• Published 11th Feb 2015
  • 1,083 Views, 29 Comments

The Eyes Are Blind - Fe94Knight



A colt, with a broken mind, and a gift he sees as a curse more often than not. A mare, looking for a companion, and willing to help him pull the pieces together.

  • ...
1
 29
 1,083

Chapter 5

Chapter five

The bumpy train ride does little to sooth the now departure of the life that Sky Streak has come to know, and love. The other Canterlot guards that he has grown close to as friends with over the years. The many (if not few, and far between) adventures that he’s had in the guard. The travels across Equestria, and other nations nearby as a result that he has gotten to experience. All of it now only going to be a memory in his mind as he attempts to start a new life out in the badlands to the far south of the Equestria central lands.

‘But for you,’ He strokes the soft purple mane of his beloved Golden Shadow as she rests her head down in his lap, ‘I would cross the great oceans if that’s what it would take for us to be together.’

Leaning down, and planting a light kiss atop her head. Only can he smile, as she coos under her sleep ridden breath while turning about to a more comfortable position. Both of them having gotten on the train separately, and removed their armor to make the trip more comfortable, But also to avoid suspicion. Golden has remained in his lap sense then, while her colt stares out the window at the scenery that passes by though the window. Though many of the sights of trees, and mountains off in the distance start to fade away.

Already having been on the tracks for several hours. The sun has started to dip further down to the horizon line as the evening takes hold of the day, and night will soon follow. The slight rumble in the cabin that they share with one another, grows more apparent as the colt realizes it isn’t the train making it. Looking down his mare’s stomach he can even see it vibrate some as her gut growls for sustenance.

Hehe, we both could probably use some food in this case,” Streak reasons to himself as he props her head up, and slides a pillow up underneath to make it seem like he hasn’t even left.

Giving her a few moments of peace to make sure she still sleeps soundly, before heading out of the cabin, and to the mess car. The now ex-guard waltzes up to the counter to look as casual as possible while he rests his hooves on its edge.

“Good afternoon, ma’am,” He grabs the attention of the unicorn mare manning the grill.

“Oh hello sir,” She perks up at the sight of the guard in front of her, “What can I get for you today, or well, this evening?”

“I don’t know really what you have to offer at this time, but if possible, a few vegie subs would be nice?”

‘Hmm I think I can whip something up for him, but two?’, “Not a problem sir,” She waves him off at the ease of the request. Taking out two rolls, and a variety of vegetables for the meal while slicing the bread down the center with a little help from her horn, “One sub coming up for you, and a travel companion? I would guess.”

“A rather hungry one at that,” He snickers while he, and the mare engage in small talk with one another.

Trying his best not to give off too much information on his part, but keeping it polite with the matter. In no time at all, the mare has finished up on the two late night meals for Sky, and Golden on a small tray.

“Have a good trip sir,” The unicorn mare calls after him, “Always a pleasure to the help the Royal Equestrian Guard.”

“Thank you for your hospitality,” He answers back to her, while carrying the tray in his own magical grasp down to the cabin.

Not bothering to announce his presence in an attempt to not wake up his mare in the process. Sky cracks open the door, and catches himself staring at a sight that captivated him the first time he ever laid his eyes on it.

Golden rests her head on a hoof, while looking out the window at the setting sun. The soft yellow, orange, and red tint to the setting bouncing off her unique eye color, and giving them an even more vibrant appearance to complement her already fine physical form. Streak only wants to stand there, and relive the memory of when they first met. One of the most defining times in his life, and one that can only be trumped by one soon to come to them.

Beautiful,” He mutters under his breath. Caught in a spell that she seems to cast on him while she can’t even use magic. Still, his hushed words are enough for her over tuned ears to pick up on.

“Oh dear, How long were you standing there?” She fumbles to right herself while in the seat. Taking note of his grin that starts to grow ever wider on his face with every passing second. The answer becoming ever more obvious as time goes on.

“Long enough I take it then?” Golden scoots over so he can take a seat beside her. Nuzzling up next to him while they both take a view at the outside. The subs almost forgotten for the time being.

“Sorry about that dear, just had a little blast from the past. Do you remember when we first met?” he asks the bat pony, with her head up upon his chest.

“I don’t think I’d still be here, if I didn’t,” The fond memory replays in her mind as they both go through the motions with one another, “Late night watch. You, and I had to walk around the castle perimeter just at a time like this, with nothing more than to twiddle our hooves to pass the time.”

“The outer wall. The sun glancing over the ramparts, just enough to catch you in the right light,” Sky runs his tongue along the back of her ear.

