• Published 7th Mar 2015
  • 1,537 Views, 22 Comments

Love's many directions - Lunasservant1985



A human immigrant seeking work in Equestria is smitten with the music and personality of one Octavia Melody, but suspects it all may be for naught when he sees she is very close to another mare one night...or is it?

  • ...
14
 22
 1,537

A Lemon crush?....Or...Our hero buys a suit

It was a long week for me after that. I jumped through hoops just to make sure by Friday I would be ready to introduce myself to her. The first order of business was to assess my "assets", which by that I meant a metal Star Wars episode I lunch box I'd had since 1999 full of unspent bits. As a rule Equestria; even after we brought the concept over from earth, refused to adopt a system of paper money. No one ever gave a solid reason why but the best reason we ever got was because of the metal used in the minting of bits was a precious metal like gold, this backed up its economic value. The bottom line was, we humans (spurred by our natural tendency to carry a lot of money to buy a lot of what we either need or desire) found it very uncomfortable to have to lug Equestrian money around everywhere. for ponies it was no big deal, but to use all that weight piles up on your back and that's never good for anyone.



Why am I mentioning this here? I hear you say. Well from that first Saturday to the following Friday, that little lunch box I mentioned? It got a bit fuller than usual by my shopping day on Friday, and that coupled with other stashes of bits I kept around my house meant...









"Hey every-pony! Look at the human who thinks he's one of us!" Called a rowdy snobbish unicorn as I made my way to the train station. A lot of them pointed hooves at me and laughed, as I had a backpack slung over me, and it was full to to the top with heavy bit coins. I made my way aboard the train with as much pride as I could while being mocked by Canterlot ponies. I paid the fare for a one way to Ponyville.












I was making my way there because out of principle I refused to use the Canterlot banks, they had a way of making it very difficult for most humans (migrant workers at least) to work with them and keep accounts there, big talk with balances and interest rates and all that jazz, so I wont bore you with the details. After my bits where safe save some I was going to need, I first made my way to a little shop that bore an uncanny resemblance to a merry go round. With its tiled roof in a cone slant topped with a big red flag fluttering in the wind the windows displaying pony mannequins in glass windows that on occasion would indeed revolve and display the hoof made wares...Carousel Boutique








Sure the day was a little overcast, but the Pegasus ponies only called for it to keep the crops from drying up in the sun from over exposure to it. The day may have looked ominous, but that meant nothing when it was merely how things worked here. Why should I worry? I crossed the threshold a big happy confident smile on my face and one word on my lips...










"Showtime!" As I entered the shop I noticed very briefly two mares leaving it, both in...let's call it close proximity to each other, but I'll get back to that later. The Carousel Boutique though a popular place for the equines to buy fashionable clothes, had only recently adopted two changes in order to suit the merging of the two worlds, the first was the new display mannequins of humans, these new displays where set up to indicate to shoppers that, yes the store now did indeed carry clothes made for human customers and the other new change? well it was...












"Greetings valued customer, welcome to the Carousel how may I further make my parents question if they made a mistake?" Said a very unhappy looking guy in a white CB uniform of a pressed white shirt and slacks with Carousel Boutique on the back in blue gemstones.

"She makes us wear these get ups you know. Goddamn ponies."


" Hey pal, What's your problem with them? They let us live here, they give us work what more could you want?"

"I just sold a dress to two mares."

"So?"

"TWO mares?!"







"Oh," and here I can no longer ignore the pony in the room. Equestria had and has, a long history of having no gripes with same gender....OK same sex we're all adults here, same sex couples, they have ALWAYS been an aspect of life in their world free from any taboo. Now please don't get me wrong I never directly or intentionally had any problem with two HUMANS that loved the same sex back in my own world. Who you choose to feel love for is not my place to be judgmental over, not at all.














Though I must admit, I have to make a very controversial confession to make. It's something about myself I'm not by any means proud to say I have. I don't want anyone or any pony to get the wrong idea about me or see me as some hateful, horrible person; so here it goes. Whenever I see two people or I guess in this case two ponies of the the same sex clearly in love, I don't know why but I get an uncanny desire to get angry. Angry at everyone and everything around me, and I get an urge to just lash out, rant and rave at everything like a stark raving maniac for almost no reason. I want you to understand that even though this feeling just surges through me, I have NEVER acted on my sick issues, not ever to my recollection at least, and secondly I don't understand why this happens to me. What is it? Suppressed frustration? Jealousy when it's triggered by the sight of two females because of a subconscious thought of them being unattractive to myself for being a male? Or is my mind trying to unleash suppressed homophobia that could label me a hateful bigot that deserves scorn for my thoughts?









I cannot stand having this thought, this...problem. I don't want to be angry or hateful, I want to just go about and not care who loves whom, but I can't and its a cycle that is driving me out of my mind.











