• Published 8th Mar 2015
  • 370 Views, 5 Comments

The One True Queen - Queen of Cupcakes



A story of time travel, with the most unlikely of heroes...

  • ...
 5
 370

Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Nice to …er…Meet You or Lost in Time

The ride this time round was even more disastrous then the last for Doohickey. Lights blinked rapidly and the Tardis console was sparking and there were explosions sounding deep into the Tardis's core. It was all Doohickey could do to keep her hold on the console.

"Quantum Bridge Failing. Switching to emergency power." The Tardis automated voice called out

"NO no no! You can't switch now that'll…" Doohickey was cut off by the console exploding a few feet to her right. She was thrown backwards and caught herself on the back railing. She flew over it back to the console and opened the instruction manual. "Well that isn't helpful at all." She threw the book off to the side. The chain snapped. The book sailed over the railing just as the console began to smoke dangerously. The middle pillars glass cracked. Doohickey stared at her fractured reflection in tears. Suddenly the Tardis gave an almighty shudder.

"Temporal engine failing… traveling to primary destination." Suddenly the screen that Doohickey hadn't been able to turn on and flashed with lists and list of co-ordinates. At last is settled on one co-ordinate. The screen showed a map of Equestria before zooming to the Tardis's primary destination. It was about a mile away from the southern bridge of Ponyville about three miles from the apple family barn. Doohickey waited before she heard the tell tale whirling sound. At that she tried to shut of the power

"Manual Override Failed." Doohickey's ear drooped and her eyes widened. The other side of the console exploded taking a section of the landing with it. "Temporal Engine Meltdown Imminent, Evacuate immediately." Doohickey gasped before galloping to the door. She was thrown into it by another powerful explosion, this time below the console. She push it open and slammed it shut. She gasped as she took in her surroundings. This was Ponyville… HER Ponyville.

"Oh no no no!" she turned to the Tardis only to see that the windows were flashing with red and orange. She jumped back as the Tardis began to shake and smoke ominously. Suddenly it was sucked into it self before disappearing with a pop, like one of the bubbles on her mother's cutie mark. Doohickey stood there in shock…until the whole gravity of the situation came down upon her and she collapsed into wracking tears. She sobbed and sobbed and sobbed until somepony above her cocked a shotgun.

"You've got ten seconds ta flap those wing o' yer's and get of my land before I tern ya into Swiss cheese." Applejack said pointing her shotgun at Doohickey's face. Doohickey could see that Applejack still had her hat and wasn't wearing her Empirical armor. She breath a subtle sigh of relief, it wasn't her time after all, then she realized Applejack was counting.

"Five…four…three…t"

"Wait!" Doohickey cried out. She hoped from the bottom of her heart.

"Ugh… what?" YES!

"Can I please borrow your phone…" Applejack looked at her in annoyance. Doohickey pouted that special way she did that got her extra deserts from the rations guard. Applejack winced

"Fine, then can I shoot ya?"

"Um, I'd like it if you didn't…" Applejack just grunted and led Doohickey to the apple ranch. Every so often Doohickey would try to stop and turn to talk to applejack, if only to make sure the orange mare didn't shoot her, only to be nudge forwards with the barrel of the gun. Finally they reached the apple family barn, the upper windows were boarded up and there were only shriveled up stalks in the fields by the house. Doohickey stared at the sight forlornly. She knew it wasn't her time now. In her time Applejack had administered the destruction of Sweet apple Acres. Most of the trees in the eastern end of the farm had been cut down and the barn and farmhouse had been dismantled. Doohickey remembered because she accidentally ran into one of the support beams on the upper floor and knocked the whole building down. She hadn't heard then end of that one… both in laughter and annoyance, the guards wanted to whip her within an inch of her life, her father just wanted to laugh… for what seemed like hours.

" What are you standing around for, waiting for grass to grow? Move it! The phones by the door." Applejack said. Doohickey cringed at the barren wasteland that once held grass. Not likely. She trotted inside and dialed` the six-digit number of the Tardis phone .3.6

"Come on… come on." Doohickey whispered a plea, as there was a single tone. Then the other tones of the numbers sounded before the phone rang twice. Doohickey waited. Finally there was a click. Somepony had picked up!


