• Published 12th May 2012
  • 838 Views, 7 Comments

Living on the line - Frost338



The griffons invade Equestria, starting a great war.

  • ...
6
 7
 838

Midnight walk

Back to school, oh joy. Only five more weeks until I graduate high school, or not. We'll see.




I woke up, my mare cuddled up next to me on the hospital bed. She started crying in the middle of the night, so I helped comfort her. Spitfire was one of my only friends here. I did everything I could to make her happy. I got up, and clenched my stomach. I stood up anyways, ignoring the pain. I walked to the locker on the other side of the room and grabbed all of my belongings and suited up. I then shook Spitfire awake. "Hey, let's go." I whispered in her ear while she stirred. "Ten more minutes." she's aid rolling over. I rolled my eyes at her and walked over to the table and wrote a note.

Spitfire,
I went to the OP. Will see you later.
Frost

Short and to the point, just the way I liked it. I then walked to the OP to ask about what happened in my absence.

Gatling's POV

I was sitting in the squad lounge. Applejack moved me from the chopper force into the commander's elite team. I looked over at Applejack, who had her hat over her eyes. I looked at my leg, which was in a brace. It had been fixed, it was just weakened. I had to wear the brace for three more days.
One perk to being in an elite unit was that you get fully customized weapons for any mission. I had selected a SR-25 for my long range rifle. I had it fitted with an 8x zoom standard scope and a forward flip-off FLIR scope. I had a seven inch retractable bipod added to the forward rail, a padded cheek guard on the stock and a heavy suppressor clamped to the side, ready for use. For close range, I chose an MP5. I added an EOtech sight and a detachable suppressor, along with a forward looking motion sensor. I was ready for a fight, if one ever came...

Three days later...

I finally got that pesky leg brace off. I then grabbed a desert ghille suit and my SR-25. I attached the suppressor and walked to the fort exit. "An' just where do ya think yer' goin'?" came a voice from behind me.

"I'm going to do some scouting, Applejack." I said to the orange mare.

"Alright, just be careful. Don't want to lose ya so soon." she said jokingly.

"Don't worry, I plan to." I said, walking out of the fort. I looked around, it was about one in the morning, and it was about twenty-nine degrees out here. 'we're in the desert, and it's colder here than Cloudsdale.' I thought to myself. I then picked some grass up and entangled it in the suit. Need to look as natural as possible. I then slid down the hill and galloped about a thousand yards before getting to the wire fence. I simply climbed over a destroyed portion of the fence and continued onward. I then climbed a shallow hill. I was surprised that it overlooked a zebra encampment. I lie down on my stomach and drew my rifle's bipod legs out then I screwed on the silencer. I flipped the FLIR off and looked through the standard scope. I could see the camp perfectly. I then wrapped my rifle in desert environment camouflage wrap, just as a precautionary measure. I looked through my scope and saw a general's tent. I saw a figure walk out wearing a steel helmet and armor. He was accompanied by two guards. That must be a leader, I thought. I loaded a magazine, I had brought fifteen, totaling three hundred rounds. I looked at the target with some ranging binoculars. Distance was eleven hundred meters. I knew it was a near impossible shot to make, but I knew I could do it. I chambered a round into the bolt and watched the grass on the ground for wind. Absolutely still wind. I adjusted to the most promising trajectory and pulled the trigger. All I heard was a soft pew! come from the weapon. I watched the bullet as it flew along the flight path I had chosen. It slammed right int the leader's helmet, punching a hole through the helmet and the warlord's skull, as his brains were sprayed all over his guards. They immediately turned around facing away from me I took this opportunity to shoot both of them in the back of the head. I then started picking off random soldiers one by one for about twenty minutes until the alarm was finally raised. I grabbed my empty mages and put them back in my vest as I ran for the fort. I had a crowd of zebras on my trail, following my hoof prints. I made it back to the fort and sealed the door. It was three thirty in the morning. I went to the nearest firing position I could find, reattached my FLIR scope, and picked off each zebra in the search party one by one...
About ten minutes later a few watchmen came over and told me, "Somepony said there was a gunfight outside, do you know anything about it?" one of them asked me, examining my attire. "Yeah, they were kind of shooting at me." I told him. He looked at me,"You went outside the fort without permission?" he asked, obviously shocked by what I told him. "Hay yeah I went outside! I need to go file a mission report, so if you'll excuse me." i said walking past him. "Why were you outside if you are in the chopper force?" he asked me, eying my unit patch. "I'm in the commander's squad now!" I said, running off. I went to the squad briefing room, and picked up a mission report file. I wrote down I had killed an officer, and about twenty-five soldiers and fell back, sniping a search party as they approached the fort. I signed it, Spec. Gatling Wind 1300943. I then went to the couch and lie down to take a nap until everypony else showed up at breakfast.