If it feels like I'm rushing through this bit; I am. It's because in the grand scheme of things, its of no importance, nor is it a matter of major concern, not at this point at least. Shall we resume?




"You know, I just don't get guys like you." "Here you are in a world where the air is almost pure oxygen, the food fresh and grown as naturally as possible, and the equine inhabitants have welcomed us all with open arms, yet after that after all that, you still see this as a place fit only for the childish or feminine and can't accept or move past your first world societal stereotypes or expectations." "So why don't you just go back to earth and bitch and moan about it to someone who cares?"

"You know what?" "I'm gonna do just that." He threw his uniform shirt off nonchalantly and walked away, I never saw him again.


"You don't have to fight our battles for us you know." I heard a small voice with a touch of an accent behind me interject. I turned around and if I hadn't had my eyes set on...somepony (Uh...Celestia this is going to take some getting used too) else, then the unicorn I looked right at would have stolen my heart back. She was alabaster in coat with an indigo mane that was perfectly groomed and bouncy. Her eyes shone back at me a lovely blue that seemed to covey a simultaneous sense of appreciation for what I had done, but also a deep feeling of being too proud and assertive with herself to have wanted it.

"I'm only trying to do what's right Ms. Not be a knight in shining armor, even though there is a saying back in my world, Chivalry is dead."

"Well, I appreciate your nature, but baring my employee loss may I help you?" She said giving her hair...mane a playful flick and flip over her head, and a smile that made the whole room light up. I started giving the unicorn a description of my suit just as i saw it in my dream, as I did the stranger aspects of this world showed it's self. A long roll of tailor's tape flew across the room and almost smacked me square in my face as it unfurled and took my measurements. Waist, legs, feet (with shoes on) shoulders to arms, my fingers. the bridge of my nose, she left no inch unknown.

"heh, your quite...through with this ma'am."

"well, you must be new around here to not now I take the utmost care to satisfy my clientele, be it they walk on four legs or two." She happily claimed as the appropriate colored fabrics flew out and she got to work sewing them into my suit.

"you...don't seem to want to talk too much darling." I had something of a reason for that, back home most people who worked in stores are trained as part of their application process, to ignore politely and get the customers to not talk with them. I know this first hand from this one time I personally tried to apply for a job at a department store just before i emigrated to Equestria. On earth people who work in big name chain stores and other big name merchandise companies are trained as the store is a place of business, they need to shuffle customers in and out of the stores as quick as possible without actually forcing them along to do anything, It was the sad truth, you think they are genuinely friendly and interested in you and your stories and plans; only to learn its all a fake, just business.


I had to remind myself that this was a very different world, a world that moved at a slower less self or financially motivated pace, and the friendly demeanor and open drive for conversing with a customer in this place, was real. The unicorn making my suit wanted to really get to know me as more than a source of bits.


"Well Ms.ummm" I began not sure of the tailor mare's name


"It's Rarity darling, not ummm."

"OK then, Ms. Rarity I've been around for a human, what do you wanna talk about?" I began even though she seemed just about done.

"I'm all ears if your an open book." she replied keeping up her playfulness and cheery nature. With that I sat on a nearby cushion and told her...not my Entire life story for the simple reason that she was almost finished with her work, but also because i didn't want to go too far ahead so soon. One thing of many that i really tried to sidestep was...well.


"Then there's the whole adjusting to this place, being human and all...." I said before clapping a hand over my mouth realizing what I said. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean it....Like that Rarity"


"Like what darling?" She asked only raising her eyebrows a bit a giving me a look.


"I I ummm didn't mean to come off as sounding offensive to you or well...this place...this world. I love it here, but it's just that I'm different. From a different world too. If you only knew what I left behind." She trotted away from the sewing machine and more than ready suit and placed a a hoof over my shoulder.


"What? exactly did you leave in that world dear?" She asked sincere and deeply.

How do you go over how much of a terrible (for the most part) of place your home is? those solemn but intrigued eyes that expressed an interest in hearing of it, no matter how grim the truth may be. As much as it pained me, I told the unicorn every detail I felt she ought to know, from how there was or is evil in my world more powerful than any she and her friends had ever faced to how some of the worst of my kind don't want to try and make a difference for the better but instead find a sick joy in making the suffering of others into jokes and laughter.


"And they have ridges for ribs that drop off into empty chests as if their hearts are all stolen treasures*" I said to her almost as if making a confession. Looking over to her, I say she wasn't upset or even shocked, but concerned as she looked at me with those eyes of bottomless generosity.



"But dearie, that's not the kind of human you are" She said lovingly placing a hoof on my shoulder.


"Could you look me dead in the eyes and believe me if I told you that personally?"


"If I couldn't, would I be so willing to listen to you opening up like this darling?" She said lifting my head up with her free hoof.


The soft smile and tear in my eye, was the only answer she needed.

Author's Note:

* paraphrased from "Troll" by Shane Koyczan