• Published 22nd Mar 2015
  • 7,507 Views, 245 Comments

Dawn of the New Day - QueenOfTheSilence



After three years, the real Sunset Shimmer has been revealed. And while Celestia plans on helping her out, it will be up the her and only her to fix her mistakes and become the better person Celestia knows she can be.

  • ...
10
 245
 7,507

Whiskey and Talk

The Solaris household was quiet. Too quiet and the fact that it was made Celestia a little bit uneasy. Not even the sound of Luna yelling at one of her games could be heard. No, it was near silent save for the house giving the occasional shudder or the hum of the fridge. Still at the same time she welcomed it, the last week had been hectic and the quiet was good for her pounding headache. Ever since word got around earlier that day and the night before that, emails and phone calls had been coming in from outraged parents, calling for Sunset to be expelled. No it wasn't because of the dance, parents were convinced that Celestia had played favorites and allowed Sunset to bully the other students with little to no consequences which was far from the truth.

Sunset had rarely been punished not because of favoritism but because it was hard to catch her in the act or get students to step forward. To others it would seem horrible that she would encourage students to come forward and get her daughter in trouble but the fact remained that while she loved Sunset, she wouldn't stand idly by and watch her abuse other students. There were consequences for her actions and she expected both of her daughters to own up to their faults. While she would protect them from harm, she would not protect them from facing the results of their actions. She of course mentioned this in the mass email she had sent to the parents of the student body but few seemed to believe her. More and more problems seemed to be appearing with every passing day.

Celestia sighed and pressed the power button on her monitor, switching it shut off. She couldn't take another moment of reading emails from enraged parents. She got up from her desk and made her way to her king sized bed, and laid down, her face in the pillows, not sure what to do. She honestly felt like she needed a vacation. A knock on her door pulled her away from thinking.

"Yes?" she called, turning her head towards the door.

"'Tis I! Your sister who has come bearing the gift of the gods themselves!"

"I have no idea what you mean but come in."

The door to the bedroom opened and Luna poked her head in before pulling the rest of herself inside with her. She closed the bedroom door and made her way to her sister's bed which she climbed into uninvited. It was then Celestia noticed that she had a paper bag with her, with the logo of the local convenience store slopped on the front. Luna must had of gone out at some point [Which she wouldn't have noticed either way because she had been too busy with the emails and phone calls and just thinking to check up on her sister] which would explain why Celestia didn't hear her usual yelling in the last few hours. .She rolled over to face her sister who placed the bag in front of her with a grin on her face.

"Is that wine?" she asked hopefully, she could use a drink. Luna shook her head which made her sister a bit disappointed. She reached into the bag and instead pulled out whiskey.

"I figured after this last week, you could use something stronger." Celestia pursed her lips. It's not that she hated whiskey it just was a little low on her preferred alcoholic beverages to drink. Truth be told she was a bit of a light weight and a wuss, preferring to either drink coolers, which were essentially fruit juices such as mango or peach mixed with alcohol, or wine. Her little sister often teased her about her inability to down tequila shots without sputtering and whining about how it burned. Luna laughed, seeing her sisters disappointment. She put her hand in the bag and pulled out two bottles of Coca-Cola. Ah, soda, while she didn't like whiskey much on it's own she enjoyed it quite a lot when mixed with delicious soda.

Celestia waited impatiently as her sister pulled out plastic cups and poured the drinks on her end table. She nearly snatched the drink out of her younger sister's hand and began eagerly sipping the cups contents. Oh how she needed this.

"So, how is everything going?"

Celestia rolled her eyes at her sister as she sipped her drink. Seriously? Was her sister oblivious or something?

"How do you think? I got emails coming left and right from angry parents, my oldest child attempted to take over the school and an alternate world, both of them are now suspended and I got an email earlier today requesting our presence in a board meeting. With Superintendent Faust and the board of directors. Not good sis, not good. "

"Ah yes, I remember getting that email too.....I assume they want to discuss the recent.....incident?"

"Why else would they call us in? Our teacher evaluations aren't due till the end of November and our quarterly review just passed. I highly doubt Lauren would drag in the board unless it was important."

"What are we going to tell her?"

"Same thing we told the parents and the students to go along with: Sunset's car malfunctioned and it drove into the front of the school."

