is easy!"