• Published 23rd Mar 2015
  • 444 Views, 10 Comments

A Home for fallen stars - K_moonshard



Luna watches over the dreams of all the ponys of equestria yet No pony asked, Where do all the fears, pain and night mares go?

  • ...
 10
 444

A lost kingdom

Author's Note:

ha ha i meant for this chapter to stop around 2500 words. but at some point it started writing it self. I hope you like the update if you've made it this far thank you for reading. Enjoy

"......Princess..........princess, it's time"

Twilight awoke groggy and disoriented. “mh.....Spike?"

"No princess it’s Keba."

Twilight made notice of the still cloaked pony hybrid. Startled still by the sight of him she shot up out of bed and took flight to put distance between them. “Ah..... Oh Keba, it’s you. Is it finally time?"

"Yes we should get going we have a lot of things to cover before we get there." Turning to head back out the door. "For starters that reaction to other is not going to bode well for you there. Even if you are a princess."

"Sorry this is still new to me." Twilight landed behind Keba fallowing him out of the room. “Where are Spike and gem?"

"They are down stairs awaiting you, apparently getting a young drakony to sleep in the middle of the day was asking a bit much." Keba smirked.

Twilight and Keba Made there was to bar. Where they rejoined spike and gem. Keba informed them it will be a 3 mile walk to their destination. So with no time to waste they headed on their trip to.

Almost two and half miles in and this is the first any of them have spoken a word. Keba figured with them drawing near there destination. This was as good a time as any to get them prepared for what was about to happen. Or at least as much as he felt they needed to know at this point.

"Ok we are almost there."

"Where? We are in the middle of the desert." Spike hissed at him.

"The entrance to Star Town. Is well hidden out here."

("Star Town?)" Twilight thought to herself. "(I've heard that before, but where.............The train the changeling on the train said something about a Star Town.)" Twilight did not know what a changeling had to do with this Star town, but before they were going to go any further she was going to get some answers.

Keba came to a halt in front of a large wall of rocks. "We will rest here before continuing. If you have any concerns or questions now is the time to make them known." He sat on in haunches and looked directly at Twilight. His red eyes seemed to pierce through the darkness of the night.

"How did you?" Twilight did not know how he caught on to her concern, but it works to her advantage. “I do have questions before we proceed." He simply sat their looking at her." You said were going to a place call Star Town?"

"Yes"

"What is it exactly, I've never heard of it before yesterday, you happen to be the second po... wol....um, indusial too mention it.”

"Hmm... pony is fine I am half pony on my mother’s side Pegasus to be exact...... Wait did you say second?"

"Yes on the way here we got searched, on the train by a group of ponies lead by a pony named Pure Bread."

A twitch in his left eye. “And he mentioned Star town to you?"

This was the first look of what twilight thought she would call fear on his face. "No. There was another pony or changeling more so. She was confronting Pure bread and his gang. Just before she disappeared with Pure Bread and his group." Keba's face became noticeably more relaxed. "Why would a changeling be trying to protect a place princess Luna sent us too?"

"I can and will tell you, but first I think I should tell you more about Star town’s history. Hundreds of moons ago after the fall of Discord. Luna wanted to create a new home for the children who were haunted buy the nightmares of their dark time under discord’s reign. Without sleep they were able to see the beauty of the night. But Celestia forbid her to dived the ponied of an already weekend nation, she did not listen. Luna guided 12 young ponies to a new home one free of fear of nightmares or judgment. But knowing her sister would not let this new home for them go against her ruling. She hid it away.”

“Do you understand so far?”
Both Twilight and Spike nodded. Gem on the other hand looked bored. “I already know this.”
Spike looked slightly shocked at his daughter. “How do you know this?

“Flame Charge told me when we were playing.”

“Oh, I am still very upset you never told your mom and me about you talking to the princess or about the bullying.”

“I told mom about the bully’s. She didn’t want to tell you because we knew you would just get all riled up and start a big fuss.”

“You’re darn right I would have. Someone picking on my baby girl…..”

