• Published 22nd Mar 2015
  • 7,506 Views, 245 Comments

Dawn of the New Day - QueenOfTheSilence



After three years, the real Sunset Shimmer has been revealed. And while Celestia plans on helping her out, it will be up the her and only her to fix her mistakes and become the better person Celestia knows she can be.

  • ...
10
 245
 7,506

Chapter 2

Author's Note:

Another chapter! And I plan to have chapter three up soon. Hopefully. I'm just in the urge to write. Maybe I should focus some of this desire on my other story as well.... Anyway, hope you enjoy. Also, got an idea or issue with the story? Feel free to tell me as I'd like to hear your input in order to improve the story in multiple areas.

Despite how awesome it would be to have Rainbow Dash drive her home, Scootaloo just couldn't allow it. Why? Because the eight-grader knew that if anyone at the school recognized where and who she was related to [The niece of Vice Principal Luna and daughter of Principal Celestia], she would be treated as the ultimate Teacher's Pet. And teacher's Pets were totally uncool. Or at least that's why Rainbow Dash said once during the rare times they hung out. They and anyone that played a classical instrument.

No, Scootaloo didn't want to take the chance of looking like a giant nerdy, egghead in front of her honorary sister. Her honorary sister who had totally butt whooped Sunset Shimmer, the Queen of PMSing tonight. Who was by law technically her sister despite them having only actually lived physically together briefly and the fact that she bullied Scootaloo around the school. Scootaloo scowled and chided herself. Sunset Dim-head was not her sister; never had, never would. Honestly, she didn't know why her mom was so determined to save her and had even gone out to stop her from going back into the system at all costs. It's not like the Junior student had ever done anything to deserve such kindness.

The night air was cold and nippy, and Scootaloo was regretting having not waiting around to get a ride from her aunt or mother or even accepting Applejacks offer for a ride home. Well not home, but at least in the general vicinity of her house. She would get Applejack just to let her out at the halfway point and continue from there. Scootaloo was aware that rumors were going around that she was an orphan and lived in Applebloom's tree house, a fact that was not true. Still, a little cold for her self-image being safe was well worth it. But perhaps next time she would bring a jacket to go over her dress.

By the time Scootaloo reached her house, a lovely four bedroom house located in the Upper-Middle Class area with a large backyard, a two door garage and pool. Scootaloo glanced around, making sure she saw no one from school walking the streets and quickly reached her hand down the front of her dress and pulled out the key she kept on a chain around her neck. After removing the necklace, Scootaloo let herself into the house and was greeted by the dark, loneliness of the house. The young teen kicked her shoes against the foyer wall and made her way to her bedroom.

Scootaloo's room was like most thirteen-year-old girls rooms. Messy. Right when you walked in, the far right housed a bed buried in blankets and clothes that had been tossed there earlier in the evening from when Scootaloo was hastily trying to get ready. What could be seen was a wooden sleigh bed covered and purple and orange checkered blankets. A worn yet sturdy oak desk sat next to the bed and on it set an older yet not completely outdated laptop that ran adequately for Scootaloo's gaming, social and homework needs. Her large ornate dresser was shoved on the opposite side of the room, and all its drawers hung open. On the walls and shelves hung and stood pictures of all Scootaloo's idols, the Wonderbolts, Rainbow Dash and the Flying Daredevil Lighting Dust as well as a fewer number of photos of Scootaloo with her friends or her Aunt and Mom.

Scootaloo sighed tiredly and dragged herself across the dark cranberry colored carpet and without bothering to get undressed or get rid of the clothes on top of her blankets, she crawled into bed and fell right asleep. However, her much-needed sleep was not going to last long.

It had taken every fiber of her body to convince Sunset to come home with them. Them being Luna and Celestia. After her tears had subsided a bit she tried to leave, vowing that she would never bother anyone again. And while Luna was silently wishing that the girl would so her sister could stop wasting her time on what she thought was a lost cause, Celestia was determined to bring the girl home and hopefully in the morning talk. Twilight had only briefly told Celestia about this supposed other world and who Sunset was when pulled aside shortly before the school showed her off to her portal back home.

From what she had learned, Sunset had supposedly been the student of her counterpart, a woman...well mare actually, named Princess Celestia. Twilight had also mentioned that this world was filled with magic and in her greed to master all magic and be the best, Sunset had defied Princess Celestia and had run off hopes of gaining new magical powers. She also got the gist that the crown that she had stolen was an ancient magical artifact capable of amazing feats. The giant burst of Rainbow light hitting the girl and turning her from a demon into a crying adolescence was a clear indication of that. There was much Celestia needed to know, and she was determined to get answers finally.

When they arrived home, Celestia could instantly tell her daughter was home as her mini-platform boots were tossed against the wall and she could hear the soft snores of her daughter. Luna quickly descended into the basement of the house, leaving Celestia and Sunset in the foyer of the house. No doubt she was going to load up her Xbox or PC and start playing Skyrim or something. If there was one thing Luna cared about more than family or her job, it was video games. As well as Drunken Friday [A name which had been given and used by Scootaloo on many occasions], which happened once a month on a Friday and involved the younger woman playing video games while getting drunk and eating tacos in her underwear. Thankfully while it was Friday, Drunken Friday had taken place two weeks ago. It used to happen more frequently, but Luna had realized she needed to cut down on her alcohol consumption and her late night Just Dance sessions.

