• Published 11th Feb 2015
  • 1,086 Views, 29 Comments

The Eyes Are Blind - Fe94Knight



A colt, with a broken mind, and a gift he sees as a curse more often than not. A mare, looking for a companion, and willing to help him pull the pieces together.

  • ...
1
 29
 1,086

Chapter 9

Chapter nine

A wonderful spring air wafts through the open window of the quaint little cottage at the edge of the Badlands. The evening sun starting to peak down towards the horizon, as it gives off its final rays of sunlight. Although farther south than many would have gone, even if they wanted to stay away from prying eyes. Golden is more than happy to call this place, home. Looking out the window for what would have to be the hundredth time in the last six months. She’ll never tired of the sight she sees every time she does.

The fresh grass that spans over the field that they have around their house, gives a wonderful scent in her nose as the wind picks it up. While the house sits in between the several trees that dot the area to give much wanted coverage to her husband as he uses his magic to work a hoe, and turn over some of the soil in the ground. A creeping smile edges its way on her face while the golden eyed ex-lunar guard rests her head down on a hoof while watching him work.

“All this planning, all that we had to go through, to get away from it all. I could have done it easily,” A bead of sweat drips down his brow as she watches, and lands in the soon to be garden that she hopes to grow with him, and their child, “However, you loved the guard, and you gave it up for me. Thank you, Sky.”

Shadows finishes her muttering as she hoists up a tray with a pair of glasses, and a pitcher of virgin strawberry cordial. Walking out the door, and in to the grass as it runs under her hooves. Something that seems almost alien to her. Having grown used to the bricks, and tile of Canterlot in the last few years she was stationed there. Golden is learning to appreciate the feel it has, as she makes her way over to her stallion, who leans himself up against one of the trees to take a much needed breather.

“Well I can safely say I will never catch you lying down on the job,” she teases him while pouring a glass for them both before sitting next to her husband, “I would be helping you know, if it wasn’t for my… Err, condition.”

His light hooves wrap around her protruding waist line, and pulls his pregnant mare in to him closer. Nuzzling her neck all the same as she presses further in to him, “I’m happy to have you in this condition. It gives me a chance to play homemaker for once, and soon enough we’ll be a family, with a foal of our own.”

“Considering our child was technically conceived out of wedlock…” Golden grins her fangs a bit at their seemingly careless mistake, “…I’m glad that Fall Cloud was able to help us in getting our relationship, official.”

She admires the simple hoof ring that she wears now. No flare to it, no extensive jewels, just a golden band with a trio of small cut diamonds in them. To the naked eye, it’s a ring that many mares would be chasing after the stallion who put it on, all the way back to the jewelers, to get a new one before they had to find a new mate. Though even with its simplicity, Golden wouldn’t have it any other way. To her it’s not the gift itself, but the one it comes from, that matters.

“Even going to the extent to sign the marriage certificate as a witness himself,” Sky fiddles with an equally simplistic horn ring that he wears to match hers, “The risk of him doing such a thing could land us all, even him, in a deep hole.”

“We both knew the risks, the first time we shared that moment together atop the wall.”

“Where we had our first kiss…”

“…That lead to so much more,” she nuzzles the end of her nose in to his, before giving a light but sweet peck on the lips.

The action getting an equal, but opposite reaction out of the foal that is now ever present in her belly. The soft kick to her outer wall, jarring Golden up from the restful position as a small flood of pain sweeps over her. Showing it ever clearly across her face.

“Either our kin has more of a leg than his father, or something else is in play,” The soon to be father reads his wife’s face like a book before settling her back down, and feeling the foal on the inside do what he can only guess are barrel roles.

“It-It’s just been a while sense I had any real,” she pauses for a bit as another wave of pain subsides, “well… meat,” Golden laps her lips at even the thought of a fresh cut lying in front of her, rare with blood drenching the sides of it.

An odd request for one that is normally a vegan species, but for her breed. The hunger for flesh is just as natural as the fangs they are born with to do the killing themselves. To her surprise the first time that she, and Sky ever shared a meal together. When she ordered meat, he didn’t even bat an eye at when the seemingly loving, and pretty mare devoured it up in a few bites (Having not eaten earlier that day, and hunger pains getting the best of her). Certainly not the best first impression to have, with what would one day become her significant other, but never the less it worked.

