• Published 4th Mar 2015
  • 2,053 Views, 140 Comments

Life in the Fast Lane - The Wasteland Brony



What happens when a famous racing circuit collides with MLP, Applejack knows

  • ...
1
 140
 2,053

Chapter 5: Stay low in the turns

Applejack shut the car off. The roar of the engine was unlike anything she had ever heard before. The blood was still rushing through her veins. Jeff saw the look on the orange farmpony's face and remembered it well.

"Yup, I had the same reaction when I first turned the car on 23 years ago" Jeff said, laughing at the memory from long ago.

Then he started pointing out and describing to Applejack what the different gauges, switches and peddles did. Once Applejack had it all memorized, she felt like she was ready to go.

"So, what's next?" asked Applejack, eagerness in her emerald eyes.

Jeff handed Applejack her helmet. "Now, it's time to get you on the track"

Applejack took her helmet and put it on properly. Jeff helped her tuck her mane back up under her helmet. He helped strap her in and attached the air tube to the back of her helmet.

Applejack flipped the switch and the car returned back to life with a loud roar. Alan helped direct her as she shifted the car into reverse. She slowly backed the car out of the garage and back out into the sunlight. Applejack had first thought that the first time the car would move she would get intimidated, yet she felt like she was use to it even though it was her first time ever in a car altogether.

Applejack breathed out quietly to herself. "Wow, this is amazing"

Once she got the car moved out onto pit road, she parked the car in the pit box that was marked for her, Jeff's voice crackled over the radio inside her helmet

"Ok you already to go, Applejack?"

She smiled and was ready for the rush. "10-4 Jeff!"

"Alright, slowly accelerate off of pit road and onto the track. Once you get on the track, put the peddle to the floor and let it hang"

Applejack slowly pressed the accelerator down and headed onto the track. Once she got on the slick and beautiful pavement, she slammed the peddle down to the floor.

As soon as she did, the car roared down the track. Applejack felt a sensation she had never felt before. She was going fast, really fast.

This must be what Rainbow Dash feels every time she goes as fast as she can... She thought.

Applejack quickly shifted through the gears like she had been doing it for years, until she was in high gear. She got down to turn three and just like Jeff taught her earlier, she slowly eased the car through the turns. Once she crossed the line, Jeff's voice came over the radio.

"Alright Applejack, we're now timing your laps so we have something to work with"

"Roger that! YEE HAW!!!!" Applejack yelled lively, as she came back through cruising with serious speeds down the track.

There were five ponies sitting in the stands. A lavender purple unicorn, an alabaster white unicorn, a cyan blue Pegasus with a rainbow colored mane, a pink earth pony and a light yellow Pegasus.

Applejacks best friends in the whole world were there to watch their friend race a car for the first time.

"She looks like she's going faster than even you Rainbow" Twilight said, turning to look at her friend

"Pa-lease, I can go faster then these cars any day" Rainbow Dash said while smiling

Applejack eased through turns one and two, on the low line and was quickly through onto the back stretch. On top of the main grandstands, far above everyone and pony else, a white colt with a black and white mane and tail was watching Applejack through a pair of binoculars. Checkered Flag was recently hired at HMS and was training to be a spotter. He radioed down to Jeff.

"She's looking real good already down there Jeff. Car looks like it's running great" Checkered Flag added.

"Copy that Checkered. Keep me posted if the car looks like it's getting loose at all"

"10-4 Jeff" the colt responded.

Applejack was already through turn four and crossed the line.

*Click* went the sound of the lap speed stop-timer.


197.001 m.p.h


Jeff's jaw dropped at hearing how fast it was. He turned to Rick Hendrick, owner of HMS, who was sitting on top of the pit box with him.

"I think we might have something here Rick"

"You know Jeff, I think you're right"

Applejack blazed through the line again after another lap.

*Click*


199.021 m.p.h

Author's Note:

Well it took me all day but here you go everypony, chapter 5. This is the proof read edition, all updated

Again thanks to ElementofDestiny for becoming my proof reader on this story

And also thanks to Captain Alaska for allowing me the use of his OC Checkered Flag

Enjoy the chapter everypony