“We need to talk” stated Celestia, who turned to look at Sunset, who was now sniffling instead of sobbing and was trying to dry her face. Sunset looked at her with fear, apparently unsure of what was about to transpire but believing that it couldn't be positive. Would she be punished? Was she going to be sent back to the foster system? Or was Celestia going to stop paying for an apartment for her as well as other bills and force her onto the street? Suddenly Sunsets fear spiked.

She had been a starving orphan on the streets before, back before she was Celestia's student and had ran away from the orphanage back in Washneighton after she could no longer stand the bullying and verbal abuse she and the other foals received. She was lucky, absolutely lucky that she didn't die or get maimed and raped on the streets and that she made the mistake of stealing a bag of bits from a wealthy mare on the same day Princess Celestia had been town. Had the princess not been visiting the market with the Mayor and talking to many of her subjects and not have caught her as she ran passed with a mouth full of the woolen fabric of the bit bag, she would have most likely died.

She had been thin, dirty and clearly alone. Perhaps that's why Celestia took pity on her and when she saw that she was capable of performing a great deal of magic as she managed to free herself from Celestia's grasp, decided to take her on as her personal student and have her come live with her in Canterlot Castle. Honestly, it should have been a dream and for the most part, it was but was the young mare had always wanted had been a family. Her family had died when she was barely three years old. And while there were a lot of eager young couples incapable of having biological foals or desiring a large family of mixed background, no foster family wanted her for various reasons, so she ended up at the orphanage. The rest was history.

“I get it; you just wanted to tell me that you're kicking me out. I don't blame you, but you could have done it back at the school,” said Sunset softly, tears beginning to fill her eyes again.

“Sunset, no. I want the opposite. I think it would be best if you moved out of the apartment and back into here.” stated Celestia, reaching forward and softly cupping the teen's cheeks.

“Why? Why do you want me? After all, I've done and all the pain I've caused, why?” the tears were falling once more as well Sunset was beginning to shake a bit as well.

“Because I refuse to give up on you. Sunset, I can see now just how hurt you are and the real you that has been hiding all these years. I want to help you. No, I need to. If you honestly plan on turning over a new leaf, then you will need help because we both know with all your past mistakes it will be nearly impossible to do alone. I want you to move back home so I can watch you and help you on the journey to discovering the full potential of the true Sunset Shimmer and I refuse to say no. I've already invested so much time and hope for you to call it quits. Your past mistakes no longer matter, all that matters is the path ahead of us.”

Halfway through her speech, Sunset had started sobbing again and once more Celestia found herself hugging the girl. Her mental state seemed to be that of a young child at the moment. No doubt she was fragile and in need of some love.

A loud bang resonated from upstairs which stopped both the crying teen and the high school Principal in their tracks. Scootaloo, tired and still in her fall formal dress, stomped down the stairs, tired and confused as to why there was what appeared to be a dying bird screaming somewhere in the house.

“What's going on. It's not Drunken Friday again is it?” she asked sleepily, rubbing her eyes and wondering why of all nights her aunt had to be up to her shenanigans. Celestia shook her head and motioned towards the basement.

“No, Luna is quiet tonight for some reason, which is strange seeing as her game systems are usually blaring. I was ju-What is SHE doing here!” exclaimed Scootaloo, interrupting her mother mid-sentence, now noticing the older girl who was currently wrapped in a hug from Celestia.

“She's going to be staying here from now on” stated the woman in a firm tone. Scootaloo didn't seem to like that answer as she clenched her hands and stomped her left foot against the floor. Celestia had a feeling Scootaloo was on the verge of having a teenager version of a temper tantrum.

No! She's stupid and useless plus no one wants her around. Why should I have to suffer and live with her? Just throw her onto the street where she belongs!” demanded Scootaloo, sneering at the sight of the older teen who was acting like a newborn child the way she was clinging to her mother and crying into her chest.

“If anyone realizes I'm living with that she-demon freak, I'm going to be just as much as an outcast and loser as she is!” continued the girl, her teeth clenched tightly.

“Scootaloo, enough. This decision is final. You're going to have to get over your grievances. I understand you two don't have a relationship or get along but you don't get to decide this. I do.

“What about Aun- I talked to your aunt, who is also an adult and she decided to leave the decision to me and this is the one I am presenting. It's not the end of the world. As long as she lives here, I expect no bad mouthing or arguing over the matter. Now if you're going to throw a temper tantrum then you can go to your room” said Celestia, interrupting the girl.

“I'm-m s-so sorry for what I've done to you” Scootaloo looked at the dirty, disheveled girl who pulled herself away from HER mother and spoke to her, her words hanging in the air. She snarled and let out a small, dark laugh.

“Doesn't matter, take your apology and shove it up your fat ass, you cunt.” The moment she said it, she knew she had gone way over the line of no return. Her mother looked at her and pointed towards the stairs.

“Room. Now. No phone or Internet access for a week outside of school work and you can forget about attending the Wonderbolts show next week if you continue to press the subject.” Scootaloo opened and closed her mouth a few times before turning on her heel and stomping up the stairs to her room. It was at times like these; Scootaloo hated her life.