“Spike, Gem. “Twilight interpreted. “I don’t think he was finished and we can talk about this later. Ok?”

“Ok”

“Ok”
Twilight nodded and looked back at Keba. “Please continue.”
“Right….. Anyway keeping the rest of Equestria's nightmares in check and keeping up her appearance with her sister, kept her away for long spans of time on end but never too long. Because they were so young, they came to calling her mother of the night. Over time more lovers of the night came and what started as a small town grew into a small kingdom. Luna's power alone could no longer cloak the town and we were becoming too noticeable. So she left her alicorn artifact with us to protect us. That is what you’re here for. She had never been separated from her artifact for long. So she could not have known about the effect of being away from it that is when she started her decent into becoming Nightmare Moon and you know the rest. "Keba could see this was not answering her question but she seemed to have an interests in the history lesson. “After Luna's imprisonment the ponies of Star Town decided they would continue to lead by their mother’s example taking in those lovers of the beautiful night and those who needed somewhere to call home. Without judgement or premade assumptions."

"Oh wow" Twilight and Spike seemed ah stuck. "But how does that answer my question about the changeling? And what is an alicorn artifact?”

"I did say all who needed a home. Now princess when you go to Stair Town. You’re going to have to forget everything you know about good and evil races. The only evil ones are the ones like Pure bread. And to answer your question the changelings name is Nova Moonshard."

"Wait what! Moonshard? Are you related or married?"

"She wishes, but no. The name Moonshard is given to the descendants and successors of the original 12 ponies who founded the town, and still sit as its counsel. She was on that train to escort some others back to Star Town. She is there now and trust me. If you stick with me you will run into her again.”

Twilight did not look too excited about that information.

"And I don’t know all there is to know about the artifacts. What I do know is they are powerful artifacts that can only be used by alicorns and they all have specific priorities. From the rumors and knowledge I have gathered. You are familiar with several of them. The Crystal Heart, The Moon Stone Now and I am sure Celestia has one as well. Your crown is one as well. I’ve also heard there was once a dark king who succeeded in making a new one. That unicorns could use, but I am sure that was just a rumor. So, now knowing our history and our secrets are you going to be able to keep them even if things don’t go as planned?"

"Secret?" spike asked

"Yes, it is not only for the sake of keeping the ponies and other residents of Star town safe. but also because Calestia still does not know of us and until Luna says otherwise or it is unavoidable we intend to keep it that way."

Twilight, Spike and Gem all looked at each other "Yes!"

"Very well, I guess I have no choice but to take you at your word. You will have to convince the rest of the console to let you take the moonstone." Keba made his way to a cluster of rocks shifting them away to reveal a small cup nothing spectacular just a normal looking wooden cup.
Keba noticed the confusion of twilight and company. He grabbed a small sharp rock out of the cup with his paw. “Long ago when Luna was watching over Star Town it was up to her to open and close the gate. After that it was set as a simple pass code, but...." he paused as to choose his words carefully. "There was an incident." These days the only ones who can open the gate are console members and Luna and only with blood." Ruffling under his cloak extended his wing. It was grey at the top with brown feathers extending much further than most Pegasus but smaller than a griffons. A small cut on the tip of his wing where the fur has refused to grow. He took the small blade like rock and cut along the grove. With a wince he hovered the dripping cut over the cup.

Lights of dark blue espier like orbs flew out of the cup and into the ground nearby. A light rumble and a zap later the ground erupted an archway of stone ancient runs carver into the stone. Twilight noticed that these where part of Star swirl the Bearded's tomes of sealing.

"How did you learn these?" Twilight asked

He didn't even make a motion to look at her. "I'll bet you thought the Star Swirl wing in canter lot was all of his research." Now he looked back at Twilight. As the gate reached its full mass and swirls of blue light radiated between its pillars. "That's only the research the princesses deemed safe for display. We have the rest. From the hidden vault in the castle of the two sisters." With that Keba turned to enter to gate. With one last glance back before entering the gate. “Welcome Princess Twilight Sparkle. Too Star town.”

