• Published 13th May 2015
  • 755 Views, 3 Comments

My Little Fortress: Shadytrails - PersonalGamer



Set 30 years before the founding of Dawnpick, Shadytrails is a newly-established trading outpost run by the Prestigious Confederation, one of the few merchant guilds spanning the gaps between civilizations.

  • ...
4
 3
 755

PreviousChapters Next
[32] 22nd Hematite, 222

22nd Hematite, 222

On this particular day, Silver Rush picked out a low-lying cloud to snag and use as a cushion for relaxing. From atop his new perch, the bat-pegasus could see all parts of the fledgling town at once. As he watched the residents below at their various jobs or hobbies, Silver paid particular attention to one of the figures: Kiume. The zebra had been something of a recluse, rarely interacting with others unless it concerned his job in some way. Much of his time was spent sharpening his skill with a sword, which was just as true today as any other.

Having heard recent news about the soldier’s change of status, Silver decided to go down and have a talk with him. He wasn’t clear on all of the facts, but the bat-pony suspected that giving the zebra a bit of support with a pep talk couldn’t hurt. He grasped the edges of the cloud and propelled it downward towards Kiume with his wings. After settling at a height within easy earshot, Silver called out to well-muscled equine, “Hey, Mr. Kiume! Nice weather today, wouldn’t you say?”

Kiume jumped, relaxing when he found the source of the greeting. “Right now it does seem good to me, but in those clouds rain I foresee,” he answered awkwardly. He didn’t seem comfortable with the idea of a casual conversation. “Er… have you had any luck working underground? There must be some valuable rocks here, I’ll be bound.”

“There sure are. I found plenty of minerals that could be cut into gemstones. Even without that luxury at our hooves, they are still worth something in their raw form. I could even show you around the mine someday if you wanted.” He seems a little nervous. Maybe I should ask about something he has enthusiasm for. Silver retained his smile as he took in the sight of the zebra’s weapon, “That’s quite a blade. Does it have any history to it or is it just something standard issue? Just about every time I see you you’re practicing with it.”

“It…” Kiume sighed. “We inherited weapons when we came of age, so that we could protect our tribe with an ancestor’s rage. My grandfather fought a dragon with this, if the stories are true. I hoped I’d be able to be a hero one day too.”

The bat-pony descended from his cloud and stepped closer to look at the sword in detail, “I would wish you good luck in that quest, but at the same time I guess that means I’d be wishing for you to put yourself in danger. I wouldn’t wish that on anypony. In the unfortunate event that your services really are needed in repelling enemies, I’m sure you’ll do just fine given how much you train.” He stepped back a bit and looked up at the taller equine, “Besides, you did help save Dawn Star from that badger. That’s got to count for something, right?”

Kiume fell silent, staring into the distance. Then, his head bowed, he answered quietly, “A single life I was able to save cannot repay those I allowed go to the grave. The sword I use cannot win me fame, I’ve already steeped it in my shame. Before I joined this expedition, forgetting that was my only mission. My family was killed in a vicious attack and only I escaped the sack. Every day I remember their screams. In my thoughts and in my dreams.” Kiume sighed, then his eyes widened. He slowly turned to face Silver Rush, hitching a brittle grin on his face.

“Oh dear, I’m sure that you’re quite bored, I’d better just go train with my sword,” he gabbled desperately, putting the blade on his back and spinning to leave.

“Whoa, whoa, hold on there a second!” The winged stallion interjected as he reached out a hoof, “Are you...serious? I’m sorry if this is a sensitive subject for you, but I had no idea you’d gone through anything like that! Do any of the others know about this?” That casts a whole new light on everything. Is that why he stepped down? Did his inability to protect his family make him feel unworthy of military authority? Maybe that’s also why he tends to stay to himself all the time…

“Oh, no,” Kiume answered, then cleared his throat. “I’ve never really talked about what happened that night; I’m just worried it’d give them too much of a fright. I thought it’d be better if I stayed alone and kept my problems as my own. I’m sorry that I sprung this out of the blue, I won’t mention it if it’s too much of a burden for you.” Well, Kiume, here comes your fear. He’ll tell everyone and you’ll be out on your ear.

Silver tilted his head a bit to the left, “I can understand that...but did you ever think that talking about it would help you cope? You can’t just keep yourself buried under that kind of grief without help. It’ll eat away at your soul.” He momentarily scanned the nearby houses, “I’m sure you’ll find that there are more residents here that would be willing to listen to your story than you think.”

Kiume frowned. “It could be that what you say is true,” he admitted. “Perhaps I’ll talk and tell a few. Is there anything I can do to repay the advice that you gave me today?”

The neckerchief-wearing pony raised both eyebrows, “...repay? No, no, that’s alright. I wouldn’t charge for that. Although...I would like it if you tried to spend more time with the rest of us. You know, chit-chat, play a few games, have some laughs. That kind of thing. Nothing soothes the spirit like a good round of friends.”

“I’ll bear in mind all that you’ve said,” the zebra nodded seriously. “I think I see brighter days ahead. I think I’ll take you up on your mine sight-see, whenever you have a day or two free.”

“Sure thing!” Silver grinned, “I’ll let you get back to your training now. Maybe we’ll see each other at supper? We can talk more about the mine then. Have a good day, Mr. Kiume!” The bat-pony waved a hoof and took his cloud back to a higher altitude. Maybe I got through to him some today. At least I gave him some hope for a better future. That’s what matters most.

PreviousChapters Next