• Published 22nd Mar 2015
  • 7,465 Views, 245 Comments

Dawn of the New Day - QueenOfTheSilence



After three years, the real Sunset Shimmer has been revealed. And while Celestia plans on helping her out, it will be up the her and only her to fix her mistakes and become the better person Celestia knows she can be.

  • ...
10
 245
 7,465

My Bad!

".....And that is how Christopher Columbus accidentally discovered America. Now, that covers today's lesson, does any one have any questions before the bell goes?"

Silence greeted Samantha Harshwhinny as she addressed her class. The twenty or so students that sat before her at their desks, most feigning interest while in reality texting or looking at the internet with their phones, looked at her with blank stares. If Samantha was most teachers, she would care but she didn't. As far as she was concerned, she wasn't being payed enough to care. The day she did, was the day Celestia and Luna gave her a substantial raise or she finally found a teaching job she actually cared about. The shrill whistle of the school bell echoed through the classroom, signaling to all that class had ended. As soon as the bell rang, the students began eagerly collecting their items and repacking their bags. Samantha didn't bother to tell them to wait for her dismissal, she too was eagerly packing up her things.

Sunset Shimmer was no different, eager to leave the boring, dull history classroom. She practically bolted out of the room and into the crowded hallway, not paying any mind that she had shoved a few students in doing so. Once in the hallway, she allowed herself to be carried with the moving crowd towards the cafeteria, like the last week at Canterlot High, she really didn't want to go to the cafeteria but she needed food and the sooner she was fed, the sooner she could run off and hide until lunch was over.

Besides, she had ulterior motives for going to the cafeteria; them. She was aware of how Scootaloo was being treated and she was about to have a stern conversation with Rainbow Dash and her friends. There was no reason why they should make the younger girl suffer for Sunset's behavior.

Like the previous days, Sunset felt the eyes on her as she stepped into the cafeteria. Whispering commenced, small shoves from people as they walked past her and people trying to trip her. She ignored them and silently entered the line to get food. When her turn came to grab food, she picked the first things she could get her hands on, not even paying attention to what she had grabbed and began the painstaking process of finding a place to eat. Naturally, no one wanted to sit with her and there weren't a lot of free tables that weren't being snatched up for every second she stood waiting.

So, she stood awkwardly in the middle of the large room, her tray of food in her hands as she took to turning and scanning every nook and cranny that she could. Finally after several moments of looking, she realized that there wasn't anywhere safe to eat. Nobody looked even remotely inviting and there were absolutely no free tables. However, it seemed she wasn't the only one in the boat, because she spotted Scootaloo out of the corner of her eye, looking around for somewhere to sit.

Sighing, Sunset decided to make her way over the younger girl. Perhaps if they couldn't find their own places to sit,t hey could find a place together. Normally, Scootaloo would turn her down or laugh at the idea, but she had been a lot less hostile the last few days. Most likely because she was dealing with the fallout with her friends.

"Scootaloo?" The girl in question, snapped her head up and turned to Sunset as she heard her name being called.

"What?"

"I see we're in the same predicament."

"And?"

"I was thinking maybe we could sit together."

Scootaloo sighed and looked around the cafeteria again. While she didn't want to be seen with Sunset, she was aware that she didn't exactly have anyone else to sit with or talk to. Part of her wanted to lash out, but mostly she just wasn't in it. Besides, it wasn't like anyone hasn't heard that they were related, at least legally. Scootaloo opened her mouth to reply but found herself cut off by a shrill, awkward sounding voice.

"Hey, hey, Sunset!"

Both Sunset and Scootaloo, turned towards the voice. As did everyone else. Standing several meters away was Derpy Hooves, who was waving madly in an attempt to gain Sunset's attention. What was odd was she was wearing a dress that was covered in muffin pattern, with the muffins having little cute faces. She was also wearing polka dot socks and a pair of converse sneakers that were a bright pink.

"Come sit with us! Bring your sister too!"

'Us?' thought Sunset, as she stared at the girl. That's when she realized that Derpy wasn't alone. At the table she was standing by, a younger girl, around Scootaloo's age was sitting, eating lunch. She looked nearly identical to Derpy, with her golden eyes and blond hair. The only difference was that her skin was a grayish-purple while Derpy's was only grey. Sunset assumed they were related, probably sisters. And she would be correct. As she began walking over, Scootaloo grabbed her arm to stop her.

"Really? You're going to sit with Ms. Derpy eyes? You do realize she's THE biggest klutz around right? Plus she's weird."

"You don't want to be seen with Derpy, but you don't mind sitting with me?" said Sunset, arching an eyebrow at the purple haired girl. Scootaloo stammered and opened her mouth a few times before shutting it. She had a point, it couldn't be any worse.

"Fine."

The two made their way over to the table. When the reached it, Derpy flashed them a big smile and gestured for them to sit down. Sunset found herself sitting next to Derpy while Scootaloo awkwardly set down next to the other girl. It was awkward because they were classmates yet they rarely interacted. Dinky Hooves as she was known, was one of the loners in her age group. She never seemed to hang out with any one else and was always alone. Honestly, no one in any of Scootaloo's classes really knew her. She tended to fade into the background and become forgotten to any and all. Dinky and Scootaloo shared a moment of awkward eye contact, not sure what to say.

"Um....Hi?" said Scootaloo after a moment of silence between the two.

"Hello." Dinky diverted her gaze and began staring at her food, poking it with her fork and trying to look small. Clearly, she wasn't much of a talker. That was okay though, Scootaloo didn't really want to talk either. Scootaloo went to start playing with her own food when a muffin was shoved into her peripheral vision.