On the other side of the gate the world changed around them. Now standing at the top of a hill that that was just moments before an open plain. Twilight and spike looked in ah at the castle town of Star town. From where they were standing they had a view of most of the town. Too the west what appeared to be a clam but active volcano. Too the East a river or large pond could be seen. In the center was a smaller then Canterlot, but Still big enough to be noticed as the centerpiece of the town castle. The castle was surrounded by a mixture of what looked like homes or shops.

Twilight thought to herself. (“Everyone must be asleep. Because the town Looks abandoned.”) Twilight looked over at spike. Who seemed to have come to the same conclusion. Gem on the other hoof look absolutely ecstatic. “Keba. Where is everyone?”

“Asleep”

That’s what she figured. “So why did we have to wait until everyone was asleep. If we needed to talk to this counsel?” Twilight looked slightly irritated at this point and was notably trying to keep a clam tone. “You odiously know what we are here for and what could happen if we don’t get back in time.”

He made no reaction to counter argue. “(In time?)” He wisped almost inaudibly. “Look Princess. First off, here you have no power or ruling. If I could I would give you the Moon Stone right now. So you could be on your way to save our mother. But one of us cannot give it to you. Most decisions take majority vote to do without Luna present. Second, the gate is designed not no open until to moon is at its peak in the sky.” He took steps to stand in between Star Town and Twilight. Looked Twilight right in the eye. ”And third, I told you this is a place for the lovers of the night, a home for those with nowhere to go, a home for those who have lost their place in the world. This is a home for fallen stars.

Behind keba lights started to come on. The streets started to light up music could be heard in the distance. What could only be described as unfiltered moonlight washed over the town. Twilight and spike looked in ah. This was star Town, Luna’s Kingdom.

Keba was smirking. He knew he timed that out perfectly. Trying to take a moment to bask in how cool he look. Was cut short by Gem. ”Daddy daddy look over by the volcano. Dragons!” Both Spike and Twilight looked to confirm what she said.

“Oh Wow honey, your right maybe we can go see if any one we know is there.” Spike knew this was unlikely. He grew up with ponies and they gave him a hard time when Gem was born. Outside of Ember spike tried his best to keep Gem out of sight of other dragons. So as not to cause her any more emotional harm. “Wait, why are their dragons here?” He looked to Keba for answers.

“I told you this is a home for all how need a place to go. Other than ponies there are dragons, griffons, wolfs, deer, buffalo and” Keba felf the hairs on the back of his mane stand on end. “And” he took a quick step to the left and something crashed where he was standing a moment ago. When the dust settled he was looking down at a green Pegasus with a blue mane.”(Sigh) And one Changeling.”

“Owe, Why Did You move? That hurt.” The Pegasus stood up and jumped from the small creator she created to glomp Keba. Wrapping her arms around him she seemed as happy as a filly to see him. “I knew it had to be you coming true the gate. I could feel you.”

Keba looked contempt and irritated at the same time. “I asked you before not to jump on me at full speed like that. And you’re in town now why are you in disguise?”
She looked down then at Twilight and wisped something In Keba’s Ear. “Ah.” He looked up at Twilight. “Princess Twilight.”

“Huh”

“I know you have a past with changelings. But here in Star Town no one is held accountable for the cations of others of their species. Is that something you can agree too?”

Twilight look like she was arguing with herself. Before looking back at Keba and The Pegasus and nodded.

“There see now come on get out of that”

The Pegasus looked like she wasn’t sure what to do. So she berried her muzzle in Keba’s neck and her body was engulfed in green flames. When no scream or torches came she let go of Keba’s neck but stayed close to him. He smiled and waved a paw motioning to her. “This is Nova Moonshard. A Changeling with a heart.”

Over the past couple years more research has been done on Changelings. Among other things they have found out that other than Queens drown Changelings don’t have hearts. This is why both Twilight and Spike looked like their jaws were about to fall off their facieses. And gem just looked confused as to why they looked so surprised. “Well du she had a heart. Everyone has a heart.” Gem said with the confidence only a child could have.

