• Published 13th May 2015
  • 751 Views, 3 Comments

My Little Fortress: Shadytrails - PersonalGamer



Set 30 years before the founding of Dawnpick, Shadytrails is a newly-established trading outpost run by the Prestigious Confederation, one of the few merchant guilds spanning the gaps between civilizations.

  • ...
4
 3
 751

PreviousChapters Next
[10] 5th Felsite, 222

The relative shortage of working hooves around Shadytrails saw to it that everypony helped with tasks that were outside their main line of expertise. Silver Rush was no exception. Although mining was its own reward for him, he had no problems pitching in when others needed some aid with their own chores and responsibilities. Today held one such occasion for him as he pulled a cart laden with freshly-cut timber over to the area designated for carpentry projects. The wheels rattled on the uneven ground as he drew closer to the fuchsia unicorn, “Hey Rose! I got the load you requested! Where do you want me to leave it at?”

Rosewood glanced up at the bat-pony, hammer suspended in mid-air spinning and turning this way and that. “Hey, Silver. Umm…” She glanced around then pointed to an empty area the right size. “Over there’ll be good, thanks.”

An ear twitched on the bat-pony’s head in response to her glum reply, “Alright then.” He towed the cart over to the side of a work bench and parked it there, loosening himself from the harness that attached him to his trailer. He then took a few steps closer to the mare, asking her plainly, “You don’t seem your usual spunky self today. Got your mind on something?”

She moved her head in a motion that could be taken either way, looking back to the floating hammer which continued to spin back and forth. “Guess so, but who hasn’t? It’s silly, nothing t’worry about, I should think.” She turned to the pile of wood and brought the hammer over, summoning a piece of parchment from near the workbench. “Now, what’s next on the list...?” She muttered, though it was obvious her thoughts weren’t on her skills.

“You sure about that? Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to prod into private matters if this is something you’re uncomfortable discussing. Still, I’d like to help my friends when I can. I’ve got a good set of listeners on me if you need to get something off your chest.” The stallion fluttered both of his tufted ears when he spoke that last sentence.

The unicorn couldn’t help a small smile. “I don’t doubt that, sir.” She lowered the hammer and the list, staring off into the distance. “I still think it’s silly, seeing how - as I said - everypony’s probably feeling like this, but… I guess I’m just a lil’ homesick.”

“Oh there’s no need to call me ‘sir’, I doubt I’m that much older than you,” Silver chuckles as he goes over to sit down beside the carpenter, understanding now what her plight was, “Ah, yeah, we all get bitten by that bug every now and then. I’m guessing you left family and friends behind when you decided to tag along with the rest of us, yeah?”

Rose nodded. “Yeah. Not that I haven’t been enjoyin’ it here! Maybe I’d like a lil’ more contact with them, but I know that can’t be helped. I don’t mean t’be complainin’.”

“Just stick it out a little longer. We should get a postal system set up here eventually. Then you can send letters back home about just how much fun you’ve been having.” The miner smiled, “For what it’s worth, I’ll do what I can to make this a warmer, friendlier place. Nothing helps with homesickness like having new friends.” He patted her on the shoulder.

She smiled and looked back at him. “Thanks. I’ve got quite a few stored up ready to post.” She glanced around at all the wood. “That’s a good load, thanks again.”

“You’re quite welcome. You’re quite the busy pony, so I help when I can. Especially if you’ve got emotional baggage weighing you down.” The fanged equine debated something in his mind, but finally decided to go through. He draped a membranous wing around the spikey-haired mare’s back, “Think a hug will make you feel better? I apologize if you’d rather not.”

She smiled and leaned into the embrace. “No, I’m fine with hugs. They’re usually the best medicine for blues.” She sighed again, then her ears perked as though she’d had a sudden thought. “Oh, anything of inspiration in the mines today?”

Silver felt a well of satisfaction when she reacted positively, “I’d say so. There’s definitely something poetic about that place. The way the orange light from the lanterns flickers off of the glittering quartzite in the walls. The echoes of water droplets dancing across the stony floor after falling from the dew-covering ceiling. The ephemeral, shattered sparks given off when that cold steel pick finds purchase in a vein of metallic ore…”

Rose’s eyes had grown wider and wider with every word as the images passed through her mind, ears focused on his voice. Sure, she was more of a carpenter at heart, but writing had captivated her too. “Sounds beautiful… I’m curious t’see that now…”

“When your break comes up, I can show you around inside. Don’t think you’ve been there since you installed the staircase. There’s a lot more room down there now that I’ve carved a tunnel into the side of the bedrock. How’s that sound?”

She nodded. “Sounds perfect. I shouldn’t have too much longer, I imagine you can wait?” She moved from his wing and picked up the list again. “If we’d like to head off faster maybe you could help me finish this current one off?”

“Sure thing! I’ve got all my mining finished for the day anyway. Just tell me what I need to do, since cutting and carving wood really isn’t my thing,” Silver admits, proceeding to do whatever he can to aid in Rosewood’s work.

PreviousChapters Next