"Lunch isn't complete without a muffin! Or several muffins in my case! Heh heh he!" said Derpy, laughing as she pushed the muffin into Scootaloo's hands. Much like her sister once had, she started at the muffin as if it was some sort of foreign object.

"What is with you two? Sunset reacted the same way when I gave her a muffin. Have you never seen one before? Wait...." Derpy let out a huge gasp and covered her mouth, tears beginning to form in the corner of her eyes.

"Your from an alternate world aren't you? Is your sister as well? Do muffins not exist from your world? Oh my god, please don't tell me that's true! No wonder you came here and went mad!" said Derpy, rambling on about how horrible it would be to live in a world without muffins. Scootaloo look at her like one would look at a snake with double heads.

"What are you talking about?"

"Muffins silly!"

"I got that but....never mind...."

"Well Derpy, Equestria, the place I'm from has plenty of muffins. And no, Scootaloo is from this world. I'm adopted." explained Sunset who eagerly took a muffin that Derpy offered her. Her mouth was practically watering as she held it in her hands. Who knew something so simple could be so delicious and perfect?

"Huh, well that's good to hear. Muffins existing in your world I mean. Dinky, blueberry or chocolate chip?"

"Chocolate." Derpy gave her sister a smile and tossed her a muffin, which she caught with ease. Everyone lapsed into silence as they munched away on their muffins, though Scootaloo was quite hesitant until she took her first bite.

"Hey this is pretty good!" Derpy let out a laugh.

"Ha! My record is still unbroken!"

"Unbroken?" asked Sunset confused as she stopped eating her own muffin and turned her attention towards the elder blonde.

"Record for how many people I can win over with my muffins! To this day, there has never been anyone who could say that my muffins are bad!"

"Well duh sissy, who could hate your muffins?" said Dinky, speaking up for the first time since Sunset and Scootaloo had sat down at the table. Derpy smiled and reached over to pat her sister on the head and ruffle her hair a bit.

"Well it helps that you're such a good muffin-making assistant!" Sunset felt a pang in her stomach as she watched the two interact. It was quite cute to see how the sisters interacted, they seemed to get along much better then Sunset and Scootaloo did, that was for sure. Perhaps, Derpy would be the key to learning how to be a sister.

Lunch passed fairly quickly, with the group downing a seemingly never ending supply of muffins. Dinky, who was reclusive and Scootaloo who felt awkward and out of place had awkwardly began small talk and surprisingly they found they had something in common. That thing was that they both seemed to like the Power Humans comic series.

"...please, everyone knows that Millisecond is the weakest member of the Power Humans!" said Scootaloo, trying her best to sound serious and authoritative. Dinky shook her head and pointed at Mistress Marvel-ous on the cover of Power Humans comic book that she had pulled out of her backpack.

"Nah, at least she has a power. Mistress Marvel-ous only has a lasso and throw able boomerang. Sure they're magical, but she doesn't have any super powers herself. If you took those away she'd be pretty much as useless as hum-drum. At least Millisecond can use her speed while Marvel-ous just has a stupid lasso."

"Yeah well...."

The two quickly began bickering about the respective powers of each of the superheros and who was superior and inferior then the other members. That left Derpy and Sunset to interact with one an other. Sunset found that Derpy had the tendency to talk a lot, her mouth seemed to be going a mile a minute. One minute she was talking about her classes, the next she was suddenly going on about the different flavors of muffins that were available. Sunset struggled to keep up with the conversation, trying her best to understand. Derpy seemed to realize something was wrong because she stopped chattering on.

"Oh sorry, am I talking to fast? Sorry, I have a habit of doing that."

"It's okay."

"Nah, I'm being inconsider-" Derpy let out a bloodcurdling screaming as she trailed off mid sentence. Crawling up her arm was a large, black spider. Derpy did not like spiders or bugs of any sort, especially after a traumatic event during her childhood in which a group of older kids had locked her in a spider infested cellar. To have one touching her skin was on par with being stabbed in Derpy's eyes. She jumped up from the table and began squirming and hitting her arm with her other one. Unfortunately, to say Derpy was a klutz was an understatement, no matter how much she tried or how many precautions she took, something was always happening. This instance was no different. Mid-dance, Derpy's foot came in contact with a chair leg, tripping her. With a loud yelp, she found herself falling forward on her face, knocking a lunch tray on her way down.

What happened next was something out a movie. And Sunset wasn't sure exactly what happened. All she knew was that the tray and the food on it went flying through the air and despite not going far, the food managed to land on several nearby students. The tray, smacked into the janitor's forehead. That janitor who had been moping the floors, accidentally pushed over the large bin of water he was using to clean the floor which in turn, came in contact with a power cord that was connecting a vacuum to one of the wall sockets. Water and electricity never mixed safely, not once. The two coming together, forced the cord and the vacuum to explode in a fiery shower of sparks and sending kids running. The explosions was big enough that it managed to reach one of the many hanging tapestries around the cafeteria, setting it on fire. The fire moved between the tapestries, setting the entire cafeteria on fire. All of this happened in less then two minutes.

"My bad!" called Derpy, her face still planted against the floor.

The kicker was that the moment the chain of chaos went off, a very tired looking Celestia and concerned Luna had stepped into the cafeteria, capturing every single moment. Celestia gave a sigh and turned and left the cafeteria, leaving her sister to deal with the chaos. Just another thing to mention to Faust. As the shrill bell of the fire alarm echoed through the halls and the sprinklers activated, showering everyone, both sisters knew it was going to be another long week.