"Um… hello?" Fluttershy called out

"Is this the peace core?"

"Yes… um… what is you'd like from us?" Fluttershy asked motioning to Ditzy who was swinging on the bars upside down. Ditzy nodded and flew off for the doctor. The voice on the receiver sniffed.

"I need a pick-up."

"Okay dear." Fluttershy said sweetly before putting her hoof on the microphone as the doctor trotted in. "It's a pick-up."

"Alright, I'm ready, where are we going?" the doctor asked hoof on the ignition lever. Fluttershy blushed realizing she had not asked.

"Oh, um, I'm very sorry dear, where did you say you were again?"

"Sweet Apple Acres."

"Sweet Apple Acres!" Fluttershy nearly fainted. Only Ditzy holding her up kept her from doing so. The doctor took the phone.

"Alright little one, stay on the phone, don't you dare hang up until we're there okay?"

"…Doctor?" the voice called out questioningly. The doctor gasped and stalled his button pushing.

"Doohickey? But how? We thought for sure you were caught in the Canterlot fires!" the doctor said shocked. The phone was wrestled form his hooves by Ditzy.

"Ohmygosh, Doohickey! We thought you were DEAD! Are you okay! Oh no, of course your not your in sweet apple acres… Wait! Doctor she's in sweet apple acres! What are you standing there for? we have to rescue her! Move it!" she glared angrily at the Doctor who was shocked into action. They both knew the dangers of sweet apple acres, of the mare that called that barren landscape home. The whirling sound brought them closer to the little filly. Fluttershy stood by the door waiting for the Doctor's signal. As the whirling stopped the doctor nodded and Fluttershy opened the door.


Applejack had frogmarched Doohickey to the door when she heard the plan. She didn't appear to enjoy it but she wasn't resisting it either. Doohickey felt a general air of uncertainty surrounding Applejack, something she hadn't felt in her time. When the Tardis appeared Doohickey hung up the phone. Fluttershy flew out into the wasteland. A banging sound shocked everyone including Applejack, who fired a shot. It shattered the kitchen window. Fluttershy screamed and began crying. Doohickey's yelp reassured her though.

"Godangit!" Applejack shouted angrily putting her shotgun on the counter.

"Sorry! Sorry!" Ditzy called out. She had backed into the tractor and it had crumbled into rusted pieces

"What in! yer…yeh… GOSHDARNIT!" applejack yelled angrily, cocking her shotgun. "What in the hay is yer headless chicken doing here Fluttershy!"

"I'll have you know she's my headless chicken! Wait… is that an insult of some kind, I'm not good with those sorts of things…" Ditzy faced hoofed with the Doctor's comment, while applejack stared at the doctor in annoyance.

"Yeah, okay, 'm a gonna go back to sleep know, and stop sending yer ponies on my land…"

"NO!" Fluttershy screamed angrily. She flew right up to Applejack getting right into her face. "HOW DARE YOU! THREATENING A LITTLE FILLY LIKE THAT! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU! I'M ASHAMED THAT I EVER CALLED YOU A FRIEND!" Fluttershy turned to the doctor. "DOCTOR! WE'RE LEAVING!" she turned back to Applejack "GOOD DAY!" she then began herding Doohickey towards the Tardis. Doohickey went there at a full gallop, Ditzy beside her to shield her from harm. Fluttershy followed them. Half way between the Tardis and Applejack she paused and landed, before turning back to applejack, blushing. "Oh um, only if you want to, of course." she gave a strained smile before rushing into the Tardis. As the door closed, Fluttershy turned to the Doctor, who was gaping slightly. "What is it?"

"You…you yelled at her… dear lord Fluttershy I've never heard you talk over a murmur." The Doctor said incredulously. Fluttershy blushed and smiled again, squeaking.

"Now where did this adorable little filly come from? Here little one, have a bonbon!" Bon Bon said holding out a bowl of multicolored candies. Doohickey stared at this pony she'd never met before, she seemed some much more cheery then any pony she'd met before.