The nearly silent giggles piping up in her throat from the act, while she tries to maintain some sort of composure around him. Rather hard to do when one considers that they haven’t been able to itch a certain scratch for the past two months. Mostly due to timing, but Shadow knows that this isn’t the time, or place. Not with others so close to hearing distance.

“You know what that does to me,” She playfully brushes him off while she picks herself back up, “As I recall, your exact words were-”

Your eyes rival that of the lunar princess’s own moon, in their sheer beauty, and elegance,” The words from his mouth brush past her while they sit in each other’s hooves in the cart without a single care in the world. A heart felt tear falls away from the mare while she thinks of those words being uttered by a guard so sweet, and kind. When many of his fellow brethren only would turn away, and shun one like her.

“Kinda corny when you think about it,” Golden teases before pressing a little more in to him, “but with those words, I all but melted in your hooves,” Thankful that his warm body has stuck by her through the several years they’ve been together. Never faltering once, never treating her with any sort of malice, and never regarding her as anything less, than the pony she is now.

“And I’m sure glad I did,” Golden twists her head around, and pulls him in to an embrace with her leathery wings.

The soft coos of the mare, meeting the slight gasps of her colt while they display their affection to one another openly. More than happy that they don’t have to try, and sneak out for those light night meetings, or get their schedules the same so they would see one another at work, or even the many times they would meet up in the privacy of a hotel. Where their rooms would just happen to be adjoining.

A hushed ‘I love you’ passes between their open lips, as they don’t even have to say it for the other to understand what the other is feeling on the inside. Though in the back of Sky’s mind he knows exactly now what they have done, and how it will be viewed by others, “We’ll still have to keep our relationship secret to some extent. Even out here in the Bad Lands.”

“I know dear, I know,” The grave reminder now first, and foremost in her mind at the time.

As they both sit up a bit from their moment, and take in to account what they have to look forward to. While at the same time the plan they have in place to keep things as normal as possible. Sky levitates the tray over, and passing her the much needed meal, as she nearly gulps down half of it in one go without even a second thought.

“Sorry that it’s all they could manage,” He gives the much unneeded apology. Even though he thinks that he should, “If I asked for anything with blood dripping down the sides, it may have gotten a little weird for the cook.”

“Oh don’t worry about it dearie,” She rests the side of her wing on his shoulder, “Besides, if I wanted my share of blood, all I have to do is go at your neck.”

“You mean like our first time sleeping together?” He plays with her, while taking out a notebook from his bag in the corner. He too, only took the essentials, and this being one of the most important, “Our contact in the area already has our house being built there. Under a different name of course, but our pension from the guard will still show up to the small town, and will have to be picked up as well.”

“On top of that the nearest guard outpost is about fifty miles from that town, and sixty from our, soon to be, quaint little home,” She looks over the note book. The planning that they have gone through to make sure this all works out smoothly, so they can have their life together is apparent in the many nights they would spend with each other to make it come true, “The town has all the provisions we could need, and according to my friend down there. Even seeds, so we can grow some of our own food.”

“Territory secluded for the home?”

“Of course,” Golden checks the note on the area even more, to ease his mind out of its strain, “Low traffic of any pony coming that way. Not much to see after all. In an open field with sparse trees around, but enough for some cover. On top of that, the doctor in town is a friend of my friend as well.”

Sky looks down to make sure the information that has been passed off to them seems legitimate. Seeing as if they are found out, many of their kind don’t like the intermingling of the two guards, and on several occasions. Have taken to more drastic measures of harm when it comes to relationships that may occur between them.

“Are you sure he’ll help us?” Sky rests a gentle hoof on her stomach. Rubbing it lightly as the life inside of her grows more every day.

“Don’t worry now, our child will be okay. No matter what the little tike may look like.”

“I’m only concerned for his safety, Golden. After all with you being a lunar guard, the likely hood of him taking after your side is-”

Evenly with the same chances of him, or her for that matter. Taking after your side, or after both,” Shadow good-humoredly shoves her colt a bit in the seat after cutting him off, “You worry too much, my dear. Alone, and away from any other pony, is probably the best our child could be. With things how they are, between the two fractions of guards.”

“On top of this,” He lifts up her chin to meet his, “No matter how our kin turns out. Lunar born or a Celestial child. I wouldn’t trade his mother for any other.”

The sweet sincere words fill her mind once more, as they embrace with one another, and lean back on to the bench in the cabin. Lip locked with each other, as long as were, when they first started to see each other. The couple passes the time by in their quaint surroundings. Looking forward to what they have set in motion.

Seeing as they can’t go back at this point.