The extra nourishment in the lunar guard’s diet that they would get from the sustenance of another living creature, would give them a significant advantage over their Celestial counterparts. The extra protein that they would get from the meat, gave those lunar guards added strength and recovery. However, there was also another gift that they would get. Taking in the expended life force of another seemed to give an additional boost in those lunar guards that were born as unicorns with a curved horn atop their head. Their dark magic, and enchantments that they have access to became more potent as a result, and would allow even a basic level mage guard to hold their own against others far more powerful. Although both Lunar guards, horned and winged alike, experienced better, and faster healing as a result of the consuming of flesh. On top of all of this, they lived seemingly longer than others as well. Though this was never able to be answered by any that tried to study it. Either because the lack of participation, or the fact that it would take many years to do so. Needless to say, not many other ponies were all that thrilled to be studying another that they think would leap across a table and try to eat them. For the most part, their recovery abilities were explained away with the additional nutrients they would get from red meat.

That said, their gift doesn’t come without its own faults. For a Lunar guard that hasn’t weaned themselves off the taste of blood properly, and over time. They tend to have bouts of weakness, and simple things can lead to pain coursing through their body due to withdraw. A condition that Golden is now going through. Having not touched meat sense being out here with her new husband. She cut the habit cold turkey, no pun intended, and is paying for it. Having a foal inside you, who likely has the same hunger, doesn’t help the matter as the pain is amplified even more.

Though even more surprising than his reaction to her feasting on flesh in front of him for the first time. Is Sky Streak’s reaction to her pain coming from the very life inside of her, as it too wants to feed. Using his magic to lift the mare atop his back, Golden slumps over top of him and tries to figure out what Sky is doing while he begins walking towards the house. Using his horn to push the door open without even a second thought to what he is about to do, or even a word to his mare.

“Sky? What is it? I know I don’t have my usual spunk,” Shadow tries to lighten the mood, “Though that’s to be expected when I haven’t-”

“I know, dear,” He cuts her off while resting her gently down on the living room couch, and brings a blanket up to her neck, “You need extra nourishment from meat. It’s in your nature to eat flesh, and not eating it outright, makes you weaker. Blah, blah, blah I know it all.”

Mhmm is this just what you’ve picked up from seeing me over the years?” She muses while noting the smirk that seems to grow on his face the more he talks.

“Well kind of… I did however also raided the Canterlot library, and learned several things about lunar guards when I seriously considered dating one,” Before she can counter with any sort of smart comment. Sky swoops down, and kisses her atop the forehead. Pulling back just as fast, as he heads towards the door, “You stay here, and get comfortable. I’m going to go get my lady something more proper for her to dine on tonight, rather than whatever her knight can muster up.”

Her ears instantly perk up at what this means he is about to do. Something that no matter how much she knows he loves her. Golden still finds rather hard to believe all the same, “You mean you’re going to… Kill for me?”

“Yes.”

“Like food?”

“No a sacrifice to my goddess,” He rolls his eyes sarcastically.

“Like going out to hunt, murder an animal so it will be dead, gut it, butcher it, and then cook it for me to eat?” She pesters while breaking down the process. Trying to dispel any sort of doubt in her mind that he is joking in the matter.

“Well when you say it like that…” Sky pauses for a moment to build the suspense, “yes my love. I am going to get you red meat,” He answers while putting his old guards sword on his side, sliding the helmet over top of him just to give some protection in case anything else is looking for a meal out there as well, “Don’t worry dear, I’ll be okay, and this really shouldn’t take long.”

With those last words Sky Streak takes off out the door in search of some flesh for his beloved as she lays there on the couch baffled at his actions. Yet at the same time pleased that she managed to find a stallion willing to go out of his comfort zone, and kill to get her something that she needs at the moment.

“In both Celestia and Luna’s name…” Golden props her head up on a hoof, smiling while she listens to the light clops of her husband going out on the hunt, “I love you, Sky Streak.”