"I still don't see how parents are believing that; Sunset doesn't even have a car or had one for that matter. Besides, aren't people curious about how large the whole is or why there are scorch marks?"

"Eh, I figure we'll just say the car exploded."

"And if the school board tries to hold us responsible and files an insurance claim and they discover that a) Sunset does not have a car in her name or b) that both of our cars are completely fine?"

"If that happens I'll think of something."

"Sister...."

"Don't worry, you know white lies are my specialty. Now.... about you...."

Luna glanced at Celestia confused, she set down her drink and raised an eyebrow. This was going to be interesting, she could just tell from the way her sister grew so cold and serious.

"What about me?"

"I need you to stop treating Sunset so coldly." The blue woman sighed, she should have been expecting this.

"Why? What matter does it make?"

"Well she's apart of the family, yes she's in trouble and I don't except you to dote on her but she lives here and she's your niece and I'd like you to spend some time with her."

"She's not my child though!"

"I didn't say she was now did I? I said she's your niece. Besides, are you not an adult? You're treating her like a child would treat another child who wronged them!"

"I am not a child!"

"Well the way you're acting towards her makes me think otherwise....Please Luna? She is a very nice girl underneath it all, you just gotta believe in me okay?"

Luna grumbled and crossed her arms and pouted. The sight made Celestia grin a bit, her sister was a bit of a child even if she denied it. The other woman relented and sighed, uncrossing her arms and picking up her drink.

"Fine, fine! I'll give her a chance." replied the younger sister in between sips of her whiskey and sprite.

"Good, that's my little sister. Now can you take her and Scootaloo clothes shopping and out on the town on Saturday?"

"Why don't you take them? Also wouldn't that be awarding them?"

"Because it will be a good bonding experience....and because it's going to be the sixteenth Saturday."

"Sixteenth? What doe...Oh. Oh.....I see. I understand but....I thought I was going to go with you?"

"No, I need to do this alone. I love you Lulu and I would love to have you there but I think it's time to tell her. Afterwards, when I come back. But I don't want to bring her along, it would...."

"I get it. This is big and it's going to be so sudden for her and she might not take it well. Might as well make it up to her with a good day to counteract the bad news."

"Exactly, and it might not go well either. I just hope the board knows better."

"They will, don't worry. You will tell me though, won't you? How it goes?"

"Of course little sister! Why would I keep that away from you?"

"Good, just making sure."

The sisters lapsed into silence. Suddenly, neither of them wanted to finish their drinks and fatigue was beginning to set onto both of them. Luna glanced at the blue oval, digital clock on the wall opposite of her sisters side of the bed which read 11:30 PM.

"I should probably be heading to bed." Luna started to get up from the bed but Celestia stopped her.

"Stay little sister? I don't want to be alone."

"You're having the nightmares again."

Celestia said nothing in response, at least at first, she merely began pulling back the blankets and crawling in, not bothering to get out of her suit. She pulled the blankets around her and breathed in the scent of the covers, lilac scented fabric softener.

"I thought I put it behind me years ago. I thought I was done, the nightmares, the episodes, the relapses but every time I think I've gotten past it, every time I have to go back to the court house and sit there and watch, I find myself back there. In that place. With him. Why can't I just forget Lulu? Why can I just live my life? Why can't I get up to pee in the middle of the night and not scream when I mistake my own reflection in the mirror for him? Whats wrong with me?"

Luna watched sadly as her older sister, the woman she admired above all [And was a tad bit jealous of] buried her face in the blanket and let out a strangled sob. She reached out and pulled her sister into a hug who eagerly accepted the contact. For once, she found herself as the shoulder to lean on instead of the other way around like it usual was. Despite being awkward when it came to comforting people, Luna managed to succeed in easing her sister's pain.

"Shhhh, it's all going to be all right. I promise, nothing is wrong with you." But both woman knew that was a lie because life was a tamed, forgiving thing. No, it dealt curve balls around every corner that it could and while it had it's ups, it also had many downs. And not even Luna could guess if a ball was coming around the corner of not for life was unpredictable.

Author's Note:

I should be updating that other story...But I don't feel like writing for that story. So....yeah. Also typos, I decided to start typing this at six a.m and I've been up since nine last night. I'll fix them later once I nap. Sorry it's so short.