This brought a smile to Nova’s face. (“If only the rest of the world could see it the way she dose….”)

“No sweetie.” spike said to correct his daughter. “No Changelings, Other than Queens have hearts….. Wait are you a Queen?”

“..Um…ua…..No” Nova sounded. Not sad but contempt in her words.

“Wait” Twilight interjected. “All of our research on Changelings had pointed to only queens having hearts.”
“Princess Twilight! Take a moment to actually see Nova. Outside of your own assumptions”

“hu?” Twilight couldn’t tell if he was speaking from a place to protect a friend or a lover. But what he said confused her even more. “What do you mean I can see her right…..” That’s when it struck her. She really look at her. To look past the fact that she was a Changeling. “No holes? Your body, there are no holes on your body.”

“Um…yeah the Changelings from Equestria are the offspring of Chrysalis. Is told that years ago she used dark magic to rip out her own heart. The holes on her and her offspring is a physical manifestation of that act.”

“So you’re not from Equestria?”

“As far as I know, no.”

“And you don’t feed on love?”

“……….”

“Do you?!”

“I can feed on love but…..”

“But?”

“But she only feeds on me.” Keba cut it.

“On you? So that means…”

“That means it is none of your concern.”keba looked slightly annoyed. But he knew he had a job to do. “Nova, enough of this chit chat I need you to send out a message. To all of the console members, we need everyone back ASAP. It concerns The Moon stone.”

“Oh no. what’s going on?”

“It’s Luna, she’s in trouble. I’ll explain more everyone gets here.”

“ok. But it might take some time Bloom and Frost are both out on retrieval missions to for new families.”

“I understand, get the message out over the console link.” Nova nodded and was about to take off but before she could. “And after that come find me. We need to talk about why you did not report a run in with Pure bread.”

Nova looked like a filly caught with her hoof in the cookie jar. “haaaa….yes sir.” Nova flew off in the direction of the castle.

“Well it’s going to take some time before they all can be here.” Twilight looked like she was about to give a retort. “Before you even start. I told you things may not go as you want. If it was just up to me you would be on your way to Canterlot by now with the Moon Stone.” Twilight didn’t like what she was hearing but she had no choice. This was not her kingdom she could not just waltz into the Cristal Empire and start barking orders. Nor could she do so here. “Look Princess this is a new kingdom for you and things may not go as you want. Why not take some time to see our people and understand what we have to protect?”

“……..well I suppose there not much else we can do. What do you say spike, Gem?”

“Maybe we can go to that volcano and see how dragons here live.”

“hum?” Keba looked confused. “Well I must say I’m impressed. Even among our citizen your kind and the lava dragons don’t really get along.”

“What do you mean my kind?”

“Wait she was sirius? You really don’t know where you’re from.”

Spike looked hurt and confused. “My egg was found in white tail woods. So no I don’t really know much about myself.”

“hmm…well maybe coming here is not going to be a waste. Spike you are not a lava dragon, you are what we have come to calling an Aquadrid. A water dragon.”

“A water dragon? But who, what, How?”


“Go to the lake. Learn something about yourself.”

Spike looked at twilight. Then at Gem. “Well this is big news, why not. Twilight are you coming?”

“Shure Spike. I would love to learn more about dragon culture.” So they were about to make their way to the lake.

“I would have thought you would like to see the library before the meeting.”

“Library?”

“Yes, and the rest of star swirls is on public display here.”

Twilight looked at spike with a look of (please). When it came to new books twilight was no better than a school filly in a toy store. “Go on twilight, gem and I will be fine.

With that they parted ways Spike and gem to the lake, keba and Twilight to the library.
“WAIT!” Gem made sure to be herd before everyone parted ways. “I want to see flame while we are here”

“He’s in school at the ill send him you way when we see him.” Keba tried to reassure the young drakony. She seemed to be satisfied with that. So on their ways they went.