"Alright alright, clear off! Let me sound the roll call!" the doctor said. He went up to the Tardis and pushed a few buttons before holding another button and speaking into the microphone on the console "Roll Call! All of you lot, up to the control room then!" he released the button and walked up to Doohickey before leaning down "prepare for a bit of a stampede." He whispered in her ear. It certainly sounded like it. There was a deep rumbling some where from the hall beyond the door, before it opened and ponies surrounded Doohickey.

"Wow! A new filly!"

"A Pegasus too!"

"Hi, it's nice to-hey! Don't push!"

"My names is- I say! Get out of my way!"

"WILL YOU LOT STOP SHOVING ABOUT!" the Doctor shouted over the din. "Thank you! There's no need to swarm the girl, come on then, back up! One at a time now, if you please. Zecora." The doctor said nodding to the zebra in the line.

"For the first words I say thank you, it is nice to be first to meet some pony new. My name is Zecora, and I am a zebra you can see, I hope you are happy meeting me." The zebra said in her usual rhymes. Doohickey smiled. The Zecora of her time would always try and make silly rhyming phrases to make the foals laugh. She appreciated a glimmer of home.

"Nice to meet you, miss Zecora."

"I have never gone by miss, how have you come to know me as this?" Zecora asked with confusion.

"It's a common courtesy thing, Zecora, foals call old mares miss. Hey there little one, my name is Lyra! Lyra Heartstrings, a pleasure to be meeting ya!" the teal unicorn tipped her head to the little Pegasus. Doohickey stared at her. That was a name she hadn't heard in years! Her mum had cried at Lyra's hanging. Heresy they said, heresy against the queen. "Um, are you alright?" Doohickey shook herself out of her stupor.

"Oh, yeah, sorry, it's just… you remind me of somepony my mum talked about, somepony who died…"

"Oh, jeez, sorry." Lyra said backing away looking a bit sad.

"Hello, my name is Fluttershy, oh, but, um, you already knew that… um, welcome to the peace core, your safe here no matter what, I promise." Fluttershy said smiling sweetly. Doohickey smiled as well. In her time Fluttershy always worked really hard to make sure everypony was healthy and happy. It was nice to see her someplace more…free.

"Of course you already know the Doctor and I!" Ditzy said smiling happily before wrapping Doohickey in a big hug. "I am so happy to see you!" she flew around the Tardis. Everyone gave her a clear view. "Pretty neat huh! Bet you were pretty shocked too!" Ditzy said landing in front of her. Doohickey walked forward. Her Tardis, for lack of a better term, had been dusty and bare. This one was light and airy, there still wasn't anything in the room, but there were thing, doodads and whats-a-ma-jiggers, all over the console, plus the door to the hallway was open and Doohickey could see rooms in the distance. It felt like home, Doohickey realized. The console was like her papa's boxes and boxes of stuff. The rest of the space reminded her of her mum, or rather her mum's style. Simple and yet, warm and inviting.

"It's perfect…" Doohickey said smiling. Ditzy smiled too and trotted up to nuzzle Doohickey's ear. The Doctor smiled and ruffled Doohickey's mane. A streak of deep blue caught his eye for only a moment. His hoof flew to his pocket, where he kept the Tardis spare key.

"What's wrong doctor?" Ditzy asked finding his behavior strange. The Doctor put his hoof down.

"Ah, it's nothing! Thought I'd forgotten something, I'm alright!" he said smiling. He walked up to the Tardis console while the other's stepped forward to introduce themselves, and discreetly pushed a button.

"My name is Bon Bon. Sorry for scaring you earlier little one, I have been told I can be a bit, much, for the little ones." The cream earth pony said smiling sheepishly.

"Your alright! I was just a bit shocked, maybe a little overwhelmed." Doohickey said smiling.

"Here, now would you like a candy?" Bon Bon asked holding out the bowl again. Doohickey put her hoof in the bowl and drew out a blue and yellow stripped one. "Oo! Those are my favorite." Bon Bon said before winking and backing up for the last pony to introduce herself.

