• Published 13th May 2015
  • 755 Views, 3 Comments

My Little Fortress: Shadytrails - PersonalGamer



Set 30 years before the founding of Dawnpick, Shadytrails is a newly-established trading outpost run by the Prestigious Confederation, one of the few merchant guilds spanning the gaps between civilizations.

  • ...
4
 3
 755

PreviousChapters Next
[29] 17th Hematite, 222

17th Hematite, 222

The moon rests high in the nighttime sky, obscured by clouds as they pass it by. The rather busy village of ponies has all but quieted down. Despite this, a griffon and unicorn wandered the -rather lonely- street. Lucky and Fargo had been given the night shift for that week and it hasn’t been the kindest on her. Mainly the fact she wasn’t the best choice for staying up until dawn. So much so in that she would occasionally nod off before being rudely awaken by her companion.

Lucky trotted off around a corner, eyes growing heavy. It’d been quite a few hours since she normally went to bed, and while she had been used to staying up, her body definitely wasn’t ready for the change. She leaned against the closest building and quickly fell asleep, despite her obvious duties.

She’d get to nap a little while, as it was going to take fargo a bit of time before he’d walk by her as he continued his patrol. Once he got to the building she was at, Fargo made a loud sigh, before shaking her a little. “Come on, you have a job.”

Lucky quickly opened her eyes, her horn lighting up before realizing where she was. “W-What…?” She mumbles, a bit disoriented and groggy.

He shook her again before letting go. “You fell asleep again.” He was tired as well, but at least he was able to keep his eyes open. “Try not to take a break and instead keep walking. When you rest you sleep.”

She sighs and gets steady on her hooves again. “You’d be sleeping on the job as well…” She stretched, mumbling about never doing the night shift if she can help it. “How much longer are we going to be out?”


“Until it get bright out again.” He frowned, before backing away from her. “I know you’re new to this, but you need to get yourself to stay up.”

“Yeah yeah…” She sighs, falling back into line. “Well… Since we’re here, might as well talk, no?”

“Eh....” He tried to think of a way out of it, but decided not to make things awkward. “Alrighty.”

She chuckles trotting ahead. “Didn’t think you’d take the offer.” She turns around. “So, I assume you have a reason for accepting? Not really one to talk to friends.”

He cringed a little when he called him a friend. “You know um, I call everyone friend right?”

She smirked. The reaction definitely was one she was looking for. “Same here too, friend. Why is that?”

He made another sigh. “This is what I get for trying to talk with you...”

“What’s a little socialization to keep us awake? Or are you hiding something~?” She said, jokingly adding a singsong voice to her tone.

“No, I don’t.” He started to walk off to continue his patrol, but kept talking to her. “What makes you think such a thing?”

She shrugs, following him. “People hide things all the time. Can’t hurt to wonder, eh?”

“Yes, but picking at other people’s personal things can.”

“You don’t have anything to hide from me.” She chuckles. “Naaah, just joking. Apologies?”

“Eh, sure...” He said, as he looked out into the dark, trying to spot anything that could be out there.

She sighs, looking around as well, trying to think of something to either say or ask, while she didn’t like the griffon, socializing on duty is nothing new. “Hmmph… You’re no fun when you’re on duty.”

“It’s not just that I’m on duty.” He muttered. “What do you want me to do eh?” He sounded a little annoyed, but not very angry. “This is a job, not play time.”

Lucky sighs once again, however for a different reason. “Do you want an emotionless suck up, or someone who has a personality?”

“I don’t need a suck up, I just prefer people don’t cause problems.” He then turned to face her again. “And there is a difference between not being mean and sucking up.”

“Apologies for the outburst. I am just trying to keep myself distracted from the fact I am tired as hell. I tend to become more… Annoying, if you wish to call it that, when I’m this tired.” She sighs and takes a less annoyed tone, going to her more monotone, professional voice. “And on the term usage, I believe I was correct. Past experiences with my CO has proven me correct.”

He frowned, before looking away. “You don’t have to be sorry, you just need to try and not be as mean or cold to people...” He’d pause for a moment. “What if you went and took a nap or something for an hour or three, and then I wake you up and then I take a nap while you patrol?”

She shrugs. “I suppose that works, at least until proper schedules are set up. Prevents arguments, at least.”

“Alrighty. Just tell me where you are going to go sleep so I wake you up later.”

She shrugs again, already looking sleepier. “Eh… It’ll be somewhere in that general direction.” She pointed to the main building and quickly made her way over. “See you whenever…” Lucky called out as she left.

“Yeah, see you later.” He said, before starting to walk off. He didn’t really trust her to stay up during her shift, but he might as well give her a chance again. Nothing had happened in town, and he was starting to let his guard down.

PreviousChapters Next