"Heytheremyname'sApplebloomohit'srealynicetomeetyaIfinallygettohaveanewfillyfriendohthisissoexciting!" the yellow earth pony filly with the big pink bow said this whole sentence in one breath, shaking Doohickey's hoof quite rapidly before giving her a very tight hug. Doohickey was quite shocked. This was Applebloom, THE Applebloom? Miss, go-away-and-leave-me-alone-can't-ya-stop-being-a-kid-fer-just-one-second. Doohickey blinked in shock. This was the first major change from her time, aside from death. "Um, ya do wanna be ma friend… right?" Applebloom asked looking a bit said. Doohickey looked at her then flattened her ears.

"Um, I guess…" Doohickey said. Applebloom smiled.

"I see you don't have you cutie mark…" Applebloom began.

"It's doesn't really matter." Doohickey interrupted disregarding it with a wave of her hoof.

"We'll have ta…" Applebloom stopped and looked at Doohickey wide eyed. "What did ya say?"

"Having a cutie mark… it doesn't really matter." Doohickey said. Applebloom looked a bit shocked, then downcast.

"Ya don't… ya don't care?"

"Well it doesn't seem important in the grand scheme of things, I mean, we're at war, aren't we?" Doohickey said. Applebloom cringed. The rest of the ponies cringed as well, looking at each other. "What exactly do you do here? In regards to the war." Doohickey asked. Fluttershy shook her head.

"No no, your too young to be wrapped up in those things, Applebloom doesn't fight and neither should you, your too little, leave the fighting to the grown up." Fluttershy said surprisingly firm.

"But I want to help! I'm not too little I…"

"I think its time everyone younger then Ditzy should go to bed." The Doctor said quietly. Doohickey felt betrayed, her papa never made her go to bed early.

"I'm younger then Ditzy by three months doc." Lyra said.

"Fine then, younger then Lyra." The doctor said.

"Personally, I think we should all go to bed, rest up so we can get up bright and early." Bon Bon said. The Doctor nodded. With that the fillies were ushered away by Bon Bon and Fluttershy. The rest of the ponies followed them. Except for Ditzy and the doctor.

"Doctor, are you going to bed? Ditzy asked worriedly. The Doctor was staring a the console with a dark look.

"She has three heartbeats."

"What?" Ditzy asked confused.

"Doohickey, I didn't trust her right away, something seemed fishy, so I scanned her, and the Tardis picked up three heart beats." The doctor said turning the console to Ditzy and playing the recording. A series of six beats played in a steady fashion. Ditzy was shocked, and then she turned to the doctor.

"Are you sure you didn't pick up more them one heart beat, apple bloom was touching her for more then a whole minuet."

"Well I suppose that counts for one, but what about the other one, I'm fairly certain ponies have one heart."

"Doctor, the Tardis is very, uh, inaccurate when it comes to scans. Remember that muffin last week, it though it was a duck…"

" Yeah, and my butter was a soltaren, she was having an off week." The Doctor said. Ditzy looked at him.

"Maybe she's having an off day then." Ditzy said patting the doctor's shoulder.

"I suppose, but I don't know Ditzy, there something… off, about her… she seems, mores familiar then she ought… it almost feels like… like the Tardis is welcoming her home."

"Doctor, I think your tired… you should get some rest." Ditzy said holding out a hoof. The Doctor looked at the console and back to her face. He shook his head and smiled.

"Your right of course, ah, it's the war, making me all paranoid," the Doctor walked a little slower and round the console. Preparing to travel "war doesn't suit me Ditzy…"

"I know, it makes you… different… I can't wait for the day when we can smile and have adventures again." Ditzy said flying beside the Doctor.

"Someday." The Doctor said pulling down the lever for the ignition. The whirling sound of takeoff rang though every pony's room. In her designated room, Doohickey smiled a little, dreaming of flying through the stars beside her father. Ditzy smiled laying a hoof on the Doctor's shoulder. "Someday…"

Author's Note:

A/N: Next chapter is when we reintroduce some important characters! That's also when the conflict stars, theses first few chapters are establishing plot and setting. To summarize: Doohickey is in a time period between her own and the downturn of the war. Her world is months away from becoming a reality; she just doesn't know it yet. I'm also going to post one-shots depicting the actions of certain characters. It will explain why said characters did what the did.